Metroland Media Employee Reviews

Trying to stop the bleeding
News Editor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
Run. This is a dying industry. Metroland Media Toronto has gutted its newsroom of any qualified editors. Newsroom management lacks any formal training. Metroland has handsomely paid its senior managing editors and sub-editors to leave. The workplace culture has turned into a news sweatshop. It has taken talented skilled employees and replaced them with cheaper minions. The duties are not difficult, however, the amount of work far exceeds the hours in a shift. Therefore, if you are willing to work endless unpaid hours this is the job for you.
Pros
Decent salary, good benefits (not sure if similar packages are offered now)
Cons
Unpaid OT - if any OT, untrained management, very little room for improvement
Great work/life balance
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North York, ON24 January 2017
Work as a verifier/customer service. The staff feels like family. Everyone works to help the team. I learned a great deal about patience and kindness towards the customers. Since the centralization, there has been an enormous volume of calls and It on a busy day it can be overwhelming to take on the task. However the environment balances it out as everyone in the team is there to help out one another.
not a very good job
Paper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON13 March 2017
working for the metro land news advertiser was not a pleasant job but was a good part time job for a kid. you do more work then you get payed for. you must go door to door and collect an optional fee from strangers. they take a percent of what you collect from houses based on how many house are on your prescribed route..
Pros
short hours
Cons
little pay, work in bad weather
Amazing Co-Workers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Metroland is a faced paced, stressful environment that is sales driven. Working there has taught me how to uses my negotiation and problem solving skills to there max. Management has mostly been encouraging and supportive. My co-workers became my family away from home. Unfortunately with the decline in print media major downsizing was required.
Pros
Great Co-workers!
Cons
Decline in Print media
Long hours and handling mostly difficult customers and parents but great colleagues.
District Rep (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 March 2017
Learnt handling the people from all walks of like and minors. Management allows individual reps to "grow" by letting us make our own decisions. Great work place atmosphere. get to meet great kids!
Pros
Felxible Hours
Cons
Great managers and good feeling to be active
Newspaper Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2016
I think this job is good for child and adult as well, 12 hours per month working hours. Manager is kind and helpful so it would be easy to update my need in this job. However, this job is mainly designed for children's job, it would not be good for maintaining independent adult's monthly living.
Pros
flexible managers
Cons
not good to adult's monthly living
A good place to work
Gordon Baker Rd (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
The work environment was great. During the summer it was cool and during the winter it was warm. The management would take care of its workers and they would respect the coworker. It's a great place to work with little education and I learned a lot working there.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours sometimes
Good experience for young workers
Newspaper girl (Former Employee) –  North York, ON27 January 2017
Good experience for a young person to get experience within the job world. Not the best job considering the amount of heavy lifting and delivery during extreme weather.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Bad working conditions. (i.e weather)
Metroland is a good company.
Various Supervisory Positions (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
Metroland is a good company, where I worked part-time for 8 years. The management is strong and offerings are quite innovative. I greatly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Geographic reach across Ontario
Cons
N/A
Great learning and personal development experience
Reporter (Current Employee) –  Bradford West Gwillimbury, ON26 October 2016
The role of a reporter has changed drastically since I was hired in 2012. Social media and online posting has become the main focus, requiring editors, reporters and photographers to have a strong knowledge of online sources and "getting the word out there" as soon as possible.
Easy and Fast
Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
Just putting all the flyers together and delivering them every Thursdays before the time given. The hardest part would be bringing in the flyers from outside because it can be really heavy. Delivering them on the sunny day could turn out fun and fast.
Pros
Contests
Cons
More flyers, More money
Ability to advance and deep routs within the community
Regional Director Distribution Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Metroland are a flyer distribution company with over 100 community newspapers in southern Ontario that carry the inserts, but they have grown into a media company.

They now have many digital properties and magazines to go along with the newspapers and distribution. A sales person has something to offer any business looking to promote their business to any market within southern Ontario.

The staff are what make Metroland great! They work as individuals but yet will help each other achieve their goals.

The management team needs to be out in the market supporting the sales team more and seeing what their up against.

You have the opportunity to help every business achieve their goals buy marketing to what is important to them be it target marketing through print, flyers, magazines or digital.
Pros
sales incentives, team launches, breakfast and your voice is heard.
Cons
Managers don't spend eough time helping the staff
Great company
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 January 2017
I was an employee of Metroland for many years and enjoyed it. Eventually it was time for me to leave. Great experience. Salary was reasonable. Benefits were great. Management was fair. Challenging work. Poor morale.
Great Place to work
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 October 2016
Great place to work, great attitude, just dying industry. People are really nice, corporate environment has strict but manageable deadlines. I would remain at Metorland if it wasn't for the little growth opportunity.
Pros
Great enviroment
Cons
Dying Industry
Newspaper delivery
Newpaper delivery (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 December 2016
Picked up papers at warehouse and deliver then to residential homes. Have to deal with the weather. Pay per paper not hourly. Have to deal with traffic where no sidewalks
Pros
At own pase
Cons
Long hours low pay
fun
Newspaper Courier Delivery (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
Great company to work with amazing timings 4 days a month no trouble at all independent job working own your own flexible hours reference upon request
Depends on how many routes you take
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON10 September 2016
There are a lot of awards for carriers so it is nice but the pay is not that great. The work is the same every single week so nothing interesting really happens. It is a great way however to get to know your neighbours.
physically demanding job
Pocket Feeder (Current Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON31 May 2016
it is a very on hands job, on my feet all the time and I know now how flyers get into newspapers. I wish it was a full time job. I put flyers into a hopper and that feeds it into a paper. there is an assembly line of people a different hoppers have different flyers. I get along well with my coworkers. the hard part is working nights. its only 3 to 4 days of work and its shift work. I like that its a physical job.
bundles heavy
skidder (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 October 2016
heavy bundles but easy work, christmas is busy. new year quiet times . good people fun job most of the time co works are fun
most enjoyable part is break
Pros
easy
Cons
hours
District Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
Metroland media is a good company with a flexible hours. Co-workers are very friendly. I had to leave the company because i had to back to school full time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metroland Media. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8