Metroland Media Employee Reviews in Canada

Tiring, not worth the money.
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 5, 2016
I got my newspapers every thursday and friday and it took me 3-4 hours working on just rolling up the newspapers. Then delivering the newspapers took me an additional hour. I didn't get enough time to do my school homework. Also didn't recieve the right rubber bands to roll up the newspapers so it would snap and sting my hands. Also earned way below the minimum wage, around 60 bucks a month for doing 96 houses twice a week.
Cons
The money isn't a lot compared to the long hours you do rolling up the papers and delivering them.
Fun working with children
District Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Long hours due to being in the newspaper industry. Management wasn't available most of the time. Worked well alone or with a team. Flexible co-workers
Pros
Time off
Cons
Working in bad weather no mater what
Not worth your time, keep looking
Multi-Media Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 25, 2016
Print industry is going down and out. It's dog eat dog industry that is crashing. Customers know it too.
Hard job due to no training, management and no one buying. You will be promised training, a high income and a team environment (everyone is out for themselves and you cant trust anyone). Managment plays favorites and has no integrity. You may make average income. Easier sales jobs out there with no stress and more money with less hours.
Benefits
Cons
Management is terrible, customers complain, no training, no team environment
A good place to work
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 27, 2016
For the 7 years I worked at Metroland, I would say that this was a satisfying place to work at. There are no co-workers in this position. The most enjoyable part of the job is the happy customers you meet.
Pros
Happy customers
Cons
Low salary
physically demanding job
Pocket Feeder (Current Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ONMay 31, 2016
it is a very on hands job, on my feet all the time and I know now how flyers get into newspapers. I wish it was a full time job. I put flyers into a hopper and that feeds it into a paper. there is an assembly line of people a different hoppers have different flyers. I get along well with my coworkers. the hard part is working nights. its only 3 to 4 days of work and its shift work. I like that its a physical job.
Well, technically, it's a job...
Manager (Former Employee) –  South Western OntarioJune 6, 2016
That's it really: it's just a job. Don't ever expect to stay for longer than a year or so - they constantly trim the fat. Once you hit a certain pay tier, you become an instant target for 'downsizing' regardless of how much work you put in per week, what you've achieved, or what you've done for the company as a whole.
The inner politics are overwhelming. Management are usually over-skilled and horribly overworked. General managers have little interest in employee welfare, despite the constant corporate proclamations to the contrary.
Employee innovation is almost never rewarded and management are constantly claiming responsibility for your hard work with their superiors - mostly out of fear. Regional managers are forever distributing the responsibilities of the latest lay-offs onto the remaining employees claiming that these are now their updated responsibilities under the current regime.
Computer systems and tools are usually woefully outdated, connected services are constantly failing and they laid off most of their technical support representatives, so the situation never improves making the job difficult to accomplish on a daily basis - hence the longer hours.
Pros
It can be a job, The office was nice, Company benefits.
Cons
Long unpaid hours, Endless pointless paperwork, Poor management interaction, Constant fear of lay-offs
Positive Working Atmosphere
Digital Consultant and Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 13, 2016
Working for Metroland has been a great experience thus far! It has allowed me to learn about the industry and to gain more skills and experiences that I will use throughout my career.
Pros
Great working atmoshphere
Cons
On the road to much
productive
Sales Manager - Inside Sales/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 18, 2016
Political concerns based on who is leading the pack. Very slow to evolve.
Print is dying, concerned that they did not jump into the online world as fast as they could
Pros
close with team mates
Cons
long hours, sitting alot
Senior Graphic Designer/Creative Consultatnt (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 24, 2016
Great company to work for, lots of room for improvement. Not formal workplace, part of torstar - big corporation, procedures and policies, still pay benefits, easy commute.
Pros
nice team
Cons
should be more innovative
Good work, bad pay and management
Third Operator (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ONJune 5, 2016
Fun work environment, good learning opportunities, however low salary and low appreciation of work/little promotion opportunities
Good starting job for teenager.
Newspaper Courier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 28, 2016
It was a good job for when I began working but it isn't good enough to help you with your future. Typical workday was just delivering papers to houses.
Pros
No pros
Cons
No cons
media packaging
pocket feeder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2015
it was long hours but every once in a while we'd have company BBQs and even thanksgiving dinner. it was really repetitive and involved standing up for long periods of time but the people were friendly.
Pros
ocasional bbqs
Cons
12 hour night shifts
A lot of trust is placed in the hands of the carriers
Newspaper distribution in Orleans Ontario (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ONApril 12, 2016
This job allows you to plan your time around the distribution of Newspapers which have to be done by Thursdays every week.
Easy and Liad Back
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 5, 2016
Building papers and delivering them to my neighbors was a good way to meet everyone. It was also a good way to teach me what its like to work as a child.
Metroland review
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 11, 2015
The work is too inconsistent as far as getting reliable work goes. As a freelance writer I want steady work. The hardest part of the job is having to write about boring businesses with little to no information on their actual companies. They often have one page websites that reveal very little information, making it hard to write articles about them.

The most enjoyable part of being a freelance writer is the freedom of being able to work on my own time.
Pros
working on my own schedule
Cons
not enough work
loved working with editors.
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Excellent editors. loved pitching in story ideas.
Calling in with ideas for story and then, editors coming up with few more and then getting to work on almost every idea and contribute.
Pros
opportunities to showcase talent.
Cons
not applicable.
Good start to make money
Carrier (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ONApril 11, 2016
It's a good way to start making money until you get a first part time job. It also get you some experience. This company is also very friendly.
Demanding
Executive account manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 20, 2015
Terrible management. Bottom line is get that sale no matter what it takes. They don't care about their people just about keeping their own jobs.
This place is a hole!!!!
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ONAugust 25, 2015
Metroland in Smiths Falls is a terrible place to work. They pay very little and expect the world from you. After working 12-16 hour days, you still get crapped on!!! Management is very unorganized and constantly belittles employees calling them "yard apes" Robert Conium the distribution manager is A disrespectful liar. He will build you up and then tear you down!!! Don't work here!!!
Cons
Faster paced environment as its a time sensitive job.
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Easy going work environment.
Physically demanding.
Easy to learn positions.
Friendly staff.
Mix of solo and co-operative job tasks.
Warehouse environment.