Metro Inc. Employee Reviews

Love my job at Metro
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON26 February 2017
I really love my job at metro. I'm just finishing up my last year of high school. I get minimum wage. It's a very fun exciting job that is always changing. I started about 10 months ago and that put me at the bottom of seniority so I only got about 0-8 hours a week. I'm getting about 8-16 hours now. If someone below me had more hours than me you can easily call and take one of their shifts so you can have more hours. There's always lots to do so you're not always standing around. Most coworkers are nice and actually care about you. New management has made metro look really good.
Pros
Always something to do
Cons
Schedule is very unpredictable
No raise after a year and running my own department
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 February 2017
Was expected to do multiple jobs for minimum wage and was given no incentive to stay at the company after almost 2 years. I was repeatedly called into work on my days off and guilt tripped by store managers to bail them out of a no call no show. I learned to not answer the phone when they called on my days off very within the first few months. The union worked more to your disadvantage and limited you on your hours and how much you could earn more than they would protect your rights as an employee. I was working often 6 days a week 30 hours a week (5 hours shifts) so that I couldn't get full-time benefits and I would never have a weekend off and would only get a 15 minute break daily. Half of the staff suffered from some sort of mental disability or physical handicap or limitation and the union would protect them so you would be often dealing with multiple workloads.
Cons
Productive, stable work place with great work environment and benefits.
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2017
Productive, stable work place with great work environment and benefits. I really enjoy the pharmacy team and our pharmacy is run by an awesome Manager. Overall great place to work.
it was pretty good
Produce/Grocery/Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2017
metro march rd.
it was a fun place to work...some creepy staff but overall a great beginning job for someone looking to acquire and develop skills. Management was not good but not terrible. Many good memories and great co-workers
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Casselman, ON27 September 2016
Cashier was an OK job at the start but then I realize how the management was it was very poor you'd walk in there and it be dark everyone is really cool it's no fun like you at least want to communicate with your coworkers like I want to like talk with anyone socialize I love socializing with people but they just didn't seem to have a atmosphere on doing that so I left and started working at Calypso see waterpark and everything came better
Pros
Cons
15 / 30 minutes
Some locations not for feint of heart
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Current position involves a lot of running around to fix errors to help customers or employees. Management switches every two years, and employees can be a handful sometimes.
Flexable hours
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 July 2016
At first it seems this job is decent. But be careful, the amount of gossip from department heads and management is unbelievable. Harassment is flowing like a river. Never any support from management,even upper management. They cut hours drastically due to "budgets" yet it's all about management getting their bonuses,as they brag about how well business is. While still expected to do the job of 2+ people.
Hours are flexible,if you actually get any. Over all you are not respected,taken advantage of, and zero encouragement ,not even a thank you.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Managment
Tedious and mean people
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
I did not enjoy my time spent at metro. The management was mean, the people who are supposed to train you don't teach you everything and they left most of the dirty work to me. No other courtesy clerk did anything.
Great place to work, flexable
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON12 September 2016
great place to work, flexable hours and worked easily along side me to assure that work would not take over in place of school. great benefits and belonging to the union were also great aspects.
Pleasant environment. Challenging
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 March 2017
Enjoyed working here. Alot to learn in the beginning. Wished for more hours. Very part time. Great training program. Awesome staff and employers. Great customer interaction. Organized and well informed on policy and procedures.
Pros
Pleasant clean environment
Cons
Only part time hours with no chance of working more.
Fast pace, friendly work environment
Cashier/Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 March 2017
A day at Metro was always busy, and character building. This established company has standards their willing to teach.
The best thing about working for Metro is the convenience/quality of your groceries.
The hardest part was not being able to advance within the company.
I had a very good experience over all
bakery manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 December 2016
I managed the bakery dept. I was responsible for the employees, the day to day tasks, the ordering,inventory,scheduling.
Best part of my job was working with public on a day to day bases.
I love the customer service aspect
Pros
experience
Cons
that you're only a number
Helpful and trusted source of employment information. Simplified
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2016
I enjoyed my time with the company. It is a unionize environment so everything works according to the collective agreement.
Pros
Longer brakes
Cons
Don't mind overtime if it means the job must be finnished
I enjoyed it
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 February 2017
The location i worked at was enjoyable, decently well run for the amount of customer it took in on a daily. The staff was pleasant and the overall experience was Great.
Bad Managment
Picker (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON Etobicoke19 July 2016
I worked here for 2 months and the workers are good people. The manager, the new guy is not a good person. He has his favorites. I got hurt and missed about 10 shifts and he said you don't want to work here anymore?? I told him I was hurt. He never asked me how I was doing or how did it happen. He keeps telling people in his speeches that he has 25 years experience. Well I have 27 years experience and you are not doing your job right as a manager. Start caring about your workers and respect them and maybe you will earn there respect. You lost mine and that was one of the reasons I left. The pay was so bad. 12.70 an hour and you work so hard. Full time get around 26 an hour doing the same job. I have never worked harder in a factory then this place. Good luck to you part timers. The money is not worth it. You should be making at least 18 an hour. The part timers are saving this company a lot of money. You get nothing in return.
Pros
Break
Cons
Everything pay, manager, people not caring.
alot of different tasks to do ur necer standing still
Deli Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 February 2017
Always working and alot of tasks. We have to make trays and clean and cook. Always alot of customer service and slicing meat.
Pros
good hours
great workplace
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 February 2017
a typical day at work would involve cutting fruits and vegetables and placing them neatly into boxes. then laying the front tables with different kinds of products.
its a start
OVER THE COUNTER INVENTORY (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON28 May 2016
minimum wage, haven't been at work in months due to unrelated injury

managers are stuck up
will yell at you for anything
be prepared to wear an uncomfortable uniform

Pharmacist is nice
store is clean
no overtime offered
Pros
24 hours shift flexible
Cons
Management is stiff
Good First Job
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 October 2015
Food Basics is an enjoyable work environment. I grew up working here and learned a lot about how a company truly works and how to treat a customer with dignity and respect while making sure all of their needs are fulfilled. Too many politics and favouritism from management (The bookkeeper). The most enjoyable part of my job was working with some of the kindest hardworking people I had ever met and made lifelong friends among them. The company started to cut hours and change the way they were running things so I have decided to part ways.
Pros
Working alongside my colleagues
Cons
Bookkeeper
metro is okay
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 September 2016
metro is a okay workplace, but it is hard for people to gain hours because they're people who have worked there for years and have higher seniority.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
hours