Metro Inc. Employee Reviews

No raise after a year and running my own department
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 February 2017
Was expected to do multiple jobs for minimum wage and was given no incentive to stay at the company after almost 2 years. I was repeatedly called into work on my days off and guilt tripped by store managers to bail them out of a no call no show. I learned to not answer the phone when they called on my days off very within the first few months. The union worked more to your disadvantage and limited you on your hours and how much you could earn more than they would protect your rights as an employee. I was working often 6 days a week 30 hours a week (5 hours shifts) so that I couldn't get full-time benefits and I would never have a weekend off and would only get a 15 minute break daily. Half of the staff suffered from some sort of mental disability or physical handicap or limitation and the union would protect them so you would be often dealing with multiple workloads.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Casselman, ON27 September 2016
Cashier was an OK job at the start but then I realize how the management was it was very poor you'd walk in there and it be dark everyone is really cool it's no fun like you at least want to communicate with your coworkers like I want to like talk with anyone socialize I love socializing with people but they just didn't seem to have a atmosphere on doing that so I left and started working at Calypso see waterpark and everything came better
Pros
Cons
15 / 30 minutes
I had a very good experience over all
bakery manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 December 2016
I managed the bakery dept. I was responsible for the employees, the day to day tasks, the ordering,inventory,scheduling.
Best part of my job was working with public on a day to day bases.
I love the customer service aspect
Pros
experience
Cons
that you're only a number
it was pretty good
Produce/Grocery/Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2017
metro march rd.
it was a fun place to work...some creepy staff but overall a great beginning job for someone looking to acquire and develop skills. Management was not good but not terrible. Many good memories and great co-workers
Helpful and trusted source of employment information. Simplified
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2016
I enjoyed my time with the company. It is a unionize environment so everything works according to the collective agreement.
Pros
Longer brakes
Cons
Don't mind overtime if it means the job must be finnished
Productive, stable work place with great work environment and benefits.
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2017
Productive, stable work place with great work environment and benefits. I really enjoy the pharmacy team and our pharmacy is run by an awesome Manager. Overall great place to work.
Some locations not for feint of heart
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Current position involves a lot of running around to fix errors to help customers or employees. Management switches every two years, and employees can be a handful sometimes.
Flexable hours
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 July 2016
At first it seems this job is decent. But be careful, the amount of gossip from department heads and management is unbelievable. Harassment is flowing like a river. Never any support from management,even upper management. They cut hours drastically due to "budgets" yet it's all about management getting their bonuses,as they brag about how well business is. While still expected to do the job of 2+ people.
Hours are flexible,if you actually get any. Over all you are not respected,taken advantage of, and zero encouragement ,not even a thank you.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Managment
I enjoyed it
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 February 2017
The location i worked at was enjoyable, decently well run for the amount of customer it took in on a daily. The staff was pleasant and the overall experience was Great.
Tedious and mean people
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
I did not enjoy my time spent at metro. The management was mean, the people who are supposed to train you don't teach you everything and they left most of the dirty work to me. No other courtesy clerk did anything.
Bad Managment
Picker (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON Etobicoke19 July 2016
I worked here for 2 months and the workers are good people. The manager, the new guy is not a good person. He has his favorites. I got hurt and missed about 10 shifts and he said you don't want to work here anymore?? I told him I was hurt. He never asked me how I was doing or how did it happen. He keeps telling people in his speeches that he has 25 years experience. Well I have 27 years experience and you are not doing your job right as a manager. Start caring about your workers and respect them and maybe you will earn there respect. You lost mine and that was one of the reasons I left. The pay was so bad. 12.70 an hour and you work so hard. Full time get around 26 an hour doing the same job. I have never worked harder in a factory then this place. Good luck to you part timers. The money is not worth it. You should be making at least 18 an hour. The part timers are saving this company a lot of money. You get nothing in return.
Pros
Break
Cons
Everything pay, manager, people not caring.
Great place to work, flexable
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON12 September 2016
great place to work, flexable hours and worked easily along side me to assure that work would not take over in place of school. great benefits and belonging to the union were also great aspects.
metro is okay
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 September 2016
metro is a okay workplace, but it is hard for people to gain hours because they're people who have worked there for years and have higher seniority.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
hours
its a start
OVER THE COUNTER INVENTORY (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON28 May 2016
minimum wage, haven't been at work in months due to unrelated injury

managers are stuck up
will yell at you for anything
be prepared to wear an uncomfortable uniform

Pharmacist is nice
store is clean
no overtime offered
Pros
24 hours shift flexible
Cons
Management is stiff
A business environment that allows employees to become a family
Bookkeeper/Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2015
A very fast-paced environment that brings new challenges every day. I have learned so much from working at four locations with various types of people, as well as having been a field trainer across the province. I have learned various managerial skills that have led me to the position I am in now and I am excited to learn more in the future.
Pros
Very much a family environment where everyone gets along and works well together.
Good First Job
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 October 2015
Food Basics is an enjoyable work environment. I grew up working here and learned a lot about how a company truly works and how to treat a customer with dignity and respect while making sure all of their needs are fulfilled. Too many politics and favouritism from management (The bookkeeper). The most enjoyable part of my job was working with some of the kindest hardworking people I had ever met and made lifelong friends among them. The company started to cut hours and change the way they were running things so I have decided to part ways.
Pros
Working alongside my colleagues
Cons
Bookkeeper
cash/ courtesy clerk
Courtesy Clerk/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2015
- Putting away unwanted items into the approtie section

- Cleaned bath rooms, and when ever there was a spill in the store

- When it gets busy I would go on cash and help speed up the lines so people could be on there way
Pros
good hours, different thing to do
Cons
can be demanding and short notice
A good workplace overall, plenty of camaraderie amongst coworkers.
Floral Designer & Cashier/Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2015
A really good start out job for young people looking for part-time employment. I never thought it would be possible to learn so much about myself or human behaviour in general while working at a grocery store. It was sometimes difficult to deal with customers that were rude or unpleasant, but it's definitely taught me the importance of being kind to strangers in seemingly meaningless interactions and the impact that can have on someone's day. I made many friends and was genuinely sad to leave this company for a new city.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Good part time job for students and people looking for easy work.
Metro Inc. Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2015
A good job for a student looking to work a few hours a week, not for someone looking for full time work. Store can get extremely busy and unorganized making more work. Easy enough job most of the time though. More about keeping the shelves stocked than anything else but is expected of a busy store that is much to small to function at maximum efficiency.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, good management, convenient location (on TTC Subway Line).
Cons
Minimal hours, small store and warehouse, lazy employees.
Fun place to work at night time, don't care for employees though.
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 January 2016
Had a fun time working here on night shift, although I believe 3 out 4 of my co-workers were mentally-ill to some extent, the 4th made up for it thankfully. Weirdest people I've ever worked with.