Metroland Media Employee Reviews in Canada

Good starting job for teenager.
Newspaper Courier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 28, 2016
It was a good job for when I began working but it isn't good enough to help you with your future. Typical workday was just delivering papers to houses.
Pros
No pros
Cons
No cons
Senior Graphic Designer/Creative Consultatnt (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 24, 2016
Great company to work for, lots of room for improvement. Not formal workplace, part of torstar - big corporation, procedures and policies, still pay benefits, easy commute.
Pros
nice team
Cons
should be more innovative
A lot of trust is placed in the hands of the carriers
Newspaper distribution in Orleans Ontario (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ONApril 12, 2016
This job allows you to plan your time around the distribution of Newspapers which have to be done by Thursdays every week.
Good start to make money
Carrier (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ONApril 11, 2016
It's a good way to start making money until you get a first part time job. It also get you some experience. This company is also very friendly.
Tiring, not worth the money.
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 5, 2016
I got my newspapers every thursday and friday and it took me 3-4 hours working on just rolling up the newspapers. Then delivering the newspapers took me an additional hour. I didn't get enough time to do my school homework. Also didn't recieve the right rubber bands to roll up the newspapers so it would snap and sting my hands. Also earned way below the minimum wage, around 60 bucks a month for doing 96 houses twice a week.
Cons
The money isn't a lot compared to the long hours you do rolling up the papers and delivering them.
loved working with editors.
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Excellent editors. loved pitching in story ideas.
Calling in with ideas for story and then, editors coming up with few more and then getting to work on almost every idea and contribute.
Pros
opportunities to showcase talent.
Cons
not applicable.
Faster paced environment as its a time sensitive job.
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Easy going work environment.
Physically demanding.
Easy to learn positions.
Friendly staff.
Mix of solo and co-operative job tasks.
Warehouse environment.
A good place to work
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 27, 2016
For the 7 years I worked at Metroland, I would say that this was a satisfying place to work at. There are no co-workers in this position. The most enjoyable part of the job is the happy customers you meet.
Pros
Happy customers
Cons
Low salary
Good Growth
Multi Media Marketing and Sales (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 25, 2016
job was very straight forward ans fairly easy. people were great to work with. good environment etc.
It was ok pay. ok hours.
Fun working with children
District Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Long hours due to being in the newspaper industry. Management wasn't available most of the time. Worked well alone or with a team. Flexible co-workers
Pros
Time off
Cons
Working in bad weather no mater what
Not enough work
Inserter (Current Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Personnel is superb. Co-workers are helpful and friendly. Wish I could get more hours. Shifts get cancelled regularly.
Pros
Paychecks
Cons
Not enough work
Metroland review
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 11, 2015
The work is too inconsistent as far as getting reliable work goes. As a freelance writer I want steady work. The hardest part of the job is having to write about boring businesses with little to no information on their actual companies. They often have one page websites that reveal very little information, making it hard to write articles about them.

The most enjoyable part of being a freelance writer is the freedom of being able to work on my own time.
Pros
working on my own schedule
Cons
not enough work
Demanding
Executive account manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 20, 2015
Terrible management. Bottom line is get that sale no matter what it takes. They don't care about their people just about keeping their own jobs.
h
Accounts Receivables and Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 10, 2015
Great people and place to work. Friendly atmosphere, open communications with the managers and flexible hours which is great with kids.
media packaging
pocket feeder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2015
it was long hours but every once in a while we'd have company BBQs and even thanksgiving dinner. it was really repetitive and involved standing up for long periods of time but the people were friendly.
Pros
ocasional bbqs
Cons
12 hour night shifts
Good times at Metroland
Lead Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 2, 2015
Happy to work there. In the right opportunity I would consider returning to the company. I was able to grow and develop my skill set.
Fun workplace
Hopper Feeder (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ONSeptember 27, 2015
When you went to work you would have to sign in and when you left you would have to sign out.
The operators and supervisor were always so nice.
Everyone who worked there with me were all so friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was probably when your hopper got jammed.
The most enjoyable part of teh job was everyone always had a good time.
productive work place
Manor Personal Deployment - General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 15, 2015
must be able to start at 8:30 am till 5:00pm collating flyers and making bundles for the Hamilton spectator and atleast 2 or 3 days a week
This place is a hole!!!!
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ONAugust 25, 2015
Metroland in Smiths Falls is a terrible place to work. They pay very little and expect the world from you. After working 12-16 hour days, you still get crapped on!!! Management is very unorganized and constantly belittles employees calling them "yard apes" Robert Conium the distribution manager is A disrespectful liar. He will build you up and then tear you down!!! Don't work here!!!
Productive and a Fun part-time Job
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 16, 2015
The best part about this job is not the amount of money I am making from this job but the fact that I am actually enjoying the job as it provides me with both a chance to have fun organized the papers together and to obtain fast pace working skills (in order to ensure that the newspapers are delivered on time by 6pm every Thursday).
Also, my manager is very kind and if I ever have a question and decide to send it through email, I always get fast replies and great feedback/suggestions.
Pros
Only working once per week
Cons
Not much money obtained per month (It is a less than minimum wage job)