Merry Maids

Merry Maids Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good company to work for.
Administrator (Former Employee), Owen Sound, ONJune 4, 2014
low stress job, you get to decorate gift baskets and smell yummy treats all day
Very physical and fast paced
Cleaner (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 25, 2014
Working at Merry Maids is a very physically demanding job. With each house we clean, there is a specific timeline in which we have to complete the job. It requires you to be able to multi task and interact with your clients. It did provide me with the satisfaction of helping others.
great place to work
House Cleaner (Former Employee), Red DeerMarch 2, 2014
Pros: employee of the month
Was a great place to work,I was a house cleaner,We were responsible for the cleanliness of many home and office spaces.As a great cleaner I received employee of the month for three of the months that i worked.
It's okay.
Residential Cleaner (Current Employee), ONOctober 28, 2013
It's an okay job, not something I want to do everyday. I don't really like it. It's cleaning 3-4 house a day. I've learned how to clean properly. Management is alright, some of the co-workers are iffy depends on who they are. The hardest part of the job is making sure its done right. The most enjoyable part is going home.
Fast-paced and fun work environment
In-home housekeeping (Former Employee), Halifax, NSApril 24, 2013
Pros: wonderful people
Cons: not enough money or hours
Working at Merry Maids was excellent. My co-workers were great and the management was organized and respectful. I enjoyed working with the people but the job entailed my driving all over Halifax/Dartmouth to clean houses. I didn't get many hours and the pay wasn't cutting it, so I moved back to Cape Breton to attend the Office Admin program at CBBC.
Full of liars and scammers
Teammate (Former Employee), Victoria BCFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: pay, random loss of hours or work altogether
You show up at the office in the morning around 8, and you stay until they tell you to. You are not done your last day until the last clean is finished, and then they may send you to help. very hard to schedule appointments around. Some days are great and easy with good payroll, and some are all underbid houses and they are long and unrealistic. Depends – more... how much management likes you on what you're dealt and how much you make. You make management angry for any reason (ie, booking time off, they just generally dont like you, being sick etc) and you're screwed. I was sick and had many doctors saying I could not work and excusing me and then I got let go for other reasons they were saying that were so out of left field for me, i didnt even know where they came from. no severance pay, no notice, nothing. they just fire you.
you work 10 or 11 hours in a day and they dont pay you overtime for that day because you're somehow only at "39 hours for the week, you havent gone overtime for the week." when you track your hours you see they are shorting you.

The co-workers were awesome (and most warned me that the situation I just mentioned is how they handle things, or they cut your hours to make you want to quit so they do not have to give you severance) and I enjoyed working with ALL of them. Awesome girls who unfortunately are stuck in a dead end job for a multitude of reasons. I even generally like the office staff as people but it is hard to get past the lack of empathy from them. They have nice cars and nice houses and dont understand what its like to barely be able to pay car insurance on your old beater of a car much less to fix anything on it.

I was quite disappointed by the lack of car in terms of the customer. You do not care about the customer, you only care about making money. You get punished if a customer cannot afford the services anymore. No more bonus for you because they cant afford it. But "we want to make them want their houses cleaned more than they want cable or internet." YEAH RIGHT! Some of these customers were SOOOO overpaying and the employees fill out forms upon forms and the office does nothing because they do not want to loose money. and same goes for others, they were underpaying and the office does nothing because they do not want to lose the customer.

Hardest part of the job is justifying why you are doing the job. Why are you cleaning feces and urine for barely above minimum wage?

Most enjoyable part of the job? Going home at the end of the day.

Granted... a lot of the customers are amazing people and seeing them happy was a huge bonus. But on the other hand, is it worth being treated like scum by some of the other customers and even the staff? I think not.

I would never work at merry maids again. Nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. Unless it is your absolute LAST resort and youre willing to be a door mat so you can actually keep your job. – less
The potential is great
Office Administrator/Retention specialist (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 12, 2012
Cons: no benifits and low wages
A typical day
- Double check the maid's schedule , following up on leads and sales calls the phone and email.

I have learned that setting clear boundaries and professionalism is essential to a management team.

My co workers work really hard at their job and deserve much more then our company was able to provide .

The hardest part of my job was my – more... relationship with my boss.

The customer service and capturing sales was my favorite part of the job – less
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Nanaimo,BCNovember 10, 2012
Pros: weekly paycheque, flexible hrs
Cons: exhausting work
Very organized,Mon-friday typical day is short but exhausting,weekely paycheque.
Maid/Cleaner
Merry Maid of the Valley (Current Employee), Greenwood, NSOctober 30, 2012
Pros: benifits, get paid for gas.
Cons: not enough money.
Get ready for the day, get everything together. Drive to the first house and you got to fill out some paper work with the miles and your time you started and ended. One parnter does wet the other does dry through out the house. We do everything from top to bottom. I love my job but Im looking to go out west and start making money.
Summer Part-Time (Former Employee), MississaugaApril 10, 2012
Working with merry maids, was a typical day to day occupancy. For myself it was a typical day at home- only cleaning and satifying other people. My management was a family memember- and it didnt really work out. My co-workers were awesome and we all helped eachother get the job done in time. The hardest part of the job was seeing cokmplete satisfaction – more... from client, although sometimes it was not easy, I can say that the job was always done right. HAving clients call back for another house cleaning job meant that we were satisfying ti them, and that was very enjoyable to myself and co-workers. – less
Great company.
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Cornwall, PE, CanadaMarch 4, 2012
Pros: completing the occasional day early.
Cons: not a full 8 hour day of work.
I loved working for this company but there was conflct with some management and switching up your teammates daily was frustrating.
I loved working for Merry Maids
Merrry "Maid (Current Employee), Victoria British Columbia CanadaFebruary 24, 2012
Pros: bonuses, perks, outings
Cons: not sure of work hours, very challenging expectations
I had worked for Merry Maids, and still am until Tuesday, they are a great employer, I am leaving because I was told by doctor I can no longer clean. which is to me very sad because I have not only gotten close to all the staff but to all the clients, they offer benefits, and bonuses, and are a great company to work for, anyone who got a position should – more... expect to work hard but be rewarded for it – less
Overall Job
Team Captain (Current Employee), Corvallis, ORAugust 25, 2014
This job is very very time consuming. Not any flexibility at all. You will never know when you get off because you are required to call around and ask other team members if they need help. half the time they do, even after you pulled your daily schedule. there is no overtime, you need at least a full tank of gas a week for work. You get reimbursed 26 – more... cents on the mile. The management is highly unprofessional round employees. They cuss and can approach problems in a non constructive way. They can be very rude and abrasive.On the positive side, the clients are always fun to get to know and develop relationships with and most of the girls are nice to work with. – less
Interesting but repetitive work.
Associate cleaner (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, GAAugust 21, 2014
The work itself is interesting but it is the same at every house I go to. So it's not boring but its not really engaging either. It is hard physical labor but I get to more or less set my own pace for the work I do.
Maid (Former Employee), pineville,laAugust 13, 2014
okay place just the company shut down,Washed and spot-cleaned furniture, blackboards, mirrors, wastebaskets and garbage cans, office machines and ashtrays.Polished furniture and metal fixtures.Gathered and emptied trash and recycling bins.Dusted and mopped all hard surfaces.Cleaned Venetian blinds, including washing and vacuuming them.Scraped gum off – more... of hard surfaces and carpet – less
Rewarding
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKAugust 6, 2014
I learned new ways to clean. It was rewarding to finish a job and the customer being satisfied with your work.
We cleaned peoples homes usually groups of two
Team Trainer (Former Employee), n.oakJuly 30, 2014
Pros: monday through friday andpaid weekly
Cons: no understanding from boss.
Each day was different not organized out. We would wait for our routes and than leave in our cars, straight to first house, we would have keys, garage codes or some were home. Clean top to bottom each room or rooms the home owner wanted. Finish each house take paperwork back to the office and fill all we used and clean our equipment. Than done for day.
Very Physical Job
Residential Cleaner (Former Employee), Laurel, MDJuly 23, 2014
Cleaning houses, sometimes really bad sometimes pretty clean. The hours in the day vaires. Nice to get out and about working in different areas. The hardest part of the job is the physical toll it takes but you get used to it after a couple weeks and then it is no big deal.
very nice job
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Lawton, OKJuly 21, 2014
Pros: very quiet and get to work alone
Cons: low pay
Come into work, get all cleaning supplies ready, sweep. mop and wax floors all day, move al furniture in rooms to clean and wax floors, put away all equipment at the end of the day.
Fun workplace.
HOUSE CLEANER (Former Employee), Pitman, NJJuly 8, 2014
It's fun when you don't have to clean the DIRTY houses but it's only a few. The rest of them are just your normal dirty. This job keeps you active and on your feet constantly, I loved that.

1 2 3 4 5

About Merry Maids

Merry Maids is happy to scrub, straighten, and sanitize. Founded in 1979, home cleaning company Merry Maids has more than 600 – Read more

Merry Maids Photos