Metro Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Productive work place
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONApril 24, 2016
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: long hours
Usually busy on weekends.

Overall, a good place to work for minimum wage

Management treatment was first class

Easy to make friends with co worker and its easy to get along with everyone
Friendly consumer based environment with patient staff members
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2016
Pros: Manager was lenient on vacation days
Cons: Did not receive very many hours
Working at Metro Grocery was truly an amazing experience. Being located in the Bakery Department, I learned how bake everything from bread to cookies to cakes. Working in the morning and afternoon was primarily focused on food preparation and customer service, while the evening shifts were all about the organization and preparation of the bakery department for the following day. My co-workers were friendly and patient, and my manager was very impressed by my ability to be able to work on very short notice. The most enjoyable part of being a Bakery Clerk was being able to successfully attend to the customers needs, while the most challenging was learning how to make the baked goods. Overall, Metro provided me with a valuable and unforgettable experience.
Friendly customers and co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee), London, ONApril 20, 2016
Working as a cashier, and a deli server at Metro was a great learning experience because it was set in a very friendly environment. The most enjoyable part about this job was being able to interact with the customers and work together with other employees to make our work ethic stronger. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with difficult customers, but this taught me how to be patient, and improve my communication skills.
boring job good pay
Deli Worker (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: working with customers
Cons: rude co-workers and non flexible hours
it was a boring job same thing every shift. didn't teach me anything. a lot of the co-workers were a bit rude but some were really friendly.
Cashier - The best part about this job is interacting with different customers :)
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), 6677 Meadowvale Town CentreApril 18, 2016
It is a good working environment, and the management ensure customers needs are addressed and met. The most enjoyable part about the job is interacting and conversing with customers.
Hectic with pizza buns
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONApril 13, 2016
Pros: A few friends in the workplace
Cons: Expects too much from you in a little amount of time
It is a good job that builds character but after a while it just builds unnecessary stress.

The management is kind and not rude but they are not too fair with scheduling hours.

Co-workers are very nice and respectful to you, management, and customers. They always have your back if you are too sick to come in to work.

Balancing between attending to customers and also getting all work done before closing time can be extremely difficult at often times and taking breaks become optional.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able advise customers what the best deals and cake flavours are. And probably writing on cakes.

At least you can get a pizza bun for a few quarters.
Aweful, inconsiderate.
Cashier (Former Employee), Orleans, ONApril 10, 2016
Pros: none
Cons: Environment, lonely, rude management. inconsiderate workers.
Metro was not a good place to work, the environment was cruel, along with the management that was very rude. I was not respected there and I wanted to be. The training was very hard and the trainer would leave me alone on my first day and I would not know what to do making customers angry. The trainer would then say it was my fault making me feel worse and they would accuse me for not doing my job on the first day of ever working as a cashier. It was not a very pleasant place to work and I will never be going back to any Metro for a job or grocery shopping.
friendly
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Orangeville, ONApril 9, 2016
So far, (I have been there 2 months), it has been fine, everybody is helpful and friendly. Customers seem to have a special and unique relationship with the cashiers.
great
cashier (Former Employee), Kingston, ONApril 6, 2016
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
great place to work I would highly recommend this place as a employment venture they have benefits and competitive hours
Great work environment, People are very welcoming.
Cashier/ Fresh 2 Go (Former Employee), Belleville, ONApril 3, 2016
Pros: Great hours
Cons: Not understanding management
I thought it was a good work environment ,but one of the managers was not open to any opinion what so ever. When a complaint was received , I was not given the chance too voice my opinion. Only listened to the customers opinion , not employee.
very friendly place
Cashier (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 31, 2016
the co-workers are very nice, i enjoyed working there, the management is okay, i believe that's they policies at metro but i don't really approve. The hardest part of the job is fact that you standing on your feet and scanning the grocery.
Awful workplace
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 28, 2016
Cons: Bad hours, Bad management, bad place of employment
Staff all fight with each other. Management is very poor, and unorganized. Scheduling is mediocre at best, except you're always expected to be at their beckon call. Full time employees mistreat a large majority of part time employees, and the store has a very poor culture.
Nice place to work
Meat Department/Courtesy (Current Employee), Whitby, ONMarch 28, 2016
Metro is a fun place to work; management and co-workers are great. Dealing with the public/customers is something that not only am I good at but I thoroughly enjoy.
Unfortunately they can't provide me with more hours while I am saving for school. So I find myself looking for full-time or supplemental employment.
A feeling of satisfaction
grocery merchandiser (Current Employee), Milton, ONMarch 24, 2016
Pros: feeling of accomplishment
Cons: hard work, could get monotonous
My Typical day would consist of; Making sure all specials are filled for customers
refilling,stocking,rotating product
Some days are fort me to do all the ordering in certain department for the store
Most days I'm giving direction to staff to prioritize the days work by importance
Other days i'm in charge of the staff to set up flyer launches, for up coming specials
as well as deciding what product gets set up where in the store
Fun work place environment,Great starter job.
Cut Fruit/ Produce clerk (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 20, 2016
Pros: Great work enviroment
Cons: Not enough hours
A typical work day is usually quite pleasant and enjoyable, busy but enjoyable. I've learned to be a hard worker and to work as a team.The management team does their best to keep everyone happy and motivated to get the job done. I have great co-workers, we all get along extremely well and work very well together. The hardest part of the job is keeping up the pace to complete our daily goals we set upon ourselves. I enjoy the people I work with the most because we all get along so well it makes the work day go by quickly.
productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 19, 2016
I have been with A&P/Metro for over 30 years and in that time I have learned a lot. I did invoicing, I am on the health and safety committee in the store. I know how to order product. I am a cashier and now I work in the scanning department. That is where I try to keep the prices and tags on the shelves the same. I work a 24 hour work week and I deal with issues in every department, including what management needs me to do. Customer service is important because without them I would not have a job.
A typical day is very busy. I have to do my job and if it gets busy I have to check out customers. That is the part of the job I do not like as it puts me behind.
The management team I have are great. They listen to what you have to say.
For the most part my coworkers are a good bunch of people to work with. Just like everywhere else you have the people who are lazy.
The hardest part of my job is not having enough time to get my work done.
I love what I do, however I would like more time to do a better job.
Benefits
Clerk (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Hard to move up
I appreciate haing benefits at Metro. I know some time has to put in to use them, but I'm grateful for the variety of benefits they provide.
Some of the plans, I know they have available are:
dental, optical, drug plan, orthodic, double air miles.
I have been with the company for many years and I appreciate the shift premium on weeknights and weekends.
I have had the privilege of working in a variety of departments and have enjoyed the cross training experience, to better help the customers.
Hard Working Atmosphere
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2016
Metro is a company where you come to work hard and put in effort to build a better life for yourself. This company helped me by pushing me to further my experiences in different fields such as cake decorating and baking. Although I have been doing this for a short period of time the training they gave me was a big push and helped me work to learning the skills faster.
metro is great for newbies
service cleark (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 5, 2016
Pros: yearly staff appreciation day
Cons: no discounts
metro is a really good place for anyone who is new to the work force.

there alot of pros to working at metro there is a union, drug cards to help make prescriptions cheaper, dental and more

all in all i had a great experience working for metro
Acceptable for Highschool,
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 25, 2016
Pros: Christmas bonuses
Cons: Low pay
This job served its purposes in high school, and I enjoyed the ability to learn how to balance a till, work a credit/debit machine, and refine my skills in communicating with the public. It also offered bonuses and had a decent work environment. Never had an issue with management.