Metro Employee Reviews

Great first job
WHMIS, baler equipment, and hand jack (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 January 2018
This is a great first job for any high school student. I was here for nearly four years and thoroughly enjoyed it. The only thing i had a hard time was with management due to incidents over the years
worst union ever
Cashier, Meat/Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON15 January 2018
this was the worst place i worked. the union capped part time employyes hours to 24 a week and even if the help was need they werent allowed to add an employee if the were to go over the 24 hour cap which made no sense
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON15 January 2018
Productive and a fun place to work for. Allows you to grow within the company and move up in departments. The company is understand and willing to work around other schedules if needed. Management makes you feel comfortable to come to them with any complaints.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
no security
Productive work environment, friendly coworkers.
Cashier, Stocking (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 January 2018
The people at metro were friendly and open to helping me learn, besides the night shifts It was an okay working experience.

I would rate Metro 3 out of 6 stars
Raymond Reach
Raymond Reach Operator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 January 2018
I worked full time on raymond reach and counter balance. I didnt have any problems at this location. i enjoyed working at this location and i didnt take a day off.
Fast Pace Traditional Grocery Store
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton4 January 2018
My experience here was just “Alright.” Good for job experience & tasks were manageable. Although some employee’s are very shady & avoid confrontation when there is an issue at hand.
Pros
Being Employed
Cons
Shady, Untrustworthy Staff
ok place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON1 January 2018
was in high school at time, hours were ok, a lot of items would not scan properly, when you ask for price checks no one comes. a lot of favouritism. cashier hours are long, a lot of people call in mostly the students
Pros
ok work hours
Cons
A lot of items would not scan, customer are rude
organisation tres douteuse et le respet des employer absent
Boulanger charcutier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 December 2017
aucun point positif a donner sur l'employeur et son organisation
Awful management
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 December 2017
Management was rude and disrespectful and every demanding for a customer service job. Lack of communication with management and employees and will not give you the hours you ask for.
Pros
lunch break
Cons
rude management, lack of communication and respect
Productif et agreable
Commis fruits et légumes (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 December 2017
Une journée de travail au metro, c'est comme une journée de congé, serieusement quand ont s'habitue au climat labas ca devient vraiment plaisant d'aller travailler! C'etait difficile au debut m'adapter mais je m'y suis fais. J'ai appris a travailler en equipe!
Pros
Horraires de travails avantageux
Cons
Courtes pause
Great work experience, everyone is super friendly
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Greenbank, ON29 November 2017
Amazing people to work with, felt comfortable right away. Very flexible hours. Good benefits. Usual lunch and dinner rushes. Sometimes feel unappreciated.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Lunch rushes
metro taught me alot of customer service and responsibility well i fisnished each task.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON23 November 2017
The environment metro gives off is a warm friendly vibe, everyone is exceptional at customer service and the employees all make it feel like a team work space, where everyone can help.
Pros
open 24 hours a day
Cons
lots of stealing due to lack of security
Ce que j'ai appris
Caissière, service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 November 2017
Au cours des deux dernières années, j'ai appris que ce sont parfois les petits gestes qui font toute la différence. Par exemple, aider un peu plus un client est ce qui rendra son expérience de magasinage meilleure et le convaincra de revenir.
a good starting job for kids in school
Baker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 November 2017
i learned a lot since i started but it is not a position i would like to keep my whole life. i would like to branch out into store work at a mall of any sort and/or like to start off in a restaurant again as a server/host.
No hours--> Why was i hired?
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 November 2017
The job itslef is light and easy. However the place is over staffed and part timers get 4 hours a week. Seniority is taken seriously and work ethic is ignored, if your the managers buddy you will get hours.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
No hours, manager gives hours based on friendship.
Overall positive culture overwhelms flaws in management
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 November 2017
Though Metro was originally a part time for myself as a high school student, I quickly became invested in its success and proper maintenance. The work day typically included a variety of tasks, such as stocking shelves, cooking various hot food items, and serving customers. The management, although often kind, often did fail to remove personal relationships from workplace conduct. However, being a senior employee during evening hours, I learned to be an effective team leader and how to respond to volatile situations with customers. The culture itself promoted bonding within the department while maintaining diligence in our work. I do firmly believe that the most difficult part of the job was balancing a positive working relationship with middle management while also conforming to the policies of upper management. In addition, students were often relied on to make major decisions and complete complex tasks with little training, even though we made only the student wage per hour. Despite its flaws, Metro embraced a variety of personalities, strived to help its employees grow, and created a good working environment on the whole.
Worked part time as high school student
Deli Attendant (Former Employee) –  Arnprior, ON6 November 2017
Working at metro was very customer service focused and fast paced. It could be stressful at times but was more repetitive than anything. Some of the managers were impatient or passive aggressive in the world place (unprofessional)
Superstore with great customer service and quality products
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 November 2017
A typical day at my previous workplace would include working with cash, handling debit and credit transactions, bagging grocery items for customers, and giving customer service help when needed. As well as learning to work in a fast-paced environment as a cashier, I was also trained in the Floral Department, where I would clean, water and care for the plants and flowers, provide customer's with information about them, as well as wrapping and arranging bouquets. The management at Metro was overall accommodating and professional, but I felt as though regulations and instructions would change often, and employee's were not always informed correctly, causing miscommunication in the workplace. I found the hardest part of my job had to do with the renovations that the Metro has undergone from October 2016 to around May 2017. It was difficult to work during this time due to the change in placement of items ( different aisles, sections moved, etc.), and due to the fact a lot more attentiveness and help was needed for the customers to have a good experience at the store. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the social aspect. There were many regular customers and new customers that I got to help and communicate with during my time at work, and I feel as though the social aspect of any job that involves customer service is important. Socializing with and acknowledging the business customers are providing your store with is a great way to create customer loyalty.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Customers, Multiple services available in store
Cons
Unreliability regarding hours per week, Uninformative
Unfair to employees
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2017
Metro is unfair to employees! They do not follow seniority i've been working there for many years and there are employees below me on the schedule getting more hours than me. i brought this situation to managements attention multiple times but they have yet to do something about this. Metro is all about favouritism the people who need hours don't get them this is not how a company should run!
Easy work that doesn't differ much day to day
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON22 October 2017
This is a customer service based job that requires very little training to do (2 days). Tasks include: Cleaning surfaces and floors, cleaning dishes and equipment, helping customers find the product they're looking for, and preparing pre-made packaged food for the following day. One would need the ability to lift boxes up to 50 lbs and be comfortable in freezing temperatures while organizing the walk-in freezer.
Pros
Paid Weekly
Cons
Early Mornings, Working alone