Synthetic Chemist – Diagnostics Development
Metaara Medical Technologies Inc. is a Vancouver-based molecular diagnostics device company that is developing a proprietary point of care (POC) diagnostics platform incorporating an ultra-sensitive and cost effective DNA and RNA detection technology that eliminates the need for expensive capital equipment and complex processing. Due to our continued growth we are looking for an experienced synthetic chemist with a background in electrochemistry to provide hands-on management and development work related to a one-year contract project with a possibility for renewal.
Reporting to the Vice President of Product Development, the electrochemist will be responsible to manage the synthesis and evaluation of novel electrochemical reporter molecules for Metaara’s molecular diagnostic platform for the detection of bacterial and viral pathogens.
Accountabilities and Deliverables
- In cooperation with the team members, assist in the rational design of electrochemical reporter molecules for DNA detection,
- Coordinate the synthesis and purification of electrochemical reporters.
- Characterize the reporters by electrochemical and molecular biological techniques.
- Analyze data, interpret results, and recommend appropriate action.
- Prepare technical reports, patent filings, summaries, and quantitative analyses.
- Prepare presentation materials and clearly communicate research results.
- Keep up-to-date on recent developments in the primary literature.
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong industrial and academic background in modern electrochemistry including background in synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry methodology.
- Operation of electrochemical work station.
- Excellent computer skills, including data and information retrieval and input.
- Demonstrable ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong communication skills and work ethic.
- A commitment to continuous learning and a demonstrated ability to perform in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with rapidly-changing priorities.
- Strong attention to detail.
Education and Experience Requirements
A minimum of Ph.D. in electrochemistry with two years of pharmaceutical of biotechnology industrial experience or a M.Sc. in electrochemistry with four years of pharmaceutical of biotechnology industrial experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applicants, only those chosen for interview will be contacted.