Metroland Media Employee Reviews

Trying to stop the bleeding
News Editor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
Run. This is a dying industry. Metroland Media Toronto has gutted its newsroom of any qualified editors. Newsroom management lacks any formal training. Metroland has handsomely paid its senior managing editors and sub-editors to leave. The workplace culture has turned into a news sweatshop. It has taken talented skilled employees and replaced them with cheaper minions. The duties are not difficult, however, the amount of work far exceeds the hours in a shift. Therefore, if you are willing to work endless unpaid hours this is the job for you.
Pros
Decent salary, good benefits (not sure if similar packages are offered now)
Cons
Unpaid OT - if any OT, untrained management, very little room for improvement
A good place to work
Gordon Baker Rd (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
The work environment was great. During the summer it was cool and during the winter it was warm. The management would take care of its workers and they would respect the coworker. It's a great place to work with little education and I learned a lot working there.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours sometimes
Ability to advance and deep routs within the community
Regional Director Distribution Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Metroland are a flyer distribution company with over 100 community newspapers in southern Ontario that carry the inserts, but they have grown into a media company.

They now have many digital properties and magazines to go along with the newspapers and distribution. A sales person has something to offer any business looking to promote their business to any market within southern Ontario.

The staff are what make Metroland great! They work as individuals but yet will help each other achieve their goals.

The management team needs to be out in the market supporting the sales team more and seeing what their up against.

You have the opportunity to help every business achieve their goals buy marketing to what is important to them be it target marketing through print, flyers, magazines or digital.
Pros
sales incentives, team launches, breakfast and your voice is heard.
Cons
Managers don't spend eough time helping the staff
Great company
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 January 2017
I was an employee of Metroland for many years and enjoyed it. Eventually it was time for me to leave. Great experience. Salary was reasonable. Benefits were great. Management was fair. Challenging work. Poor morale.
Well, technically, it's a job...
Manager (Former Employee) –  South Western Ontario6 June 2016
That's it really: it's just a job. Don't ever expect to stay for longer than a year or so - they constantly trim the fat. Once you hit a certain pay tier, you become an instant target for 'downsizing' regardless of how much work you put in per week, what you've achieved, or what you've done for the company as a whole.
The inner politics are overwhelming. Management are usually over-skilled and horribly overworked. General managers have little interest in employee welfare, despite the constant corporate proclamations to the contrary.
Employee innovation is almost never rewarded and management are constantly claiming responsibility for your hard work with their superiors - mostly out of fear. Regional managers are forever distributing the responsibilities of the latest lay-offs onto the remaining employees claiming that these are now their updated responsibilities under the current regime.
Computer systems and tools are usually woefully outdated, connected services are constantly failing and they laid off most of their technical support representatives, so the situation never improves making the job difficult to accomplish on a daily basis - hence the longer hours.
Pros
It can be a job, The office was nice, Company benefits.
Cons
Long unpaid hours, Endless pointless paperwork, Poor management interaction, Constant fear of lay-offs
Amazing Co-Workers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Metroland is a faced paced, stressful environment that is sales driven. Working there has taught me how to uses my negotiation and problem solving skills to there max. Management has mostly been encouraging and supportive. My co-workers became my family away from home. Unfortunately with the decline in print media major downsizing was required.
Pros
Great Co-workers!
Cons
Decline in Print media
Metroland is a good company.
Various Supervisory Positions (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
Metroland is a good company, where I worked part-time for 8 years. The management is strong and offerings are quite innovative. I greatly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Geographic reach across Ontario
Cons
N/A
Newspaper delivery
Newpaper delivery (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 December 2016
Picked up papers at warehouse and deliver then to residential homes. Have to deal with the weather. Pay per paper not hourly. Have to deal with traffic where no sidewalks
Pros
At own pase
Cons
Long hours low pay
Great work/life balance
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North York, ON24 January 2017
Work as a verifier/customer service. The staff feels like family. Everyone works to help the team. I learned a great deal about patience and kindness towards the customers. Since the centralization, there has been an enormous volume of calls and It on a busy day it can be overwhelming to take on the task. However the environment balances it out as everyone in the team is there to help out one another.
Good work, bad pay and management
Third Operator (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON5 June 2016
Fun work environment, good learning opportunities, however low salary and low appreciation of work/little promotion opportunities
Great managers and good feeling to be active
Newspaper Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2016
I think this job is good for child and adult as well, 12 hours per month working hours. Manager is kind and helpful so it would be easy to update my need in this job. However, this job is mainly designed for children's job, it would not be good for maintaining independent adult's monthly living.
Pros
flexible managers
Cons
not good to adult's monthly living
Good experience for young workers
Newspaper girl (Former Employee) –  North York, ON27 January 2017
Good experience for a young person to get experience within the job world. Not the best job considering the amount of heavy lifting and delivery during extreme weather.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Bad working conditions. (i.e weather)
Great learning and personal development experience
Reporter (Current Employee) –  Bradford West Gwillimbury, ON26 October 2016
The role of a reporter has changed drastically since I was hired in 2012. Social media and online posting has become the main focus, requiring editors, reporters and photographers to have a strong knowledge of online sources and "getting the word out there" as soon as possible.
Easy and Fast
Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
Just putting all the flyers together and delivering them every Thursdays before the time given. The hardest part would be bringing in the flyers from outside because it can be really heavy. Delivering them on the sunny day could turn out fun and fast.
Pros
Contests
Cons
More flyers, More money
Great Place to work
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 October 2016
Great place to work, great attitude, just dying industry. People are really nice, corporate environment has strict but manageable deadlines. I would remain at Metorland if it wasn't for the little growth opportunity.
Pros
Great enviroment
Cons
Dying Industry
Positive Working Atmosphere
Digital Consultant and Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2016
Working for Metroland has been a great experience thus far! It has allowed me to learn about the industry and to gain more skills and experiences that I will use throughout my career.
Pros
Great working atmoshphere
Cons
On the road to much
Tiring, not worth the money.
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 March 2016
I got my newspapers every thursday and friday and it took me 3-4 hours working on just rolling up the newspapers. Then delivering the newspapers took me an additional hour. I didn't get enough time to do my school homework. Also didn't recieve the right rubber bands to roll up the newspapers so it would snap and sting my hands. Also earned way below the minimum wage, around 60 bucks a month for doing 96 houses twice a week.
Cons
The money isn't a lot compared to the long hours you do rolling up the papers and delivering them.
Depends on how many routes you take
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON10 September 2016
There are a lot of awards for carriers so it is nice but the pay is not that great. The work is the same every single week so nothing interesting really happens. It is a great way however to get to know your neighbours.
bundles heavy
skidder (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 October 2016
heavy bundles but easy work, christmas is busy. new year quiet times . good people fun job most of the time co works are fun
most enjoyable part is break
Pros
easy
Cons
hours
District Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
Metroland media is a good company with a flexible hours. Co-workers are very friendly. I had to leave the company because i had to back to school full time.

2.8