METROLINX Employee Reviews

Claims Officer
Claims Officer - Contract (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2017
Great workplace! Wonderful staff who really care about their employees. Excellent salary & work hours. Office culture is very friendly. The only reason why I left was to go back to school full time.
The people are great to work with
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2017
Nice place to work if you are an employee. If you are on contract, its a little difficult to view any job postings. Only employees can view them. Contract workers are not allowed. So my question is, if we are not allowed to apply for the internal job postings, then how are we ever going to have a chance at getting hired?
Pros
nice people to work with.
Cons
No free coffee.
Great place to build networks and start career
DATA ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2017
Big projects that have ministry funding that will impact the city in years to come. Getting to work with teams of people from different academic backgrounds has been a great pleasure. Currently working with data has allowed me to gain knowledge with different software and programs I never would have used otherwise, making my resume all the more attractive for potential future employers.
Fun, Professional and managed excellently
Compliance Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2017
Excellent workplace, truly professional, strong support network with people committed to get the job done right. Would recommend Metrolinx to everyone.
Fun and creative
VIDEOGRAPHER/PHOTOGRAPHER/EDITOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2017
Had the pleasure of working an a positive and creative group. The project created a safe place for the community and lift the stereotype of the area. The community leader was punctual, well organized and paid fairly for my work.
Fun
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
- Very organized
- felt special and wanted
- Very fun environment
- very Professional
- very considerate
- very understanding
Enjoying riding the train for free
Pros
Birthday celebrations, sometimes free lunches
Cons
not much to do that was engaging
Management is not supportive
Purchasing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2017
Management is not supportive, very monotonous work, not creative and innovative, staff is ok, work load is manageable, Free go train pass for employees
I&IT - avoid if you can.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  277 Front Street6 February 2017
Some managers are way too overly obsessed with themselves. One even said in a Town Hall meeting that "their knowledge of the human body made them a natural fit for planning and architecture" in front of the CIO, basically declaring he wanted this Director job. Of course he didn't get it.

Also, some solution managers continually skip meetings (even management ones), and skip town hall meetings when the staff are told they have to attend. And when they work from home they are impossible to reach.

Lots of business discussions done in Hindi and Urdu. And when you ask them to repeat/explain in English they don't. And a lot of talk about Gandhi.

And if you are of Chinese descent, be very careful. At least in my section of I&IT almost every little mistake someone would pay a penalty.
Pros
Work life balance, good pay, good benefits, some nice people there.
Cons
Double standard for staff and management.
great place to work
Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON3 February 2017
- Utilizing experience in customer service to provide timely and accurate service
- While providing updated train and bus information and interpreting timetables and schedule change information for customer.
- Cash and credit handling transferring information between SPOS and menaris.
- Perform other related duties as required such as opening and closing stations, assisting special need customers.
Fun workplace and easy going environment
System Tester (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
Metrolinx was a fun workplace with easy going environment. Team groups were supportive and management was friendly. Well trained employees with knowledge sharing attitude.
Great company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 November 2016
The people at Metrolinx ensure an enjoyable work environment while still maintaining a very productive work space. I enjoyed working with all of my coworkers and managers.
In my words
Senior Project (Program) Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2016
Nice place of work and will recommend. Staff are friendly and it is in a good location that is easy to acccess.

Day starts by 9 and ends by 4:40pm ..which is pretty good
Great Organization
QA Business Rules and configurations Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Ontario4 October 2016
Great Learning experience working in PRSETO. Managed and performance tested some of the largest complex applications and infrastructures world wide. Successfully managed projects in onshore and offshore model for quality deliverables and within SLA.
Metrolinx I&IT improving, but could use a lot of work still.
IT Contractor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
There really isn't much work to do in IT, so if you want work life balance, don't care about advancement or doing something good for the province, and don't know much about technology, then Metrolinx I&IT business unit is right for you.

Didn't really learn much there, as IT was so behind the times.

Management plays favourites. And it's obvious who the favourites are. But just a friendly warning...never complain about the RTSI (Real Time Scheduling Info) system or its creator, one of the most favourited by several managers. So when you notice RTSI crashing every month for months on end, blame it on something else.

Some co-workers are very sincere and I befriended those. The favourites are back stabbers...and pretty well the entire IT management team is out to screw the employees. Especially the managers hired by the old Director who used to run things.

The hardest part of the job is having to see all the BS going on and pretending it isn't happening. Don't bother reporting it as it seems everybody in the Metrolinx business side seems to know but doesn't care. There was a very honest QA lead who called some of this out and the IT management team burned him for it.

Also, there were 3 ethnic Chinese who were let go for very small mistakes. I've seen bigger mistakes made more frequently by others and they got promoted.

There was a restructuring initiated back in 2013, but instead of changing things, the old guard outwitted the new management and managed to get their allies into the management team, so now it will be impossible to improve things.

The best
  more... part of the job is being able to work regular hours.  less
Pros
Don't need to be qualified at your job to stay there, or get promoted.
Cons
Some managers have biased opinions of ethnic Chinese
WAS a great place
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto25 August 2016
Used to be a great place to work at. Recent re-org and influx of new sr. management has led to a high degree of nepotism. I&IT is very disorganized even with the recent (and costly) re-org. Maybe its just the learning curve. A high level of uncertainty and low morale in I&IT. Lots of hierarchy. This organization, at least in I&IT, is very top-heavy.
Pros
Some REALLY good people work there. Fair pay. Very clean and modern facilities.
Cons
Nepotism has found its way into the organization. Weak leadership. Low morale.
Great Work Environment
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2016
Very professional work environment. Worked along side experienced members of the civil engineering field where I was able to learn a lot.
productive work place where i can work make money and please my employer
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2016
i have work a lot of different jobs, I have only been self employed mostly, it is very exhausting and I would like a steady pay job to pay expenses.
Working for Metrolinx's Rail Fleet Maintenance
Administrative Assistant, Rail Fleet Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON22 June 2016
I work for the group that oversees the day-to-day maintenance of the rail fleet at GO Transit.
I provide assistance to a team that is headed by the Chief, Rail Fleet Maintenance and two Managers and support a staff of 35 people.
In my day-to-day routine, I manage the calendars, prepare meeting material, take minutes, coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to book and facilitate meetings on site. I also work with internal departments to hold specialized training and other special events on our site.
I also provide assistance in preparing VISA logs, travel expense reports using Excel, creating PowerPoint presentations.
This team is hard-working and proud of the service they provide and I am so glad to be a part of something that is making such a meaningful difference in the future of our province.
Productive and fun Workplace
Project Manager/ Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 March 2016
Productive and fun Workplace
Amazing people to work with
Management is easy to work with
Amazing work functions
Constant high pace environment
proffesional workplace
Cleaning & Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 March 2016
very proffesional, long paid lunch breaks, very organized, cleaned busses, very laid back work environment and not stressful at all. great student summer job