Metro Employee Reviews in Canada

Great team atmosphere
Communications (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 20, 2016
- 9 to 5 work-life balance is not unattainable
- Learned a great deal about project management, marketing, presenting plans to the c-suite
- Management is supportive and encouraging
- Co-workers worked cohesively
- Hardest part was the low salary/lack of benefits or perks
- Most enjoyable part was the team atmosphere and corporate culture
Pros
Wednesday BBQ lunches in the summer, really cheap cafeteria, supportive management, ability to move up
Cons
Low salary, lack of benefits or perks
Productive, challenging, and cooperative environment
Deli and Hot Food Attendant (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 14, 2016
Work was fast-paced, had a lot to do and did not spend time idle. I learned about the different types of produce in their department and types of preparation for the food in their department. Manager was challenging but firm, co-workers were very focused and gave top-quality service to all customers. The hardest part of the job was timing orders on prepared meals and dealing with multiple customers. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was helping customers understand the different kinds of meats, cheeses, and other produce that they can use in conjunction with each other.
Pros
Inviting environment, food tasting, good relationship building with customers
Cons
Demanding, stressful.
Friendly customers and co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 20, 2016
Working as a cashier, and a deli server at Metro was a great learning experience because it was set in a very friendly environment. The most enjoyable part about this job was being able to interact with the customers and work together with other employees to make our work ethic stronger. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with difficult customers, but this taught me how to be patient, and improve my communication skills.
Aweful, inconsiderate.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONApril 10, 2016
Metro was not a good place to work, the environment was cruel, along with the management that was very rude. I was not respected there and I wanted to be. The training was very hard and the trainer would leave me alone on my first day and I would not know what to do making customers angry. The trainer would then say it was my fault making me feel worse and they would accuse me for not doing my job on the first day of ever working as a cashier. It was not a very pleasant place to work and I will never be going back to any Metro for a job or grocery shopping.
Pros
Cons
Environment, lonely, rude management. inconsiderate workers.
Hectic with pizza buns
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 13, 2016
It is a good job that builds character but after a while it just builds unnecessary stress.

The management is kind and not rude but they are not too fair with scheduling hours.

Co-workers are very nice and respectful to you, management, and customers. They always have your back if you are too sick to come in to work.

Balancing between attending to customers and also getting all work done before closing time can be extremely difficult at often times and taking breaks become optional.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able advise customers what the best deals and cake flavours are. And probably writing on cakes.

At least you can get a pizza bun for a few quarters.
Pros
A few friends in the workplace
Cons
Expects too much from you in a little amount of time
A feeling of satisfaction
grocery merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONMarch 24, 2016
My Typical day would consist of; Making sure all specials are filled for customers
refilling,stocking,rotating product
Some days are fort me to do all the ordering in certain department for the store
Most days I'm giving direction to staff to prioritize the days work by importance
Other days i'm in charge of the staff to set up flyer launches, for up coming specials
as well as deciding what product gets set up where in the store
Pros
feeling of accomplishment
Cons
hard work, could get monotonous
Fun work place environment,Great starter job.
Cut Fruit/ Produce clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 20, 2016
A typical work day is usually quite pleasant and enjoyable, busy but enjoyable. I've learned to be a hard worker and to work as a team.The management team does their best to keep everyone happy and motivated to get the job done. I have great co-workers, we all get along extremely well and work very well together. The hardest part of the job is keeping up the pace to complete our daily goals we set upon ourselves. I enjoy the people I work with the most because we all get along so well it makes the work day go by quickly.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Not enough hours
Benefits
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 16, 2016
I appreciate haing benefits at Metro. I know some time has to put in to use them, but I'm grateful for the variety of benefits they provide.
Some of the plans, I know they have available are:
dental, optical, drug plan, orthodic, double air miles.
I have been with the company for many years and I appreciate the shift premium on weeknights and weekends.
I have had the privilege of working in a variety of departments and have enjoyed the cross training experience, to better help the customers.
Benefits
Cons
Hard to move up
Productive and enjoyable.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 23, 2016
I did overnight shifts most of the time so it was at a more slower pace than it usually is during the day. During the overnight shifts, I was the only cashier, so I also had to handle some customer service tasks as well.
There often was not a lot of customers, so to keep busy, I usually went to find things to do on my own, whether it was cleaning, refilling, or asking if any of the others needed help of any sorts.
Everyone was quite easy to talk to and get along with. They definitely made it more enjoyable.
Hard Working Atmosphere
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2016
Metro is a company where you come to work hard and put in effort to build a better life for yourself. This company helped me by pushing me to further my experiences in different fields such as cake decorating and baking. Although I have been doing this for a short period of time the training they gave me was a big push and helped me work to learning the skills faster.
Friendly consumer based environment with patient staff members
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2016
Working at Metro Grocery was truly an amazing experience. Being located in the Bakery Department, I learned how bake everything from bread to cookies to cakes. Working in the morning and afternoon was primarily focused on food preparation and customer service, while the evening shifts were all about the organization and preparation of the bakery department for the following day. My co-workers were friendly and patient, and my manager was very impressed by my ability to be able to work on very short notice. The most enjoyable part of being a Bakery Clerk was being able to successfully attend to the customers needs, while the most challenging was learning how to make the baked goods. Overall, Metro provided me with a valuable and unforgettable experience.
Pros
Manager was lenient on vacation days
Cons
Did not receive very many hours
Nice place to work
Meat Department/Courtesy (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 28, 2016
Metro is a fun place to work; management and co-workers are great. Dealing with the public/customers is something that not only am I good at but I thoroughly enjoy.
Unfortunately they can't provide me with more hours while I am saving for school. So I find myself looking for full-time or supplemental employment.
Great work environment, People are very welcoming.
Cashier/ Fresh 2 Go (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONApril 3, 2016
I thought it was a good work environment ,but one of the managers was not open to any opinion what so ever. When a complaint was received , I was not given the chance too voice my opinion. Only listened to the customers opinion , not employee.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Not understanding management
Awful workplace
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 28, 2016
Staff all fight with each other. Management is very poor, and unorganized. Scheduling is mediocre at best, except you're always expected to be at their beckon call. Full time employees mistreat a large majority of part time employees, and the store has a very poor culture.
Cons
Bad hours, Bad management, bad place of employment
Comfortable and Calming enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Derry and 10th LineJune 4, 2016
Working at metro was a good time for me the entire time I was there, it's when I started working there that I realized I'm naturally good at customer service and I love interacting with fellow people and co-workers.
Pros
5 hour shifts
Cons
Standing in one spot / sometimes bored / not enough tasks
Fast passed job
Night clerk (Former Employee) –  Lindsay ontJanuary 19, 2016
Every night was the same I would go in from 11pm-730am and I would take all the stock that came in on skids off the skids and put them onto flat carts separated by aisle. Then we would put everything away. You didn't stop moving all night and it was really hard on your body. However it was a pretty good workout and I enjoyed the job. My coworkers were pretty awesome guys, very laid back older gentlemen who kept to themselves. The nights were always pretty quite.
Pros
Midnights
Cons
Midnights
Acceptable for Highschool,
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 25, 2016
This job served its purposes in high school, and I enjoyed the ability to learn how to balance a till, work a credit/debit machine, and refine my skills in communicating with the public. It also offered bonuses and had a decent work environment. Never had an issue with management.
Pros
Christmas bonuses
Cons
Low pay
Productive Workplace
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Great Employees, Outstanding services, Really Well Organized, Fun and Care free, I learned how to handle food and better customer service skills. The hardest part was standing for long periods of time, and the most enjoyable moment is when the customers come in with a smile and leave with a smile.
Pros
Good walking distance
Cons
No Cons
metro is great for newbies
service cleark (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 5, 2016
metro is a really good place for anyone who is new to the work force.

there alot of pros to working at metro there is a union, drug cards to help make prescriptions cheaper, dental and more

all in all i had a great experience working for metro
Pros
yearly staff appreciation day
Cons
no discounts
Productive and fun work place...we were family
Customer Service, Cashier, Deli, Cash Office (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 6, 2016
I looked forward to going into work. It was a social, fun place to work. We always got our work done and took care of our customers.
A HAPPY customer is a returning customer.
The management was awesome and good team players.
We all got along well with one another and were like family.
Pros
A very comfortable atmosphere to work.
Cons
Very hard to advance forward.