Metro

Metro Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Busy and keeps you alert
Cash Handeling and Customer Service (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJuly 20, 2015
Pros: a good trait to learn
Cons: very few hours are given
a typical day on cash I find is below steady; unless it is a holiday, then be prepared for a busy busy shift. When you start out you work late hours and the amount of customers dwindles making your work day long because you are constantly watching the clock. Acquiring the trait of cash handling comes in useful as you become better mathematically and learn to think faster when handling change. And an important thing that this job has given me is the ability to release my shyness. When you work on cash you come out of your shell and you'll find it easier to communicate with people, it becomes second nature
friendly fast paced place to work
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONJuly 14, 2015
Enjoyed my years there, only left because not enough hours or pay. Very fast paced friendly atmosphere though. I made slads, fruit platters and baskets etc
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJuly 13, 2015
Pros: No pro's
Cons: I didn't have many hours, management wasn't kind.
At Metro i was a cashier, I scanned and packed people groceries, welcomed and thanked customers for shopping with us. I learnt how to use their new system. Management wasn't very kind to me. My co-workers were very friendly helped me when needed. I didn't find my job hard. I didn't enjoy my job.
productive, flexible hours, great employees
Cashier/ Customer Service (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 6, 2015
Productive working environment
Great Co-workers
poor management
organized

I learned and gained excellent customer service skills, problem solving skills and how to work under pressure.
fun place to work with bad management
Clerk (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 29, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: manager is incompetent
Overall not a bad job but not the greatest either, Management is mediocre but lenient Most of all people are extremely friendly and very easy to work with
Productive workplace
Customer service cashier (Current Employee), Collingwood OnJune 23, 2015
Pros: Double airmiles
Metro is a great place to work, they operate like a big family where everyone et along, i have learned so many skills from working at metro such as, customer service skills, how to proactively problem solve as well as knowing if i had any issues while at work our management team would be there to help.
Poor management
Meat clerk (Former Employee), OakvilleJune 20, 2015
Pros: Working with the only nice people, which was in the meat room.
Cons: Being scolded for other co-workers mistakes, being scolded for taking a break after working 7 hours straight.
Poor management, and a store full of staff that act like they're in highschool, calling people names, and gossiping about other co-workers.
Also being lied to when I was told that once I learned all the cuts of meat they would make a butcher, but then proceeded acting like they never said that once I went through with learning them all.

And not getting paid, or even a "thank you" for staying almost an hour extra a few times a week to help out in the meat room due to the poor management of Metro.

I want to work somewhere professional.

Working at metro I learned all the cuts of meat and some meat cutting skills from cutting meat at the gourmet counter, and learned more cleaning skills.
Fun(funny) workplace
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee), OttawaJune 15, 2015
Pros: Pay is not bad
Cons: Little do they care about employees
It's fun to work for Metro. much is required but little is given back. The Management at the store where I work is great and the co-workers are amazing. Hardest part of the job is that there's never enough people to do the job. Most enjoyable part of it is that the people I work with are fun to be around, pleasant and wonderful
Good and Safe work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), toronto, ontarioJune 14, 2015
Pros: Free food if there are events like christmas party
Cons: short hours, no raise
I worked part time at Metro Inc located at Yonge and Eglinton area. The job is good because I do not only work as a regular cashier but I was also assigned at the service desk where I help the customer with minor complains and returns as well as handling the head cash, doing Western Union Transactions and selling TTC fares like metropasses, tokens and tickets. It was such a great work experience to work at Metro because the management team was great.
Long shifts made it hard to work there as a student
department assistant (Former Employee), OntarioJune 13, 2015
Pros: Met some nice people my age
Cons: long hours, difficult bosses, rude staff
I worked in Metro for 5 months and was given the shifts that no one wanted, often left alone in the department for the whole shift. I worked close to full time and I was a student. I talked to the manager at the department about cutting back on my hours and he pretty much told me to go away. Everyone was scheduled and all the shifts they didn't want were given to me. Employees often called in sick and I would be called in very last minute, if I was unable to take the shift i was often yelled at. If I was sick and called in hours before my shift I was scolded by the managers at the department. I was threatened by one of the co-managers, she told me pretty much that I was in probation period and they could fire me when ever they wanted and smiled after saying that.

The store managers were very nice but the department managers were awful, they clearly had no idea how to run a department and how to handle people. They often talked behind the customers backs about how much of a hassle they were and made rude jokes about religions, races, body shape and type.

I would NOT recommend metro to anyone, they are a place that pull kids in then threaten to fire them before probation ends for whatever they feel like.
Great part-time job
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONJune 10, 2015
Pros: Great staff
Cons: Not enough hours given
This is a great part-time job with only one major problem: The store is under staffed . This is a fairly busy location but there is hardly anyone around. You find yourself daily doing several other peoples jobs and the things you needed to get done are left for another day.
good pace
Cashier (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMay 14, 2015
the hardest part of the job was controlling my morning sickness while pregnant at work with fresh food
i learned new kinds of food and different names for them
not very many work hrs not good if you need to pay rent
Productive Workplace
BC Greeter (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONMay 13, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
Sometimes depending on the day, I enjoy working. I have learned to provide service to customers seeking for help and keeping products and inventories on the shelf. I learned to face up every shift at the end of the night. Management and co-workers are good except for a few of them.
Fun Work Environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONMay 11, 2015
Pros: Extremely good work hour flexibility, and work environment.
Cons: No job security, and no raise after 6 years of hard working.
Everyday at work was enjoyable, it was actually really fun. Everyone I worked with was great, from co-workers to store managers, no one gave each other any hassle. I learned a lot from this job, how to interact with people, and what to expect from an employer, and to not sit around and wait for opportunities, I have to make my own. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with, the environment was friendly and fun, everyone got their respective work done while being able to be social while doing it. The hardest part of my day, would have been the rare tough customers, but even they didn't bother me that much.
A typical day at work
Night Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 8, 2015
Overall it was an unforgettable experience. The people were welcoming and I did enjoy my time spent there. The individuals I worked with were very welcoming and were always willing to help me when I needed it.
Fun place
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2015
It was a fun place to work because you mainly focus on your section of the store. Whereas I worked in the produce department which dealt with fruits and vegetables. It was a decent job and also enjoyable because you also meet different kinds of clients and serve them in good deed when they are in need.
I was very young, i have learned a lot.
Customer service (Former Employee), Saint-Donat, Quebec.April 29, 2015
I have learned so much about quality customer service and going the extra mile to create a positive experience of shopping for every customer.
I have loved working there most of the time love the customers especially the regulars but lately i have felt like I want a change to go elsewhere
Cashier (Current Employee), Timmins, ONApril 28, 2015
Pros: I love working with the customers and co-workers
Cons: problem customers sometimes and other co-workers and poor management
the thing I most enjoy about working there as a cashier is the talking and serving the customers making them happy over the years you get to know all the regulars , and they want to come see me because of my fast friendly service . the hardest part about the job is dealing with problem customers but not many of those .
Cashier (Current Employee), Brampton, ONApril 17, 2015
Pros: Friendly co-workers
Cons: Short shifts
The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with the customers. The hardest part for me on the job is that I can't help people in the isles when I see that they need help to find something, or when I am standing on cash and they need help to find something. I don't like that I can't provide the proper customer service I know customers need. The management is great. I feel confident in asking for assistance when needed and that they are their to support me. Majority of the co-workers are friendly and welcoming and willing to help if you need it. I also enjoy that when i work at night I get to work on the customer service desk, which requires me to multitask and stay busy. I also clean around the cash registers, and face around the front of the cash.
Work at Metro
Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 9, 2015
Pros: Steady workload
Cons: Not enough hours
A typical day at work included customer service, handling money, cleaning and lifting groceries or boxes. As a cashier, I got to interact with people constantly. Helping them with their grocery needs. I learned how to interact with many different variety of people. Sometimes if someone's having a bad day, I would go out of my way to be extra courteous and attentive. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, and the management. There really wasn't a hard part about being a cashier unless I had a double shift and my feet would hurt from standing. The most enjoyable part was working with people, I'm very friendly.

1 2 3 4 5

About Metro

Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) is unique among the nation's transportation agencies. It serves – Read more