Metro Inc. Employee Reviews

Compagnie extra puissante
Technician Contrôle Qualité (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 July 2017
excelant compagnie, Beaucoup temps pour la formation, super formateur,travail sans stress.
Pros
syndiqué
Cons
travail phisique
great place
Commis d'entrepôt (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC7 July 2017
fun workplace great customers and a solid management

"Flexible hours for working during school"
"Good work environment, good work life balance"
Management et organisation
Assistante gérante charcuterie (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC27 June 2017
Apprendre a travaillé avec le peuple amérindien et leur coutume.
Environment agreable
Commis des fruits et légumes (Current Employee) –  montreal26 June 2017
Les employer et les clients sont tres agreable et ils ont toujours un sourire unique qui vous donne le gout de travailler
Pros
La clientele est fantastiqu
Cons
Les salaires ne sont pas préférable
clean and tidied department before and during customer service
Clerk/Cashier, Floral (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 June 2017
Floral
clean and tidy shelves and areas around plants
water plants
place orders once a week
distribute product when they arrive in the store.
Management let me run the department with little supervision
the hardest part of the job was the lifting of heavy boxes
the most enjoyable is working with the plants
employees were great to work with.
Pros
the abitity to work with little to no supervision but with guidancee
Cons
working late at night
Helpful as first job without experience, but that's it if you're not located near headquarters.
Deli, Seafood, Pharmacy clerks (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 June 2017
I worked at Metro cumulatively around 7 years. It was my first legitimate job at 15 when minimum wage was closer to $7/hr :) Had some great and not-so-great moments that are common to retail.

Pros:
-Have had experience in different departments, but only after leaving for school and returning for summer/on-going part-time work.
-Definitely a fantastic place to learn humility and appreciation for others in this field when you are the customer!
-Would generally be ok with time off, if booked off minimum 1-3 months in advance and managers notified.
-Was always accepted back no matter how long I'd left.
-Met some great people and customers

Cons:
-you lose any seniority you gain the second you take a leave of absence. I was told in training doing so for school was accepted; this was not honoured. Lack of training in some departments, particularly after a transfer to be closer to school (never met anyone at that store beyond my first shift and expected I knew where everything/one was in the store :/).
-ALWAYS part-time, ALWAYS minimum wage. Never received a single increase in wage in the 7 years I worked there, beyond when it changed provincially (i.e. even with my two stints of 3 consecutive years). A friend of mine requested a merit raise after a similar working timeframe and was laughed off/suggested that the position was a "gift"/nothing was owed to them.
-different dept. experiences showed different mini-cultures within the store. Working at the Pharmacy was the best experience with a great, respectful team who treated you as an equal. Deli (albeit I was youngest
  more... at that time) was a culture of fear towards management; you did what you were told to and were chastised for occurrences beyond your control. Management outside of your department often blamed you for customer concerns that reflected actions you did not do --> lack of trust and support in employee, more in customer stories.
-long-term staff would generally get away with a lot more than younger staff (i.e. multiple smoke breaks outside of their unionized breaks, no-shows for shifts without consequence, punch in late, similar drama as noted in other's posts, power-struggles, etc.). If jobs weren't done at end of shift, newbies were blamed despite work meant to be shared.
-would max out on #hours allowed per union requirements --> store ran on part-time workers without benefits and wage capped at $14/hr (i.e. I know someone who's worked the same job for 15 years but part-time/never offered full-time...can't make more than that now legally).

All in all, great first-job experience and takes a chance on a lot of teens looking to break into the working world! So thank you for that opportunity.

However ability to "live" working at Metro for a solid majority is impossible due to lack of advancement, surplus of part-time work with no benefits, consistent minimum wage, lack of any incentive for company loyalty (e.g. I worked briefly recently at the Superstore, which offered a discount card after 3 months, insurance discounts, shares in the company, etc.), being screwed over with pension (conveniently disappeared a few years ago and no help provided) and work culture (obviously differs on store).

It's a launching pad to other careers, which reflects in the lack of trust towards hiring full-time employees and treating part-time employees as replaceable.
Pros
See above (people, stability, good first-job)
Cons
See above (wage, hours, culture, lack of advancement or other training)
Fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON19 May 2017
The people are fun to work with and satisfying job if you have OCD due to facing being common practice. Doing carts is an unfavourable task but you usually aren't doing them for not then an hour at a time unless you are really new.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Good work environment, helpful coworkers
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 May 2017
Always clear instructions on what needs to be doing, and when it needs to be done. Store Manager takes a keen interest in maintaining standards, and passes this passion on to his Department heads, all of whom are willing to give help or advice as needed.
Pros
GREAT hour flexibility
First job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
No growth in fields like this no matter how fast you learn and how well you apply yourself. Excellent first job but do not overstay your welcome, as the old guard always wants to keep you down out of fear of losing their jobs or looking bad.
Plus difficile
Directeur (Current Employee) –  Rouyn-Noranda15 April 2017
Metro, BONNE entreprise, plus difficile avec super C!
Pros
Bon prix
Cons
Main d œuvre difficile
deli/seafood worker
Deli & Seafood Department Worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON4 April 2017
My experience at metro was just alright. Management was not very good, and my co-workers were always moody. Hard to book time off even though I was only a part time employee.
Joviale
Emballeur (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC1 April 2017
Ce fut un travail apprécié étant donner l'expérience acquises .
Pros
L’équipe
meh
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 March 2017
Was expected to do things that were impossible to do within your hours. Worked in a really unhealthy work environment. Prejudicial coworkers and super ignorant. People who were older would start drama with everyone. It wasn't fun at all.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great people and a great environment.
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 March 2017
working at metro part time was the best choice I could have made, because everyone was very respectful and I always enjoyed working with my employees.
Pros
good people there.
Cons
Always working with fresh fruit would make me hungry.
Bon milieu de travail
Boulanger (Former Employee) –  Saint-Constant, QC15 March 2017
Il y a de ça beaucoup de temps, mais, je me souviens de la magnifique ambiance de travail...
La proximité avec les clients...
Pros
Proximité, Équipe
Cons
Salaires
Pleasant environment. Challenging
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 March 2017
Enjoyed working here. Alot to learn in the beginning. Wished for more hours. Very part time. Great training program. Awesome staff and employers. Great customer interaction. Organized and well informed on policy and procedures.
Pros
Pleasant clean environment
Cons
Only part time hours with no chance of working more.
Environnement agréable
Delicatessen (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 March 2017
Journée a Metro peut passer vite ou lan dépendant du niveau de productivité et le jour. Autres employés sont très amical envers tout le monde
Cons
Aucun bénéfices
Fast pace, friendly work environment
Cashier/Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 March 2017
A day at Metro was always busy, and character building. This established company has standards their willing to teach.
The best thing about working for Metro is the convenience/quality of your groceries.
The hardest part was not being able to advance within the company.
great workplace
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 February 2017
a typical day at work would involve cutting fruits and vegetables and placing them neatly into boxes. then laying the front tables with different kinds of products.
Love my job at Metro
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON26 February 2017
I really love my job at metro. I'm just finishing up my last year of high school. I get minimum wage. It's a very fun exciting job that is always changing. I started about 10 months ago and that put me at the bottom of seniority so I only got about 0-8 hours a week. I'm getting about 8-16 hours now. If someone below me had more hours than me you can easily call and take one of their shifts so you can have more hours. There's always lots to do so you're not always standing around. Most coworkers are nice and actually care about you. New management has made metro look really good.
Pros
Always something to do
Cons
Schedule is very unpredictable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.