Michaels Arts and Crafts

Michaels Arts and Crafts Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Michaels Arts and Crafts is not an ideal workplace
Michaels Asscociate (Former Employee), Sarnia OntarioSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: clean work environment
Cons: management
At Michaels Arts and Crafts you deal with angry and grumpy customers on a daily basis. Michaels has very strict rules and policies that complicate everyday work. You will learn that if you are not friends with management you will be not favoured and constantly be told you have done something wrong. However, aside from management, co-workers are friendly – more... and helpful. Having a job on the floor you are expected to keep work environment clean and tend to customers needs. – less
If you like arts and crafts, this is a nice place to work
General sales, Floor associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2014
Pros: lots of product to learn about, very flexible working hours
Cons: very low pay, can get boring quickly
Fairly good place to work. A nice discount on art supplies comes with working here.
Working the floor can get very dull, but flexible hours are great for people with busy lives.
A super fun place to work, but you never know if you're going anywhere.
Framer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 3, 2014
Pros: lunchrooms, laid back junior management, no pressure.
Cons: terrible holiday hours. too easy to get written up.
I loved working for Michaels. 90% of the employees are fantastic people who love what they do, and really enjoy helping people. The other 10% make you not want to come to work. The management always appear to be very busy, so it is difficult to address problems or concerns with them. Sometimes when you do a really good job, someone will actually notice, – more... and let you know. The hardest part of my job was not saying anything rude to certain people who thought they could do my job better than me. I was written up 3 times for things I didn't do, so the higher management needs to take a better look at their lower management. – less
Retail focused business
MANAGER IN TRAINING (Former Employee), London, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: added more skills to portfolio
Cons: store only accomodated a certain customer base
-different tasks for every day of the week
-trained to do custom framing which I found extremely enjoyable
-train and educate team members on diverse skills and applications
-relaxed place to work
-everyone usually kept to themselves because of the abundant workload
framing manager
Framing manager (Former Employee), calgarySeptember 17, 2013
Pros: helping with the choices of the frames etc. and seeing all kinds of different art
Cons: long hrs on your feet
helping customers pick frames and matts for thier art
I learned a lot about framing how to frame. stretching canvace
Management wasn't in the framing shop much
co-worker for the most part were fun to work with
making sure the fames and matts were measured to the right size was both the hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job. Seeing
the finished – more... product – less
Absolutely appalling
customer experience (Former Employee), prince george, bcApril 7, 2013
Pros: a few employees were ok
Cons: everything else.
Michaels was the absolute worst working experience of my life. The management was horrendous, treating its employees like slaves and actually breaking several labor laws. Employees are expected to do everything for minimum pay and are treated as criminals, forced to wait to leave work despite being off the clock while the managers searched their bags/purses. – more... Hours were poor and the upper management would cut everyone else's hours to maintain their steady pay. Awful policies were in place and you would be punished for not talking to customers even if you had already spoke with them; it only mattered if you did it in front of the manager. There was no incentives and many would freeload off the work of the few like myself who actually tried. Any promotion prospects they tell you about are basically lies. However some of the employees were Ok. – less
Enjoyable Occupation
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Richmond, BCJanuary 21, 2013
Working at Michael's was an over all enjoyable learning experience. A typical day at work would include working the floor and ensuring each customer found the exact product they were looking for and got the assistance they needed. It also included working the cash register and recovery of merchandise (returning products to their rightful place.) The – more... managers were over all pretty helpful although I did have to learn nearly everything on my own. My co-workers were extremely respectful and helpful towards me and were much appreciated. I would say the "hardest" part of the job would be standing out your feet for long periods of times or trying to find a product that is very scarce. The most enjoyable part would be the atmosphere and the people; coming to a place you enjoy being at and doing work that you are confident in. – less
Productive, fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), Saint JohnJuly 5, 2012
Pros: pride in my work
Cons: location
I loved working for Michaels. I loved the management team, the creative custoemrs and the fantastic team of associates.
Exciting and always learning something new.
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJune 16, 2012
A typical day at work would involve morning meetings to hear our previous days achiements and our daily goals. Michaels was always a continous learning store with multiple crafts and all the different techniques customers used for their crafts. The management, as well as, the staff were all great to work with all the time. This job in general was a – more... rewarding and fun experience. The hardest part of the job would have to be when you couldn't give a discount to schools or organizations in need. – less
Co workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Centennial, COSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: art
Cons: low pay, few hours, have to travel to location
Everyone (co workers and management ) is great and nice to work with. Always willing to help each other out and instruct how to do transactions/ finding items correctly. When I inquire about something, the manager always guides an answer. I learn every day.

I am a Sales Associate. I equally stock the store and do register. I enjoy finding out all the – more... items Michaels has to offer. – less
Nice environment
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Saint Charles, MOSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: close to home.
Cons: wages.
Very interesting people came through that store everyday. I learned a lot from so many artistic and colorful customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was engaging with the customers that were purchasing supplies to create their masterpieces.
Good "job", not a good career
Custom Framer (Current Employee), NCSeptember 17, 2014
The upper management changes every couple of years in this company, and each time they come up with new ideas that fizzle out each time. If they would just stick to what they do well, this company would be great to work for. As it is, they expect multi-tasking to the point of their employees not being able to do one job, well.
They set "goals" for custom – more... framers that are fabricated and nearly impossible to reach. For example, I am currently at 40% ABOVE my sales of last year, but several percent below their "forecast" for this year. In any other company that much ahead of last year would be considered a pretty good increase, but not so much as a 'good job' from management here.
I make the company literally hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in sales, but I don't even make $12 an hour, even after 4 years. Their raises are around .10 a year. Not enough to live on. – less
One Fun Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2014
Pros: great store hours
Cons: slow days at this job can literally drag on forever.
Here you have an opportunity to learn about every aspect of the company, and learn about different types of arts and crafts. The hardest part of the job was keeping the go-backs to a minimum. The most fun was setting up demos and displays.
The co-workers were very eclectic, personality-wise, and you learn a lot about crafts from the customers.
The Leaders In Retail Service
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2014
All I can say about my time at Target is that it was definitely the eye opening experience I needed to get a clear picture of where I wanted to advance as a young customer service professional. I am grateful for my time with this company and recommend anyone who would want to discover their abilities and full potential to give this place a shot. You – more... are sure to learn about yourself personally and professionally. – less
productive and a fun place to work
3 TIME DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee), Rome, GAAugust 4, 2014
Pros: ability to move up the ladder easily
Michael's is most definitley the best job i've had. This place can be a little overwhelming as it is a very fast pace envioronment but this company is all about team work and customer service.
You'll work hard
Store Manager (Current Employee), United StatesAugust 3, 2014
Pros: good work-life balance
Cons: not a lot of job security
Michaels has very high standards and you will work hard in able to meet them.
Fast-pace, with lots of laughs and hard work
Senior Framer (Former Employee), Manhasset, NYAugust 3, 2014
Pros: can request placement change
Cons: short breaks, long hours with no overtime avalible
My typical day would have started at 5 am. Starting with paper work and looking over yesterday’s numbers to figure out what kind of numbers are needed today and for the rest of the week. Numbers that I looked at were sales, production both as a group and individual people. For about 4 hours after all the paperwork was done was devoted to pure production – more... of orders. I would get the art work and the frame and whatever the order details (i.e. mats, fillets, glass). When the store opened my time was divided between production, answering questions, training my co-workers in various roles and providing various customer services.

In my years in Michales, I have learned how to use the register, how to pack out merchandise both in the frame shop, and in the store stock. I have learned how to set planogrames, and how to open and close a register.

I feel that the management was a little shaky when it can to the flow of powered. I would often have one manager tell me one thing on how to work a problem, and then another would come along to tell me I’m wrong and show me a different way to work the problem. When I go to the store manager for clarification, I wouldn't get anything concrete only being told to do what I’m told.

My co-workers were, for the most part, wonderful especially in the frame shop. Those who were in the shop were always responsive to what direction I offered to them, whether it was sales or tips in how to do better or in production.

I feel the hardest part of the job was keeping up with change in the management that happened in the store. Since I was hired I had 3 different store managers, 4 assistant managers, and at least 7 department managers. Each one has different ideas and often they conflicted with what has been accepted and right.

The most enjoyable times at work is when a customer is in love with the art work they are picking up, especially when they place the order and they were not that sure at the choices that were made. When we take orders we only work with samples and its hard for customers to get a real sense of how the finished product will look. It’s the best part when the customer says that the end was better than they thought it would be. – less
Fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service/sales associate (Former Employee), Statesville, NCJuly 31, 2014
Cons: low pay
I loved working here for almost two years. It was great to help people find what they needed for projects, in the end it felt like you were a part of their project too.
great team
Office Specialist (Former Employee), Taunton, MAJuly 16, 2014
busy and great people room for advancement the company treat employees good
Great workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hoover, ALJuly 15, 2014
Overall, a great place! Provided customer service and unloaded truck. Management was willing to work with you. Coworkers were very friendly.

1 2 3 4 5

About Michaels Arts and Crafts

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more