Metro Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great team atmosphere
Communications (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 20, 2016
Pros: Wednesday BBQ lunches in the summer, really cheap cafeteria, supportive management, ability to move up
Cons: Low salary, lack of benefits or perks
- 9 to 5 work-life balance is not unattainable
- Learned a great deal about project management, marketing, presenting plans to the c-suite
- Management is supportive and encouraging
- Co-workers worked cohesively
- Hardest part was the low salary/lack of benefits or perks
- Most enjoyable part was the team atmosphere and corporate culture
A better work place
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 16, 2016
i am working as a cashier at metro from almost last 1 and half year. This is my first job in canada. I really like this work place.
Productive, challenging, and cooperative environment
Deli and Hot Food Attendant (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 14, 2016
Pros: Inviting environment, food tasting, good relationship building with customers
Cons: Demanding, stressful.
Work was fast-paced, had a lot to do and did not spend time idle. I learned about the different types of produce in their department and types of preparation for the food in their department. Manager was challenging but firm, co-workers were very focused and gave top-quality service to all customers. The hardest part of the job was timing orders on prepared meals and dealing with multiple customers. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was helping customers understand the different kinds of meats, cheeses, and other produce that they can use in conjunction with each other.
Good Overall
Seafood Manager/Bakery Asst (Current Employee), Toronto, Brampton, BowmanvilleMay 12, 2016
Great job to work around your personal/school life
Very good co-workers, plenty of departments in which you can train or work in
Management is always very helpful
excellent work place
Deli Server (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 11, 2016
i enjoy the workplace, i have learned how to do inventory, write and place orders..i enjoying working with my co workers, I love seeing all the customers
Best Job Ever
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 6, 2016
- everyday is an new adventure
- always learning new parts of the job
- nice outgoing coworkers, management, customers
- having the freedom of having my own specific duties
Homesense Review
Front End Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2016
Pros: The main pro would be getting 8 and 9 hour shifts
Cons: Con would be the dwindling hours and not knowing if your going to get any the following week.
A typical day at work in like any other job.
The first thing we would do is punch in then go straight to the warehouse where most of the magic happens. We usually get between 10-30 skids on the truck and we have a certain amount of time for it to be offloaded. Then while two people are doing that and putting the boxed products on the belt there are a few other people who are unpacking them and processing them putting them on tanks then getting ready to wheel them out to the floor. Once the skids are cleared the product is then sent to be put on the floor in an orderly fashion.
The thing i learned while working here is never take anything for granted and make sure to make the most of your day.
The management are all pretty cool all sorts of different personalities and everyone having a good time and getting the work done like they're supposed to. Co-works..i kind of have the best co-workers. They are the main reason i go to work. I have made some great friendships and they always make me laugh even when i am having a bad day.
Productive work place
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONApril 24, 2016
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: long hours
Usually busy on weekends.

Overall, a good place to work for minimum wage

Management treatment was first class

Easy to make friends with co worker and its easy to get along with everyone
Friendly consumer based environment with patient staff members
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2016
Pros: Manager was lenient on vacation days
Cons: Did not receive very many hours
Working at Metro Grocery was truly an amazing experience. Being located in the Bakery Department, I learned how bake everything from bread to cookies to cakes. Working in the morning and afternoon was primarily focused on food preparation and customer service, while the evening shifts were all about the organization and preparation of the bakery department for the following day. My co-workers were friendly and patient, and my manager was very impressed by my ability to be able to work on very short notice. The most enjoyable part of being a Bakery Clerk was being able to successfully attend to the customers needs, while the most challenging was learning how to make the baked goods. Overall, Metro provided me with a valuable and unforgettable experience.
Friendly customers and co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee), London, ONApril 20, 2016
Working as a cashier, and a deli server at Metro was a great learning experience because it was set in a very friendly environment. The most enjoyable part about this job was being able to interact with the customers and work together with other employees to make our work ethic stronger. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with difficult customers, but this taught me how to be patient, and improve my communication skills.
boring job good pay
Deli Worker (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: working with customers
Cons: rude co-workers and non flexible hours
it was a boring job same thing every shift. didn't teach me anything. a lot of the co-workers were a bit rude but some were really friendly.
Cashier - The best part about this job is interacting with different customers :)
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), 6677 Meadowvale Town CentreApril 18, 2016
It is a good working environment, and the management ensure customers needs are addressed and met. The most enjoyable part about the job is interacting and conversing with customers.
Hectic with pizza buns
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONApril 13, 2016
Pros: A few friends in the workplace
Cons: Expects too much from you in a little amount of time
It is a good job that builds character but after a while it just builds unnecessary stress.

The management is kind and not rude but they are not too fair with scheduling hours.

Co-workers are very nice and respectful to you, management, and customers. They always have your back if you are too sick to come in to work.

Balancing between attending to customers and also getting all work done before closing time can be extremely difficult at often times and taking breaks become optional.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able advise customers what the best deals and cake flavours are. And probably writing on cakes.

At least you can get a pizza bun for a few quarters.
Aweful, inconsiderate.
Cashier (Former Employee), Orleans, ONApril 10, 2016
Pros: none
Cons: Environment, lonely, rude management. inconsiderate workers.
Metro was not a good place to work, the environment was cruel, along with the management that was very rude. I was not respected there and I wanted to be. The training was very hard and the trainer would leave me alone on my first day and I would not know what to do making customers angry. The trainer would then say it was my fault making me feel worse and they would accuse me for not doing my job on the first day of ever working as a cashier. It was not a very pleasant place to work and I will never be going back to any Metro for a job or grocery shopping.
friendly
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Orangeville, ONApril 9, 2016
So far, (I have been there 2 months), it has been fine, everybody is helpful and friendly. Customers seem to have a special and unique relationship with the cashiers.
great
cashier (Former Employee), Kingston, ONApril 6, 2016
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
great place to work I would highly recommend this place as a employment venture they have benefits and competitive hours
Great work environment, People are very welcoming.
Cashier/ Fresh 2 Go (Former Employee), Belleville, ONApril 3, 2016
Pros: Great hours
Cons: Not understanding management
I thought it was a good work environment ,but one of the managers was not open to any opinion what so ever. When a complaint was received , I was not given the chance too voice my opinion. Only listened to the customers opinion , not employee.
very friendly place
Cashier (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 31, 2016
the co-workers are very nice, i enjoyed working there, the management is okay, i believe that's they policies at metro but i don't really approve. The hardest part of the job is fact that you standing on your feet and scanning the grocery.
Awful workplace
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 28, 2016
Cons: Bad hours, Bad management, bad place of employment
Staff all fight with each other. Management is very poor, and unorganized. Scheduling is mediocre at best, except you're always expected to be at their beckon call. Full time employees mistreat a large majority of part time employees, and the store has a very poor culture.
Nice place to work
Meat Department/Courtesy (Current Employee), Whitby, ONMarch 28, 2016
Metro is a fun place to work; management and co-workers are great. Dealing with the public/customers is something that not only am I good at but I thoroughly enjoy.
Unfortunately they can't provide me with more hours while I am saving for school. So I find myself looking for full-time or supplemental employment.