Metro Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
tres bonne compagnie
Directeur adjoint (Former Employee), Rimouski, QCJanuary 1, 2016
j ai adorer travailler chez metro c est une compagnie en pleine evolutions et qui ecoute ses employes,lorsque vient le temps de discuter avec les superieurs,notre point de vue est importants pour eux
Great Coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 10, 2015
The co-workers were great but there's no career here. It was best to find employment elsewhere to keep moving up. Although there are some options.
cash/ courtesy clerk
Courtesy Clerk/ Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
Pros: good hours, different thing to do
Cons: can be demanding and short notice
- Putting away unwanted items into the approtie section

- Cleaned bath rooms, and when ever there was a spill in the store

- When it gets busy I would go on cash and help speed up the lines so people could be on there way
Great Company
Pallets Assembler (Former Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 20, 2015
Pros: Paid lunch and break
Cons: Night shift, on call .
Great company with a great interest for their employee.
The job is great and the employee are friendly and helpful.
Possibility to do overtime really often.
A business environment that allows employees to become a family
Bookkeeper/Head Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Very much a family environment where everyone gets along and works well together.
A very fast-paced environment that brings new challenges every day. I have learned so much from working at four locations with various types of people, as well as having been a field trainer across the province. I have learned various managerial skills that have led me to the position I am in now and I am excited to learn more in the future.
Good Workplace Overall
Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee), Ottawa West, ONNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Close to where I live, will work around your schedule, friendly co-workers
Cons: hard on the feet, dealing with a lot of problem customers can be tiring, memorizing codes
Working at Metro Inc. is a fairly good experience. I get to interact with new people everyday and my co-workers are all very nice and respectful.

I usually work anywhere between 5-9 hour days which can get hard on the feet as I am usually standing in one spot for the majority of my shift. I normally work 25-30 hours a week which I really like. They also work around everyone's schedule really well.

I often work the customer service desk where refunds, lottery & tobacco sales, bottle returns and western union transactions are processed. The customer service desk is also where customers come to complain which can get tiring however it has taught me how to handle unhappy customers and to try my best to make their experience the best it can be.
The many tasks of the customer service desk
Cashier and Customer Service Desk (Current Employee), Pickering, ONOctober 15, 2015
4-6 Hours a day

On top of regular grocery check outs. You have to print and check lottery quick picks and scratch tickets, preform refunds and exchanges, preform western unions transfers, get change for the other registers, and do cash pick ups.
Good First Job
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Current Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 4, 2015
Pros: Working alongside my colleagues
Cons: Bookkeeper
Food Basics is an enjoyable work environment. I grew up working here and learned a lot about how a company truly works and how to treat a customer with dignity and respect while making sure all of their needs are fulfilled. Too many politics and favouritism from management (The bookkeeper). The most enjoyable part of my job was working with some of the kindest hardworking people I had ever met and made lifelong friends among them. The company started to cut hours and change the way they were running things so I have decided to part ways.
A good workplace overall, plenty of camaraderie amongst coworkers.
Floral Designer & Cashier/Service Desk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 27, 2015
Pros: Good atmosphere
Cons: Long hours
A really good start out job for young people looking for part-time employment. I never thought it would be possible to learn so much about myself or human behaviour in general while working at a grocery store. It was sometimes difficult to deal with customers that were rude or unpleasant, but it's definitely taught me the importance of being kind to strangers in seemingly meaningless interactions and the impact that can have on someone's day. I made many friends and was genuinely sad to leave this company for a new city.
Good part time job for students and people looking for easy work.
Metro Inc. Retail Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Pros: Schedule flexibility, good management, convenient location (on TTC Subway Line).
Cons: Minimal hours, small store and warehouse, lazy employees.
A good job for a student looking to work a few hours a week, not for someone looking for full time work. Store can get extremely busy and unorganized making more work. Easy enough job most of the time though. More about keeping the shelves stocked than anything else but is expected of a busy store that is much to small to function at maximum efficiency.
Productive workplace with cooperative staff
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Simple but productive job, didn't feel like I was ever doing nothing, the food smelled good
Cons: Lots of food thrown out, not allowed to eat any of it, can sometimes be a dirty environment due to greasy floors and dishes, slipping is a hazard
I would typically come in to work and mainly deal with either deli meats or hot foods for most of my shift although I wasn't restricted to one area. It was not a very busy job besides at lunch and dinner time when there would be a rush of customers. I learned to use standard deli equipment and provide customers assistance with purchasing our products.
Weekend job
Caissière (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJune 29, 2015
Pros: Good service, good location
Cons: Lunch room
I believe Metro is a great first job for students. When i worked there i only worked sundays for only 4 hours long which i didnt like but it's a good job for busy students that need a little bit of money.
Good place to start a career
Analyste mise en marché (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMay 23, 2015
It's a good company to start your career
You need to be able to work under high pressure due to the nature of the company products being sold; fresh foods
productive, cold
selector (Former Employee), etobicoke (cold chain)October 22, 2014
Pros: location, flexibility of hours
Cons: long hours
selecting product for shipment
only advancement for full time employees
cold environment (3 Degrees)
very busy, fast paced
unqualified workers, in most cases
fun place to work
Frozen Food Manager (Former Employee), ontarioMay 24, 2013
Pros: o
Cons: happy staff
full place to work
learned to manage staff
fair management
great co-workers
hardest part of the job is ordering product for weekly specials
best part of the job is you control what you have to order
A productive and busy place, where customer service is the number one priority.
Express Service Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 5, 2013
Pros: food was always nearby; frequent interaction with people; friendly management and coworkers
Cons: short breaks; slow hours made work boring; little control over scheduling
A typical shift for myself would be around 4-6 hours long and be compromised of processing customer transactions, while keeping my area clean and organized. I would normally get a 15 minute break, in which I could eat something quickly then return to finish my shift.

From working at Metro Inc., I have learned how to operate a cash register and work for long periods of time in a fast-paced work environment. It has also taught me how to provide excellent customer service and learn to persevere through work, despite personal issues or other challenges.

I thought most of the management was amazing. They were fair, kept an eye on ongoing operations and engaged with customers to increase their shopping experience. I also found out that one manager in particular had really appreciated my contribution to Metro Inc. and let me know this, which made me feel great.

Most of my co-workers were very laid back, yet hardworking. This made for a great work environment and allowed me to thrive as part of a strong team.

The hardest part of my job was memorizing the codes for every produce item in the store and being able to identify the item to which it belonged to. If that doesn't sound hard, I'll let you know that we had 7 different types of eggplant alone, all with different codes.

By far the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to talk with people frequently, because if they were in a good mood we could have a nice chat about anything. Or even if they weren't having the greatest day, I would do my best to cheer them up and finish my job efficiently, so as to leave them with a – more... better state of mind. – less
Overall a workplace that kept both the mind and body active.
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: benefits, hours of work, wages
Cons: accessibility from my current location
Typically the day started by culling off code product. Then assessed requirements for the days production. Checked orders and began decorating cakes along with serving customer's needs. I learned time management, people skills, WHMIS, health and safety, cleanliness, how to effectively deal with fellow employees and management. I thoroughly enjoyed the job the hardest part being when it became extremely busy at the same time trying to process people's orders. I enjoyed dealing with the public, meeting new people as well as interacting with established customers.
emploi d'étudiant
Commis d'épicerie (Former Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 7, 2015
il y a un syndicat. le salaire augmente. tu peu transférer de département s'il y a une ouverture. si tu veux avancer dans la compagnie, il y a la possibilité. tu travail avec le publique.
fruits et legumes
gerant fruits et legumes (Former Employee), montrealSeptember 12, 2015
gestion d'employer
s'assurer que tout est bien fait pour les consommateur