Meredith Corporation Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
relaxing environment in a basement studio
Photography Assistant (Current Employee), Des Moines, IASeptember 10, 2012
Pros: free lunches for photoshoots that are for big name clients, such as kraft foods or wal-mart, getting to work in a creative environment
Cons: no healthcare for photography assistants
Meredith is a fairly large company, employees number to about 3,200, that's however withholding all freelance art directors and photographers that make the rounds quite frequently. The photo studio in Meredith's basement is best described as a giant warehouse divided into a dozen or so sets to accommodate constantly scheduled photo shoots for the many magazines the company publishes.

Days start at 8:00am so I'm usually there a bit before to begin setting up the scheduled photoshoot for the day. I start with lighting, then hauling in a sweep, and usually finish with setting up the camera. Throughout the shoot I bring my photographer or the art directors on set whatever they request and make sure everything runs smoothly.

The environment is very relaxed and enjoyable to be in. There are eight photographers and an assistant to match. All of us get along in great moods and help the other out if one shoot is lagging and another had been cut short earlier in the day.

The greatest part of Meredith is the diversity that comes with each day. On monday I'll be in the test garden in downtown Des Moines assisting a strawberry plant photoshoot and on tuesday I'll be on the road to Andalusia, Illinois, en route to a shoot for a woodworking magazine.
Fast paced pace to work with times of high stress
Engineer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2015
Pros: Friendly work environment; being involved in fast paced work
Cons: 24/7 operation; working holidays
Work consisted of a 5 1/2 hour newscast Monday-Friday in the morning; or 4 hour newscast on the weekend in the morning if doing news production duties. The newscast was followed about 45 minutes to an hour later by the recording of a daily hour-long 'lifestyle' program Monday-Friday which included many different guest segments, some of which were paying clients to showcase their businesses. Television operations consisted of the constant preparation of programs to be made ready for 'on-air'. In addition, the overall monitoring of several television stations which were being run out of the facility(which at one time was 4 stations). I learned how to work with varying personalities and attitudes towards work during my time of employment. The most difficult part of the job was probably how monotonous it could become, but what job doesn't have this possibility. The most enjoyable part of the job was being left for the most part to do your job without too much supervision. Each person new their job function and what was expected of them on a daily basis.
Working at Meredith
Custodian (Former Employee), Lima, OhFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: good environment, good pay for starting out
Cons: downtown lima area
A typical day would start off with cleaning all doorknobs, phones and light switches in all the offices. Then, dusting all furniture but not disturbing anything on the attorney's desks. Vaccumming the carpets was usually next. Then, cleaning the break room and the bathrooms.
I learned about hard work and the importance of cleaning every office (especially during cold and flu season).
I did not have to deal with management much, but when I did they were great.
My co-workers were my mother and sister. So, it was not bad working with them.
The hardest part of the job was the constant heavy lifting and moving of furniture.
The enjoyable part was being able to do the cleaning on weekends.
high-energy work place where creative juices are constantly flowing!
Traditional Home, Associate Publisher (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: overall well-rounded company with many benefits
Cons: more resources needed in the marketing area
Meredith Corporation provided an opportunity to move between its brands and to advance within the brands that I worked on. There is a good corporate culture with many groups working collaboratively to sell in programs and fulfill client needs. The hardest part of the job was finding enough time to develop and deliver the great ideas we had for our clients. The most enjoyable job was working with a great, dedicated team committed to doing their best everyday.
Fun environment
Assistant to the Publisher (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 8, 2015
Pros: creative; opportunity to work on different aspects of publishing
Worked with the Publishing Director/Publisher of several shelter magazine. As his assistant, I managed his calendar, travel, expenses and other administrative work, as necessary.
I loved working with the PD as he was very knowledgeable, a forward-thinker, creative and caring. He allowed me the opportunity to work on several projects with the Marketing/Promotion department when I expressed interest.
There was an atmosphere of camaraderie throughout the office and this was one of the first times I experienced in publishing in which the Editor and the Publisher got along and had great respect for each other.
When the magazine was sold, I went with the Publisher to another publishing company.
You're committing career suicide if you accept a job in Atlanta! Don't do it!!!
Former Employee (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 25, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, new technology
Cons: See list below....apply at your own risk!
Top 10 Reasons

1. Low paying jobs in a Top 10 market
2. No advancement
3. No job security
4. Low morale
5. Mediocre management
6. No innovation, creativity -- Constant change every other year!
7. Discipline first, ask questions later.
8. No training or mentors
9. Young staff with no veterans
10. Constant revolving door (management, staff)
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Freelance Video Editor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 14, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, solidarity, work-flow
Cons: Lack of communication, hours
After working in the news industry for only a few months it doesn't take much for you to become jaded by news. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and everyone was very friendly even during crunch-time. The pay-rate was nice based upon the job requirements that were asked of myself. It is a solid starting-job to have if you are looking to take the next step career-wise.
Stagnant advancement and mediocore pay
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers
Cons: Very unorganized management, terrible and overpriced insurance
Fix everything that the news department breaks while being pulled away by numerous people paging you that they broke more things. Deal with 2 bosses that never talk to each other and they both think they are the ultimate authority about EVERYTHING. And....you're at half-staffing. Life's a peach.
Co-workers are great. Manager is not very knowledgable.
Master Control/Ingest Operator/Satellite Feeds (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 30, 2013
Pros: great health rewards for healthy living.
Cons: low pay. horrible traffic.
Pay is low for volume of work expected. Co-workers worked as a team. Pod are set up horribly. Noise level is unbearable. Manager had no previous experience with broadcast stations or a Hub and therefore was not great. She was very high strung.
Magazine publishing company
Freelance/Production Artist, Wood Magazine (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: very flexible work schedule
Cons: no health benifits
Currently, my position mainly consists of working with these computer programs; Word, Excel, Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. I reformat published magazine material so it can be used by our Web design team to create Web pages for Wood Magazine.
Very conservative company, very low tolerance for risk
Vice President of Finance (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 5, 2013
Pros: stable company with good benefits
Cons: no opportunities for advancement
A typical day included providing financial guidance to the regional offices and general managers on both financial and business opportunities. On a monthly basis i provided a high level update to the CEO. Participated in evaluation of strategic acquisitions.
positive and relaxed culture focused on customer service first
Manager, Stylist, Merchandiser (Current Employee), Brisbane, QLDMarch 21, 2015
Pros: clothing allowance
Cons: job security
This company is fantastic to work for. They do not micro manage their employees, instead allow them to spread their wings and excessive their natural sales and customer service skills, while nurturing them.

It is a pleasure working at Meredith Clothing.
Collaborative Culture
Marketing Director (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 4, 2015
Pros: collaborative, culture, ability to move within company
Cons: lean and mean staff/budgets, don't give raises every year
Spent many years in many different positions in the company and have nothing but great experiences and memories. It's a smart forward-thinking company that continues to remain relevant in today's media landscape.
Hard working and creative people
editor (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 13, 2016
I was surrounded by some great minds at this company and glad to have worked there when I did. The environment was a sea of beige, but we managed to look past that when creating content for monthly magazines. I will miss the views!
Meredith is evolving daily
sales (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2015
Pros: open, honest, great brands
Cons: not growing topline revenue fast enough
Great brand roster that is evolving to meet the changing desires of the American female reader that the company serves so well.
Great camaraderie among the employees.
Top execs are very open and honest about the finances and the expectations.
Productive and great learning experience
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 2, 2013
I was there a short time period but was able to learn a lot about the PR sector of Meredith by shadowing a PR professional, going on go-sees, helping plan activities and event for clients, and compiling data from previous PR events
great brands with a focus on consolidation
Corporate Director (Current Employee), Troy, MIJune 4, 2015
Pros: great brands that are important to readers
Cons: very heavily weighted to print
Meredith has some great brands and the company is very sound financially. I expect to see Meredith add brands going forward as it continues to be a consolidator in the market.
Great Workplace
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 27, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and work enviornment
Cons: Volitile field that has many layoffs and magazine closings
Company treats you well with many benefits. Upper level management are accessible and agreeable people. Everyone takes work very seriously but most add fun within and outside the workplace.
Major publishing/media company
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee), Los AngelesSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: an established publishing / medica company
Cons: revolving door for sales support.
Sales executives are kings and are compensed well. The assistants and coordinator are not compensed or given bonuses.

Management does not support administrative staff and make unreasonable demands and at time with no compensation.
Ok place to work but very unstable
Business Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 26, 2012
Cons: management makes poor decisions
I worked here briefly. Meredith is not a stable company so don't intend to stay here long as they will lay you off in a second!