Michaels

Michaels Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Dead end position unless you have management experience
customer experience associate (Current Employee), Brampton OnSeptember 30, 2012
Pros: the staff i worked with was great
Cons: late evenings and not enough hours to go around
I've been with Michaels as an associate for over 10 years. I'm still a part time associate. When they changed the store positions I tried to apply for a management postion but didn't have any previous management experience.
A typical day is greeting customers and trying to keep the store clean also backing up cash.
My co workers are easy to get along with, management is willing to help you out. If you want to move up you have to apply internally or move to another store where the position is available. I bend over backwards for customers and the store and never received any recognition for my services, even though I have let management know that I'm interested in promotions rewards.They also started associate of the month, a class instructor got it instead of an associate.
You will learn a lot about crafts, organizing and prioritizing customers. You may also have to deal with upset customers if the managers are busy with a conference call or other things. You will also learn about policies and the pros and conds of how big box companies work.
The hardest part is dealing with people that think there isn't enough people working there or that the lines are too long when we have all the registers open. Or when you're the only person on the floor during busy times and being pulled in a million directions at once. Some times I want to ask if they would be willing to work until 9:30pm or longer on Saturday night.... Which is what I usually get stuck with. The most enjoyable part of the job is actually beng able to help some one find what they need or make them feel more confident about – more... their projects.
Scheduling can be a problem; some times availability gets ignored or they ask you to come in when you booked time off. Some times the only hours I get is on weekends and if I need a weekend off I won't get any hours during the week. Also I've noticed if I take on extra hours one week my hours would often get cut for the next week. My manager was just told to hire 6 new people and they don't have enough hours to go around. If they scheduled better then they wouldn't have to hire people.
I don't have much of a life out side of Michaels because I'm always working on the weekends or evenings, they don't give me enough hours to make a living off of this place. I've tried to get other jobs but things never work out and one of the managers has thretened me with firing me if I wasn't able to keep them a priority. Even if they do give you a raise it's not even noticable until you look at your pay check. – less

February 6, 2013

Also when I transferred from another store the manager I previously worked for location "lost" my employee records so I never received my 10 year reward at my current location.

great place to work
Support specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: great environment always learn something new all the time
Cons: late delivery, going to the bank daily
My shifts starts at 8 in the morning starting counting tills that's being use the night before. Open the store system make sure all cash is running each register have money by 9 morning meeting with staff about sales, our progress and special of the day for about 10 minutes get my deposit ready file away paper work from previous day by 10 do all my write off for damages , stolen items etc expect ups by 11 received all items thats being delivered make daily deposit to the bankt. At around 11:30 have a coffee break after words start all my price changes for the store order any supplies that needed such as coffee, toilet paper , garbage bags and so on my shifts usually ends around 1 -1:30
Replenishment
Replenishment (Former Employee), Deerfoot Meadows, Calgary AlbertaJune 12, 2014
Pros: occasional free lunch, salary, co-workers
Cons: managment, tiresome
Well the job was alright. I mean it is retail. I really liked it at first. The first 3 months everything was almost fun. I worked at the Deerfoot Meadows location. The management was not so great.... They went through three different managers within the 9 months I worked there. The general manager would tell me to do one thing while my replenishment manager would tell me to do another. They time you when you stock. I don't think it is a horrible thing but they don't take into account the time when you walk away from the product to help a customer. So they come back and aren't pleased that your first job wasn't done. Well, they say customers come first... They shouldn't get mad if it isn't done "on time"
I am ok if we are working toward goals but nagging about it doesn't help.
Co-workers are fun.
Best People. Fun job. Always work to do
Sales Specialist (Current Employee), North Bay, ONJune 19, 2015
Pros: Happy work environment
Cons: I want to buy everything but can't.
Michaels North Bay is the best place i have ever worked. Management is amazing. They care about their employees as people not as just "workers" I have learned so much about things one might not expect and there is always opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of the job is getting enough hours, however, if you do your job well and show up on time they will always try to give you more hours when they are available. I enjoy every part of this job.
Everyone makes it a fun environment while still getting work done. Balanced.
Customer Service based
Sales Associate and Instructor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 21, 2014
A typical shift involves serving customers and ensuring they have an excellent experience to bring them back again in future.

I learned a lot about how to deal with customers who didn't get quite what they were hoping for. How to diffuse a situation effectively to reverse the negative opinion that may have been formed.

Management was tough on us, but they really just wanted the business to succeed and customers to have excellent service.

My co-workers were amazing. We were always willing to help one another out and work as a team.
Fun workplace which enhanced my work ethics
Cashier (Former Employee), Newmarket OntarioMarch 21, 2015
At Michaels I was a cashier so my job each day was to cash out customers when they were ready to cash out and ensure they were satisfied with there customer service that they received. I was also responsible for helping any customers that needed help locating a product they were looking for and answering any questions they may have about any products. From this job I got a better understanding of the system and programs that they used which enhanced my technological abilities. All of the employees were great people to work with and made it an even more enjoyable place to work.
fast paced workplace with awesome eployers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABDecember 11, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: break times
A typical day at work for me would be getting to the till and ringing customers in. I never know when or if i am going to get a break. I learned that you have to be fast paced and collect a lot of emails. The management at Michaels is well mannered. My co-workers are amazing people. The hardest part of my job is collecting the amount of emails they want. The most enjoyable part of my job is making sure all my customers are happy.
Great environment and great people
Sales associate (Current Employee), Saint-Laurent, Montreal, QCJanuary 14, 2015
In a day of work I would do cashier or be on the floor as sales associate. I enjoy helping customers & introducing them to our products. Team work is used a lot in my environment & I find that very important because being sociable is the first step to making our customers satisfied. Sometimes it gets hard when customers get rude, difficult and others, but it's up to us to keep up the good spirit. I learned to be a good sales associate, a organised cashier & most importantly I love my job!
Great place to work always something new arriving
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Kingston OntarioJune 26, 2012
Pros: lots of staff incentives
Cons: long hours and late night
Lots of customer interaction, learned to deal with many different types of people management was always very reassuring and helpful.
We always had lots of well trained and friendly staff at hand. Since we often had classes and events for the customer this made the job very enjoyable.
The hardest part was if we ran out of something and had to tell some it was available anymore so we could not met their needs.
Hectic but fun when the hours are up.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), St. John's, NLMarch 2, 2015
During the Christmas hours it was hectic.. and I loved it! The fast pace, the happy customers buying their products, it was all so fun! The employees were all so friendly, it was like a family away from home. The hardest part for me was leaving, I had to move across town and it would have been harder to get to work. Plus the hours after Christmas decreased dramatically, so it wouldn't have covered much of my travel expenses. All in all, it was a great place to work.
Easy and fun place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJuly 6, 2013
Pros: employee discounts, ability to manipulate shifts, nice co-workers and customers
Cons: location not ideal for those who bus
Fun place to work at, as everyone there is nice. Seasonal periods are busy and harder to manage, but make time fly faster. My most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to go home after a good day of work.

The hardest part of my job is in terms of my location, bussing is not trustworthy in this Michael's Location in Millstream.
Fun work enviroment, educational, excellent customer service/knowledge
Pet Care Assosiate (Former Employee), Okotoks, ABOctober 30, 2015
Pros: good hours, kind work enviroment, great customer service
Cons: no benifits
Pet Smart was an excellent company to work for. The training was thorough, managers were patient and very supportive. It was personable and every one got along. We were extremely involved with our customers, providing great information and assistance for their pets. They treated me well as an employee, fair with wages and hours.
Enjoyed the work, not the manager.
Sales Representative/Certified Framer (Former Employee), NanaimoMay 15, 2014
I worked at Michaels for a couple years and it was great. Great staff, I enjoyed the work as a certified framer. Then we got a new store manager, Josh, and he was terrible to his staff. He belittled us often. Everyone got together and talked to the regional manager, had a meeting with Josh and talked about our experiences with him. He gave us an "apology", but nothing changed. So I quit. Couldn't handle it.
Seasonal Part Time Cashier Position
Seasonal Part Time Cashier (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONOctober 12, 2015
Pros: Flexible Work schedule, short commute to work
Cons: Seasonal position did not lead to permanent position
Primarily responsible to processing customer purchases and returns as required. The biggest challenge was processing purchases within a limited time period. Questions and inquiries would need to be identified before the sale is entered into the cash register. Enjoyed meeting the various customers and learning about their various crafting interests.
Good customers, strange rules on physical look for staff
Seasonal Cashier (Current Employee), Micheal's West VancouverNovember 9, 2013
Cons: not enough hours, terrible uniform
A typical day is quite busy. I've learnt about working in a large company and how that differs from a small business. My co-workers are totally fab. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make the customers happy.
Love my Job!
cashier (Current Employee), Red Deer, AlbertaOctober 28, 2015
Pros: Management, hours, customers
Cons: So far, none to date.
I started working at Michaels about a month ago and absolutely love my job. The people are wonderful, management is great and I love dealing with the customers day to day. I do have an interest in crafting so I find it enjoyable to see what comes through my cash each time. I would highly recommend working for Michaels.
• Over 5 years of experience in customer service • Adaptable and flexible individual who is willing to learn and apply new skills efficiently • Reli
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 8, 2015
Over 5 years of experience in customer service
• Reliable, respectful toward others, and dedicated to get the job done
• Able to adapt to a fast pace, ever changing intense environment with minimal supervision
• Able to effectively deal with difficult issues with sound judgment
Great people to work with
Replenishment associate (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABNovember 23, 2013
Pros: getting to see all the cool crafty products
Cons: early hours
I enjoyed working at Michaels, the people are great. I learned about the different product that they carry and what to recommend. Management does the best that they can, though not always prepared. The hardest part was probably the early hours and trying to remember where they kept moving everything to,
I don't kow what to write here
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Saint John, NBSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: i enjoy the place and people
Cons: not enough hours
The reason why I am still looking for a job/career is that I am only getting 8-9 hours a week here. I would like a full time or part time job to supplement this, since 8-9 hours does not pay the bills. Other than hours, I do like working at Michaels.
Fun and Energetic workplace. It allows creativity to flow.
Cashier/ Sales associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2015
The thing I enjoy most about this job is being able to connect to customers through creative ideas. At times, I will be able to help someone find a new creative way to use products. Other times, customers help me with solutions to a difficult craft when I'm stuck.
Headquarters