Medicine Hat Co-op Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Worst place i have ever worked at.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABMarch 10, 2016
Pros: met some good people.
Cons: bad pay, negative environment, long hours on your feet.
Management talks about employees to other employees, including the store manager who will openly discuss staff in the break room. Staff are constantly complaining and gossiping about each other. Hours are cut as low as 6 hours a week in certain areas only. The store manager is rude and arrogant and has no business being in this position. You pay union dues to a union that negotiates a minimum wage contract for you and does nothing to improve your working environment.
Management is the wrost
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Medicine Hat, ABFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: the co-works
Cons: management
Management talk about their employees. They like to cut hours with out letting you know. If you try to talk to the store manager nothing gets done about the issues.
Management are truly bullies at Co-op in Medicine hat.
Not impressed
Cashier (Former Employee), Medicine hatJuly 10, 2015
Pros: New friends, simple tasks, nice regulars
Cons: Negative people, under appreciated, bad pay, bad organization
Your managers won't appreciate you or praise you, they won't care when you can work or not if they have already made the schedule. They will gossip in the staff room and will undermine you on the sales floor in front of customers. Everyone knows everyone's business nothing is confidential. Great co-workers but when one little thing goes wrong everyone panics. It takes a long time to get your wage up but they will tell you different. Its not worth the pay and stress. Most of the people there hate their job and want to leave or they are stuck there. Its really not worth your time unless your'e looking for something very temporarily.
Decent workplace, okay management.
Cashier (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Easy work, Decent Customers to work with, Central Location
Cons: Long & Slow nights, Little to no chance for O/T, little to no chance for advancement.
Must be ~5-10 minutes early to open till AT start time for shift,
General Cashier work, scan items, PLU codes, 15min break for every 4 hours of work + 1 hour for lunch if 8/9 hour shift.
Learned about Canadian Grocery systems,
Learned how to memorize many PLU (Price Look Up) codes, quickly and efficiently
Management is okay, some managers are very nice and friendly, they generally leave you alone, but are quick to answer your calls.
Co-workers were good at the time I worked, friendly, help train you, and will inform you about mistakes in a friendly manner.
Hardest part - Memorizing numbers and standing relatively still for long hours
Enjoyable part - Interacting with customers & co-workers
Leave ~5-15 minutes early for cash out,
This was my favourite job. It was fun, yet still professional
cashier (Former Employee), medicine hat, abJuly 14, 2014
Pros: benefits
I enjoyed my coworkers, and management staff. I learned more of good customer services, and also quality of my service. Speed gained in the work place, and also counting of money.
File Maintenance (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABJuly 23, 2013
Pros: good salary, benefits, co-workers.
Cons: management lacking at times, little communication between staff.
I learned a lot considering I was there for almost seven years. I learned patience and I learned how to work as a team to provide excellent customer service.
Challenging but productive place to work.
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABMarch 9, 2013
Pros: learning so many new things in a busy gas bar.
I had lots of different duties at this workplace. I worked inside and also had duties outside of the building in all kinds of weather. I enjoyed meeting new customers everyday and looked forward to the regular customers coming in for coffee, gas, newspaper, lottery tickets or food everyday.