Metro Inc. Employee Reviews

Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Casselman, ON27 September 2016
Cashier was an OK job at the start but then I realize how the management was it was very poor you'd walk in there and it be dark everyone is really cool it's no fun like you at least want to communicate with your coworkers like I want to like talk with anyone socialize I love socializing with people but they just didn't seem to have a atmosphere on doing that so I left and started working at Calypso see waterpark and everything came better
Pros
Cons
15 / 30 minutes
Productive, stable work place with great work environment and benefits.
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2017
Productive, stable work place with great work environment and benefits. I really enjoy the pharmacy team and our pharmacy is run by an awesome Manager. Overall great place to work.
Flexable hours
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 July 2016
At first it seems this job is decent. But be careful, the amount of gossip from department heads and management is unbelievable. Harassment is flowing like a river. Never any support from management,even upper management. They cut hours drastically due to "budgets" yet it's all about management getting their bonuses,as they brag about how well business is. While still expected to do the job of 2+ people.
Hours are flexible,if you actually get any. Over all you are not respected,taken advantage of, and zero encouragement ,not even a thank you.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Managment
Some locations not for feint of heart
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Current position involves a lot of running around to fix errors to help customers or employees. Management switches every two years, and employees can be a handful sometimes.
Tedious and mean people
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
I did not enjoy my time spent at metro. The management was mean, the people who are supposed to train you don't teach you everything and they left most of the dirty work to me. No other courtesy clerk did anything.
Great place to work, flexable
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON12 September 2016
great place to work, flexable hours and worked easily along side me to assure that work would not take over in place of school. great benefits and belonging to the union were also great aspects.
Bad Managment
Picker (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON Etobicoke19 July 2016
I worked here for 2 months and the workers are good people. The manager, the new guy is not a good person. He has his favorites. I got hurt and missed about 10 shifts and he said you don't want to work here anymore?? I told him I was hurt. He never asked me how I was doing or how did it happen. He keeps telling people in his speeches that he has 25 years experience. Well I have 27 years experience and you are not doing your job right as a manager. Start caring about your workers and respect them and maybe you will earn there respect. You lost mine and that was one of the reasons I left. The pay was so bad. 12.70 an hour and you work so hard. Full time get around 26 an hour doing the same job. I have never worked harder in a factory then this place. Good luck to you part timers. The money is not worth it. You should be making at least 18 an hour. The part timers are saving this company a lot of money. You get nothing in return.
Pros
Break
Cons
Everything pay, manager, people not caring.
Helpful and trusted source of employment information. Simplified
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2016
I enjoyed my time with the company. It is a unionize environment so everything works according to the collective agreement.
Pros
Longer brakes
Cons
Don't mind overtime if it means the job must be finnished
its a start
OVER THE COUNTER INVENTORY (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON28 May 2016
minimum wage, haven't been at work in months due to unrelated injury

managers are stuck up
will yell at you for anything
be prepared to wear an uncomfortable uniform

Pharmacist is nice
store is clean
no overtime offered
Pros
24 hours shift flexible
Cons
Management is stiff
Good First Job
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 October 2015
Food Basics is an enjoyable work environment. I grew up working here and learned a lot about how a company truly works and how to treat a customer with dignity and respect while making sure all of their needs are fulfilled. Too many politics and favouritism from management (The bookkeeper). The most enjoyable part of my job was working with some of the kindest hardworking people I had ever met and made lifelong friends among them. The company started to cut hours and change the way they were running things so I have decided to part ways.
Pros
Working alongside my colleagues
Cons
Bookkeeper
metro is okay
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 September 2016
metro is a okay workplace, but it is hard for people to gain hours because they're people who have worked there for years and have higher seniority.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
hours
Overall a workplace that kept both the mind and body active.
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 January 2013
Typically the day started by culling off code product. Then assessed requirements for the days production. Checked orders and began decorating cakes along with serving customer's needs. I learned time management, people skills, WHMIS, health and safety, cleanliness, how to effectively deal with fellow employees and management. I thoroughly enjoyed the job the hardest part being when it became extremely busy at the same time trying to process people's orders. I enjoyed dealing with the public, meeting new people as well as interacting with established customers.
Pros
benefits, hours of work, wages
Cons
accessibility from my current location
A good workplace overall, plenty of camaraderie amongst coworkers.
Floral Designer & Cashier/Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2015
A really good start out job for young people looking for part-time employment. I never thought it would be possible to learn so much about myself or human behaviour in general while working at a grocery store. It was sometimes difficult to deal with customers that were rude or unpleasant, but it's definitely taught me the importance of being kind to strangers in seemingly meaningless interactions and the impact that can have on someone's day. I made many friends and was genuinely sad to leave this company for a new city.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Good part time job for students and people looking for easy work.
Metro Inc. Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2015
A good job for a student looking to work a few hours a week, not for someone looking for full time work. Store can get extremely busy and unorganized making more work. Easy enough job most of the time though. More about keeping the shelves stocked than anything else but is expected of a busy store that is much to small to function at maximum efficiency.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, good management, convenient location (on TTC Subway Line).
Cons
Minimal hours, small store and warehouse, lazy employees.
Great Coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2015
The co-workers were great but there's no career here. It was best to find employment elsewhere to keep moving up. Although there are some options.
Good Workplace Overall
Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON2 November 2015
Working at Metro Inc. is a fairly good experience. I get to interact with new people everyday and my co-workers are all very nice and respectful.

I usually work anywhere between 5-9 hour days which can get hard on the feet as I am usually standing in one spot for the majority of my shift. I normally work 25-30 hours a week which I really like. They also work around everyone's schedule really well.

I often work the customer service desk where refunds, lottery & tobacco sales, bottle returns and western union transactions are processed. The customer service desk is also where customers come to complain which can get tiring however it has taught me how to handle unhappy customers and to try my best to make their experience the best it can be.
Pros
Close to where I live, will work around your schedule, friendly co-workers
Cons
hard on the feet, dealing with a lot of problem customers can be tiring, memorizing codes
A business environment that allows employees to become a family
Bookkeeper/Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2015
A very fast-paced environment that brings new challenges every day. I have learned so much from working at four locations with various types of people, as well as having been a field trainer across the province. I have learned various managerial skills that have led me to the position I am in now and I am excited to learn more in the future.
Pros
Very much a family environment where everyone gets along and works well together.
productive, cold
selector (Former Employee) –  etobicoke (cold chain)22 October 2014
selecting product for shipment
only advancement for full time employees
cold environment (3 Degrees)
very busy, fast paced
unqualified workers, in most cases
Pros
location, flexibility of hours
Cons
Fun place to work at night time, don't care for employees though.
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 January 2016
Had a fun time working here on night shift, although I believe 3 out 4 of my co-workers were mentally-ill to some extent, the 4th made up for it thankfully. Weirdest people I've ever worked with.
tres bonne compagnie
Directeur adjoint (Former Employee) –  Rimouski, QC1 January 2016
j ai adorer travailler chez metro c est une compagnie en pleine evolutions et qui ecoute ses employes,lorsque vient le temps de discuter avec les superieurs,notre point de vue est importants pour eux