Metroland Media

Metroland Media Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A good place to work
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Happy customers
Cons: Low salary
For the 7 years I worked at Metroland, I would say that this was a satisfying place to work at. There are no co-workers in this position. The most enjoyable part of the job is the happy customers you meet.
Good Growth
Multi Media Marketing and Sales (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 25, 2016
job was very straight forward ans fairly easy. people were great to work with. good environment etc.
It was ok pay. ok hours.
Fun working with children
District Representative (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Time off
Cons: Working in bad weather no mater what
Long hours due to being in the newspaper industry. Management wasn't available most of the time. Worked well alone or with a team. Flexible co-workers
Not enough work
Inserter (Current Employee), Smiths Falls, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Paychecks
Cons: Not enough work
Personnel is superb. Co-workers are helpful and friendly. Wish I could get more hours. Shifts get cancelled regularly.
Metroland review
Freelance Writer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 11, 2015
Pros: working on my own schedule
Cons: not enough work
The work is too inconsistent as far as getting reliable work goes. As a freelance writer I want steady work. The hardest part of the job is having to write about boring businesses with little to no information on their actual companies. They often have one page websites that reveal very little information, making it hard to write articles about them.

The most enjoyable part of being a freelance writer is the freedom of being able to work on my own time.
Demanding
Executive account manager (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 20, 2015
Terrible management. Bottom line is get that sale no matter what it takes. They don't care about their people just about keeping their own jobs.
h
Accounts Receivables and Administrative Clerk (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 10, 2015
Great people and place to work. Friendly atmosphere, open communications with the managers and flexible hours which is great with kids.
media packaging
pocket feeder (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2015
Pros: ocasional bbqs
Cons: 12 hour night shifts
it was long hours but every once in a while we'd have company BBQs and even thanksgiving dinner. it was really repetitive and involved standing up for long periods of time but the people were friendly.
Good times at Metroland
Lead Driver (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 2, 2015
Happy to work there. In the right opportunity I would consider returning to the company. I was able to grow and develop my skill set.
Fun workplace
Hopper Feeder (Former Employee), Smiths Falls, ONSeptember 27, 2015
When you went to work you would have to sign in and when you left you would have to sign out.
The operators and supervisor were always so nice.
Everyone who worked there with me were all so friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was probably when your hopper got jammed.
The most enjoyable part of teh job was everyone always had a good time.
productive work place
Manor Personal Deployment - General Labourer (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 15, 2015
must be able to start at 8:30 am till 5:00pm collating flyers and making bundles for the Hamilton spectator and atleast 2 or 3 days a week
This place is a hole!!!!
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee), Smiths Falls, ONAugust 25, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything
Metroland in Smiths Falls is a terrible place to work. They pay very little and expect the world from you. After working 12-16 hour days, you still get crapped on!!! Management is very unorganized and constantly belittles employees calling them "yard apes" Robert Conium the distribution manager is A disrespectful liar. He will build you up and then tear you down!!! Don't work here!!!
Productive and a Fun part-time Job
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Only working once per week
Cons: Not much money obtained per month (It is a less than minimum wage job)
The best part about this job is not the amount of money I am making from this job but the fact that I am actually enjoying the job as it provides me with both a chance to have fun organized the papers together and to obtain fast pace working skills (in order to ensure that the newspapers are delivered on time by 6pm every Thursday).
Also, my manager is very kind and if I ever have a question and decide to send it through email, I always get fast replies and great feedback/suggestions.
Great
Photographer (Former Employee), Durham, ONJuly 26, 2015
Pros: exciting experiences, meet lots of people, great creative output
Cons: a lot of driving
New experiences fuelled by knowledgable experts who have served in the field and are more then willing to mentor new employees.
A newspaper carrier
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 24, 2015
Cons: Many papers
A day at work was easy during the two days, Wednesday and Friday, however Thursday was much longer than both of the other days combined, not very difficult though. I learned many communication skills talking to various customers while delivering papers, i learned how getting money feels like and how it is managed in the world of working. The hardest part of the job was just Thursday and working outside in the winter time, the most enjoyable part was that while doing this job i get a decent amount of exercise while doing it.
A Community Job
Flyer Distrubutor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Low Wage
Working for this company, you get to learn more about your community, help promote local businesses and/or major corporations with home delivery of flyers.
Metroland Media Review
Gordon Baker Road (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 22, 2015
Pros: Close proximity
Cons: Lack of career advancement; lack of hours
Working with Metroland Media, sorting and delivering the Scarborough Mirror newspaper, has allowed me to develop excellent communication skills in keeping up with customer interests and requests. A typical day involves about 1 hour devoted to sorting, and 1-2 hours devoted to delivery. It is a rewarding job, providing a valuable service to my route customers and allowing me to continually grow in my customer service skills. The job is quite enjoyable, but the hardest part would be the relative lack of advancement the field offers in moving forward.
Terrible place to work.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 9, 2015
This is a terrible place to work with no clear management or organizational structure. The pay is entry level yet they expect the work of a senior level employee. Not a good place to work.
I loved Metroland
Real Estate Advertising Consultant (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: liberty
Cons: commission sales
I believe that Metroland was an absolutely positive place to work. I thoroughly enjoyed how avant grade the print products were, despite the "decline" in print popularity. My managers treated me very well and thought highly of me. Never disrespectful.
A good job for students
Carrier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: short hours, easy to finish and pays decent for amount of work, you can take breaks
Cons: working on christmas, bad weather, unorganized instructions
On Wednesday we receive many flyers that we must put together and deliver on Thursday. They must be delivered by the end of Thursday. I have 4 streets I must deliver to. It is a good job for me because I am usually busy with school, however school is slowing down and I have to time for a more involved job. Management was okay. There was a lot of mistakes. We wouldn't receive all the flyers we were supposed to receive. We would receive too many flyers sometimes. The hardest part of the job would be working in the rain and the carts in that we used to deliver the flyers would break down. Also we worked on Christmas eve, Christmas, and boxing day. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people on my route. It was close to my home so I wouldn't have to travel.