Metro

Metro Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and Knowledgeable
Baker/Cake Decorator (Former Employee), London OntJuly 2, 2013
Pros: union and benifits
Cons: not enough hours
I learned allot from this business this is how I got into the cake business and started a passion for cake decorating. I improved my knowledge from hands on work and taking classes and watching videos to make sure I was the best at what I did, I wanted to make sure that when the customers left they left happy.

I got to know regular customers and the things they liked, I could see them coming and have the stuff they needed ready for there arrival such as cutting there bread a certain way or having the product packaged, ladled and ready for them to take so there was no waiting period,

My Day at work all depended on what needed to be done. I was the main cake decorator, but I expanded my knowledge to knowing everything around my department so I new how to do it all. I found it very helpful because I new my way around the hole department if anyone needed something I new if I could get it done or not and when It would be done if I could, I pretty much ran the department with out the manger name.

My Manger and co-workers, where great, we came across some employees that didn't do there job to the full capacity that they were required to do, some stayed and some were let go. The ones that stayed was because we had no other help so those days were kind of rushed having to pick up there slack and do your own it was defiantly rushed and fast passed but we got threw it.

The hardest part of the job would have been the days that you had to open close and do cakes, it was very hard because you felt that you didn't have time to get everything done that you wanted to get done or needed. – more... I would go home feeling unsatisfied about my job not fully done but at the same time you did what you could.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers appreciation when I would give them there order weather it was bread cakes or cookies, just the satisfaction of them being happy and satisfied with the product. – less
Long shifts made it hard to work there as a student
department assistant (Former Employee), OntarioJune 13, 2015
Pros: Met some nice people my age
Cons: long hours, difficult bosses, rude staff
I worked in Metro for 5 months and was given the shifts that no one wanted, often left alone in the department for the whole shift. I worked close to full time and I was a student. I talked to the manager at the department about cutting back on my hours and he pretty much told me to go away. Everyone was scheduled and all the shifts they didn't want were given to me. Employees often called in sick and I would be called in very last minute, if I was unable to take the shift i was often yelled at. If I was sick and called in hours before my shift I was scolded by the managers at the department. I was threatened by one of the co-managers, she told me pretty much that I was in probation period and they could fire me when ever they wanted and smiled after saying that.

The store managers were very nice but the department managers were awful, they clearly had no idea how to run a department and how to handle people. They often talked behind the customers backs about how much of a hassle they were and made rude jokes about religions, races, body shape and type.

I would NOT recommend metro to anyone, they are a place that pull kids in then threaten to fire them before probation ends for whatever they feel like.
Fun workplace but poor management
Cashier (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: fantastic co-workers, close to campus
Cons: often felt belittled by my superiors
Shifts at Metro were an average of 6 hours and consisted of processing grocery orders, interacting with customers, cleaning my assigned cash and the area surrounding it, fielding customer concerns and complaints, and sometimes acting as a witness/backup when my supervisors performed cash pickups.

Overall, I've had a very positive experience at Metro, mostly due to my excellent relationships with my co-workers and regular customers. There isn't much opportunity for advancement but I was aware of that when I took the job; I was looking for easy employment that would give me enough hours per month to support myself. Nevertheless, I've learned important (if difficult) lessons in conflict management, especially during my temporary stint as overnight supervisor in December.

My reason for seeking out new employment lies with a recent change in management. My positive experiences with them have been few and far between. Furthermore, their recent decision to cut hours has left me in an awkward position, as I live on my own and rely on this job to pay my living expenses. Though unfortunate, I believe this is a good opportunity to look for new employment relevant to my interests and studies.
busy and productive day with customers
Fresh 2 Go Manager/Deli Full Time (Former Employee), markham and eglitonSeptember 23, 2012
Pros: working with good people and the customers, benifits are good
Cons: not enough time to give proper customer service or prep time
Begin the day by getting the coffee on and saying good morning to my staff, i would then do loss control of off code products. Then i would go out and see what all had to be filled in my counters and begin to fill them, once filled i would go to the freeezer and get all the products i would need for the day and next. At 11:00 am i would make pizza's for the counter and get the hot sandwich counter up and running. Dealing with cash while doing every thing else was a good way to learn how to multi task. Next around 2pm the order would come in aand i would head to recieving to get it, take it apart and put it away.All this time you would have to stop and deal with customers questions and taking pizza orders answering the department phone and deal with the store manager if he had ant questions. Take a quick lunch and back to start preping for your weekly department specials, Fresh to go had 2 pizza's every wednesday night and wings every thursday. Before leaving i would leave notes for the night staff so they knew what had to be done eg. ribs, roast, chickens etc. Greet night staff go over every thing to make sure it is clear and head home.
an overall great part time job with nice customers and employees
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Brampton OntarioSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: personal growth and development in position
Cons: un-reliable scheduling and hours, pay rate was low
Metro is a great place to work for many reasons. It was the perfect job to have while being in school. Every day has a certain routine and list of duties and within a couple of weeks I learned what had to be done and I was given more and more responsibilities. All of the employees were placed in different shifts according to what they were taught. I had many different shift, from a regular evening shift, to taking charge of sandwiches and party trays-as well as opening and closing. All employees are trained to provide excellent customer service, as well as maintaining a clean working environment. the co-workers are a great group of people, ages ranging from teens to working moms, and every one becomes comfortable and respectful of each other. Management has it's ups and downs, but all jobs do. The most difficult part of the job for me was never the actual work that was involved, but lately the department has some chaotic days where things are not organized in the way they should be, making days more stressful. All tasks assigned get finished, but people become too stressed too easily.
Warm, productive and enjoyable talking to different people everyday
Customer Service/Cashier, H&S Rep. and Trainer (Current Employee), BramptonNovember 3, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule and times
Cons: lack of communication and minimum wage pay
At work I run the customer service desk which requires assisting customers with their questions, concerns, complaints etc. as well as managing the front-end floor. I need to manage breaks, money deposits, change, cashiers etc. The most enjoyably part of the job would be interacting with different customers each day with different problems etc. that I as the customer service rep. needs to learn to deal with in a professional manner The hardest part of the job would be trying to communicate with everyone around the store to get things done since everyone is on shift work. Co-workers are excellent, friendly and work hard but sometimes they need some direction to fix a problem. I have learned and developed excellent customer service skills, management skills, time management skills, problem solving and interpersonal skills. I have developed further the ability to work as part of a team, in a team oriented environment as well as working alone and being able to manage projects solely such as being the health and safety rep.
Learning Experience and a Fun Work Place
Floral Designer (Current Employee), Ajax, OnJanuary 25, 2015
My typical week at work daily is a breakdown of things to do.

Check all flower dates upon arrival.
Dispose of expired flower arrangements and 10 day guaranteed bouquets.
Change all water in all flowers.
Make flower arrangements needed for the week.
Unload all stock orders from the warehouse.
Serve customers threw out the day wrapping items, cashing them out threw cash register cash,debit,credit transactions.
Take phone orders
Change pricing for the new week sale every Thursday

What i learned

To make arrangements the metro way
Cash out customers
Wrapping flower arrangement for customers
How to price an arrangement
Cleaning procedures
Take customers phone order
Procedure after making an arrangement calculating the arrangement for the store records
Tracking waist

My manager is amazing she teaches very well and has a lot of patience she is fun to work with.

Co-workers have not met them yet

My hardest part of the job is to be creative with different flowers

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with different flowers and making the customer happy the best way i can.
Got me on my feet
Cashier (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 3, 2014
A typical day working at Metro would look like the following:
- get on the floor and set up my till
- have customers line up and serve them
- make sure everything is priced correctly
-make sure they found everything and interact with them as you check, price check and bag their groceries.
- check shelf s and organize shelf s better when the tills are not busy
-keep an eye out for loss prevention.

I enjoyed the management at Metro as a cashier and they were very helpful with my goals. My co- workers were a breeze to work with.

The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people from all walks of life and hearing different stories each day.

Going into this job I knew that I could only receive 6-10 hours a week due to their availability to provide that amount of hours. Before accepting this position, I had a bad luck of being unemployed for 2 months and it was a blessing receiving this job and working for this company. It helped me on my toes. Unfortunately, I had to leave this position due to the fact that I had received my current job from Holiday Inn Hotel and I was getting double booked. The lack of hours was the only reason why I left this job,
Meh, it's a job.
Clerk (Current Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: you get paid to be there, there's always an interesting character around
Cons: terrible union, no discounts at all, benefits are awful, high stress for managers
To get a full-time job at Metro you need to work there part time for years. Depending on which union, you might be guaranteed a whopping 16 hours after a few years of service. Just started? You aren't guaranteed any hours at all. You could have 4, 24, 0. Then after years and years you can become one of the elite minimum-wage-making full-time employees that are becoming more and more rare. To become management you have to be full-time for even longer. When an order comes in for you when you're a manager don't expect to get the things you really need. If the warehouse has 100 stores and only 100 cases you will either be getting 1 or 0 cases. You needed 10 because it's on sale? Oh well... Maybe next time (or more likely, probably NOT next time either.)

Have an education? Metro doesn't really care so good luck working your way up from the bottom with your B.A.!

Best part of the job: When you go on your un-paid 30 minute lunch and buy your full-priced food.

Worst part of the job: Everything else.
Vast retail and customer service experience gained while attending post secondary education
Produce clerk & Customer service (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONJune 1, 2013
Throughout my school career, I worked part time as a produce clerk at the local Metro which is very close to my home. Throughout the 7 years of employment at this location, I have learned a great deal about the retail business environment which compliments the knowledge I have gained in my business studies at both Conestoga College and Ryerson University. A sound understanding of merchandising, customer service, efficiency and various other business/marketing concepts have been grasped during this time and will be used in future career endeavors.

During the summers I work approximately 30 hours/week and have top seniority in my department. I am greatly trusted my my department head and top managers alike to perform tasks such as:

• Filling necessary product
• Dealing with customer requests/inquiries
• Organizing cooler/stock
• Receiving orders
• Supervising new employees
• Creating work schedules
Very Productive
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: bonus air miles
Cons: very busy days
The store has six departments and they all have their own tasks and responsibilities which makes for an easier and organized work setting. Weekdays can be very quiet until around 3pm. Weekends can be extremely busy. The metro that I currently work at is one of the model stores so we constantly get visits from department specialist or even higher management ex CEO/President. The staff in all the six department are great, everyone is very social and easy to work with. The hardest part of work is not having enough staff to work at times due to the amount of hours given in the department, so your're often doing a lot of extra work responsibilities but that's were communication and having great co workers can help make things much easier to handle during those busy work days. I learn how to be a lot more time organized and efficient since working at metro. Its a good place to first start working because you pick up many different work skills that can help you in almost any career/job.
Nightcrew was fun
Nightcrew (Former Employee), Orleans, ONJuly 13, 2012
I learned alot on how it is to work nights. A typical day at work was to unload every skid one at a time, spread them in the aisle for about and hour to two. Then everybody that was working would go in there own aisles and work there product on the shelves and face the store. My co-workers were fun, active, hard workers and good listeners. The management at Metro Convent Glen were the worst of all stores i've ever worked at. They did not respect there employees, they thought they could have what ever day off they wanted but if a employee would ask for one it would be the end of the world for them. Employees are treated like slaves in that store and im pretty sure in all other Metros to. The hardest part of that job was in the mornings when management would come in and start complaining that the store was not done, they thought we were robots but some nights it was 2-3 nightcrew staff when we needed 4-5. The most enjoyable part of that work were my coworkers they were fun we had fun while working hard.
Productive workplace with a variety of ages in the working staff; lots of experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 26, 2014
Pros: double airmiles
Cons: short breaks
- A typical day at work as a cashier included beginning one's shift with the cleaning and organization of their workspace, dealing with costumers and using the cashier register, putting back items when costumers decided they did not want them any longer, and cleaning up workspace before punching out

-I learned how to use a cashier register effectively and how the grocery department works

-The managers were helpful when it came to the work, but were not so understanding about personal issues happening because of school and family matters

-Co-workers were really helpful and friendly, they always made sure one knew they were not alone

-Hardest part of the job was keeping the costumers calm whenever there were long lines

-Most enjoyable part of the job was the conversations one was able to have with the costumers
Organized and secure place where money and customers are taken care of
Cashier/ Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONOctober 16, 2013
Pros: consistent hours
Cons: understaffed
Working at Metro grocery store as a customer service representative involves directing cashiers to their jobs, counting trays, organizing and putting away lotto tickets, taking care of refunds, servicing western unions. I learned how to be in charge and all the financial the organization that came with running a grocery store. My management was very effective and approachable which made for a smoothly running workplace. The hardest part of my job is telling people to do better or approach people that are being very disrespectful, I have learned the skills to portray my message across effectively and with charge. My most enjoyable part of my job is working with great co-workers and regular customers. I so much enjoy being with people and helping them in any way possible.
Productive and fast paced work place
Customer Service (Current Employee), Belleville, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: paid breaks
Cons: not enough hours
My responsibilities when working in metro deli are:
-Clean & sanitize ALL slicers
-Wrap all meats & cheese's
-Wash all the dishes and put them where they belong.
-Close the salad bar
- Sweep & mop floors
All while serving & keeping customers happy and satisfied!:)

* I work about 10-15 hours a week, and usually only from 5-10.

At metro we are very organized, everyone does there own assigned job in the department they are trained in (ex. Sea food, Bakery, Deli). The Deli(my job) consists of three different areas (fresh to go, Barbeque, And then actual 'deli' area) Each department has their own managers, they are the ones that write up new schedules, and keep our departments fully stocked! ..The hardest Part of the job is when you have a lot of customers and it puts you behind in your cleaning, there's nothing worse then trying to make people happy in a messy environment!
Safe and Friendly work environment with many helpful employees
Cashier (Former Employee), Great Lakes BramptonOctober 21, 2013
Pros: short hours, friendly and helpful environment
Cons: no benefits
I consider myself fortunate to have worked at Metro for my first job. My responsibilities were explained thoroughly yet I was encouraged to make mistakes as a part of expanding my experience. I learned to scan grocery items and disperse them in bags preventing damage and spread of germs to the items. I was required to memorize PLU codes for produce items and sale items separately. I was taught to make customers feel safe and welcome, as well as dealing with unpleasant people. I worked with debit, credit and providing change with large amounts of cash. The most enjoyable part of the job was socializing with the customers and making friends with returning ones. I had a great experience at Metro but unfortunately had to leave my job because of health conditions.
Amazing job culture with a terrific staff
Meat department, Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), 404 plaza Newmarket ONFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: long hours
As a an employee at Metro, I can only say good things about it. Everyday was intended to provide the best service for customers, while maintaining an ethical yet uplifting environment within the staff. I learned many things over the course of my employment, one includes to be open upon learning new jobs, because not only is change beneficial, but it makes you a better employee as well. Furthermore, the management and co-workers were awesome. It was simply awesome because we didn't see ourselves as individuals working, but we saw ourselves as a team trying to provide the best for both customers and Metro. Regarding my job, the most difficult part was getting all my tasks done in one shift, however it was also the most enjoyable because it felt like an accomplishment when I completed them all.
Poor management
Meat clerk (Former Employee), OakvilleJune 20, 2015
Pros: Working with the only nice people, which was in the meat room.
Cons: Being scolded for other co-workers mistakes, being scolded for taking a break after working 7 hours straight.
Poor management, and a store full of staff that act like they're in highschool, calling people names, and gossiping about other co-workers.
Also being lied to when I was told that once I learned all the cuts of meat they would make a butcher, but then proceeded acting like they never said that once I went through with learning them all.

And not getting paid, or even a "thank you" for staying almost an hour extra a few times a week to help out in the meat room due to the poor management of Metro.

I want to work somewhere professional.

Working at metro I learned all the cuts of meat and some meat cutting skills from cutting meat at the gourmet counter, and learned more cleaning skills.
Satisfactory workplace that could be better
Deli Department Server (Current Employee), Whitby, ONFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: benefits and flexible with schedules
Cons: people always call in sick and poor management
My work is basically customer service, clean, and go home. This has been the only job I've worked and have been here for four years. I've gained expererience in customer service, sales, working in a fast-paced enviornment, and to be professional at all times.

Most of my coworkers are fun and easy going, but for others they are unrelaible and always call in sick. Management at my workplace can be unfair and the hardest part about my job is covering departments at the same time when somebody decides not to show up. The most enjoyable part about my job is joking around and having fun while working. Having a good time at work while working is what makes a workplace. Not always being serious.
Comfortable pleasant place to work
Floral department manager (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 6, 2014
Pros: hours are flexible benefits are good
Cons: i would like to work more hours but they are not available
Metro is a nice place to work. The staff are friendly and helpful,and we have a lot of regular customers that have been shopping there for years.

A typical day would be serving customers,watering plants,cleaning ,ordering fresh cut flowers., I have learned that I can manage a department and trust my judgement on what I'm ordering.
Management are easy to talk to and will listen to any concerns.
Co-workers are friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job is time.. I wish I had more time to make arrangements for customers to buy.
The most enjoyable part is a satisfied customer, when they walk away happy with their purchase and appreciate the service I have provided.