Michaels Employee Reviews

didnt work here long
Cashier/stock (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 December 2017
great place to work. down side is there is lots to know with minimal training. expected to know where everything is even though you are never allowed to leave the till. smell of the store can get to you depending on the time of year.
Pros
work with crafting supplies
Cons
expectations with no proper training
Absolutely awful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kelowna5 December 2017
Awful management. Refuses to send ROE for months. Poor customer service. If you try to call they will put you on hold for 30 minutes until call disconnects.
Pros
Cons
Management customer service hours
great people to work with
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON4 December 2017
no issues easy to do the job that is requested of me, the people are welcoming to me allows me to do my work without incident. I love the hours I work I still get to enjoy the rest of the day.
would not recommend
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB3 December 2017
i enjoyed working here for the first week but the mood of some managers changed and became very unapproachable and rude to associates. management did not care about the treatment of associates, we were spoken to rudely, and constantly sworn at. management knew about these problems and nothing was ever done. not sure if it's just this location or if more are like this.
Pros
Cons
few hours, low pay
Fun environment inspiring creativity
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB23 November 2017
A typical day is scanning and bagging customers' purchases, learning about their projects, offering helpful tips. Management encourages a team-building environment. A positive, energetic, organized, clean place to work.
A place where the schedule is flexible
Entretien (Former Employee) –  Lachenaie, QC22 November 2017
Having a job there and being a student is easy since they are very aware of the situations a student can face. They offer flexibility in changing days off to more convenient days.

Working in the back-store is hard work, but it is very lively and time goes by quickly.

Sometime the management can be a bit... rough but it's not impossible to talk to the higher-ups they are very open to talking and making the job environment better.
Michaels is a very good place to start out
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK21 November 2017
Michaels is the perfect starting point. The management is very professional, and they help their employees, in multiple different ways. It is a work environment that encourages mental health and does what it can for those with poor mental health.
Good working environment but physical demanding
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2017
It was really physical demanding job. I was also getting less hours than I was expecting.Colleagues and Managers were helpful and cooperative, I love that store.
Work hard and keep your head down
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON15 November 2017
Great staff, however the protocols and timelines for completing tasks is unrealistic and inflexible.
Constantly under scrutiny and under pressure.
Schedule is hectic
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
listed above
Weird Company with nowadays outdated junk product
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON11 November 2017
Seasonal hire 10 years ago as multitasker (store next to Ottawa IKEA) was mostly enjoyable until what wound being my last shift, where the manager was slightly stoned on crack... especially a young senior staffer, who came back from break obviously TOTALLY WHACKED OUT... He was actually walking around the store going woo-ooh...
fun workplace
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 November 2017
most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and becoming friends with most of my coworkers, got to make crafts most everyday with kids. Management though never really listened to what their associates had to say
Environnement propice aux premières expériences dans le milieu du travail
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC24 October 2017
J'ai été engagée par l'entreprise Michaels au tout début de la construction du magasin. Je commencais donc au même niveau que tous les autres employés: la nouveauté.

J'ai donc été formé dès le tout début pour plusieurs postes: caissière, service à la clientèle, commis à l'approvisionnement, comptabilité des caisses. De plus, je donnais des cours de bricolage aux enfants les fin de semaine (gardiennage pendant que les parents magasinent).

L'aspect le plus difficile du poste était le changement fréquent de gérant du magasin. Chacun avait leur méthode de travail différente et leurs attentes face aux employés. Nous n'avions donc pas le temps de terminer notre adaptation puisqu'à chaque 3 mois, un nouveau gérant se présentait. Cela manquait donc de stabilité, car habituellement j'ai de la facilité à m'adapter, autant dans ma vie personnelle que professionnelle.

L'aspect agréable de ce travail était la satisfaction d'aider les clients. Comme mentionné ci-dessus, en ayant été présente au tout début de l'ouverture du magasin, j'ai pu bénéficier d'une excellente formation pour connaître nos produits et accomplir les aspects de différents postes et cela m'a été très utile dans le futur pour répondre aux différents besoins des clients et leur donner le meilleur service possible.
Good for part-time hours only, best for short term employment
Replenishment Team (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS18 October 2017
Typical days can be mostly predictable, but very hectic and poor communication at times for what people need to be doing and when. This could depend on which manager you are working with that day.

Most shifts are around 4 hours, rare to get more than that in a day, and rarely more than 12 hours a week. Schedule planning by management is unpredictable and can change without notice.

The staff themselves get along really well, which is what makes the job incredibly enjoyable.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I have a chance to help the workplace be more productive and lively, and to expand my knowledge on how operations work in different areas.
Cons
Lack of hours
Cashier
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 October 2017
I was a chashier for Michaels for over a year and I found it a great job. Same as any other cashiering job it includes a lot of standing and customer service, but it is enjoyable and loved helping customers during their craft shopping experience.
Pros
Great work environment if you love creativity and crafts!
good place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 October 2017
Good place for a starting up job, the staff is good, the place is mostly clean and organized, overall like the place. recommended for a starting up job.
Pros
good place
Cons
hours
Management is awful!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2017
When i first got the position, they never gave me any information! About dress codes, or direct deposit, pay stubs, the whole bit. They just neglect to inform their employee's about anything. Not to mention the management was rude, and inconsiderate to mental health issues when needed to book a day off.
Not a bad place to work
receiving/shipping clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2017
I worked as a night crew loader so it can wear you out after a while of working that shift, its a good place to work in between finding something bigger and better, thats about it, though.
Excellent work experience
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 September 2017
Working there I learned many things, however, the management wasn't the best. There was a lot of favouritism and I didn't want to work in an environment like that.
Pros
Worked with my friends
Cons
Favouritism
good workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 September 2017
The company was pretty decent to work for. the pay wasn't that good. They didn't acknowledge that I was working for the company for over a year when, they would recognize other staff members. The people were friendly. The overall experience wasn't what I though it be.
Michaels was alright
Replenishment associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON19 September 2017
Even though i was there for 3 years at 2 different locations (pickering and kanata) it was incredible. Pickering was a family who respected each other and worked with each other to get the job done within the time frame we were given. The kanata location was toxic and I can't really say anything more.
Pros
free breakfast, employee discounts
Cons
3 am start times, heavy lifting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9