Metro Employee Reviews

Unfair workplace with difficult staff
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 18, 2016
A typical day would be putting produce up on the shelf and helping customers to improve their grocery shopping experience with our company. Ive learned how to deal with all sorts of customers, and co-workers. Im able to manage my time and prioritize my work. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with disrespectful co-workers that only look out for themselves and don't work together as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping a customer and making a difference in their shopping experience with our company.
Pros
Take breaks at your own discretion
Cons
Unfair Treatment
Associates were great to work with. Corporate heirarchy distant
Cashier and Cut Fruit Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ONAugust 30, 2016
Typical Retail setting. Union shop . Little if any opportunity for advancement. High turnover. Only a few full time employees.
Good with equipment and supplies. Took safety seriously.
Store Management approachable and helpful.
very fun, and flexible jo growing up
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ONAugust 28, 2016
Metro has been a wonderful work experience for me throughout the years. It has helped me to grow in terms of my customer relation skills, problem solving, and critical thinking. Moving forward, due to my seniority within metro I will be able to work my hours at metro around whatever new job I am granted to opportunity to work at.
Metro Review
Produce Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONAugust 27, 2016
Great work employment for high school students looking to challenge their skills as well as balance a job and school life. Most employees typically work through their respective departments to merchandise products. Great co-workers and good training with difficulties arising when there is a lack of employees working a shift.
Pros
Flexible with scheduling
Cons
Random call-ins
loved it
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 20, 2016
I worked shifts I worked in the deli so we had to prepare all the salads for the day and put the orders away cleaned deli counter put the stock out had to cook all the chickens
Simple workplace with basic tasks to accomplish.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barry's Bay, ONAugust 10, 2016
My overall thoughts of working at Metro was that it is a very family friendly store with great employees to assist the customers with every need. In my experience, and of what I had witnessed, customers with inquiries would walk away from an employee satisfied with the answer that they had received. The owners were lovely yo have around, they were able to teach the new employees with a smile, and were very patient. I personally thought that Metro is a lovely workplace.
great job
Employee (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 8, 2016
it gets busy from time to time so you have to go quickly so the customers don't get frustrated. what I learned is that you have to do everything correctly and have great time management
Pros
time goes by when it gets busy
fun and friendly
Grocery Night Manager (Former Employee) –  North York, ONAugust 2, 2016
was a night job that required lots of hard work and dedications, learn to be a team leader and player. Hardest part of the job was that was a night job. most enjoyable is that i work more independent and a friendly helpful co-workers
Pros
friendly
Cons
cuts in hours leads people to quit
Organized and a wonderful place to work.
Courtesy Clerk, Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Belleville, OntarioJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work would go by very well, the management always checks up on me, making sure everything is alright, everything is accounted for and that I am able to complete my tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is taking my break and talking to my wonderful co-workers about their metro experience.
Active and Enjoyable Environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2016
My coworkers and managers that I've dealt with at the Metro pharmacy were remarkable and the main reason why I enjoyed working there. The patients in the area were also very respectful and understanding which made the job easier. The company is always thinking and trying out new business approaches and techniques to further their success. I find this very admirable and shows that the company is still evolving and willing to take initiative in their field. The hardest part was dealing with malfunctions that occurred during store renovations. Other than that, it's hard to remember a single bad day at work.
Pros
Best Pharmacy Manager/Boss, close to home
good place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONJuly 8, 2016
good experience in customer service and retail, dealt with all kinds of people, working on your feet instead of sitting at a desk
Metro is a fast paced job and it's never boring.
Metro Employee (Cut Fruit) (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJuly 8, 2016
My position in metro was very fast paced and was never a boring. I'd always have something to do. I'd either be cutting some fruit, putting fruit in trays, or stacking them on shelves. I learned how to work a small room with lots of people. My time working there was nice. The management, were nice and welcoming people. My co-workers were just as welcoming always making conversation. The hardest part of my job was definitely working in such a small room with a lot of people. The enjoyable part was always having someone to talk to.
Pros
Long lunch hours (depending how many i'm working)
Cons
small room
very productive and demanding
Cake Decorator/baker (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 5, 2016
overall not a bad place to work. learned to be very organized and do best productivity for that day. Top management needs to know more about departments and their needs
Pros
scheduling
Cons
seniority
Unfriendly and dark environment.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONJune 23, 2016
I enjoyed working for Metro at the beginning, when I first started graveyards. However towards the end of my short tenure there I started to realise that I was unable to balance a healthy and happy lifestyle working at the location that I was at the hours that I was.
the people I worked with were racist, homophobic and just more or less rude and did a very poor job at training me.

I was constantly made fun of, criticised and often was told by my coworkers that my quality of work was worth firing me over for (like they had the authority to say) I was contemplating quitting for about a month before I finally did so.

Working for metro at night, was depressing, often sloppy and there was no management whatsoever, the hardest part of the job was being made to do most of the more difficult work when I first started, such as pushing carts through slush and snow (which wasn't even in my job description) and moving pallets I almost couldn't move.

I quickly started to hate the job I thought would be right for me because of my coworkers. I should also mention that the SPECIFIC coworkers I disliked working with and I felt was also targeted by had experience at that same store of 2+ years.
Pros
Bonus Night Pay
Cons
Long Hours, Poor morale.
Great staff
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 15, 2016
everyone who works there is great.

always accommodating

great hours and always a good environment to work in.

always kept busy

never had to stand around and do nothing
Horrible experience
Deli assistant (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ONJune 12, 2016
Fired without proper reasoning still waiting on pay. Was never trained properly and when I confronted the problem they didn't do anything about it and now I am without a job.
Pros
nothing
Cons
being trained to do things I wasnt supposed to do.
okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 11, 2016
It's okay. Nothing special, the head cashier is super scary and intimidating
Most of the reviews here are from people who are new or entry level, so they are probably looking at everything with "rose-colored glasses".
Cons
no discount, no free thing, just work or go home
Comfortable and Calming enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Derry and 10th LineJune 4, 2016
Working at metro was a good time for me the entire time I was there, it's when I started working there that I realized I'm naturally good at customer service and I love interacting with fellow people and co-workers.
Pros
5 hour shifts
Cons
Standing in one spot / sometimes bored / not enough tasks
Metro
DELI CLERK (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 1, 2016
It was an okay work environment. Management definitely made sure you understood who was in charge, I didn't get much of a connection with my boss and some of my co-workers.
Metro
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 21, 2016
Provided customer service and sales service. helped set up and take down deli counter. Good part time job, and a good place to start working.