Michaels Employee Reviews

A very rewarding job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 27, 2016
Michaels, overall was a very fun place to work. The team I was able to work with always made me feel very comfortable and at home. The managers were very fare about scheduling and had a great attitude. The hardest part about my job was having to handle upset costumers. However, the staff was always able to put a smile back on my face when I had had a bad day. I really enjoyed working for this company. It is a great place to work if you are just trying to save up some extra money.
Fun Place to work
Sales AssociateCashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 13, 2016
Avery fun place to work. An excellent management team and staff. A wide verity of thing to learn, to be able to serve the customer better, and all of it free.
Typical retail job.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 20, 2016
Typical day at work:
- Providing customer service to help customers identify products, direct them to appropriate departments, and recommend additional products or alternatives through knowledge of products and store
- Multi-tasking between different positions and tasks

What I learned:
- Because customers come from all walks of life, being open minded, culturally competent, and patient is needed
- To work as part of a team and individually
- To juggle different tasks and positions at the same time; cross-trained in different positions (cashier, sales associate, replenishment staff, support staff, class programs)
- To work under a face-paced environment during peak hours
- The importance of peers through mentoring and training other employees

- Management can be a hit or miss
- Pay is good for retail, with annual raises
- Flexible hours for students
- No benefits unless full-time employee
- Work hours vary, depending on position, sales for the week, and personal availability/schedules
- Duties vary depending on what is needed for the greater good of the business

Hardest part of the job:
- Lots is expected out of employees with little to no rewards or incentives
- Not a rewarding job
- Meeting e-mail and customer satisfaction quotas
- Not getting work duties done in time due to being cross-trained in different areas, juggling multiple tasks at once, or short-staffed
- Being on my feet all day

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- Co-workers who make work fun and enjoyable
- Co-workers who are understanding and encouraging
- Most enjoyable
  more... part of the job is being able to do arts and crafts with children
- Interacting with customers who understand that working retail isn't always easy and is often under-appreciated
- Potlucks that occur very now and then
busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONAugust 20, 2016
loved all the craft discounts. also helped do children's birthday parties and craft demonstrations .Coworkers were very helpful when I had questions'
Pros
discount
Cons
The worst place I have ever worked
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 16, 2016
A typical day working here is being told you're not doing good enough or you don't know enough compared to someone who has been there for years before you. I was forced to take on more than I could handle while management sat around doing nothing. You call the manager for help and they ignore you or take their time getting to you so if customers get angry it's you who looks bad and not them. The quality of work you put in means nothing compared to the quantity of emails your collect for the store which is absolutely ridiculous. Management also chooses favourites. I've never been happier than I was when I quit this job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Favouritism, no hours, poor management
Great place to work if you are creative, not so great for pay if you live alone.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 15, 2016
I enjoy working there for the most part, co-workers are great, pay and benefits not so much. If you are sharing rent with other people then it is a good place to work, especially if you are creative.
Pros
Get to be around other artists and art supplies, 30% discount on almost everything.
Cons
low wages, low hours
Great work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 2, 2016
I have been working at Michaels for just over a year now and I absolutely love working there. My managers are wonderful and I love all my co-workers. Everyone is alway helpful when you need them. 99% of the customer that come in are amazing. Ther 1% are the customers who insist they get coupons that don't even apply to the products that they are purchasing. The managers do a great job at working around my busy university schedule and I am very greatful for that. Overall I love working at Michaels.
Pros
Co-workers are wonderful
Cons
Customers with the coupons
Job satisfaction working with customers for project completion
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCJuly 21, 2016
We would start with communication with store manager or assistant store manager for directives for the day. Usually restocking of shelves upon receipt of merchandise. Customer service priorities.
I learned a lot about the retail environment from budgeting to scheduling and also the inventory replenishment. Friday would be add set change over which was very fun to do. A daily function was to greet and offer customer service to clients. I found that very rewarding as they would usually come back and show me pictures or tell me of their experiences.
Hardest part of the job was the weekly changing of our schedules , example never knowing when you work.
It was a great team and enjoyed working together.
Pros
Up to date product knowledge, learning new crafts
Cons
Shift work
Amazing costumers and co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBJuly 9, 2016
Everyone working there is always happy and kind. 99% of the costumers that come into the store are also happy and kind. I have made a lot of friends working at Micheals.
Fun and encouraging work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJuly 6, 2016
I had a great time working here. My co-workers were friendly as well as my managers. It was rewarding helping customers find what they need as well as making sure they left happy.
Pros
Lovely work environment, Friendly staff, Nice items
Okay
Replenishment Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJune 29, 2016
Working here I gained experience and experienced how hard it is to work retail and stock the shelves in a timely and efficient manner,
Cons
few hoyrs
Wish I never worked there!
Sales Floor Associate and Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONJune 26, 2016
Having a Bachelors degree in Fine Arts I thought Michaels would be a great and fun place to work. I have worked for other retail chains in the past with around fifteen years in retail. My husband had the chance for a military posting out of area, so I left my job of nine years.
After a year of looking I finally found a job at Michaels. Great with my creative background this should be fun! It started out o.k. Until a new store manager arrived. I made it known from the beginning with both the new and old manager that I was was on a Military posting and in time will be moving back. They were both understanding, at least I thought!

It came time for my return home, instead of two weeks notice I gave two months! The next day my hours dropped to 26 a week to 18. By the time I got to my last two weeks of work my hours dropped to 3 hours a week. When I asked my manager about my hours, I was told it was because I was moving. And he wouldn't waste giving me hours. This was said in front of other employees and management. I took the matter to head office and still nothing! It has been a year now!

I am a military wife, mother and an artist and I no longer even shop there! I will never work for a company that treats their employees this way.
Pros
30% discount, easy to get extra hours
Cons
Bad scheduling, no weekends off
Fun, Exciting, Challenging, Friendly
Certified Custom Framer - Silver certification (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJune 16, 2016
As a certified framer everyday was different. Our customers would supply us with a variety of different types of art to frame which made it both exciting and challenging. My co-workers are amazing we are all like a big family which is nice to see in such a big cooperation. I would say that the hardest part of my job is when pieces of art are for memorials of family members of all ages. The most enjoyable part is seeing the final outcome regardless of the situation. I have learned so many different things the most important is listening to the customer and learning how to read in between the lines as far as what the customer is wanting there piece to look like along with making it fit in there home and or someone's décor.
Cons
Hours are not stabalized
Great place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Truro, NSJune 13, 2016
working at Michaes was a fun time. getting to work with the kids taught me that you can have fun at work. I was a little on the uneasy side because the hours were given out weirdly.
Pros
able to learn and grow.
Cons
low hours for not getting emails.
letting staff know you have arrived. Straighen area, let customer know your till is open
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Common EdmontonJune 9, 2016
Letting staff know,you have arrived, told which cash to start on.
Mistakes on the register (voiding out a transaction)
Good to work with, coworkers. Helpful when needed. Floor staff,not very prompt for a price check.
Having to do a price check, with other customers waiting.
Pros
Praise for doing a good job.
Cons
No one willing to go the extra mile. And do a price check, for another area.
Great atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSJune 9, 2016
Great staff to work with, job wasn't necessarily easy but it definitely wasn't difficult. Received great guidance from supervisors and managers.
Practical, hands - on workplace with a productive envoirnment
Mechandiser / Set-Up Crew (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 8, 2016
On a typical day at work, me and my co - workers strive to achieve the day's objective. I enjoyed the creative and productive environment. But the management was new and was not able to co assist with the team due to inexperience in the workplace. Yet my favourite part was doing interior designing in the store.
Pros
Store Display, and a creative envoirnment
Cons
New Management -
Loved it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
I loved working here. Very fun place to work at. An excellent choice for people who are looking for their first retail/cashier job and don't know where to start.
Pros
Good management, fun and creative environment, strong team culture, some room for growth
Cons
Low pay
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONMay 22, 2016
Customer service is an asset in this company. Peaks and lows and when its busy time we must learn to be happy at all times. Very nice company to work for
Loved working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
I learned how to create shelves,
learnd to stock the shelves
learn how to open and close the store by cleaning and tidying the store up at schedled times.

2.9