Metro Employee Reviews

Great place to work. Like a big family
Assistant Service Manager (Current Employee) –  2515 Bank st ottawa Ontario21 October 2016
I've been there for 18 years. Fellow employees are like family. That includes management. We like to have fun while we work. Creates a great environment to want to work harder and be your best
Pros
Regular customers. Great coworkers
Cons
No more room for advancement in salary
Great team atmosphere
Communications (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2016
- 9 to 5 work-life balance is not unattainable
- Learned a great deal about project management, marketing, presenting plans to the c-suite
- Management is supportive and encouraging
- Co-workers worked cohesively
- Hardest part was the low salary/lack of benefits or perks
- Most enjoyable part was the team atmosphere and corporate culture
Pros
Wednesday BBQ lunches in the summer, really cheap cafeteria, supportive management, ability to move up
Cons
Low salary, lack of benefits or perks
Metro food basics is good but they need to show more care to their employee..
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  North York, ON22 September 2016
This company needs to be more concern to their hardworking people instead of focusing everything about themselves as a company..they need to realize that behind the success they have are the harworking employees..employees doesnt have sick days too...
Pros
Unionize
Cons
No compensation at all
Benefits
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 March 2016
I appreciate haing benefits at Metro. I know some time has to put in to use them, but I'm grateful for the variety of benefits they provide.
Some of the plans, I know they have available are:
dental, optical, drug plan, orthodic, double air miles.
I have been with the company for many years and I appreciate the shift premium on weeknights and weekends.
I have had the privilege of working in a variety of departments and have enjoyed the cross training experience, to better help the customers.
Benefits
Cons
Hard to move up
Busy and fast paced but a fun enviornent to work in.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON12 November 2016
A typical day at work was very busy, especially in the evenings and weekends. As a bakery clerk, I learned how to keep track of inventory and manage my time efficiently. I also developed customer service skills and learned how to manage a tricky situation with an unhappy customer. In my opinion, management was very friendly and knew what they were doing. Although some co-workers might disagree. The hardest part of the job was the amount of work we were required to complete in a short period of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendly environment and co-workers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short shifts and very few hours a week.
fun place to work in
front cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
good atmosphere and team work
close to home
great management
good hours
the hardest part of the job is learning the codes
dealing with costumers
Pros
double air miles
Cons
Unfriendly and dark environment.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON23 June 2016
I enjoyed working for Metro at the beginning, when I first started graveyards. However towards the end of my short tenure there I started to realise that I was unable to balance a healthy and happy lifestyle working at the location that I was at the hours that I was.
the people I worked with were racist, homophobic and just more or less rude and did a very poor job at training me.

I was constantly made fun of, criticised and often was told by my coworkers that my quality of work was worth firing me over for (like they had the authority to say) I was contemplating quitting for about a month before I finally did so.

Working for metro at night, was depressing, often sloppy and there was no management whatsoever, the hardest part of the job was being made to do most of the more difficult work when I first started, such as pushing carts through slush and snow (which wasn't even in my job description) and moving pallets I almost couldn't move.

I quickly started to hate the job I thought would be right for me because of my coworkers. I should also mention that the SPECIFIC coworkers I disliked working with and I felt was also targeted by had experience at that same store of 2+ years.
Pros
Bonus Night Pay
Cons
Long Hours, Poor morale.
great
cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 April 2016
great place to work I would highly recommend this place as a employment venture they have benefits and competitive hours
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Terrible for longtime work and steady hours
Butcher/Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON5 December 2016
do not go here if your looking for a solid position or longer hours, shifts normally don't exceed 5 hours and you may only get 2-3 days a week in positions such as deli. Management is terrible, expect to be treated rudely and unforgiving for any circumstance. Unhealthy cleaning habits will leave you feeling sick and not really caring that they don't even give a discount to employees. You deserve better don't work here.
Pros
Nice coworkers most of the time
Cons
Ridiculous hours, Minimum wage.
Associates were great to work with. Corporate heirarchy distant
Cashier and Cut Fruit Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON30 August 2016
Typical Retail setting. Union shop . Little if any opportunity for advancement. High turnover. Only a few full time employees.
Good with equipment and supplies. Took safety seriously.
Store Management approachable and helpful.
Metro is a fast paced job and it's never boring.
Metro Employee (Cut Fruit) (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 July 2016
My position in metro was very fast paced and was never a boring. I'd always have something to do. I'd either be cutting some fruit, putting fruit in trays, or stacking them on shelves. I learned how to work a small room with lots of people. My time working there was nice. The management, were nice and welcoming people. My co-workers were just as welcoming always making conversation. The hardest part of my job was definitely working in such a small room with a lot of people. The enjoyable part was always having someone to talk to.
Pros
Long lunch hours (depending how many i'm working)
Cons
small room
great job
Employee (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 August 2016
it gets busy from time to time so you have to go quickly so the customers don't get frustrated. what I learned is that you have to do everything correctly and have great time management
Pros
time goes by when it gets busy
Cons
Unfair workplace with difficult staff
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 September 2016
A typical day would be putting produce up on the shelf and helping customers to improve their grocery shopping experience with our company. Ive learned how to deal with all sorts of customers, and co-workers. Im able to manage my time and prioritize my work. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with disrespectful co-workers that only look out for themselves and don't work together as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping a customer and making a difference in their shopping experience with our company.
Pros
Take breaks at your own discretion
Cons
Unfair Treatment
u could work around your schedule with your kiids
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hyway 103 November 2016
It is a fun place to work some days it can be hard expecially when some one call offf it left u hanging !!!! I work with some good co- workers we work together hello each other get the job done and I'm very easy to work with .some time management doesn't not listen to what u say but u just do your job .
Pros
Not enough hrs
Cons
Wedges should be more
Productive work place
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON24 April 2016
Usually busy on weekends.

Overall, a good place to work for minimum wage

Management treatment was first class

Easy to make friends with co worker and its easy to get along with everyone
Pros
Free lunches
Active and Enjoyable Environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2016
My coworkers and managers that I've dealt with at the Metro pharmacy were remarkable and the main reason why I enjoyed working there. The patients in the area were also very respectful and understanding which made the job easier. The company is always thinking and trying out new business approaches and techniques to further their success. I find this very admirable and shows that the company is still evolving and willing to take initiative in their field. The hardest part was dealing with malfunctions that occurred during store renovations. Other than that, it's hard to remember a single bad day at work.
Pros
Best Pharmacy Manager/Boss, close to home
No benefits
Fresh2Go Pizza Maker (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON31 January 2016
Hello,

I've been working at Metro for 6 months and theres no benefits/discounts. I wish we could get at least a certain percentage off, but, we don't even get a $1.46 coffee for free.
Pros
Fun making pizzas
Cons
Lots of standing
Not productive- High school all over again
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2015
Every department has a lot of drama between staff members. Other than that, Great training and coaching, very boring work environment, You don't do much during a shift. Not challenging at all. The fact your in a union is amazing because the job security is perfect for anyone looking to have a long term job. Benefits are nearly impossible to get if you're working part time.
Organized and a wonderful place to work.
Courtesy Clerk, Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Belleville, Ontario27 July 2016
A typical day at work would go by very well, the management always checks up on me, making sure everything is alright, everything is accounted for and that I am able to complete my tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is taking my break and talking to my wonderful co-workers about their metro experience.
Simple workplace with basic tasks to accomplish.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barry's Bay, ON10 August 2016
My overall thoughts of working at Metro was that it is a very family friendly store with great employees to assist the customers with every need. In my experience, and of what I had witnessed, customers with inquiries would walk away from an employee satisfied with the answer that they had received. The owners were lovely yo have around, they were able to teach the new employees with a smile, and were very patient. I personally thought that Metro is a lovely workplace.