Merrick & Company

Merrick & Company Employee Reviews

Great company and people!
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 6, 2016
I have worked at the Charlotte, NC office for almost 3 years now and I can assure you this is a great place to work.

The office atmosphere is fun but professional, and the employees are like family. Salary is very competitive, work schedule is flexible, and the managers are knowledgeable and understanding. Great opportunity to gain experience in multiple areas of civil design with a good mix of commercial/residential/public work. If you get the chance to apply for a job here, I would definitely take it.
Pros
Free lunches, fun work environment, flexible schedule, great employees, solid company
Awesome place to work, when there's work
Civil Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 27, 2016
When I worked there, it was a slow time of the year which left me without much work during my internship. I learned a lot about how to set up a construction document package and I got a lot of hands-on AutoCAD experience. Co-workers and management were all great people, and the culture here was top quality.
Below average firm...
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJuly 10, 2015
I spent about 17 years at Merrick and worked my way up to eventually hold a senior management position. It was in my later years that I discovered that Merrick is infiltrated with many unsavory individuals in middle and upper management who portray themselves as funny, outgoing, and trust worthy, but, in reality, once you see their dark side, your perception of them changes dramatically. The politics and back stabbing that happens at the upper middle and senior management levels by several people, including the current COO is very disturbing. Additionally, the company has fallen on hard times over the past several years with huge layoffs. Those that weren't laid off saw the writing on the wall and left on their own accord to better firms. Pay raises and bonuses were suspended (except for upper management), and the matching 401k was taken away as well. If you have other options for employment I encourage you to pursue them in lieu of Merrick. Honestly, I think you'll end up regretting it if you sign on with them.
Pros
Some team members were fun to work with.
Cons
Very Political middle and upper management.
Does not live up to the hype
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAApril 23, 2015
The web site looks good and they talk up a good game, but once your are on the inside you discover a company overrun with people willing to throw others under the bus to advance their self serving agendas at the middle and upper management level. There were some good folks that I worked with (mainly in the trenches that actually do work), but most have moved on also because of this culture. Those who go the extra mile are rarely recognized unless it is of direct benefit to those at the top. Employee moral is low and turnover is high - need I say more?
Pros
Interesting work at times
Cons
Low to average pay, health insurance below par for a company this size, retirement plan will be suspended at will if company is not making enough money
Difficult environment for Architects
Architect (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, ColoradoJune 17, 2014
Management perceives Architecture as an ancillary entity needed to support its Engineering efforts. Marketing excludes the pursuit of Architectural jobs and a lot of Architecture work is farmed out to outside firms. The office is a Project Management centric firm leaving little to no room for creative solutions or contact with clients. Work load varies greatly month to month due to client being the US government and marketing unable to pursue work beyond the US Government. Firm is not set up to pursue outside work and susceptible to frequent layoffs and hiring exercises. Management will not hesitate to lay people off at the first sign of slow down, which is often. A lot of good people work there but firm is incredibly top heavy with large overhead structure in place.
Pros
alot of good people work there, salaries are above normal
Cons
management. marketing effort is short sighted. frequent layoffs.
Professional Organization for Engineering Services
Project Control Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMDecember 29, 2013
A typical day at work was busy and productive.
Over the years I started by entering time sheets and progressed in many area ending as a Project Control Analyst III.
Open door type management.
Co-workers worked in a team environment with the main goal was to provide excellent services to clients.
The hardest part of the job with the fast pace work involved.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the good working relationships with co-workers.
Design Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CONovember 3, 2013
Merrick is committed to the success of its employees.
The work is challenging and rewarding.
There are many opportunities to volunteer and participate in activities outside of work at the corporate headquarters location.
Good group of people
Architect II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 29, 2013
I learned a lot in the short time I was with Merrick. I really enjoyed the team I worked with.
Pros
i worked with good people
Cons
architecture group not very well supported by corporate
average place to work
Architect III (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, ColoradoJuly 12, 2013
Excellent Staff, To much overhead staff, poor management. Management is unaware of the work that is accomplished by staff and has a tendency to layoff from income staff and not from overhead-to many leaders. Working with the clients and fellow workers a plus, management a negative
Supervised 4 individuals
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver Tech Center, COJune 14, 2013
Worked on a very time sensitive project. Client was concerned about some quality issues on design documents. Under my leadership, the team was able to reduce comments by 300% within one years time.
Pros
good people to work with.
Cons
tight delivery schedule.
Poorly Managed
Civil Engineer II (Current Employee) –  CharlotteMay 20, 2013
The office environment is very low key, bordering on unprofessional. The management is lacking experiencing in anything but residential work. Residential work has been the core of the Charlotte office, low profit, high work load. Projects are poorly managed, with little accountability. Management is weak and inexperienced. If you are looking to improve your career, look somewhere else.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
poor management, low compensation
Flexible hours and friendly environment. Great company to work for.
Civil Designer II (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COMay 8, 2013
I worked a six month contract with Merrick & Company. They were an excellent company to work with. They work with your schedule, and I personally didn't have a single bad experience working with them. They allow employees to learn new things, and they treat everyone as professionals no matter what stage of your career you may be at.
Pros
friendly environment and work with individual's schedule.
Cons
work load was up and down.
Great pay, very demanding and poor family environment.
Engineering (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 5, 2013
In Ga, Nothing good about this super dry work environment. All of the project mgrs and especially the office mgr (former proj mgr) are cut throat. All they care about is how good you make them look. Seems like fellow coworkers are walking on egg shells. If proj mgrs don't like you for any reason, you will not get work. True example, They will always wait "last minute" for completing deadlines, to minimize charging hours to the project. More than often, 5 minutes before you finish your scheduled 8 they will "ask" you to work over 1-2 hrs and sometimes till midnight or bring work home and work on weekends and question you with "side comments" about charging hours to the project that you actually work. Even if you are part-time you hear side comments about why you leave after your 6. If you don't comply, you will suffer later. They say they are family friendly? NOT, Wait and see how family friendly they are. These are my experiences there so if you don't have a family and you don't mind the pettiness then you will thrive. Don't say you not warned!
Pros
excellent pay, benefits are very good.
Cons
micro-managers with alot of power, money matters-employees don't
Great People, Great Work, Great Vision
Project Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 17, 2013
I enjoyed working with Merrick and Company. Unlike most large corporations, this one really focuses on the individual and their contribution to the whole.
Pros
great work environment and culture.
Cons
large fiscal dependancy on federal contracts.
Great learning experience, International employee pool
AutoCAD drafter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 25, 2012
Working for a consulting engineering firm gives access to a variety of engineering disciplines. Enjoyed working with people
from many countries. Great learning experience on all fronts.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
inconsistant mid-leadership

2.6