Metro Employee Reviews

Ce que j'ai appris
Caissière, service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 November 2017
Au cours des deux dernières années, j'ai appris que ce sont parfois les petits gestes qui font toute la différence. Par exemple, aider un peu plus un client est ce qui rendra son expérience de magasinage meilleure et le convaincra de revenir.
No hours--> Why was i hired?
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 November 2017
The job itslef is light and easy. However the place is over staffed and part timers get 4 hours a week. Seniority is taken seriously and work ethic is ignored, if your the managers buddy you will get hours.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
No hours, manager gives hours based on friendship.
Overall positive culture overwhelms flaws in management
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 November 2017
Though Metro was originally a part time for myself as a high school student, I quickly became invested in its success and proper maintenance. The work day typically included a variety of tasks, such as stocking shelves, cooking various hot food items, and serving customers. The management, although often kind, often did fail to remove personal relationships from workplace conduct. However, being a senior employee during evening hours, I learned to be an effective team leader and how to respond to volatile situations with customers. The culture itself promoted bonding within the department while maintaining diligence in our work. I do firmly believe that the most difficult part of the job was balancing a positive working relationship with middle management while also conforming to the policies of upper management. In addition, students were often relied on to make major decisions and complete complex tasks with little training, even though we made only the student wage per hour. Despite its flaws, Metro embraced a variety of personalities, strived to help its employees grow, and created a good working environment on the whole.
Worked part time as high school student
Deli Attendant (Former Employee) –  Arnprior, ON6 November 2017
Working at metro was very customer service focused and fast paced. It could be stressful at times but was more repetitive than anything. Some of the managers were impatient or passive aggressive in the world place (unprofessional)
Superstore with great customer service and quality products
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 November 2017
A typical day at my previous workplace would include working with cash, handling debit and credit transactions, bagging grocery items for customers, and giving customer service help when needed. As well as learning to work in a fast-paced environment as a cashier, I was also trained in the Floral Department, where I would clean, water and care for the plants and flowers, provide customer's with information about them, as well as wrapping and arranging bouquets. The management at Metro was overall accommodating and professional, but I felt as though regulations and instructions would change often, and employee's were not always informed correctly, causing miscommunication in the workplace. I found the hardest part of my job had to do with the renovations that the Metro has undergone from October 2016 to around May 2017. It was difficult to work during this time due to the change in placement of items ( different aisles, sections moved, etc.), and due to the fact a lot more attentiveness and help was needed for the customers to have a good experience at the store. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the social aspect. There were many regular customers and new customers that I got to help and communicate with during my time at work, and I feel as though the social aspect of any job that involves customer service is important. Socializing with and acknowledging the business customers are providing your store with is a great way to create customer loyalty.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Customers, Multiple services available in store
Cons
Unreliability regarding hours per week, Uninformative
Unfair to employees
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2017
Metro is unfair to employees! They do not follow seniority i've been working there for many years and there are employees below me on the schedule getting more hours than me. i brought this situation to managements attention multiple times but they have yet to do something about this. Metro is all about favouritism the people who need hours don't get them this is not how a company should run!
Easy work that doesn't differ much day to day
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON22 October 2017
This is a customer service based job that requires very little training to do (2 days). Tasks include: Cleaning surfaces and floors, cleaning dishes and equipment, helping customers find the product they're looking for, and preparing pre-made packaged food for the following day. One would need the ability to lift boxes up to 50 lbs and be comfortable in freezing temperatures while organizing the walk-in freezer.
Pros
Paid Weekly
Cons
Early Mornings, Working alone
Gerante et employes cordiaux
Commis charcuterie (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC16 October 2017
Bien organise, considère l'avis des employés. Horaire flexible.
Management unable to meet Unions standards.
Baker (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON16 October 2017
Metro has had a hard time keeping staff over the year I have worked there do to that management has been cutting hours to maybe four hours a week just because they are not a fan of someone or they didn't train someone properly and give them the boot even though technically the new employee hasn't done anything wrong but do what they were shown to do. Metro also has a hard time staying with schedule by changing it last minute then getting angry at the employee who did not know that the schedule was changed in the midst of a work week.

Simply enough Metro management and some but not all senior staff truly are just cruel to new employee's that haven't made the three month testing period.
Pros
Basic 30 min lunch for six hour shifts....
Cons
Unusually cruel management, Lunch breaks are taken off paycheck even though you will not be able to take them, Union stewards that are to close and friendly to management
Very big mall with lots of good places to visit.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sindh15 October 2017
It felt very good to work in a place with people from different countries. It was very fun working in a huge mall. This was the best job out of all three of my jobs. Flexible salary. It was a very clean place and the management was really good. The other workers and staff were very nice and so was the manager.
Pros
Breaks throughout
Cons
Nothing that much
Florist clerk
Florist clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 October 2017
The most enjoyable part of this would be helping during a holiday/special day. The management very friendly and on top of everything, at all times. Amazing people skills!!
Fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 October 2017
Small shifts. Workplace culture was amazing. Only drawback was the amount of hours they allocated per week was pretty less. I wanted to work more for at least 20 hours per week.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short durations
enthousiaste
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC5 October 2017
Metro est une entreprise où l'ambiance de travaille est chaleureuse. Les clients et les collègues sont toujours souriant.
Cashier
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 October 2017
My typical day at work would be ringing in groceries for customers
I learned to speed my rings per minutes.
Management was very accompanying when I decided to return school and get a better education for myself.
Workplace culture were many variations and work very well together. The hardest was pleaseing the customer as they were ending their shopping experiences.
Having customers acknowledged my hard work and being pleased as well.
Pros
Having some times for breaks
Cons
Doing shorts shifts
Emploi qui se repete
Cuisinière (Former Employee) –  Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures, QC3 October 2017
Doit être rapide . Apprend la propreté. Chaud journee est pareille.
Helps me stay youthful
Laborer - Lynx Site Services (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 September 2017
A hard working guy with the aim of pleasing the customers .Again staying in good shape and I always maintain the belief that the customer needs to be pleased and happy with the finished work .
Pros
Set my own hours
Cons
Being on call
Working as a cashier
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON29 September 2017
I come into work, walk over to the punch clock and then make my wa over to the front desk in the store proceeding to grab my bags, stickers, pen, etc. Afterwords I make my way to my assigned register for that shift and begin to sign on.
it is ok
Cashier- Customer Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON26 September 2017
The work environment is not always good, and no matter how much you do for them you do not get any kind of benefit out of it. The work schedule no matter what hours your are scheduled for you will always be asked to work extra shifts.
Cons
not very good hours
Organisation mal foutue
Charcuterie (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 September 2017
Une organisation et une gestion qui laisse à désirer. Du moins, l'endroit où j'ai travaillé laissait à désirer. Je ne conseille pas le métro au coin de Bombardier et des Galeries-d'anjou à Montréal.
Worked as a contractor in offshore - onsite model
QA-Lead (Former Employee) –  CA19 September 2017
Worked as a contractor in an offshore - on-site model. Great team. Open to suggestions. Wonderful work ethics. Cool attitude. Very professionally run company