Menchie's Frozen Yogurt Employee Reviews

productive and fun workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON1 May 2017
A job at Menchie's Frozen Yogurt is a great job for students, part-time or for simply to start as a new job with no previous experiences.
It's fun, easy and a great way to gain skills in customer service, communication, and team work. Along with experiences in cashier, cleaning maintenance and food production. A typical day in nice weather can be busy with rushes of customers and promotions of coupons and other store advertisements giving your day with lots to do but the hours going by faster. for colder seasons, it's usually slower with fewer customers. Management is well kept, giving employers an open mind and to use "good judgement" on store products and with problem- solving. There is always a person, usually the supervisor, to help manage the restaurant. There isn't much anything hard about this job, it's all basic. the most I can say by my experience is keeping tabs on each customers groupons in the dialog entry, since there is so many it can be hard to find. It can all be simple with well and exceptional training. The most enjoyable part of the job is making samples of treats to be occasionally set as a topping for yogurt in the kitchen, and being very creative, could even come up with your own treat approved by management for customers to try.
Pros
miminume wages, some days slower than others, long hours of standing
Cons
great job for beginners to gain teamwork, communication, and customer service skills for the first time. working with fun people, making yogurt and making occasional toppings, always something to do with/without a rush of customers
It's chill
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON18 March 2017
Make yougurt, clean the shop, and interacting with customers is pretty much the job. Overall it's pretty easy and simple work. Free yougurt is cool too.
Very friendly and a family environment
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC1 February 2017
Co workers are very kinda and easy to work with and connect with. I love the happy atmosphere you have when walking in the store. Ive learned how to manage difficult costumers since the manager was never in the store
Pros
Free yogurts
Cons
Fun work environment, great job advancement opportunities
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 December 2016
Menchie's is a wonderful place to work. Always fun and rewarding interacting with customers. Great work environment and chance to grow within company.
Pros
Free $5 yogurt
Cons
Managment
Great
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB21 November 2016
Ive been working for this company for almost 3 years. Itès a fun working environment. I have hired great people to work for me.
Menchies
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 November 2016
You make the yogurt, prepare and fill the toppings, janitorial things like mopping, cleaning the washrooms, wiping windows etc.
It's been a while so I don't know about it anymore.
A progressive team with enthusiastic young adults
Customer Service (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 November 2016
• Cashier
• Answering questions and concerns from customers' calls
• Keeping store clean and organized
This job improved my availabilities of working in a fast-paced work environment and gave me insight into how to deal with different people in order to meet customers' needs.
Self-Serve Frozen Yogurt Shop
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 September 2016
Overall my day includes opening the store, directly interacting with customers, maintaining the stores cleanliness, inventory, presentation to customers, ensuring staff is working properly/on-time/in uniform. I e-mail business partners i.e new product coming in to store- I set up a new account with them, get new products delivered to store, essentially I am running the store- doing everything except physically paying the bills.
Pros
I enjoy managing others, I know I am capable of doing so and excelling at it.
Cons
For the work I am putting in, it simply does not reflect in my pay.
Easy and flexible, but sometimes boring
Mixologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2016
A typical day consisted of preparing yogurt and toppings, cleaning machines when they ran out of yogurt, working the cash register, and washing dishes. Before closing the store, you had to clean all the spoons and put away all the cold toppings, sweep and mop the floors, take out the trash, and count the till. When I worked here, two of us closed the store, and it usually took about half an hour after closing to finish the duties. One of us would clean all the spoons, etc., while the other would close the tills. You generally wanted to be the person closing the till.

As long as there weren't people in the store, we were allowed to sample yogurt and toppings. We were also allowed $5.50 worth of yogurt every shift. We were given an apron that we got to keep, as well as a t-shirt. We were allowed a half hour break every shift, as long as we clocked out. I mainly worked 4 hour shifts, and I was still allowed breaks.

The whole job was pretty laid-back. I rarely saw my manager, since she worked mornings and I only worked evenings. As far as I knew, nobody ever got fired because it's pretty hard to mess up. During winter, it's extremely slow. This made some shifts pretty painful, but all my coworkers were really nice and fun to talk to.

We had an empty schedule sitting under the till, and basically we would fill out what days we could work and cross out what days we couldn't. Most of the time you could get the days off that you wanted.
Since there weren't a lot of people working there, it was pretty hard getting your shift covered. Most of the time it was impossible.

more...
Washing the dishes wasn't too bad, since you were mainly just washing fruit off stuff. So no bad smells, etc. My main issue was that the detergent/sanitizer was really hard on my hands. It was so bad that I actually ended up getting eczema. There were rubber gloves, but the sink was often filled up enough that water would get inside them anyways.

Overall, it was an easy job. My main issues were with scheduling and the detergent being hard on my hands.
Pros
Free yogurt, laid-back, flexible schedule, easy work
Cons
Boring during winter, hard to get shifts covered, detergent bad for sensitive skin
Great experience
Shift Lead supervisor (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON27 May 2016
I learned a lot of responsibility being a supervisor.
Making cakes and serving customers (lots of families) was the most enjoyable.
Daily tasks included;
- food prep
- cake making
- store cleaning
- serving customers
- cash (counting at the end of the day, cash drop)
- closing (key holder)
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
no difference in pay for supervisor
Ok job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2016
Management wasn't great, little training, and they try to keep costs down by giving everyone little hours.
Employees were nice.
my location was beside 3 schools, and I was always scheduled alone on Fridays during busy hours.
Hardest part of the job was cleaning yogurt machines.
Most enjoyable part of the job was free yogurt during shift.
Pros
free yogurt
Cons
poor managment
Fun and welcoming place to work at
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON26 April 2016
Working at Menchie's has been one of my favourite jobs so far. Everybody gets along and is willing to help one another and the environment is one that is welcoming and makes you feel like you're part of a community. Even if it gets really busy and hectic, I can always count on my co-workers to step up and I know that everything is taken care of. The management is good too, they're understanding when we have personal commitments or problems but when things get out of hand or people are being unreasonable, they are polite and handle things in a professional manner in order to keep the store and employees running smoothly.
Fun
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON17 March 2016
Easy work, picked up many valuable and transferable skills. Caring co-workers. Fun place to work for a first job, part-time or as a student.
Pros
Easy work, music, nice people
Cons
long hours, poor management, repetitive
Great work experience
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 March 2016
I am very grateful for the opportunity that Menchie's provided me to run two of his Menchie's stores in Victoria, BC. I had the privilege to open the stores from scratch, being in contact with providers, contractors, hiring and training staff, etc..
I strengthened my understanding of customer service, business development, management, fundraising, event planning and marketing strategies.
I have executed successful campaigns and created strong partnerships with clients and vendors related to the industry like the University of Victoria, Camosun College, Harbour Cats baseball team, Rifflandia Music Festival, V.I Fitness, Color Me Mine, schools, non-profit organizations, community sports teams, among others. All of my efforts led to increased notoriety, sales and profit for Menchie’s.
Pros
Open Scheduled
Cons
Long hours, weekends, holidays
Enjoyable fun environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2016
- Greet every single customer with a smile and ask to assist them in anyway
- Multi-task efficiently
- All age co-workers learned new ways and different way to complete a task safely and effectively
Pros
Free frozen yogurt
Cons
Little hours
Fun Place to come every morning
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON9 November 2015
I love coming into work. I am my own boss and people look to me for guidance.
I come in and get all my admin duties done, then move onto machine maintenance, costumer service and then food prep. I get to do a little of everything every day.
The stores that i run are not over staffed so building a rapport with people is not difficult to do. We all know eachother and most importantly, respect eachother.
Pros
Free Froyo on my shift
Cons
New enough hours to give out during the off season
Great place
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON29 October 2015
This place has very high energy and great staff to work around. A typical day or evening shift consisted of cleaning... and lots of it. The place was always spotless. We always had to make sure that every customer enjoyed their time with us and left with a smile on their face.
Pros
Free yogurt
Cons
Late nights
Productive and engaging working environment
CSR/Mixologist (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON10 September 2015
At Menchie's, I had the opportunity to work alongside very many talented and friendly individuals. We worked as a team to make sure customer's had a memorable experience, and we would always see familiar faces! I enjoyed this job because I was able to interact with a wide variety of people and allow myself to experience a true customer service position that will benefit me in my future. The hardest part about the job was not being able to have longer conversations with customers due to long line ups, because many of them were so friendly and it was always a pleasure to have nice conversations with nice people. While working at Menchie's Frozen Yogurt, I learned how to be an efficient and hardworking member in a fast paced working environment.
Pros
Free yogurt after/during every shift, and 25% discount when not working
Cons
Not enough hours because there were many employees
Good first job with some benefits but poor management
Junior Mixologist (Former Employee) –  ON26 July 2015
My typical day at Menchies being a Junior Mixologist included:

-Checking what yogurts needed to be filled and then making them
-Doing the dishes
-Cutting fruits
-Filling all the toppings
-Being a cashier
-Cutting brownies & nanimo bars
-Cleaning tables
-Making customers happy
+ other things

Sometimes I'd come in and I'd have to make waffle bowls, and if I was opening a shift we had to clean 1 machine, which held 2 yogurts.

I liked my job a lot. But the manager was never around, we always had to do things ourselves. We would very often run out of fruit, especially strawberries, which is our #1 topping which lead customers to be very unhappy. Also, we'd run out of the ingredients we NEEDED to make certain yogurts, so he would tell us to 'just go without it' or to not refill the yogurt. Along with that, if we didn't run out of fruit, the fruit would be all mouldy/squishy, but he told us to just cut those parts off and put it out anyways.

No one wanted to work when I was hired so I got tons of shifts, but then once the college/university students finished their 1st semester, they all wanted to work so myself and the other highschoolers' hours got completely CUT. I went from working 7 hour shifts (or 6 once winter hours began) & some opening shifts on weekends, to only working 2/3 hour shifts on weekdays and MAYBE a weekend shift. Also, once it became winter no one wanted frozen yogurt so there was not much to do.

The owner was never involved, as he lived in another province.

The manager left out tons of stuff while training me and then got irritated when
  more... I didn't know I was supposed to do certain things.

My co workers, for the most part, were amazing, hilarious people that I miss a lot. They taught me a lot of things and were always so understanding.
Pros
Free shift yogurt, 25% off purchases when you're not working and for your family, cashier experience
Cons
Management, training
All aspects of job were amazing but....
Mixologist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 June 2015
Everything besides management, at both the Orleans location and Merivale location, was pretty good. No complaints besides dealing with management issues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Menchie's Frozen Yogurt. Our community is ready to answer.

Menchie's Frozen Yogurt Reviews by Location