Metroland Media Employee Reviews

Not worth your time, keep looking
Multi-Media Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 May 2016
Print industry is going down and out. It's dog eat dog industry that is crashing. Customers know it too.
Hard job due to no training, management and no one buying. You will be promised training, a high income and a team environment (everyone is out for themselves and you cant trust anyone). Managment plays favorites and has no integrity. You may make average income. Easier sales jobs out there with no stress and more money with less hours.
Benefits
Cons
Management is terrible, customers complain, no training, no team environment
Well, technically, it's a job...
Manager (Former Employee) –  South Western Ontario6 June 2016
That's it really: it's just a job. Don't ever expect to stay for longer than a year or so - they constantly trim the fat. Once you hit a certain pay tier, you become an instant target for 'downsizing' regardless of how much work you put in per week, what you've achieved, or what you've done for the company as a whole.
The inner politics are overwhelming. Management are usually over-skilled and horribly overworked. General managers have little interest in employee welfare, despite the constant corporate proclamations to the contrary.
Employee innovation is almost never rewarded and management are constantly claiming responsibility for your hard work with their superiors - mostly out of fear. Regional managers are forever distributing the responsibilities of the latest lay-offs onto the remaining employees claiming that these are now their updated responsibilities under the current regime.
Computer systems and tools are usually woefully outdated, connected services are constantly failing and they laid off most of their technical support representatives, so the situation never improves making the job difficult to accomplish on a daily basis - hence the longer hours.
Pros
It can be a job, The office was nice, Company benefits.
Cons
Long unpaid hours, Endless pointless paperwork, Poor management interaction, Constant fear of lay-offs
Good work, bad pay and management
Third Operator (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON5 June 2016
Fun work environment, good learning opportunities, however low salary and low appreciation of work/little promotion opportunities
Senior Graphic Designer/Creative Consultatnt (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2016
Great company to work for, lots of room for improvement. Not formal workplace, part of torstar - big corporation, procedures and policies, still pay benefits, easy commute.
Pros
nice team
Cons
should be more innovative
Ability to advance and deep routs within the community
Regional Director Distribution Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Metroland are a flyer distribution company with over 100 community newspapers in southern Ontario that carry the inserts, but they have grown into a media company.

They now have many digital properties and magazines to go along with the newspapers and distribution. A sales person has something to offer any business looking to promote their business to any market within southern Ontario.

The staff are what make Metroland great! They work as individuals but yet will help each other achieve their goals.

The management team needs to be out in the market supporting the sales team more and seeing what their up against.

You have the opportunity to help every business achieve their goals buy marketing to what is important to them be it target marketing through print, flyers, magazines or digital.
Pros
sales incentives, team launches, breakfast and your voice is heard.
Cons
Managers don't spend eough time helping the staff
Amazing Co-Workers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Metroland is a faced paced, stressful environment that is sales driven. Working there has taught me how to uses my negotiation and problem solving skills to there max. Management has mostly been encouraging and supportive. My co-workers became my family away from home. Unfortunately with the decline in print media major downsizing was required.
Pros
Great Co-workers!
Cons
Decline in Print media
A good place to work
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 January 2016
For the 7 years I worked at Metroland, I would say that this was a satisfying place to work at. There are no co-workers in this position. The most enjoyable part of the job is the happy customers you meet.
Pros
Happy customers
Cons
Low salary
Great managers and good feeling to be active
Newspaper Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2016
I think this job is good for child and adult as well, 12 hours per month working hours. Manager is kind and helpful so it would be easy to update my need in this job. However, this job is mainly designed for children's job, it would not be good for maintaining independent adult's monthly living.
Pros
flexible managers
Cons
not good to adult's monthly living
Tiring, not worth the money.
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 March 2016
I got my newspapers every thursday and friday and it took me 3-4 hours working on just rolling up the newspapers. Then delivering the newspapers took me an additional hour. I didn't get enough time to do my school homework. Also didn't recieve the right rubber bands to roll up the newspapers so it would snap and sting my hands. Also earned way below the minimum wage, around 60 bucks a month for doing 96 houses twice a week.
Cons
The money isn't a lot compared to the long hours you do rolling up the papers and delivering them.
Great learning and personal development experience
Reporter (Current Employee) –  Bradford West Gwillimbury, ON26 October 2016
The role of a reporter has changed drastically since I was hired in 2012. Social media and online posting has become the main focus, requiring editors, reporters and photographers to have a strong knowledge of online sources and "getting the word out there" as soon as possible.
District Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
Metroland media is a good company with a flexible hours. Co-workers are very friendly. I had to leave the company because i had to back to school full time.
Easy and Fast
Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
Just putting all the flyers together and delivering them every Thursdays before the time given. The hardest part would be bringing in the flyers from outside because it can be really heavy. Delivering them on the sunny day could turn out fun and fast.
Pros
Contests
Cons
More flyers, More money
Great Place to work
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 October 2016
Great place to work, great attitude, just dying industry. People are really nice, corporate environment has strict but manageable deadlines. I would remain at Metorland if it wasn't for the little growth opportunity.
Pros
Great enviroment
Cons
Dying Industry
Positive Working Atmosphere
Digital Consultant and Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2016
Working for Metroland has been a great experience thus far! It has allowed me to learn about the industry and to gain more skills and experiences that I will use throughout my career.
Pros
Great working atmoshphere
Cons
On the road to much
bundles heavy
skidder (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 October 2016
heavy bundles but easy work, christmas is busy. new year quiet times . good people fun job most of the time co works are fun
most enjoyable part is break
Pros
easy
Cons
hours
Depends on how many routes you take
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON10 September 2016
There are a lot of awards for carriers so it is nice but the pay is not that great. The work is the same every single week so nothing interesting really happens. It is a great way however to get to know your neighbours.
productive
Sales Manager - Inside Sales/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON18 May 2016
Political concerns based on who is leading the pack. Very slow to evolve.
Print is dying, concerned that they did not jump into the online world as fast as they could
Pros
close with team mates
Cons
long hours, sitting alot
physically demanding job
Pocket Feeder (Current Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON31 May 2016
it is a very on hands job, on my feet all the time and I know now how flyers get into newspapers. I wish it was a full time job. I put flyers into a hopper and that feeds it into a paper. there is an assembly line of people a different hoppers have different flyers. I get along well with my coworkers. the hard part is working nights. its only 3 to 4 days of work and its shift work. I like that its a physical job.
Good work environment, with lack of growth potential.
Advertising Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON23 March 2012
Metroland Media Group is one of Canada's largest media companies, being a subsidiary of TorStar Corp. You would think that with an organization this big growth and advancement opportunities within the company would be mroe readily available and obtainable. Major downsizing and cost-cutting over the last couple of years has left this company devoid of any real growth opportunities within its many divisions.

That said, it has been decent place of employment for the 4 years I have worked here, with no real major complaints.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
low compensation in terms of industry-standards, little possibility for growth.
Fun working with children
District Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 January 2016
Long hours due to being in the newspaper industry. Management wasn't available most of the time. Worked well alone or with a team. Flexible co-workers
Pros
Time off
Cons
Working in bad weather no mater what

2.7