Michaels Arts and Crafts

Michaels Arts and Crafts Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
This is not a review of this employer.
Customer Framing Associate (Current Employee), Barrie, ONApril 19, 2015
I would recommend this employer to those looking for a job when the opportunity should arise. The best way to get an opinion of this company is to talk to those who work there.
intresting and most of the time a fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee), Barrie, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: customer interaction
Cons: not enough hours
as a cashier I have many duties such as handling cash, Customer Service product knowledge, computer system techniques . Etc.
Management most of the time are flexible and able to cooperate with my schedule They can be difficult to work with most of the time and lack communication between employees and management they just have to be approached a certain way.
co workers are amazing to work with, very Friendly and easy going.
The hardest part of the job is knowing product and what each is used for. I am a quick learner so I catch on pretty quickly though.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customer's.
if you like to come up with
Receiver And Floral Department Manager (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 5, 2015
craft ideas on the spot for moms who agree to have a birthday party for 12 kids and has no idea what to do, this is the place for you
Michaels Arts and Crafts is not an ideal workplace
Michaels Asscociate (Former Employee), Sarnia OntarioSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: clean work environment
Cons: management
At Michaels Arts and Crafts you deal with angry and grumpy customers on a daily basis. Michaels has very strict rules and policies that complicate everyday work. You will learn that if you are not friends with management you will be not favoured and constantly be told you have done something wrong. However, aside from management, co-workers are friendly and helpful. Having a job on the floor you are expected to keep work environment clean and tend to customers needs.
If you like arts and crafts, this is a nice place to work
General sales, Floor associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2014
Pros: lots of product to learn about, very flexible working hours
Cons: very low pay, can get boring quickly
Fairly good place to work. A nice discount on art supplies comes with working here.
Working the floor can get very dull, but flexible hours are great for people with busy lives.
A super fun place to work, but you never know if you're going anywhere.
Framer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 3, 2014
Pros: lunchrooms, laid back junior management, no pressure.
Cons: terrible holiday hours. too easy to get written up.
I loved working for Michaels. 90% of the employees are fantastic people who love what they do, and really enjoy helping people. The other 10% make you not want to come to work. The management always appear to be very busy, so it is difficult to address problems or concerns with them. Sometimes when you do a really good job, someone will actually notice, and let you know. The hardest part of my job was not saying anything rude to certain people who thought they could do my job better than me. I was written up 3 times for things I didn't do, so the higher management needs to take a better look at their lower management.
Retail focused business
MANAGER IN TRAINING (Former Employee), London, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: added more skills to portfolio
Cons: store only accomodated a certain customer base
-different tasks for every day of the week
-trained to do custom framing which I found extremely enjoyable
-train and educate team members on diverse skills and applications
-relaxed place to work
-everyone usually kept to themselves because of the abundant workload
framing manager
Framing manager (Former Employee), calgarySeptember 17, 2013
Pros: helping with the choices of the frames etc. and seeing all kinds of different art
Cons: long hrs on your feet
helping customers pick frames and matts for thier art
I learned a lot about framing how to frame. stretching canvace
Management wasn't in the framing shop much
co-worker for the most part were fun to work with
making sure the fames and matts were measured to the right size was both the hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job. Seeing
the finished product
Absolutely appalling
customer experience (Former Employee), prince george, bcApril 7, 2013
Pros: a few employees were ok
Cons: everything else.
Michaels was the absolute worst working experience of my life. The management was horrendous, treating its employees like slaves and actually breaking several labor laws. Employees are expected to do everything for minimum pay and are treated as criminals, forced to wait to leave work despite being off the clock while the managers searched their bags/purses. Hours were poor and the upper management would cut everyone else's hours to maintain their steady pay. Awful policies were in place and you would be punished for not talking to customers even if you had already spoke with them; it only mattered if you did it in front of the manager. There was no incentives and many would freeload off the work of the few like myself who actually tried. Any promotion prospects they tell you about are basically lies. However some of the employees were Ok.
Enjoyable Occupation
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Richmond, BCJanuary 21, 2013
Working at Michael's was an over all enjoyable learning experience. A typical day at work would include working the floor and ensuring each customer found the exact product they were looking for and got the assistance they needed. It also included working the cash register and recovery of merchandise (returning products to their rightful place.) The managers were over all pretty helpful although I did have to learn nearly everything on my own. My co-workers were extremely respectful and helpful towards me and were much appreciated. I would say the "hardest" part of the job would be standing out your feet for long periods of times or trying to find a product that is very scarce. The most enjoyable part would be the atmosphere and the people; coming to a place you enjoy being at and doing work that you are confident in.
Productive, fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), Saint JohnJuly 5, 2012
Pros: pride in my work
Cons: location
I loved working for Michaels. I loved the management team, the creative custoemrs and the fantastic team of associates.
Exciting and always learning something new.
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJune 16, 2012
A typical day at work would involve morning meetings to hear our previous days achiements and our daily goals. Michaels was always a continous learning store with multiple crafts and all the different techniques customers used for their crafts. The management, as well as, the staff were all great to work with all the time. This job in general was a rewarding and fun experience. The hardest part of the job would have to be when you couldn't give a discount to schools or organizations in need.

About Michaels Arts and Crafts

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates¬†about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more