Metroland Media

Metroland Media Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
This place is a hole!!!!
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee), Smiths Falls, ONAugust 25, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything
Metroland in Smiths Falls is a terrible place to work. They pay very little and expect the world from you. After working 12-16 hour days, you still get crapped on!!! Management is very unorganized and constantly belittles employees calling them "yard apes" Robert Conium the distribution manager is A disrespectful liar. He will build you up and then tear you down!!! Don't work here!!!
Productive and a Fun part-time Job
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Only working once per week
Cons: Not much money obtained per month (It is a less than minimum wage job)
The best part about this job is not the amount of money I am making from this job but the fact that I am actually enjoying the job as it provides me with both a chance to have fun organized the papers together and to obtain fast pace working skills (in order to ensure that the newspapers are delivered on time by 6pm every Thursday).
Also, my manager is very kind and if I ever have a question and decide to send it through email, I always get fast replies and great feedback/suggestions.
Great
Photographer (Former Employee), Durham, ONJuly 26, 2015
Pros: exciting experiences, meet lots of people, great creative output
Cons: a lot of driving
New experiences fuelled by knowledgable experts who have served in the field and are more then willing to mentor new employees.
A newspaper carrier
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 24, 2015
Cons: Many papers
A day at work was easy during the two days, Wednesday and Friday, however Thursday was much longer than both of the other days combined, not very difficult though. I learned many communication skills talking to various customers while delivering papers, i learned how getting money feels like and how it is managed in the world of working. The hardest part of the job was just Thursday and working outside in the winter time, the most enjoyable part was that while doing this job i get a decent amount of exercise while doing it.
A Community Job
Flyer Distrubutor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Low Wage
Working for this company, you get to learn more about your community, help promote local businesses and/or major corporations with home delivery of flyers.
Metroland Media Review
Gordon Baker Road (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 22, 2015
Pros: Close proximity
Cons: Lack of career advancement; lack of hours
Working with Metroland Media, sorting and delivering the Scarborough Mirror newspaper, has allowed me to develop excellent communication skills in keeping up with customer interests and requests. A typical day involves about 1 hour devoted to sorting, and 1-2 hours devoted to delivery. It is a rewarding job, providing a valuable service to my route customers and allowing me to continually grow in my customer service skills. The job is quite enjoyable, but the hardest part would be the relative lack of advancement the field offers in moving forward.
Terrible place to work.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 9, 2015
This is a terrible place to work with no clear management or organizational structure. The pay is entry level yet they expect the work of a senior level employee. Not a good place to work.
I loved Metroland
Real Estate Advertising Consultant (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: liberty
Cons: commission sales
I believe that Metroland was an absolutely positive place to work. I thoroughly enjoyed how avant grade the print products were, despite the "decline" in print popularity. My managers treated me very well and thought highly of me. Never disrespectful.
A good job for students
Carrier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: short hours, easy to finish and pays decent for amount of work, you can take breaks
Cons: working on christmas, bad weather, unorganized instructions
On Wednesday we receive many flyers that we must put together and deliver on Thursday. They must be delivered by the end of Thursday. I have 4 streets I must deliver to. It is a good job for me because I am usually busy with school, however school is slowing down and I have to time for a more involved job. Management was okay. There was a lot of mistakes. We wouldn't receive all the flyers we were supposed to receive. We would receive too many flyers sometimes. The hardest part of the job would be working in the rain and the carts in that we used to deliver the flyers would break down. Also we worked on Christmas eve, Christmas, and boxing day. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people on my route. It was close to my home so I wouldn't have to travel.
Store Front
General Labour (Former Employee), Burlington, ONDecember 1, 2014
customer service
Cleanliness
fast paced work
i enjoyed my co-workers
n/a
Paper Carrier (Current Employee), Renfrew, ONNovember 10, 2014
In this job, I go to the paper distribution plant and pick up my papers. I split the three different paper runs up into two sections. I drive mail box to mail box in the rural area round Renfrew County. The part I like most about it is that I can work only one day a week and still have time for my family. The hardest part of the job is the ever changing weather as well as the maintenance on my vehicle in order to keep delivering these papers.
high speed, physically demanding job
Flyer inserter in newspaper (Former Employee), Smiths Falls, ONNovember 2, 2014
-typical day--inserting flyers into weekly newspaper
-learned more safety around machines
-management demanded good work for pay
-hardest part of job--keeping up with the physical labour speed of the job
All in all, a good place to work.
Delivery/Driver (Current Employee), London, ONOctober 25, 2014
Pros: short work days
Cons: sometimes long hours
I enjoy seeing my co-workers every Tuesday. I arrive in the morning and proceed to load up my van with the flyers. I learned that being organized definitely helps. Management keeps everything running smoothly. My co-workers are great, we share how much construction we have to go through on our deliveries. The hardest part of the job is lifting the heavy bundles of flyers, sometimes there are more than 100 in a bag. The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie with my co-workers.
nice people
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 22, 2014
Pros: flexible job
Cons: no room for advancement worth advancing for
The job was just a stepping stone as i continued my studies, workers were friendly but the lack of workers sometimes had you doing more then you should for the pay-rate.
Editorial Layout Artist for Collingwood Connection
Editorial Layout Artist (Current Employee), Collingwood, OntarioAugust 21, 2014
Pros: pleasant atmosphere, great wages, flexible office hours
Cons: no ability to move on within editorial
Process pictures, answer emails, catch up on website analytics and then begin organizing pages into folders. Knowledge of layout, modular concept, InDesign styles, fittings for each section of the newspapers. Responsible for designing for 2 newspapers within Simcoe County: Meaford Express & Collingwood Connection
Difficult
PAPER CARRIER (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 20, 2014
It was tough getting the newspapers together, and finding the time to deliver them because i would need the help of my parents to pack the papers into the car
Terrible
Paper Carrier (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 28, 2013
Pros: flexible days/hours
Cons: terrible pay, staff, and job security
Terrible Work Environment and Pay
Did not listen to your problems
Would charge $1 a month a house
best company i worked for
Metroland Media Auditor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 28, 2013
Pros: free lunch, potlogs, switching up the work routine
Cons: very few people working at my station, so the workload was a bit too much
working at metroland was the most rewarding job. my job was to basically call customers on behalf of company to ensure they received their newspaper,however there were days where the manager would switch it up i would print flayers, hire people to deliver the flyers, package the newspaper and get them read, and at times because im an accounting student i would sit and observe how the accounts did real life accounting rather book based at the university. i had great co-workers the only problem was that we were not many, so the workload varied, at times it would more or less. other than that there was nothig i found lacking at metroland media and if it were switching schools i wouldnt have left it.
Difficult but Manageable
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 19, 2012
Pros: get an income every month
Cons: quite repetitive and annoying
I deliver the papers three times a week which isn't too bad for me. It takes me about an hour to collate the papers on Wednesday and Friday (2 hours on Thursday) Delivering the papers is a half hour on Wednesday and Thursday. Thursday has the most amount of flyers to insert into the paper.
busy place
Factory Worker (Current Employee), Smiths Falls, ONNovember 18, 2012
Pros: friendly helpful co workers, good hours
Cons: small wage
nice place to work. people are nice and helpful. the work is repetitive but steady. the wage is too small, some workers work harder than others and are assigned more than one hopper on the machine at a time for the whole 7.5 hrs.