Metro Employee Reviews

Metro
bakery (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 April 2017
As I was only employed at Metro for a short period of time it provided me with baking skills. The co-workers were not very friendly and the job wasnt suitable for me!
A great store with an even greater cast of co-workers.
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 April 2017
I haven't been hear for at least half a year yet but I can tell you the co-workers your surrounded with are the absolute greatest. In the beginning they are your mentors and by the time you gain some form of comfort ability they're your friends.
Pros
Discounts
pretty average place to work all around
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 April 2017
i wouldn't say metro is a bad place to work it was just my particular location had a lot of rude customers, and also just the structure of the schedules weren't thoroughly planned out before posted
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
no discounts
good job seasonal
Road building (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 March 2017
seasonal road building, calgary area traveled to towns around calgary area working on road building crew stayed in hotels offten live out and travel paid.
Productive place to work and develop a good work method.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa29 March 2017
I enjoyed my time at Metro since it helped me develop many skills such as; customer service skills, communication skills, and problem solving skills, and organization skills.
Pros
Dental plan, close to home, good atmosphere, friendly colleagues
Cons
Repetitive tasks, lack of credit
boring and stressful work environment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2017
did not enjoy the work experience. The manager always made me feel uncomfortable and would ask me to do work that was meant to be done by other staff.
It was good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON28 March 2017
It was good, the people were good, the experience was good. I very much enjoyed it was a first job. The management was grat to work for and their employees were good too
the best that got away
Customer Service desk/ Cash Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 March 2017
this was the best job I was happy to work with and im actually trying to get back in due to some family problems that come in the way. great team of managers and the best co workers i had the chance to work with.
Great Job
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2017
They are a equal opportunity employer. I was able to get additional training in the last 6 months and I like what I do and would suggest this employer
Pros
Flexible hrs
Cons
The work schedule doesn't pay the bills.
Bad management
Cashier, stocking, service desk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 March 2017
Fun workplace, slow times, nothing to do or improve on. Management does not care about its customers. Other than that, just a regular grocery store. Nothing special
Great first job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON25 March 2017
Metro is probably the most flexible place to work, the schedule comes out weekly so you can book off time with ease and I have never been denied a day off for a valid reason. They're super considerate when it comes to school and are always positive.
Pros
hour break on 8 hour shifts thats paid, good environment
Cons
repetitive, nothing to do when customers aren't there
Metro
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON21 March 2017
Worked in the bakery, and did all that was necessary to keep bakery fully stocked, clean and serve the customers. The day staff mainly did the cooking and baking so make sure the area was kept clean and ready for the next days baking was my primary job responsibility and serving the customer as required.

Learned how to make sure to keep a work environment clean and tidy for food preparation and inspection. Allowed to serve the customers so learned good customer service techniques.

The workplace culture was defined by the day time staff in the bakery; area was always clean and welcoming. Training was very thorough.

Keeping busy when all my tasks were done, was probably the hardest part, would have loved to have more tasks assigned so no down time or "looking for work".

Loved working with the customer!
Pros
Working with people, great training
Great place to pick up skills
Cashier/Front End (Current Employee) –  London, ON15 March 2017
You learn many different skills working in this environment that will be beneficial to you in later life. You learn how to manage large amounts of money, stamina in being on your feet for long hours, communication skills with dealing with the everyday public, and how to organize the food in which it's best to keep what separated from what and what's best to keep together.

This is a job I highly suggest this job to others as a first time job to move forward in life.
Pros
Union
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Deli Clerk
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 March 2017
While I was working in the deli I enjoyed helping customers with whatever they needed but the one problem was that people would always complain for non sence
First Job Experience
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 March 2017
This was my first job and was a great first experience. The position provided me with a great opportunity to learn about the work force. I gained customer service skills and improved on my organizational skills.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Miserable co-workers
diverse work place
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 March 2017
just like any company it has positive and negative experiences. What you need to do is focus on the positive instead of the negative so that you are able to move forward.

I worked in multiple different departments which I enjoyed because it brought different challenges sometimes daily, sometimes weekly.
Difficult times
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
I found working the one location of Metro to be difficult. I had to go out to Liberty Village and it would take a long time to get out there. I was given shorts shifts even if it took me and hour and a half to get out there. They didn't seem to understand that travel time was hard for me coming from the east side of town,
Review
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 March 2017
Overall, the work experience was good. I received all the hours I needed. I felt very respected while working for Metro. The wages weren't the greatest though.
Pros
hours
Cons
wage
family oriented place of work
Deli/F2GO/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON4 March 2017
great people that are humans running a business. they care about everybody not just the management, they work with everybody to make sure we all stay happy and they definitely put customers before anyone else.
Pros
good hours
Cons
nothing really
Undrafted Worldwide Management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2017
Everyday is a new day and coming to work you have to know that. For example everyone is going to be in different moods. So you have to bring that energy that is going to pull them through.

Managing people is not hard, teach them and treat them with respect and they will always admire you for that.

Having breakfast, lunch and dinner moments with your co-workers.
Those are the best parts.

Letting people know how you really feel.

The people are the most enjoyable part of the job. From the customers to the co-workers, all the way up to the bosses.
Pros
Loving the job to the fullest.
Cons
Not loving the job to the fullest.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro. Our community is ready to answer.