Merry Maids Employee Reviews in Canada

great job terrible management and treatment.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONNovember 3, 2015
I worked at merry maids for a few months and at first it was great. I loved cleaning and all the customers management was so kind and helpful. The pay was great too. After I had been there for a few months the pay started to get less and less but we were cleaning more houses than before. More than once they messed up my pay one time they paid someone else who didn't even work that day for my cleaning. The second time they somehow forgot to put almost $200 on my pay but they paid my partner the right amount. When I pointed it out they were mad. They have a rule that if you get tips from the customers you have to hand it in then they will return it to you. They rarely give it back and if you ask they pretend they don't know what your talking about. They say you work 9-5pm but you have to be there for 8am and they make you work up to 630pm some days. If you have an appointment during the day they get mad and send you out to clean all day anyways. They give you your houses in the mornings and you could have 4-6 houses or a couple specials. They will have it so you are working till 430-5pm then on your way to the office give you another house and have you out till 6pm. The management started to get more rude as time went by and all they care about is the money they get from customers. They over charge and now they have a rule that if your cleaning an apartment your time starts when you park the car so the customer is paying for an hour and only getting 40 minutes of cleaning and getting ripped off. They also make you clean rat poo with no hand face or foot protection and don't care.
Pros
great customers and co-workers
Cons
long hours, unpredictable days, management doesn't care about you or your safety
Fun Work with friendly coworkers
Co-Owner (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 29, 2016
I had to work and clean rooms in a student housing facility, the owner was gracious and gave clear expectations and also he was a good expierence of working with others.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
long days
Felt like a slave
House Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 29, 2015
Didn't feel lie this company cared about anything but money. It is hard to please everyone for the fact that everyone has different standards that take time to learn so we could meet them properly. If a customer had a complaint be it small or large, instead of working with the employees and coming up with a solution together, the management would deduct money off of the employees checks,
Merry Maids helped me to gain experience in the working industry when I was just starting out.
House Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Overall, Merry Maids was a decent job. Very active job, as it is to clean houses. Most enjoyable part was working in teams to get the cleaning done. Management was very understand and friendly.
Merry Maids
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2015
I honestly love this company! I clean house by myself, and the management is ALWAYS willing to bring you extra equipment; and even help you out. The very first house I did, I was with my boss, and she was out cleaning houses all day, so they put in the effort as well. Which is a nice change. I usually clean 2 normal houses a day. Meaning top floor and bottom floor. Some houses take me longer then others, but most of time I can be off between 2 and 3 PM and have the afternoon to myself. The only thing I don't like is the feeling of awkwardness between my other co-workers... I almost feel like they don't like me, but it also could be because you have to be at the office for 7:30, and most of them live in the north.

But it's an amazing company, with great bosses! Love them,
Pros
Getting off early, meet new customers, seeing a smile on their face when we leave.
Cons
Waking up early.
Merry maids
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONNovember 19, 2015
I would arrive at work 15 minutes before my shift to organize my equipment for the day. Load my vehicle and proceed to the locations on my work order for each day.
once at the homes/business myself and my partner would follow our guidelines for cleaning each area according to the Merry Maids standards.

Hours were generally 8-5 Monday - Friday.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Was extremely hard on my back.
Work Independently
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 11, 2016
I love a challenge and I found working here was a big challenge, Each place we went you had a time line and a lot of task to complete within that time line.work independently.
The potential is great
Office Administrator/Retention specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 12, 2012
A typical day
- Double check the maid's schedule , following up on leads and sales calls the phone and email.

I have learned that setting clear boundaries and professionalism is essential to a management team.

My co workers work really hard at their job and deserve much more then our company was able to provide .

The hardest part of my job was my relationship with my boss.

The customer service and capturing sales was my favorite part of the job
Cons
no benifits and low wages
I loved working for Merry Maids
Merrry "Maid (Current Employee) –  Victoria British Columbia CanadaFebruary 24, 2012
I had worked for Merry Maids, and still am until Tuesday, they are a great employer, I am leaving because I was told by doctor I can no longer clean. which is to me very sad because I have not only gotten close to all the staff but to all the clients, they offer benefits, and bonuses, and are a great company to work for, anyone who got a position should expect to work hard but be rewarded for it
Pros
bonuses, perks, outings
Cons
not sure of work hours, very challenging expectations
good
Quality Assurance Manager and Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Quality Assurance and Sales ConsultantOctober 4, 2015
Fun exciting company to work for.Great group of co-workers who try hard each and every day to live up to the the Merry maids motto "It's a great day at Merry Maids" .
Fun to work
maid (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 25, 2014
Quite busy,Learned more technicates, management could be alot b
etter. Co-workers are fun to work with.Physical fast to get the houses
done in the time aloud.
I enjoyed was the customers.
Pros
it was a job
Cons
long hours didn't get payed for.
merry maids
cleaner (Current Employee) –  richmonhill, onApril 29, 2015
A typical day working at merry maids is we would get in for 7:45 and have a morning meeting about every customer we have get are totes ready for the day then off to the first house, sometimes we work in a team but most of the time we are alone. I learned that there are different people everyday with different things going in there life why they are not able to do there daily house stuff. My coworkers are very friendly and helpful. the hardest part dealing with my job was making sure the customer was happy at all times. The most enjoyable part of my job was doing my work right and always getting thank for it, then I know I've done my job right.
Summer Part-Time (Former Employee) –  MississaugaApril 10, 2012
Working with merry maids, was a typical day to day occupancy. For myself it was a typical day at home- only cleaning and satifying other people. My management was a family memember- and it didnt really work out. My co-workers were awesome and we all helped eachother get the job done in time. The hardest part of the job was seeing cokmplete satisfaction from client, although sometimes it was not easy, I can say that the job was always done right. HAving clients call back for another house cleaning job meant that we were satisfying ti them, and that was very enjoyable to myself and co-workers.
great work place
house keeper (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONFebruary 22, 2015
enjoyable, extra cleaning skills and how do a great job first time around, not very good, amazing co-workers, very messy bathrooms, knowing im helping somebody by giving them a clean house for when they get home and know they can relax.
Pros
great customers
Cons
poor management
Fast-paced and fun work environment
In-home housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 24, 2013
Working at Merry Maids was excellent. My co-workers were great and the management was organized and respectful. I enjoyed working with the people but the job entailed my driving all over Halifax/Dartmouth to clean houses. I didn't get many hours and the pay wasn't cutting it, so I moved back to Cape Breton to attend the Office Admin program at CBBC.
Pros
wonderful people
Cons
not enough money or hours
Great bosses/co-workers and very nice customers.
House cleaner (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONSeptember 9, 2014
A typical day at work for me would be to show up about 5-10 mins early figure out where/what I'm doing and get right to work. Every day I learned how to have a positive attitude towards everything no matter the challenge. There was always me and my partner to so many houses a day. They were about an hour to an hour and a half houses that were completed in those times sometimes sooner. The co-workers were very nice but like I said I only worked with one person and we were in and out of the office very quickly every morning and every afternoon when we finished. The hardest part of the job would of been dealing with upset customers. The best thing was always seeing the success in the end
Maid/Cleaner
Merry Maid of the Valley (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, NSOctober 30, 2012
Get ready for the day, get everything together. Drive to the first house and you got to fill out some paper work with the miles and your time you started and ended. One parnter does wet the other does dry through out the house. We do everything from top to bottom. I love my job but Im looking to go out west and start making money.
Pros
benifits, get paid for gas.
Cons
not enough money.
It's okay.
Residential Cleaner (Current Employee) –  ONOctober 28, 2013
It's an okay job, not something I want to do everyday. I don't really like it. It's cleaning 3-4 house a day. I've learned how to clean properly. Management is alright, some of the co-workers are iffy depends on who they are. The hardest part of the job is making sure its done right. The most enjoyable part is going home.
Great company.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, PE, CanadaMarch 4, 2012
I loved working for this company but there was conflct with some management and switching up your teammates daily was frustrating.
Pros
completing the occasional day early.
Cons
not a full 8 hour day of work.
Full of liars and scammers
Teammate (Former Employee) –  Victoria BCFebruary 6, 2013
You show up at the office in the morning around 8, and you stay until they tell you to. You are not done your last day until the last clean is finished, and then they may send you to help. very hard to schedule appointments around. Some days are great and easy with good payroll, and some are all underbid houses and they are long and unrealistic. Depends how much management likes you on what you're dealt and how much you make. You make management angry for any reason (ie, booking time off, they just generally dont like you, being sick etc) and you're screwed. I was sick and had many doctors saying I could not work and excusing me and then I got let go for other reasons they were saying that were so out of left field for me, i didnt even know where they came from. no severance pay, no notice, nothing. they just fire you.
you work 10 or 11 hours in a day and they dont pay you overtime for that day because you're somehow only at "39 hours for the week, you havent gone overtime for the week." when you track your hours you see they are shorting you.

The co-workers were awesome (and most warned me that the situation I just mentioned is how they handle things, or they cut your hours to make you want to quit so they do not have to give you severance) and I enjoyed working with ALL of them. Awesome girls who unfortunately are stuck in a dead end job for a multitude of reasons. I even generally like the office staff as people but it is hard to get past the lack of empathy from them. They have nice cars and nice houses and dont understand what its like to barely be able to pay car insurance
  more... on your old beater of a car much less to fix anything on it.

I was quite disappointed by the lack of car in terms of the customer. You do not care about the customer, you only care about making money. You get punished if a customer cannot afford the services anymore. No more bonus for you because they cant afford it. But "we want to make them want their houses cleaned more than they want cable or internet." YEAH RIGHT! Some of these customers were SOOOO overpaying and the employees fill out forms upon forms and the office does nothing because they do not want to loose money. and same goes for others, they were underpaying and the office does nothing because they do not want to lose the customer.

Hardest part of the job is justifying why you are doing the job. Why are you cleaning feces and urine for barely above minimum wage?

Most enjoyable part of the job? Going home at the end of the day.

Granted... a lot of the customers are amazing people and seeing them happy was a huge bonus. But on the other hand, is it worth being treated like scum by some of the other customers and even the staff? I think not.

I would never work at merry maids again. Nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. Unless it is your absolute LAST resort and youre willing to be a door mat so you can actually keep your job.
benefits
Cons
pay, random loss of hours or work altogether

2.7