Metro Inc. Employee Reviews

Basic retail job but poor management
Customer service/ supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON12 November 2017
The Ajax location has poor upper management. Not a good work environment. On top of that, there are very few hours available and low job security due to labour cuts (a Longo’s just opened up nearby). They expect too much for what they pay (minimum wage, even if you’re a supervisor on the customer service desk). And you pay union dues every month (about $30) but the union is basically useless. However, for the most part it’s just your basic retail job.
Pros
Department heads are usually flexible with scheduling
Cons
Lack of hours, bad management, low pay
productive
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 November 2017
a great place to work while i was in high school. i learned much about produce and supply and demand. The management was productive and professional. an overall great part time position.
Enjoyable work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON5 November 2017
Love it. Great company for advancement. Very friendly staff. Still training but management is very accommodating to individual scheduling times. Many opportunities for growth and change
was a good starting job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2017
The job can be flexible to your availability but most of the time it isn't. The hours are unstable for the most part between 0-80 a week if you're a student. You are now required to have smart serve to work as a cashier. and Union is absolutely useless.
Pros
Good starting job
Cons
unstable hours, no job advancement, no benefits
Travail productif
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, QC6 September 2017
Il y a toujours beaucoup de chose à faire, pas le temps de s'ennuyer!
Pros
Longues poses
Cons
Aucun rabais ou avantage pour les employés
Not the Best
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2017
The company needs to acknowledge its hardworking people. The amount of work required to complete in a short period of time is unreasonable. After a while it starts to build unnecessary stress. Low salary for the type of job and the physical strain.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Physical Strain
Travail valorisant qui demande de polyvalence
Directeur général (Former Employee) –  Anjou28 August 2017
Service à la clientèle est très importants. Le prêt aux affaires essentiel. Travail d'équipe pour l'efficacité ce qui permet d' arrivé dans les budgets .
Pros
Pas routinier
Cons
Budget serré
Nice Benefits
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 August 2017
Flexible scheduling for students, frequent raises and fun atmosphere. I only left because I found a job closer to my school, during my studies, otherwise I would have stayed.
Productive an easy workplace
Salad Bar (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 August 2017
While I was working at Denso, I worked at the Salad Bar where I prepared various salads and fresh fruit and vegetable trays. The management was good and communicated well among employees. The hardest part of the job was the limited work hours. The most enjoyable part was the opportunity to improve your creativity skills.
Very stressful and not inspiring
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 August 2017
I did not like working for Metro. The reasons are that they would set unrealistic goals for you throughout the day. You were always rushed to do everything unreasonably. I did not feel appreciated the whole time that I worked there
class
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON13 August 2017
typical first job its pretty easy and if u can stock shelves u should be fine. The fulltimers take their jobs way too seriously and my manager was an absolute noob with the scheduling
Poor place to work. No hours.
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON28 July 2017
I hated it there, it was an okay first job but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I am incredibly glad to have moved on. They were constantly hiring but there was no hours as it was. Everyone that I know that works there, hates it. Managers were okay but no one really knew what they were doing.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
No hours, rude employees
Physical
Part-Time Selector (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 July 2017
The experience was physical, orderly and straightforward. The schedule fit perfectly with my school schedule and the employees are helpful with information to help develop the new trainees.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Physical
Compagnie extra puissante
Technician Contrôle Qualité (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 July 2017
excelant compagnie, Beaucoup temps pour la formation, super formateur,travail sans stress.
Pros
syndiqué
Cons
travail phisique
great place
Commis d'entrepôt (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC7 July 2017
fun workplace great customers and a solid management

"Flexible hours for working during school"
"Good work environment, good work life balance"
Management et organisation
Assistante gérante charcuterie (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC27 June 2017
Apprendre a travaillé avec le peuple amérindien et leur coutume.
Environment agreable
Commis des fruits et légumes (Current Employee) –  montreal26 June 2017
Les employer et les clients sont tres agreable et ils ont toujours un sourire unique qui vous donne le gout de travailler
Pros
La clientele est fantastiqu
Cons
Les salaires ne sont pas préférable
clean and tidied department before and during customer service
Clerk/Cashier, Floral (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 June 2017
Floral
clean and tidy shelves and areas around plants
water plants
place orders once a week
distribute product when they arrive in the store.
Management let me run the department with little supervision
the hardest part of the job was the lifting of heavy boxes
the most enjoyable is working with the plants
employees were great to work with.
Pros
the abitity to work with little to no supervision but with guidancee
Cons
working late at night
Helpful as first job without experience, but that's it if you're not located near headquarters.
Deli, Seafood, Pharmacy clerks (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 June 2017
I worked at Metro cumulatively around 7 years. It was my first legitimate job at 15 when minimum wage was closer to $7/hr :) Had some great and not-so-great moments that are common to retail.

Pros:
-Have had experience in different departments, but only after leaving for school and returning for summer/on-going part-time work.
-Definitely a fantastic place to learn humility and appreciation for others in this field when you are the customer!
-Would generally be ok with time off, if booked off minimum 1-3 months in advance and managers notified.
-Was always accepted back no matter how long I'd left.
-Met some great people and customers

Cons:
-you lose any seniority you gain the second you take a leave of absence. I was told in training doing so for school was accepted; this was not honoured. Lack of training in some departments, particularly after a transfer to be closer to school (never met anyone at that store beyond my first shift and expected I knew where everything/one was in the store :/).
-ALWAYS part-time, ALWAYS minimum wage. Never received a single increase in wage in the 7 years I worked there, beyond when it changed provincially (i.e. even with my two stints of 3 consecutive years). A friend of mine requested a merit raise after a similar working timeframe and was laughed off/suggested that the position was a "gift"/nothing was owed to them.
-different dept. experiences showed different mini-cultures within the store. Working at the Pharmacy was the best experience with a great, respectful team who treated you as an equal. Deli (albeit I was youngest
  more... at that time) was a culture of fear towards management; you did what you were told to and were chastised for occurrences beyond your control. Management outside of your department often blamed you for customer concerns that reflected actions you did not do --> lack of trust and support in employee, more in customer stories.
-long-term staff would generally get away with a lot more than younger staff (i.e. multiple smoke breaks outside of their unionized breaks, no-shows for shifts without consequence, punch in late, similar drama as noted in other's posts, power-struggles, etc.). If jobs weren't done at end of shift, newbies were blamed despite work meant to be shared.
-would max out on #hours allowed per union requirements --> store ran on part-time workers without benefits and wage capped at $14/hr (i.e. I know someone who's worked the same job for 15 years but part-time/never offered full-time...can't make more than that now legally).

All in all, great first-job experience and takes a chance on a lot of teens looking to break into the working world! So thank you for that opportunity.

However ability to "live" working at Metro for a solid majority is impossible due to lack of advancement, surplus of part-time work with no benefits, consistent minimum wage, lack of any incentive for company loyalty (e.g. I worked briefly recently at the Superstore, which offered a discount card after 3 months, insurance discounts, shares in the company, etc.), being screwed over with pension (conveniently disappeared a few years ago and no help provided) and work culture (obviously differs on store).

It's a launching pad to other careers, which reflects in the lack of trust towards hiring full-time employees and treating part-time employees as replaceable.
Pros
See above (people, stability, good first-job)
Cons
See above (wage, hours, culture, lack of advancement or other training)
Fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON19 May 2017
The people are fun to work with and satisfying job if you have OCD due to facing being common practice. Doing carts is an unfavourable task but you usually aren't doing them for not then an hour at a time unless you are really new.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Unpredictable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.