Metroland Media Employee Reviews

It is a paper route allowing me to increase my income and get exercise.
carrier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2017
I organize flyers and papers then deliver them to specific houses in my neighborhood. I spend most of my time organizing the papers which, to me, is the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Exercise
Cons
rainy days
Easy Place
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2017
It is a good place to work. The management was kind of busy and did not keep in touch but it id an easy place to work and a good environment. It was a chill job.
Working with the paper route
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridges, ON2 May 2017
I enjoyed working with Metroland Media for those 2 years and found that they gave me all the tools and time to deliver the newspapers. Sometimes the newspapers would be delivered late to my house and that made packaging them a little harder than it needed to be. Overall it was a good experience and helped me learn a little about what it takes to have a job and do it well.
Pros
Short time to package and deliver
Cons
Salary changed depending on how many flyers
Productive and Straightforward
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON2 May 2017
Needed for work experience, district representatives are friendly and productive. The job is good for students looking for job experience and a bit of extra money.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Tedious and repetitive
Simple Job
News Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2017
Good job for high school students who are just starting out! Work is very minimal however it does require some time. The management is very organized.
Hectic workplace with tight deadlines but enjoyable environment
clerical worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 April 2017
Productive and fun workplace. I truly enjoy my duties at this company but it's only part-time. I need a full time position with more compensation.
I spend 75% of the day on the phones which I really enjoy. I also do data entry, prepare carriers' notices, send out shortages of product to carriers, call carriers to advise of stops and starts of the paper, send out missed papers to customers with drivers, and other duties.
Pros
occasional free lunches and coupons for fast food places
Cons
compensation not good
Good job for really young kids who want to make a buck
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON30 March 2017
I would recommend this job for kids who are 14 and under. This is because you can't legally work in Canada until your 15 years old. The pay is complete garbage but this job isn't really supposed to teach you that. It's supposed to teach you how to manage time and responsibility, the money is a bonus. Overall when I had a problem it would get answered the next day, so management is an 8.5/10. A bad part was that you have to carry a lot of newspapers. Overall this job is for under 14, who want to make a tiny bit of cash and learn some life long skills along the way.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Schelp newspaper, super low pay
not a very good job
Paper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON13 March 2017
working for the metro land news advertiser was not a pleasant job but was a good part time job for a kid. you do more work then you get payed for. you must go door to door and collect an optional fee from strangers. they take a percent of what you collect from houses based on how many house are on your prescribed route..
Pros
short hours
Cons
little pay, work in bad weather
friendly environment
Customer Service Representative (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 March 2017
Management and coworkers were all very friendly and welcoming. I learned how to deal with frusterated customers with ease and a calm manner. Hours can be flexible.
Pros
Can take break when you choose
Cons
Not getting recognition for all you do
fun
Newspaper Courier Delivery (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
Great company to work with amazing timings 4 days a month no trouble at all independent job working own your own flexible hours reference upon request
Long hours and handling mostly difficult customers and parents but great colleagues.
District Rep (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 March 2017
Learnt handling the people from all walks of like and minors. Management allows individual reps to "grow" by letting us make our own decisions. Great work place atmosphere. get to meet great kids!
Pros
Felxible Hours
Cons
Metroland is a good company.
Various Supervisory Positions (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
Metroland is a good company, where I worked part-time for 8 years. The management is strong and offerings are quite innovative. I greatly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Geographic reach across Ontario
Cons
N/a
Good experience for young workers
Newspaper girl (Former Employee) –  North York, ON27 January 2017
Good experience for a young person to get experience within the job world. Not the best job considering the amount of heavy lifting and delivery during extreme weather.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Bad working conditions. (i.e weather)
Great work/life balance
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North York, ON24 January 2017
Work as a verifier/customer service. The staff feels like family. Everyone works to help the team. I learned a great deal about patience and kindness towards the customers. Since the centralization, there has been an enormous volume of calls and It on a busy day it can be overwhelming to take on the task. However the environment balances it out as everyone in the team is there to help out one another.
Trying to stop the bleeding
News Editor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
Run. This is a dying industry. Metroland Media Toronto has gutted its newsroom of any qualified editors. Newsroom management lacks any formal training. Metroland has handsomely paid its senior managing editors and sub-editors to leave. The workplace culture has turned into a news sweatshop. It has taken talented skilled employees and replaced them with cheaper minions. The duties are not difficult, however, the amount of work far exceeds the hours in a shift. Therefore, if you are willing to work endless unpaid hours this is the job for you.
Pros
Decent salary, good benefits (not sure if similar packages are offered now)
Cons
Unpaid OT - if any OT, untrained management, very little room for improvement
Great company
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 January 2017
I was an employee of Metroland for many years and enjoyed it. Eventually it was time for me to leave. Great experience. Salary was reasonable. Benefits were great. Management was fair. Challenging work. Poor morale.
A good place to work
Gordon Baker Rd (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
The work environment was great. During the summer it was cool and during the winter it was warm. The management would take care of its workers and they would respect the coworker. It's a great place to work with little education and I learned a lot working there.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours sometimes
Newspaper delivery
Newpaper delivery (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 December 2016
Picked up papers at warehouse and deliver then to residential homes. Have to deal with the weather. Pay per paper not hourly. Have to deal with traffic where no sidewalks
Pros
At own pase
Cons
Long hours low pay
Ability to advance and deep routs within the community
Regional Director Distribution Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Metroland are a flyer distribution company with over 100 community newspapers in southern Ontario that carry the inserts, but they have grown into a media company.

They now have many digital properties and magazines to go along with the newspapers and distribution. A sales person has something to offer any business looking to promote their business to any market within southern Ontario.

The staff are what make Metroland great! They work as individuals but yet will help each other achieve their goals.

The management team needs to be out in the market supporting the sales team more and seeing what their up against.

You have the opportunity to help every business achieve their goals buy marketing to what is important to them be it target marketing through print, flyers, magazines or digital.
Pros
sales incentives, team launches, breakfast and your voice is heard.
Cons
Managers don't spend eough time helping the staff
Amazing Co-Workers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Metroland is a faced paced, stressful environment that is sales driven. Working there has taught me how to uses my negotiation and problem solving skills to there max. Management has mostly been encouraging and supportive. My co-workers became my family away from home. Unfortunately with the decline in print media major downsizing was required.
Pros
Great Co-workers!
Cons
Decline in Print media

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metroland Media. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8