Metro Employee Reviews in Canada

Benefits
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 16, 2016
I appreciate haing benefits at Metro. I know some time has to put in to use them, but I'm grateful for the variety of benefits they provide.
Some of the plans, I know they have available are:
dental, optical, drug plan, orthodic, double air miles.
I have been with the company for many years and I appreciate the shift premium on weeknights and weekends.
I have had the privilege of working in a variety of departments and have enjoyed the cross training experience, to better help the customers.
Benefits
Cons
Hard to move up
great
cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 6, 2016
great place to work I would highly recommend this place as a employment venture they have benefits and competitive hours
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
No benefits
Fresh2Go Pizza Maker (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONJanuary 31, 2016
Hello,

I've been working at Metro for 6 months and theres no benefits/discounts. I wish we could get at least a certain percentage off, but, we don't even get a $1.46 coffee for free.
Pros
Fun making pizzas
Cons
Lots of standing
Not productive- High school all over again
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 8, 2015
Every department has a lot of drama between staff members. Other than that, Great training and coaching, very boring work environment, You don't do much during a shift. Not challenging at all. The fact your in a union is amazing because the job security is perfect for anyone looking to have a long term job. Benefits are nearly impossible to get if you're working part time.
Fast paced work environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONSeptember 19, 2015
I work as a pharmacy assistant and all I can say is wow. I have never loved a job so much in my life. The management and staff are amazing people to work with. I was appreciated for the good work I was doing and received a quite generous raise. Overall, I love my job. This job actually made me decide to become a pharmacist – something I never thought I would be interested in doing.
Pros
Great management, nice coworkers
No challenging.
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 26, 2015
Pros
great job security
Cons
boring job.
productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 19, 2016
I have been with A&P/Metro for over 30 years and in that time I have learned a lot. I did invoicing, I am on the health and safety committee in the store. I know how to order product. I am a cashier and now I work in the scanning department. That is where I try to keep the prices and tags on the shelves the same. I work a 24 hour work week and I deal with issues in every department, including what management needs me to do. Customer service is important because without them I would not have a job.
A typical day is very busy. I have to do my job and if it gets busy I have to check out customers. That is the part of the job I do not like as it puts me behind.
The management team I have are great. They listen to what you have to say.
For the most part my coworkers are a good bunch of people to work with. Just like everywhere else you have the people who are lazy.
The hardest part of my job is not having enough time to get my work done.
I love what I do, however I would like more time to do a better job.
Fun work place environment,Great starter job.
Cut Fruit/ Produce clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 20, 2016
A typical work day is usually quite pleasant and enjoyable, busy but enjoyable. I've learned to be a hard worker and to work as a team.The management team does their best to keep everyone happy and motivated to get the job done. I have great co-workers, we all get along extremely well and work very well together. The hardest part of the job is keeping up the pace to complete our daily goals we set upon ourselves. I enjoy the people I work with the most because we all get along so well it makes the work day go by quickly.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive, challenging, and cooperative environment
Deli and Hot Food Attendant (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 14, 2016
Work was fast-paced, had a lot to do and did not spend time idle. I learned about the different types of produce in their department and types of preparation for the food in their department. Manager was challenging but firm, co-workers were very focused and gave top-quality service to all customers. The hardest part of the job was timing orders on prepared meals and dealing with multiple customers. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was helping customers understand the different kinds of meats, cheeses, and other produce that they can use in conjunction with each other.
Pros
Inviting environment, food tasting, good relationship building with customers
Cons
Demanding, stressful.
Friendly consumer based environment with patient staff members
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2016
Working at Metro Grocery was truly an amazing experience. Being located in the Bakery Department, I learned how bake everything from bread to cookies to cakes. Working in the morning and afternoon was primarily focused on food preparation and customer service, while the evening shifts were all about the organization and preparation of the bakery department for the following day. My co-workers were friendly and patient, and my manager was very impressed by my ability to be able to work on very short notice. The most enjoyable part of being a Bakery Clerk was being able to successfully attend to the customers needs, while the most challenging was learning how to make the baked goods. Overall, Metro provided me with a valuable and unforgettable experience.
Pros
Manager was lenient on vacation days
Cons
Did not receive very many hours
Good and Safe work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  toronto, ontarioJune 14, 2015
I worked part time at Metro Inc located at Yonge and Eglinton area. The job is good because I do not only work as a regular cashier but I was also assigned at the service desk where I help the customer with minor complains and returns as well as handling the head cash, doing Western Union Transactions and selling TTC fares like metropasses, tokens and tickets. It was such a great work experience to work at Metro because the management team was great.
Pros
Free food if there are events like christmas party
Cons
short hours, no raise
Hectic with pizza buns
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 13, 2016
It is a good job that builds character but after a while it just builds unnecessary stress.

The management is kind and not rude but they are not too fair with scheduling hours.

Co-workers are very nice and respectful to you, management, and customers. They always have your back if you are too sick to come in to work.

Balancing between attending to customers and also getting all work done before closing time can be extremely difficult at often times and taking breaks become optional.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able advise customers what the best deals and cake flavours are. And probably writing on cakes.

At least you can get a pizza bun for a few quarters.
Pros
A few friends in the workplace
Cons
Expects too much from you in a little amount of time
Metro is a fast paced job and it's never boring.
Metro Employee (Cut Fruit) (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJuly 8, 2016
My position in metro was very fast paced and was never a boring. I'd always have something to do. I'd either be cutting some fruit, putting fruit in trays, or stacking them on shelves. I learned how to work a small room with lots of people. My time working there was nice. The management, were nice and welcoming people. My co-workers were just as welcoming always making conversation. The hardest part of my job was definitely working in such a small room with a lot of people. The enjoyable part was always having someone to talk to.
Pros
Long lunch hours (depending how many i'm working)
Cons
small room
Fun Work Environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 11, 2015
Everyday at work was enjoyable, it was actually really fun. Everyone I worked with was great, from co-workers to store managers, no one gave each other any hassle. I learned a lot from this job, how to interact with people, and what to expect from an employer, and to not sit around and wait for opportunities, I have to make my own. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with, the environment was friendly and fun, everyone got their respective work done while being able to be social while doing it. The hardest part of my day, would have been the rare tough customers, but even they didn't bother me that much.
Pros
Extremely good work hour flexibility, and work environment.
Cons
No job security, and no raise after 6 years of hard working.
Hard Working Atmosphere
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2016
Metro is a company where you come to work hard and put in effort to build a better life for yourself. This company helped me by pushing me to further my experiences in different fields such as cake decorating and baking. Although I have been doing this for a short period of time the training they gave me was a big push and helped me work to learning the skills faster.
Awful workplace
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 28, 2016
Staff all fight with each other. Management is very poor, and unorganized. Scheduling is mediocre at best, except you're always expected to be at their beckon call. Full time employees mistreat a large majority of part time employees, and the store has a very poor culture.
Cons
Bad hours, Bad management, bad place of employment
Aweful, inconsiderate.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONApril 10, 2016
Metro was not a good place to work, the environment was cruel, along with the management that was very rude. I was not respected there and I wanted to be. The training was very hard and the trainer would leave me alone on my first day and I would not know what to do making customers angry. The trainer would then say it was my fault making me feel worse and they would accuse me for not doing my job on the first day of ever working as a cashier. It was not a very pleasant place to work and I will never be going back to any Metro for a job or grocery shopping.
Pros
Cons
Environment, lonely, rude management. inconsiderate workers.
Nice place to work
Meat Department/Courtesy (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 28, 2016
Metro is a fun place to work; management and co-workers are great. Dealing with the public/customers is something that not only am I good at but I thoroughly enjoy.
Unfortunately they can't provide me with more hours while I am saving for school. So I find myself looking for full-time or supplemental employment.
Good Job
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Decent job with a fair pay. Unless you don't like getting your feet moist and your hands covered in meat juice. Along with that, personally at the metro I worked at, the management was not the best.
Pros
Fair Pay, Safe work environment
Cons
Smells, Not a job for Vegans
Great team atmosphere
Communications (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 20, 2016
- 9 to 5 work-life balance is not unattainable
- Learned a great deal about project management, marketing, presenting plans to the c-suite
- Management is supportive and encouraging
- Co-workers worked cohesively
- Hardest part was the low salary/lack of benefits or perks
- Most enjoyable part was the team atmosphere and corporate culture
Pros
Wednesday BBQ lunches in the summer, really cheap cafeteria, supportive management, ability to move up
Cons
Low salary, lack of benefits or perks