Michaels Employee Reviews

Great workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 January 2017
Michaels is a great place to work with friendly workers and clear, set responsibilities each day. Management does everything they can for customers and associates to accommodate their needs.
I loved working here
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2017
Even though I only worked here a few months, I loved it. I wish I could be a part of the Michael’s team for the long run. There are no complaints from working there. The management is great and the staff works really well together.
Productive, quick pace with weekly ticket draws for money
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 January 2017
Micheals was a very fun place to work, the work itself is very repetitive and very easy to do. the other workers leave you alone and allow you to do your job and are very nice. management can be a little hard to approach but they run very efficiently. the whole job was very easy but also very fast.
Pros
good pay, short hours
Cons
replenishment is part time only
Great leads and architects
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Irving9 January 2017
Learnt a lot. Excellent team. Many projects and lot of scope for learning. Leads encourage when you propose new solutions. Great location and they try to use the latest versions of the software.
Poor place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 January 2017
Poor wages. They pay minimum wage regardless of experience. Manager is age discriminate. Any seasonal help that was over 50 was released at the end of season. Younger people were kept on regardless of job performance. I would never work at this store again! Manager says one thing and does another.
Pros
Only plus was discount and fellow employees.
Good Work environment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 January 2017
Flexible hours after months of working, great fun place to work at, good discounts and perks. Great work environment with other co workers
Pros
flexible hours and great environment
Cons
no full time, no benefits
well run store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS6 January 2017
the stores managers were very nice. the other workers were easy to get along with, giving a friendly welcoming workplace. store is always neeat and tidy
overworked but loved co-workers
Replenishment Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 December 2016
Enjoyed working with a wonderful crew. Some management were wonderful to work with. Very high turnover rate of employees and managers often due to being over worked and under payed most of the time. Very few hours for part time staff outside of Christmas time. The company doesn't seem to screen their managers very well for qualification.
Pros
loved my co-workers
Cons
over worked, low pay, few hours for part time staff, high turnover rate of employees & managers
good job for crafty and creative individuals
presentation replenishment manager (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON28 December 2016
This company is an excellent company to work for if you are a creative and crafty individual. Those with those 2 characteristics will strive with this company as everything revolves around new ideas.
Busy and fun place to work with an okay pay.
FT Framer (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON28 December 2016
I actually really like working at Michaels, but I wish they paid better. Working full-time and not being able to afford the basics like an apartment and a car really gets to you.

Working in framing is really fun, if that's the kind of work you like to do. It's a lot of sales, and a little bit of making frames, but it's still a lot of fun if you're good with your hands and like sales in low pressure environments.

Co-workers, at least at the store I work at, are actually awesome. Which is something I'm not used to. They're helpful, but not all that communicative which is fine if you don't mind that sort of thing.

The job isn't hard because I enjoy it, but some of my coworkers seem to have trouble staying organized. On the other hand I love the fact that I'm always busy with stuff to do at Michaels, it's never boring.
Pros
enjoyable, creative
Cons
low salaries, communication issues
too many changes
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 December 2016
schedule changes too often can never plan anything. Planning is terrible always move things in store from week to week. Difficult to be productive too many people telling you what to do
Organized and Beautiful. Lovely atmosphere.
Sales Associate, Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2016
Warm introductions from co-workers, keeping organized and product knowledge, management was okay, stocking, the atmosphere of the store.
Pros
Knowledge about the products
Cons
No direct buses to East Hills, You can not review your schedule online or call and ask when you work
Always on the go
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
There is never a dull moment in a store like Michaels. Whether it be that the store is out of stock on a particular item or that a customers coupon is not scanning there is always something to be done to make a customers experience perfect!
Pros
employee discount is imediately affective
Cons
the program used for checking schedules
Demonstrated effective time management
Certified Custom framer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2016
Successfully created and built layouts for client’s art pieces using companies visual framing components in conjunction with visual Photoshop computer program designed to mimic the finished project of their art piece(s)
Pros
Art classes available
Cons
Hours not steady
Fun people to work with
Captain of Fine Arts/Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
I only worked here a short time, but I worked the early morning shift, receiving the truck, stocking shelves, following floor plans when changing things around for each season, and keeping the shelves clean. The staff was great fun to work with, the management that I worked with was good and I absolutely loved working there. I loved setting up the new floor plans for the seasonal isles, i loved keeping things clean and organized. The only part I didn't like about the job was receiving the truck in the middle of winter, as it gets extremely cold, and the fact it wasn't full time.
No hours/ unreasonable demands
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
I truly do not like working for this company. No employee recognition. In need of a second job just to pay for essential living expenses including rent, food, even razors to shave. Extremely unorganized. Low Moral with every employee. Very outdated working processes. Took over 4 weeks before i was given anything to sign for working at Michael's. Talked down to by warehouse manager because of the unreasonable demands from upper management. Poor communication between managers, also between management/employees and employee to employee. Extremely tired of this company.
Customer Service Represenative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta Canada25 November 2016
Fun, family friendly place to work. I found this job to be perfect employment for myself. Shifts & hours for work were the perfect fit for my schedule
It is fun working place.
Sales Associate Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Managment is excellent and very cooprative and helpful.Co-workers are good. Everyday there is new to learn. Most enjoyable part is when i have teach crafts to kids.
Taught me a lot with working retail.
STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB21 November 2016
As a high school student with a job at Michaels' part time, I honestly believe that the entire experience of the Michaels job was amazing. Usually, I was working the floor as a sales associate, although I was cross trained to literally every position available, aside from support specialist.

Replenishment is a fast-past job with always something to do; whether it was stocking shelves, building "drive aisles" (portable aisles), or unloading the trucks that came in, it was always very fast paced.

Cashiering is also a fast paced job, but has a lot of down time during the evenings in non-season (pretty much from February through mid September).

Sales Associates/ Customer Experience Associates are a sometimes hectic job, but there is always something to do on the floor. Downstocking, recovery, and serving as a backup cashier are all daily activities done by the sales team.

Classroom associates are obviously trained and taught how to do their respective classes. The "leaders guides" are very hard to follow, so many instructors just do their own thing. A colored printed version of the leaders guide would help this tremendously.

At the store I worked at, I believe that during seasonal (early November- January) we were understaffed. Sundays were the worst as the lineups would be 20 customers long with a whopping 2 cashiers and a manager working the registers. No possibility of getting extra associates in without district or zone management approval.

Communication among co-workers is great. Everybody knows everybody by name, and there is no "bad blood" within the
  more... team.  less
Pros
15 Minute paid breaks, Every associate has an RF gun which is useful for seeing if we have any items in stock or on order, every associate has a portable radio which is amazing for asking questions
Cons
Very un-organized and inconsistent schedule, lack of communication with district and zone management, under-staffing, maintenance issues take forever to be resolved, associates need managers key to open lock-ups.
Wosrt management team i have ever seen
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St catharines12 November 2016
Management alway in bedlam,talk about staff negatively behind their backs in a condescending way
First day thrown onto cash with barely any training or
Supervision
No support from management
Pros
Emoloyee discount
Cons
Poor workplace due to poor management

2.9