Metroland Media Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
productive
Sales Manager - Inside Sales/Outside Sales (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONMay 18, 2016
Pros: close with team mates
Cons: long hours, sitting alot
Political concerns based on who is leading the pack. Very slow to evolve.
Print is dying, concerned that they did not jump into the online world as fast as they could
Easy and Liad Back
Carrier (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 5, 2016
Building papers and delivering them to my neighbors was a good way to meet everyone. It was also a good way to teach me what its like to work as a child.
Good starting job for teenager.
Newspaper Courier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 28, 2016
Pros: No pros
Cons: No cons
It was a good job for when I began working but it isn't good enough to help you with your future. Typical workday was just delivering papers to houses.
Senior Graphic Designer/Creative Consultatnt (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 24, 2016
Pros: nice team
Cons: should be more innovative
Great company to work for, lots of room for improvement. Not formal workplace, part of torstar - big corporation, procedures and policies, still pay benefits, easy commute.
A lot of trust is placed in the hands of the carriers
Newspaper distribution in Orleans Ontario (Current Employee), Orleans, ONApril 12, 2016
This job allows you to plan your time around the distribution of Newspapers which have to be done by Thursdays every week.
Good start to make money
Carrier (Current Employee), Orleans, ONApril 11, 2016
It's a good way to start making money until you get a first part time job. It also get you some experience. This company is also very friendly.
Tiring, not worth the money.
Mail Carrier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 5, 2016
Cons: The money isn't a lot compared to the long hours you do rolling up the papers and delivering them.
I got my newspapers every thursday and friday and it took me 3-4 hours working on just rolling up the newspapers. Then delivering the newspapers took me an additional hour. I didn't get enough time to do my school homework. Also didn't recieve the right rubber bands to roll up the newspapers so it would snap and sting my hands. Also earned way below the minimum wage, around 60 bucks a month for doing 96 houses twice a week.
loved working with editors.
Freelance Writer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: opportunities to showcase talent.
Cons: not applicable.
Excellent editors. loved pitching in story ideas.
Calling in with ideas for story and then, editors coming up with few more and then getting to work on almost every idea and contribute.
Faster paced environment as its a time sensitive job.
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Easy going work environment.
Physically demanding.
Easy to learn positions.
Friendly staff.
Mix of solo and co-operative job tasks.
Warehouse environment.
A good place to work
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Happy customers
Cons: Low salary
For the 7 years I worked at Metroland, I would say that this was a satisfying place to work at. There are no co-workers in this position. The most enjoyable part of the job is the happy customers you meet.
Good Growth
Multi Media Marketing and Sales (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 25, 2016
job was very straight forward ans fairly easy. people were great to work with. good environment etc.
It was ok pay. ok hours.
Fun working with children
District Representative (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Time off
Cons: Working in bad weather no mater what
Long hours due to being in the newspaper industry. Management wasn't available most of the time. Worked well alone or with a team. Flexible co-workers
Not enough work
Inserter (Current Employee), Smiths Falls, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Paychecks
Cons: Not enough work
Personnel is superb. Co-workers are helpful and friendly. Wish I could get more hours. Shifts get cancelled regularly.
Metroland review
Freelance Writer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 11, 2015
Pros: working on my own schedule
Cons: not enough work
The work is too inconsistent as far as getting reliable work goes. As a freelance writer I want steady work. The hardest part of the job is having to write about boring businesses with little to no information on their actual companies. They often have one page websites that reveal very little information, making it hard to write articles about them.

The most enjoyable part of being a freelance writer is the freedom of being able to work on my own time.
Demanding
Executive account manager (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 20, 2015
Terrible management. Bottom line is get that sale no matter what it takes. They don't care about their people just about keeping their own jobs.
h
Accounts Receivables and Administrative Clerk (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 10, 2015
Great people and place to work. Friendly atmosphere, open communications with the managers and flexible hours which is great with kids.
media packaging
pocket feeder (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2015
Pros: ocasional bbqs
Cons: 12 hour night shifts
it was long hours but every once in a while we'd have company BBQs and even thanksgiving dinner. it was really repetitive and involved standing up for long periods of time but the people were friendly.
Good times at Metroland
Lead Driver (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 2, 2015
Happy to work there. In the right opportunity I would consider returning to the company. I was able to grow and develop my skill set.
Fun workplace
Hopper Feeder (Former Employee), Smiths Falls, ONSeptember 27, 2015
When you went to work you would have to sign in and when you left you would have to sign out.
The operators and supervisor were always so nice.
Everyone who worked there with me were all so friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was probably when your hopper got jammed.
The most enjoyable part of teh job was everyone always had a good time.
productive work place
Manor Personal Deployment - General Labourer (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 15, 2015
must be able to start at 8:30 am till 5:00pm collating flyers and making bundles for the Hamilton spectator and atleast 2 or 3 days a week