Michaels Employee Reviews

Always on the go
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
There is never a dull moment in a store like Michaels. Whether it be that the store is out of stock on a particular item or that a customers coupon is not scanning there is always something to be done to make a customers experience perfect!
Pros
employee discount is imediately affective
Cons
the program used for checking schedules
Demonstrated effective time management
Certified Custom framer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2016
Successfully created and built layouts for client’s art pieces using companies visual framing components in conjunction with visual Photoshop computer program designed to mimic the finished project of their art piece(s)
Pros
Art classes available
Cons
Hours not steady
Fun people to work with
Captain of Fine Arts/Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
I only worked here a short time, but I worked the early morning shift, receiving the truck, stocking shelves, following floor plans when changing things around for each season, and keeping the shelves clean. The staff was great fun to work with, the management that I worked with was good and I absolutely loved working there. I loved setting up the new floor plans for the seasonal isles, i loved keeping things clean and organized. The only part I didn't like about the job was receiving the truck in the middle of winter, as it gets extremely cold, and the fact it wasn't full time.
No hours/ unreasonable demands
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
I truly do not like working for this company. No employee recognition. In need of a second job just to pay for essential living expenses including rent, food, even razors to shave. Extremely unorganized. Low Moral with every employee. Very outdated working processes. Took over 4 weeks before i was given anything to sign for working at Michael's. Talked down to by warehouse manager because of the unreasonable demands from upper management. Poor communication between managers, also between management/employees and employee to employee. Extremely tired of this company.
Customer Service Represenative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta Canada25 November 2016
Fun, family friendly place to work. I found this job to be perfect employment for myself. Shifts & hours for work were the perfect fit for my schedule
It is fun working place.
Sales Associate Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Managment is excellent and very cooprative and helpful.Co-workers are good. Everyday there is new to learn. Most enjoyable part is when i have teach crafts to kids.
Taught me a lot with working retail.
STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB21 November 2016
As a high school student with a job at Michaels' part time, I honestly believe that the entire experience of the Michaels job was amazing. Usually, I was working the floor as a sales associate, although I was cross trained to literally every position available, aside from support specialist.

Replenishment is a fast-past job with always something to do; whether it was stocking shelves, building "drive aisles" (portable aisles), or unloading the trucks that came in, it was always very fast paced.

Cashiering is also a fast paced job, but has a lot of down time during the evenings in non-season (pretty much from February through mid September).

Sales Associates/ Customer Experience Associates are a sometimes hectic job, but there is always something to do on the floor. Downstocking, recovery, and serving as a backup cashier are all daily activities done by the sales team.

Classroom associates are obviously trained and taught how to do their respective classes. The "leaders guides" are very hard to follow, so many instructors just do their own thing. A colored printed version of the leaders guide would help this tremendously.

At the store I worked at, I believe that during seasonal (early November- January) we were understaffed. Sundays were the worst as the lineups would be 20 customers long with a whopping 2 cashiers and a manager working the registers. No possibility of getting extra associates in without district or zone management approval.

Communication among co-workers is great. Everybody knows everybody by name, and there is no "bad blood" within the
  more... team.  less
Pros
15 Minute paid breaks, Every associate has an RF gun which is useful for seeing if we have any items in stock or on order, every associate has a portable radio which is amazing for asking questions
Cons
Very un-organized and inconsistent schedule, lack of communication with district and zone management, under-staffing, maintenance issues take forever to be resolved, associates need managers key to open lock-ups.
Wosrt management team i have ever seen
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St catharines12 November 2016
Management alway in bedlam,talk about staff negatively behind their backs in a condescending way
First day thrown onto cash with barely any training or
Supervision
No support from management
Pros
Emoloyee discount
Cons
Poor workplace due to poor management
Management doesnt know what they're doing
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2016
I liked my actual job, but the assistant manager was like a squirrel, and could not give clear instruction. She was mean to employees. You'd start something you were told to do and be pulled off. Then she'd wonder why you weren't finished.
Pros
The customers were usually in a good mood
Cons
Not many hours
terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS3 November 2016
Store manager was anything but professional and felt the need to lie about the hiring process and treated people as if they were stupid.
Fun place to work
Replenishment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON27 October 2016
Other than getting up at 4 a.m to start at 5 a.m. for replenishment, it's a fun place to work. The other downfall is that they don't use a radio station, they use a loop track so you hear the same holiday tunes day in and day out unfortunately.

Replenishment could be done in the evening as opposed to in the morning, and I think this would be beneficial, especially for employees who live on private roads in bad storms. As these employees can't get to work. Even regular roads aren't plowed this early.

For this job you have everything explained and after a while your left to your own devices, and you get to set-up store displays. Which is really exciting! Downfall to that being that customers tear it apart really quick.

I would work full-time at Michaels.
Pros
lunch hour, fun environment, creative outlet
Cons
extremely early, loop track
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON25 October 2016
Michael's was a nice environment to work in. Co-workers were friendly and management motivated the employees. Very excellent place to work for an at heart crafter.
horrible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON11 October 2016
Id always try my best to have fun and make my work fun and enjoyable but anything i didnt differently i would get critisized for it, the managers are rude and i would not suggest getting a job atthe michaels in orangeville
Good atmosphere between management and employees
STOCK PERSON (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2016
I enjoyed my time there, The work was often varied which kept it interesting. Wages not bad. Encouragement was existent. People mostly smiled. Employees were encouraged to learn.
Pros
Fun
Cons
was hard/ impossible to get on full time in order to have benefits
A very rewarding job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 September 2016
Michaels, overall was a very fun place to work. The team I was able to work with always made me feel very comfortable and at home. The managers were very fare about scheduling and had a great attitude. The hardest part about my job was having to handle upset costumers. However, the staff was always able to put a smile back on my face when I had had a bad day. I really enjoyed working for this company. It is a great place to work if you are just trying to save up some extra money.
Fun Place to work
Sales AssociateCashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
Avery fun place to work. An excellent management team and staff. A wide verity of thing to learn, to be able to serve the customer better, and all of it free.
Typical retail job.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 August 2016
Typical day at work:
- Providing customer service to help customers identify products, direct them to appropriate departments, and recommend additional products or alternatives through knowledge of products and store
- Multi-tasking between different positions and tasks

What I learned:
- Because customers come from all walks of life, being open minded, culturally competent, and patient is needed
- To work as part of a team and individually
- To juggle different tasks and positions at the same time; cross-trained in different positions (cashier, sales associate, replenishment staff, support staff, class programs)
- To work under a face-paced environment during peak hours
- The importance of peers through mentoring and training other employees

- Management can be a hit or miss
- Pay is good for retail, with annual raises
- Flexible hours for students
- No benefits unless full-time employee
- Work hours vary, depending on position, sales for the week, and personal availability/schedules
- Duties vary depending on what is needed for the greater good of the business

Hardest part of the job:
- Lots is expected out of employees with little to no rewards or incentives
- Not a rewarding job
- Meeting e-mail and customer satisfaction quotas
- Not getting work duties done in time due to being cross-trained in different areas, juggling multiple tasks at once, or short-staffed
- Being on my feet all day

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- Co-workers who make work fun and enjoyable
- Co-workers who are understanding and encouraging
- Most enjoyable
  more... part of the job is being able to do arts and crafts with children
- Interacting with customers who understand that working retail isn't always easy and is often under-appreciated
- Potlucks that occur very now and then
busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 August 2016
loved all the craft discounts. also helped do children's birthday parties and craft demonstrations .Coworkers were very helpful when I had questions'
Pros
discount
Cons
The worst place I have ever worked
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 August 2016
A typical day working here is being told you're not doing good enough or you don't know enough compared to someone who has been there for years before you. I was forced to take on more than I could handle while management sat around doing nothing. You call the manager for help and they ignore you or take their time getting to you so if customers get angry it's you who looks bad and not them. The quality of work you put in means nothing compared to the quantity of emails your collect for the store which is absolutely ridiculous. Management also chooses favourites. I've never been happier than I was when I quit this job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Favouritism, no hours, poor management
Great place to work if you are creative, not so great for pay if you live alone.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 August 2016
I enjoy working there for the most part, co-workers are great, pay and benefits not so much. If you are sharing rent with other people then it is a good place to work, especially if you are creative.
Pros
Get to be around other artists and art supplies, 30% discount on almost everything.
Cons
low wages, low hours

2.9