METRO VANCOUVER Employee Reviews

A fantastic vibe
Clerk Stenographer III (Summer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 July 2017
A great workplace with lovely staff. I worked in the Air Quality department as support staff for the summer and everyone was kind. I still go out for lunch and visit with the department whenever I can.
You can make a difference - Fantastic Opportunities
Bylaw Enforcement & Environmental Management (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 February 2016
In doing my job I feel I can make a difference and help make the lower mainland be a better place to live. My duties include both office and field work covering a broad scope of responsibilities. There is no limitation to personal growth and developing career skills. Can there be anything more satisfying?!

While career advancement is limited, one can move laterally within the organization quite a bit. Great work experience that I would otherwise not have the opportunity to gain. There are two unions and an exempt staff group. Moving into jobs between the unions is rare. Moving into an exempt position happens often. I think our HR department is a busy group but are there to support staff no matter what it takes.

Managers, supervisors and co-workers come in a range of competencies and that's no different anywhere else I've worked. It takes effort on both sides to make an effective work environment and the corporation encourages that by providing a range of means to accomplish that. I believe everyone here makes a tremendous effort to get along and support one another, kudos to those three work groups.

The work life balance is fantastic. I would highly recommend giving Metro Vancouver a try. Hope to see you here soon!
Pros
Training, broad range of job opportunities.
Cons
Wages may be falling a bit behind.
Friendly and hard-working office
Project Research Assistant (Co-op/Internship) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 December 2015
Everyone is friendly and treat each other with equal-ness. Quite relaxing as everyone is nice to each other. Can be busy at times.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
N/a
An enjoyeable Job
Disposal ban inspector (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 August 2015
Interaction with public whole day, awareness and education on related duty and bylaw enforcement in case of no compliance. I have learned dealing with public from any and different backgrounds.

Management is wonderful together with co-workers it's like family company.

The hardest part of the job is when people don't want to listen or to comply with the bylaw.

It's fun dealing people, answering their questions and providing needed and necessary information related to the zero waste challenge.
Pros
No supervisor but you plan the duty according the company policy
Cons
standing, walking and talking and interaction with people the whole shif hours.
The work is enjoyable
Watershed Patroller (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 October 2014
Too difficult to land a permanent position with Metro Vancouver.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
as above description
A great place to work, people are friendly
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 May 2014
- Day are full, lots to keep you busy
- Learned about People Soft payroll system
- Management are very friendly and helpful
- Co-workers are very friendly and helpful
- Learning a new payroll system and being able to do my share of the work load at first
-The people are very friendly and the Lunch and learn sessions are very good.
Pros
Lunch and Learn sessions
Cons
Paid parking
Overall a great work place
Program Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver1 May 2014
Friendly work place with tones of great people that strive to make a difference in the area they are passionate about.
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 April 2014
I have learned water chemistry, purification of drinking water, wastewater treatment process, toxicology of different chemicals and writing reports.
Fun work environment with some serious sustainable work done for the region
Peoplesoft Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 January 2013
It makes one feel proud to be able to contribute for the growth of a region.
We had an excellent and hard working team in HR.
Pros
dynamic work environment, a lot of cooperation and understanding
Great place to work with
Clerk Stenographer III, Regional Parks - Present (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 December 2012
Its a great company to work with. I've learned many skills while performing clerical and secretarial duties as a assistant to manager. I gained experienced to work under high pressure as well as attention to detail.