Memorial University Employee Reviews

its was interesting
Technical assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL5 October 2016
it was a great experience honestly i have acquired more knowledge. i have worked with a great team the management must importantly my co-workers were helpful at anytime i need them at work.
everything is good
University Centre Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 June 2016
part-time jobs in Memorial University are really good paid, and nice working environment, learning knowledge about management, and improving communication skills and writing skills with co-workers
Good Workplace
Senior Buyer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL5 November 2013
Typical Day at work- Purchasing anything from a gas cyclinder to a Spectrometer for Labs.

Learned to be a team member and communicate on a professional level with Project Managers and Managers/ Directors

Co-Workers are great

Hardest part of the job is maintaining and making sure your orders are placed and following up on them from open to closed

Most enjoyable part of the job is when seeing a final project that you did all the purchasing for is completed and up and running.
Pros
A Steady Mon- Fri job
Cons
Salary is too low for the amount of work.
Awesome place to work
Writing Centre Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 February 2016
This place is great. I love it. I have learned so much working here. The management and coworkers are great. Some sessions are difficult. I love helping my peers with writing.
Pleasant, youthful environment. Instructional staff members are poorly respected.
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 September 2014
Unless you're a faculty member, you have very little benefits and salaries are well below industry standards. Memorial seems to be losing touch with the fact that it's primary purpose is to teach and harbour good research. It's sad to see it disrespectful to so many good instructional staff and make no attempt to retain them.
Great
Accounting / Payroll (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 April 2016
its was a awesome place to work and to get to learn different things Iearned so much in 4 short weeks while I was on my work tearm
fun
Banquet server (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 April 2016
memorial is a fun place to work, the employer is very accommodative of the employees. I would recomend memorial to any one
Enjoyed exploring various tools at work
Project Team Member (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 March 2016
Developed a good professional experience at various institute and in various project.
Worked under professors and supervised students.
Resident Assistant
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL16 January 2016
Poor management, down hill slope in the residence community for a considerably long time now. Local management is fine, however Student Services is a disorganized bunch.
Fun workplace with great coworkers
Off-Campus Helper (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL10 January 2016
I really enjoy working as an Off-campus housing helper, it probably is the best job. Basically I help organize events, register for the students, and assist in outdoor events.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Excellent Place to work
Stenographer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 June 2013
Great benefits, great working environment, excellent holiday schedule!
Pros
Christmas Off
Cons
Some disorganization
learning facility
Secretary (Contract) (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 January 2016
every department I worked was a learning experience. they took the time to learn me new skills. I learned different data bases co-workers were really friendly and very helpful
Great first experience in a post-secondary environment
Library Clerk/ Support Staff (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 October 2015
Working in a high-paced, post-secondary environment taught me the value of managing my time and allowed me to get some hands-on experience.
Pros
opportunities to learn
Cons
lack of advancement
Pleasant students, good facilities, helpful co-workers
Course Instructor (English Second Language) (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 June 2013
A typical day at work was quite busy because of time constraints and the pressure to prepare students for a difficult exam. I learned that you can transfer your experience to different situations.. The management trusted in your ability to do the job and my co-workers were congenial and helpful,,The hardest part of the job was the class preparation and correction
Pros
Interested students, helpful co-workers
Cons
Crowded staff areas, sharing desks, no designated work area
Duable work place with little experience
Computer Administrator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 September 2015
-Assisting students accessing their Labnet accounts.
-co-workers are very nice team and helpful.
-most enjoyable part of the job is solving technical problems.
Pros
study during work
Cons
opening ealry morning
great place to work
Millwright (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 August 2014
great place

Installed, and serviced industrial pumps, motors, piping components and Water Treatment equipment. Prepare invoices and receipts to clients before and after each service call. Maintained inventory in the warehouse and ordered supplies as needed via telephone and email. Also, I would safely unload and load trucks with supplies and equipment using a forklift while ensuring quality control and documenting as required.e to work, good people, stress freee
Loving and Knowledgable
Research Assistant for Graduate students, ISWEP (Current Employee) –  Department of Biochemistry15 April 2015
The day I need to take pictures of about 80 histology slides, microscope was literally a hard task to handle.Finally I managed with the help of a Post Doc in my laboratory.
Good Team co-operation.
Discussion of scientific aspects with my scientist was enjoyable.
Reserach and development
Research And Development (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 March 2014
I worked with minimal supervision. While this was good at times it was difficult at others as i had very few people to ask questions when they came up. I had to teach myself how to use various programs such as Soldworks. Overall this was a fun job, i learned a lot. I also managed to use Ms Excel to come up with an algorithm to deduce pressures and accelerations of the hull.
Pros
set own hours
Cons
there was never a set "end" to ones tasks/day
very good work environment
International Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 September 2014
• Organized travel plans for recruiters’ regional and international trips.
• Maintained and updated the prospective student database to enable follow up procedures.
• Developed and presented campus tours for prospective students.
very active environment
InternationaL student assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 January 2014
i really enjoyed my time at the office, was able to interact with students from very diverse background. typical day involved giving prospective students campus tours, following up on students' information requests.

4.4