Please email your resume directly to:
The organization has implemented an Enterprise Architecture vision that will transform the technology landscape to a more robust, scalable, and flexible architecture. Some of the major components of this new architecture include an Enterprise Data Model (EDM), Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), an Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), a Business Process Management System (BPMS), Business Rule Engine (BRE), and a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
The technology includes a high-speed private network within and across 2 data centres; a dynamic tiered storage platform; a “virtually optimal” server grid leveraging a comprehensive VMware implementation, including a Linux and Windows configuration; Java and C++ for proprietary and integration coding; and a best of breed combination of open source and commercial products for middleware, business process and relationship management, and information management.
The role of the Information Architect is to expand the company’s use of data as a strategic enabler of corporate goals and objectives. The Information Architect role will oversee and drive the overall directions on information models, ontology/taxonomy and data management required to support IT goals and strategy. The individual will ensure delivery of IT/IT architecture solutions that are compliant with relevant EA architecture principles, directions, standards, blueprints and roadmaps.
The Information Architect will achieve this by strategically designing, developing, and implementing data models for enterprise-level applications and systems. This individual will act as the primary advocate of data modeling methodologies and data processing best practices.
The role will be accountable for the development of architecture standards, roadmaps and blueprints for information architecture and for the ongoing refinement of current and future state architectures for the relevant data domains. The role will understand implications of IT architecture requirements to ‘As-Is’ architectures and define/update ‘To-Be’ architectures applying architecture guiding principles.
The role will guide and support other architects (including third party suppliers) in the development and documentation of Data architectures for complex and business critical projects. The role will direct the Architecture function in ensuring and approving common data architecture decisions are implemented consistently across the enterprise.
The Information Architect will also support solution development efforts originating from projects, participate in IT initiatives and provide active guidance and value for better planning and decision making.
The role will be aware of IT/IT industry trends and will proactively identify issues that may arise and oversee the effort for their resolution and documentation.
Delivery is accomplished using an Agile-Scrum approach, including self-organization, short iterations, strong collaboration, and dedicated teams in scrum rooms.
Duties, Responsibilities and Job Functions
- Passion for Customers – Individual is focused on current and future needs of multiple customers across the whole of the company.
- Strategic thinking – Thinks innovatively and long-term about our industry and not just our company. Creates plans to support the current and future operating model of the company.
- Acts decisively – creates the climate for decision-making and acts decisively
- Driving performance – anticipates and removes barriers, enabling and inspiring team to deliver and perform, help deliver solutions for the enterprise
- Works collaboratively – is courageous in identifying and addressing issues that may inhibit effective cross-functional collaboration
- Develops People – individual is invested in the long-term development of people by establishing challenging development opportunities aimed at helping people grow.
- Ability to influence - Demonstrated ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Determine overall modeling standards, guidelines, best practices and approved modeling techniques.
- Supervise the creation of all conceptual, logical and physical data models.
- Review proposed data models contained in packaged or commercially available applications before they are bought.
- Supervise data integration, business intelligence (BI) and enterprise information management programs by rationalizing data processing to support reuse.
- Identify the data assets that are deemed significant to the enterprise, as determined by the business impact, decision impact, risk mitigation or organizational impact of the information.
- Model the future state of the data architecture and provide data architecture best practices and guidelines.
- Establish metrics for tracking and measuring the value of data architecture initiatives. For example, measuring model reuse, impact on project costs or improved data consistency across diverse initiatives.
- Establish data security standards across all data repositories and systems.
- Establish processes for governing the identification, collection, and use of corporate metadata; take steps to assure metadata accuracy and validity.
- Conduct data capacity planning, life cycle, duration, usage requirements, feasibility studies, and other tasks. Identify and develop opportunities for data reuse, migration, or retirement.
- Create strategies and plans for data security, backup, disaster recovery, business continuity, and archiving.
- Assess and determine governance, stewardship, and frameworks for managing data across the organization.
- Document the data architecture and environment in order to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger data picture. Model the future state of the data architecture and provide data architecture best practices and guidelines.
- Consult with application or infrastructure development projects to harmonize systems or infrastructure with EA, and identify when it is necessary to modify the solution architecture to accommodate project needs.
- Ensure that all architecture design and analysis work is documented in a structured fashion matching the EA framework and is stored in a common place.
- Provide insight drawn from experience on how best to address functional and technical challenges
- Continuously update knowledge of technology industry and tolling industry advancements and best practices
- Provide meaningful communication of alternative solutions and appropriateness of solution selected
- Gather information internally and externally, evaluate alternatives, and propose best practices to be used
- Perform proof-of-concepts and prototypes to inform architectural decision-making
- Min 8 years work experience as a data or information architect.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in areas such as teamwork, facilitation and negotiation
- Excellent analytical and technical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Ability to translate business needs into evolving Information architecture requirements and define multiple solution options to business problems
- Knowledge of key aspects of enterprise architecture and the business
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Knowledge of BI and analytics, including ODS, Data Warehouse / Mart management and development.
- Excellent knowledge of information principles and policies
- Solid understanding of network and data center architecture, as well as capacity planning and retention methodologies
- Hands-on experience with data architecting, data mining, large-scale data modeling, and business requirements gathering/analysis.
- Hands-on knowledge of enterprise repository tools, data modeling tools, data mapping tools, and data profiling tools.
- Demonstrated expertise with repository creation, and data and information system life cycle methodologies including identifying data anomalies.
- Strong understanding of relational and NOSQL data structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices, methodologies and laws including data security compliance with PCI DSS and ISO 27002 frameworks.
- Extensive experience with various versions of database platforms, including Oracle, DB2 and MS SQL.
- Extensive knowledge of structured and unstructured data, such as entities, classes, hierarchies, relationships, metadata management and associated search techniques and processes
- Understanding of SOA, object-oriented analysis and design, or mainstream models and patterns
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Working knowledge of Agile methodologies including Scrum, and Kanban
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments
- Experience with automated unit testing tools and best practices
- Working knowledge of Windows, Linux, and AIX operating systems
- Able to handle multiple projects in a fast paced environment
- Team player and can work independently
- University degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Please email your resume directly to:
Indeed - 10 months ago