Metro Employee Reviews

great experience
Salad bar clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 May 2017
I enjoyed showing up to work and doing my job, I mostly worked alone. I always had a long list of things to do so time flew by. It kept me occupied and moving around, there is a bit of heavy lifting involved. I would work with the company again.
safe working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 May 2017
lots of friendly staff. the working conditions were good they never made me to anything i wasnt capable of. i worked really hard and they taught me lots of new things.
Workplace was a clean and safe food environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON14 May 2017
Metro was my first job during high school and was a stable source of income while attending high school. I left metro when I first left for college in Ottawa. The job itself was not difficult I would stock and rotate produce items while helping customers with questions.
Pros
I worked with family
Cons
Management would fail to instruct me
Great People
Cashier and Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 May 2017
Every time I go grocery shopping I think of my time at Metro. It is very much a homely environment, it is not as large as other grocery stores so you will see more friendly faces and have conversations with them. Keep in my this was my experience and had little to no problems with customers. Depending on how well you do there is a chance of advancement which was great and probably my preferred time there. I loved it there for the people and the employees.
Pros
Great enviroment to work in.
Cons
Possible issues with customers, but that is normal
Hard but rewarding work
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC8 May 2017
There is always something to do so you never have a moment to relax. The staff is very nice and are good people. Scheduling system can be improved. For my first job it was a great experience.
Aspect Agréable
Caissiere/Charcuterie (Former Employee) –  Anjou5 May 2017
Aspect Agréable: Équipe de département dynamique , Gérante de département à l'écoute, Ambiance agréable

Aspect Désagréable: Aucune reconnaissance du Directeur et Propriétaire envers le travail de leurs employés , Jugement PERSONNEL et non professionnelle envers leurs employés. Manque de l'argent souvent sur nos payes. Manque de respect envers leurs employés
Pros
Assurance, Syndicat
Cons
Mauvaise organisation, Aucune augmentation après 2 ans
Good workplace with great people
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON4 May 2017
Although the work isn't very enjoyable, the people in the deli make it a great place to work. It is an alright place to work if one enjoys handling food and constantly cleaning.
Pros
weekly availability
Cons
lots of annoying cleaning
Nice people, hard on the body
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 May 2017
I've been here for about 6 months and I can say that standing in one place for 6+ hours a day really messes up your back. Majority of my coworkers are awesome people whom are super easy to get along with.
Pros
Big holidays off
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Environnement de travail productif
Commis de fruits et légumes (Former Employee) –  Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon, QC30 April 2017
C'est une bonne équipe et les patrons sont sensible aux demandes des employés
Mediocre.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON28 April 2017
Metro was an overall "okay" first job. The work was simple and the hours were sparse. It was not an overly tasking job. The staff and customers were overall agreeable but there was an overall feeling of gloom in the store.
Pros
Simple Work
Cons
Gloomy environment

Want to know more about Metro?

Ask a question
Good job for busy students/ part timers
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON25 April 2017
metro is a great job for people with other things going on. for the most part their schedule is very flexible to you and getting time off isn't too hard. job is fairly standard and coworkers for the most part are great.
Pros
good union, good work
Cons
sometimes lacking in hours
high school part time job
Cashier, Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2017
It was a pleasure to work and help people. I love helping customers it made my day and brighten their day. It was a part time job after high school and the staff i worked were amazing.
A good place to work however, management needs improvement.
cashier and customer services clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 April 2017
At metro I was trained as a cashier and customer service clerk. I was in charge of keeping my till organized at all times and providing customers with the best service possible. However, I left because management was not very kind and they needed to improve how they ran the store.
Not enjoyable
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON25 April 2017
Worked when I moved to a new town. Not a particularly friendly environment and not particularly easy to get anyone to work with you to show you the ropes.
Pros
Standard breaks
Cons
Unfriendly environment, minimum wage
ok for a part time job
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 April 2017
Metro is a good starter job for those who are looking to gain a little work experience while they are in school. They are fairly accomodating with scheduling you.
Average part time job, not rewarding long term work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 April 2017
Working in the grocery department for metro was no different than your typical retail experience. Hours however were scarce and due to hierarchy among the older workers this was an insurmountable obstacle. Not rewarding in the long term.
Metro
bakery (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 April 2017
As I was only employed at Metro for a short period of time it provided me with baking skills. The co-workers were not very friendly and the job wasnt suitable for me!
A great store with an even greater cast of co-workers.
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 April 2017
I haven't been hear for at least half a year yet but I can tell you the co-workers your surrounded with are the absolute greatest. In the beginning they are your mentors and by the time you gain some form of comfort ability they're your friends.
Pros
Discounts
pretty average place to work all around
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 April 2017
i wouldn't say metro is a bad place to work it was just my particular location had a lot of rude customers, and also just the structure of the schedules weren't thoroughly planned out before posted
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
no discounts
good job seasonal
Road building (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 March 2017
seasonal road building, calgary area traveled to towns around calgary area working on road building crew stayed in hotels offten live out and travel paid.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro. Our community is ready to answer.