Merry Maids Employee Reviews in Canada

Full of liars and scammers
Teammate (Former Employee) –  Victoria BCFebruary 6, 2013
You show up at the office in the morning around 8, and you stay until they tell you to. You are not done your last day until the last clean is finished, and then they may send you to help. very hard to schedule appointments around. Some days are great and easy with good payroll, and some are all underbid houses and they are long and unrealistic. Depends how much management likes you on what you're dealt and how much you make. You make management angry for any reason (ie, booking time off, they just generally dont like you, being sick etc) and you're screwed. I was sick and had many doctors saying I could not work and excusing me and then I got let go for other reasons they were saying that were so out of left field for me, i didnt even know where they came from. no severance pay, no notice, nothing. they just fire you.
you work 10 or 11 hours in a day and they dont pay you overtime for that day because you're somehow only at "39 hours for the week, you havent gone overtime for the week." when you track your hours you see they are shorting you.

The co-workers were awesome (and most warned me that the situation I just mentioned is how they handle things, or they cut your hours to make you want to quit so they do not have to give you severance) and I enjoyed working with ALL of them. Awesome girls who unfortunately are stuck in a dead end job for a multitude of reasons. I even generally like the office staff as people but it is hard to get past the lack of empathy from them. They have nice cars and nice houses and dont understand what its like to barely be able to pay car insurance
  more... on your old beater of a car much less to fix anything on it.

I was quite disappointed by the lack of car in terms of the customer. You do not care about the customer, you only care about making money. You get punished if a customer cannot afford the services anymore. No more bonus for you because they cant afford it. But "we want to make them want their houses cleaned more than they want cable or internet." YEAH RIGHT! Some of these customers were SOOOO overpaying and the employees fill out forms upon forms and the office does nothing because they do not want to loose money. and same goes for others, they were underpaying and the office does nothing because they do not want to lose the customer.

Hardest part of the job is justifying why you are doing the job. Why are you cleaning feces and urine for barely above minimum wage?

Most enjoyable part of the job? Going home at the end of the day.

Granted... a lot of the customers are amazing people and seeing them happy was a huge bonus. But on the other hand, is it worth being treated like scum by some of the other customers and even the staff? I think not.

I would never work at merry maids again. Nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. Unless it is your absolute LAST resort and youre willing to be a door mat so you can actually keep your job.
benefits
Cons
pay, random loss of hours or work altogether
The potential is great
Office Administrator/Retention specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 12, 2012
A typical day
- Double check the maid's schedule , following up on leads and sales calls the phone and email.

I have learned that setting clear boundaries and professionalism is essential to a management team.

My co workers work really hard at their job and deserve much more then our company was able to provide .

The hardest part of my job was my relationship with my boss.

The customer service and capturing sales was my favorite part of the job
Cons
no benifits and low wages
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo,BCNovember 10, 2012
Very organized,Mon-friday typical day is short but exhausting,weekely paycheque.
Pros
weekly paycheque, flexible hrs
Cons
exhausting work
Maid/Cleaner
Merry Maid of the Valley (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, NSOctober 30, 2012
Get ready for the day, get everything together. Drive to the first house and you got to fill out some paper work with the miles and your time you started and ended. One parnter does wet the other does dry through out the house. We do everything from top to bottom. I love my job but Im looking to go out west and start making money.
Pros
benifits, get paid for gas.
Cons
not enough money.
Summer Part-Time (Former Employee) –  MississaugaApril 10, 2012
Working with merry maids, was a typical day to day occupancy. For myself it was a typical day at home- only cleaning and satifying other people. My management was a family memember- and it didnt really work out. My co-workers were awesome and we all helped eachother get the job done in time. The hardest part of the job was seeing cokmplete satisfaction from client, although sometimes it was not easy, I can say that the job was always done right. HAving clients call back for another house cleaning job meant that we were satisfying ti them, and that was very enjoyable to myself and co-workers.
Great company.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, PE, CanadaMarch 4, 2012
I loved working for this company but there was conflct with some management and switching up your teammates daily was frustrating.
Pros
completing the occasional day early.
Cons
not a full 8 hour day of work.
I loved working for Merry Maids
Merrry "Maid (Current Employee) –  Victoria British Columbia CanadaFebruary 24, 2012
I had worked for Merry Maids, and still am until Tuesday, they are a great employer, I am leaving because I was told by doctor I can no longer clean. which is to me very sad because I have not only gotten close to all the staff but to all the clients, they offer benefits, and bonuses, and are a great company to work for, anyone who got a position should expect to work hard but be rewarded for it
Pros
bonuses, perks, outings
Cons
not sure of work hours, very challenging expectations