Position: Web Developer
Classification: Interactive Developer
Reports to: Senior Product Manager, Digital
Posting Date: February 24, 2014
Are you an experienced LAMP web developer with a demonstrable track record in WordPress development? Do you want to work in a dynamic, high traffic, multi-platform environment with a heavy mobile focus? We are looking for a Web Developer to join our talented Interactive Team at Metro.
As a Web Developer you will work with a busy and energetic team developing Metro properties for web, mobile web and the online aspects of our mobile application landscape. Working with WordPress.com VIP – Automattic’s enterprise WordPress platform – you will develop themes and plug-ins for Metro’s, high-traffic websites while adhering to best practices for Responsive Design and performance-based development.
- Develop new, innovative plugins and interactive solutions that adhere to Automattic’s strict coding standards
- Maintain, refractor and optimize Metro’s web and mobile solutions to meet performance and uptime needs of our customers, partners, advertisers and employees
- Provide ongoing support for our mobile applications with regard to parsers, content feeds and media distribution
- Maintain, refactor and optimize Metro’s web and mobile web solutions to meet performance and uptime needs of our customers, partners, advertisers and employees.
- Respond proactively to outages and service issues as they may arise
REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION:
As a talented incumbent you will have experience creating websites in WordPress and have enterprise level experience with PHP, MySQL and SVN. As a LAMP developer you will have experience developing scalable solutions from PSD and wireframes. In the course of work you will be asked to liaise with other departments and on occasion clients, as such good written and verbal communications skills are also essential.
- 2 years Wordpress in a development capacity (plugins, themes, etc) or 4 years experience PHP without Wordpress
- Strong familiarity with all of the following: web design, HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, AJAX, MySQL, XML/RSS, SVN
- Demonstrated responsive design experience a plus
- Experience with at least one PHP framework preferred (Zend, Codelgniter, CakePHP, Symphony, YII, Kohana, etc)
- Web performance optimization
- Innovative, efficient, detail oriented
- Adobe familiarity an asset, not a requirement
If you think you have what it takes for this position, send your resume and cover letter no later than February 28th. PLEASE QUOTE “Web Developer” in the subject line. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. All submissions will be treated as confidential.
Indeed - 14 months ago
Metro is the largest international newspaper in the world and is published in over 100 major cities in 20 countries across Europe, North...