Michaels

Michaels Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not a fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, OnFebruary 25, 2014
Cons: the store manager was intimidating and constantly made her employees cry.
The store manager was mean and rude, and constantly made employees cry. She was intimidating and never helped. She enjoyed putting people down. This was not a nice place to work at
Surrounded by Creativity
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Prince George, BCFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: creative environment
Cons: long hours
Michaels was an incredibly rewarding place to work - I loved the creativity that surrounded the staff and company. The management and co-workers are highly helpful and intelligent. The hardest part was learning the ins-and-outs of the job.
Micheal's
Customer service (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCNovember 28, 2013
Fun Part time job
not a career as they only pay min wage unless management
Great people to work with
Replenishment associate (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABNovember 23, 2013
Pros: getting to see all the cool crafty products
Cons: early hours
I enjoyed working at Michaels, the people are great. I learned about the different product that they carry and what to recommend. Management does the best that they can, though not always prepared. The hardest part was probably the early hours and trying to remember where they kept moving everything to,
Good customers, strange rules on physical look for staff
Seasonal Cashier (Current Employee), Micheal's West VancouverNovember 9, 2013
Cons: not enough hours, terrible uniform
A typical day is quite busy. I've learnt about working in a large company and how that differs from a small business. My co-workers are totally fab. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make the customers happy.
great place to work
Support specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: great environment always learn something new all the time
Cons: late delivery, going to the bank daily
My shifts starts at 8 in the morning starting counting tills that's being use the night before. Open the store system make sure all cash is running each register have money by 9 morning meeting with staff about sales, our progress and special of the day for about 10 minutes get my deposit ready file away paper work from previous day by 10 do all my – more... write off for damages , stolen items etc expect ups by 11 received all items thats being delivered make daily deposit to the bankt. At around 11:30 have a coffee break after words start all my price changes for the store order any supplies that needed such as coffee, toilet paper , garbage bags and so on my shifts usually ends around 1 -1:30 – less
Easy and fun place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJuly 6, 2013
Pros: employee discounts, ability to manipulate shifts, nice co-workers and customers
Cons: location not ideal for those who bus
Fun place to work at, as everyone there is nice. Seasonal periods are busy and harder to manage, but make time fly faster. My most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to go home after a good day of work.

The hardest part of my job is in terms of my location, bussing is not trustworthy in this Michael's Location in Millstream.
Fun workplace, not a career
Floral Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2013
Pros: fun, creative
Cons: weekends, low pay
I learned great customer service skills

Very fun, creative work environment
very interesting
Office Administrative Support & Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 20, 2012
I began here 2 years ago and i gained alot of good work experience that had lead me to new opportunities.
Dead end position unless you have management experience
customer experience associate (Current Employee), Brampton OnSeptember 30, 2012
Pros: the staff i worked with was great
Cons: late evenings and not enough hours to go around
I've been with Michaels as an associate for over 10 years. I'm still a part time associate. When they changed the store positions I tried to apply for a management postion but didn't have any previous management experience.
A typical day is greeting customers and trying to keep the store clean also backing up cash.
My co workers are easy to get along – more... with, management is willing to help you out. If you want to move up you have to apply internally or move to another store where the position is available. I bend over backwards for customers and the store and never received any recognition for my services, even though I have let management know that I'm interested in promotions rewards.They also started associate of the month, a class instructor got it instead of an associate.
You will learn a lot about crafts, organizing and prioritizing customers. You may also have to deal with upset customers if the managers are busy with a conference call or other things. You will also learn about policies and the pros and conds of how big box companies work.
The hardest part is dealing with people that think there isn't enough people working there or that the lines are too long when we have all the registers open. Or when you're the only person on the floor during busy times and being pulled in a million directions at once. Some times I want to ask if they would be willing to work until 9:30pm or longer on Saturday night.... Which is what I usually get stuck with. The most enjoyable part of the job is actually beng able to help some one find what they need or make them feel more confident about their projects.
Scheduling can be a problem; some times availability gets ignored or they ask you to come in when you booked time off. Some times the only hours I get is on weekends and if I need a weekend off I won't get any hours during the week. Also I've noticed if I take on extra hours one week my hours would often get cut for the next week. My manager was just told to hire 6 new people and they don't have enough hours to go around. If they scheduled better then they wouldn't have to hire people.
I don't have much of a life out side of Michaels because I'm always working on the weekends or evenings, they don't give me enough hours to make a living off of this place. I've tried to get other jobs but things never work out and one of the managers has thretened me with firing me if I wasn't able to keep them a priority. Even if they do give you a raise it's not even noticable until you look at your pay check. – less
I don't kow what to write here
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Saint John, NBSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: i enjoy the place and people
Cons: not enough hours
The reason why I am still looking for a job/career is that I am only getting 8-9 hours a week here. I would like a full time or part time job to supplement this, since 8-9 hours does not pay the bills. Other than hours, I do like working at Michaels.
it was a very learning experience
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONSeptember 4, 2012
I loved working for Michaels and meeting all types of people
Poor place to work
Replenishment (Former Employee), New Minas, NSAugust 18, 2012
Pros: great customers
Cons: poor management, broken promises, poor paperwork from head office for employees
One of the worse places to work, poor management, no advancement, broken promises, only advance friends not good workers. Took them over 3 months to get me my ROE. One sided towards management. Poor training methods.
Great place to work always something new arriving
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Kingston OntarioJune 26, 2012
Pros: lots of staff incentives
Cons: long hours and late night
Lots of customer interaction, learned to deal with many different types of people management was always very reassuring and helpful.
We always had lots of well trained and friendly staff at hand. Since we often had classes and events for the customer this made the job very enjoyable.
The hardest part was if we ran out of something and had to tell some – more... it was available anymore so we could not met their needs. – less
Horrible Management
Arts and Crafts Department Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, AbertaJune 16, 2012
People I worked with were great. Management on the other hand, were poorly managed. People were being let go every time I turned around and became one of them. Turns out, they were going under..
Fast paced environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MIApril 17, 2014
Hectic times around the holidays, but overall a nice place to work.
easy fun work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 16, 2014
Great job to have just starting out, simple and easygoing environment.
Very Unorganized Company
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Arlington, TXApril 15, 2014
Did not enjoy working in a stressful atmosphere. Customers were always unsatisfied, and complaining. Store manager always talked down to me condescendingly, refused to rotate positions, and didn't give any opportunity. Wasn't flexible and wouldn't give me a requested day off. Inconsistent hours.
fun and productive
Cashier (Current Employee), 1804 N. Woodland Pk Dr layton utah 84041April 13, 2014
I cashier, clean, stock, and answer phones. Management is great. they let us know what needs to be done
It's ok
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee), Dunwoody, GAApril 9, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: environment, policies
It can be very stressful. On a typical closing day mon - fri there are 4 people closing (one being a framing). It would be nice to have more people closing. Some manager as well as co- workers are fun and great to be around, and some you just have to get use to being around. I've learned a lot here with all of my positions.

1 2 3 4 5

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates¬†about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more