Metroland Media Employee Reviews

Not great wage. Not the easiest of jobs either.
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 August 2017
Wage was low for the ammount of work required at the position. Sometimes the work was unorganized. Wage benefits were not very substantial. But good for young people looking to work.
Pros
Can be young and work
Cons
Bad wage
Garbage
Hopper Feeder (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON19 August 2017
Slave job , Supervisors are really dumb a trio of monkey's can run the place better. Person who runs the plant is never there hes on vacation every week hes also a person who thinks hes high class. Main Alphaliner on nights threatens people and gets away with it because the company is too scared too get rid of her.
Pros
Absolutely Nothing
Not an ideal starting job!!!!!1
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON31 July 2017
A typical day at work would be on Thursday bringing in the bundles of flyers and newspapers that arrive at your front door, assembling the bundles, putting finished newspapers in plastic bands to be delivered, loading newspapers in car, and tossing newspapers by the clients door, and repeating next week.
A good starter experience
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON19 July 2017
My time as a delivery person wasn't exactly enjoyable. carrying heavy paper for about 3 hours only to get paid 10 bucks isn't exactly motivating. However, it gave me a small peak as to how working actually worked. It wasn't fun, however it was a good starting experience considering my age.
Pros
Had two days to complete delivery, didn't take too long
Cons
Dangerous Neighborhoods. Tough weather during the winter
Good experience
Newspaper Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 July 2017
fun to do, you also meet a lot of new people. and friendly face. Not a bad experience for a first time job. Also a great workout for your legs depending on how far you deliver
Decent place to work, very little pay for the amount of work you put in
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 July 2017
Overall, being a newspaper carrier was fun, however, the pay for the amount of work you put into the job was terrible. Every Thursday and Friday, I would have to wrap over 100 newspapers and deliver them to my assigned street, which for me would probably take around a couple of hours and for that day, I would probably earn less than $20 dollars. Doing this job ultimately helped my improve my time management skills as I had to do that and school work, as well as helped me learn how to work fast and efficiently.
Pros
Helped me create better time management skills and helped me learn how to work fast and efficiently.
Cons
Very little pay
very simple to pack
Newspaper Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 July 2017
Newspaper comes with package. I have to pack the newspaper before Thursday and deliver the newspaper. Inserting the newspaper is very simple task. i Deliver Thursday and Friday.
Fun workplace
Newspaper Delivery (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 June 2017
I would spend at least 2 and a half hours putting together newspapers especially on a Thursday. It would sometimes be fun because i got to go outside and walk around. But the pay wasnt as good as i expected.
Pros
Go outside and good exercise
Cons
Long hours of putting together the newspapers
Got paid once since started working
Carrier (Current Employee) –  Stouffville, ON23 June 2017
I've been working for more than two months now and I just got paid once with a little amount even though I got more than a hundred houses on my route. I am wondering if I got paid in a right way or not because I don't know the regular rate per house.
Pros
Its a good experience
Cons
Poor management
Was a nice starter job but the work to pay ratio was not fair.
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 June 2017
Typically as a newspaper carrier, I work about 4 hours per week in any weather. I did learn some basic accounting skills and communication skills, along with learning how to deal with a variety of different people. However the work was not equal to the pay and it was not enjoyable to be walking for nearly 2 hours per day in any weather.
fun and friendly work environment
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON17 June 2017
had a fun time working for there because it allowed me to gain many skills like organization time management and being more social. overall enjoyed my time working there.
Sends Work Overseas!!!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 May 2017
Great place to work 10 years ago but with social media taking over print everything is being sent to india, its a local paper! But great people to work with and great graphic manager.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Sends work overseas
It is a paper route allowing me to increase my income and get exercise.
carrier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2017
I organize flyers and papers then deliver them to specific houses in my neighborhood. I spend most of my time organizing the papers which, to me, is the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Exercise
Cons
rainy days
Easy Place
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2017
It is a good place to work. The management was kind of busy and did not keep in touch but it id an easy place to work and a good environment. It was a chill job.
Newspaper Carrier
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  1 Royal Gate Blvd9 May 2017
You get to work at your own pace. Fun and enjoyable environment with friendly district representatives. Great way to meet new people and neighbors and get exercise.
Working with the paper route
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridges, ON2 May 2017
I enjoyed working with Metroland Media for those 2 years and found that they gave me all the tools and time to deliver the newspapers. Sometimes the newspapers would be delivered late to my house and that made packaging them a little harder than it needed to be. Overall it was a good experience and helped me learn a little about what it takes to have a job and do it well.
Pros
Short time to package and deliver
Cons
Salary changed depending on how many flyers
Productive and Straightforward
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON2 May 2017
Needed for work experience, district representatives are friendly and productive. The job is good for students looking for job experience and a bit of extra money.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Tedious and repetitive
Simple Job
News Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2017
Good job for high school students who are just starting out! Work is very minimal however it does require some time. The management is very organized.
Hectic workplace with tight deadlines but enjoyable environment
clerical worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 April 2017
Productive and fun workplace. I truly enjoy my duties at this company but it's only part-time. I need a full time position with more compensation.
I spend 75% of the day on the phones which I really enjoy. I also do data entry, prepare carriers' notices, send out shortages of product to carriers, call carriers to advise of stops and starts of the paper, send out missed papers to customers with drivers, and other duties.
Pros
occasional free lunches and coupons for fast food places
Cons
compensation not good
Good job for really young kids who want to make a buck
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON30 March 2017
I would recommend this job for kids who are 14 and under. This is because you can't legally work in Canada until your 15 years old. The pay is complete garbage but this job isn't really supposed to teach you that. It's supposed to teach you how to manage time and responsibility, the money is a bonus. Overall when I had a problem it would get answered the next day, so management is an 8.5/10. A bad part was that you have to carry a lot of newspapers. Overall this job is for under 14, who want to make a tiny bit of cash and learn some life long skills along the way.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Schelp newspaper, super low pay