Mecca Bingo Employee Reviews

Senior Team Member (Former Employee) –  SouthportMarch 9, 2016
Good place to work but if you have a family the hours are too long and management are inflexible, I learned a lot at my time and I was close to being a manager as I knew all departments and could run them without any help, my co-workers where like family to me so much as it was like being at home but could be a pain as everyone knew each others business, hardest part of the job was the 8 hours - 12 hours none stop running around shifts with little break in-between,
most enjoyable part of the job was the staff when we got on it was the best place to work and also customers could be very nice
Pros
could be really rewarding job
Cons
no rewards, manager like dictator
Wouldnt recommend
Admin/ Senior Team Member (Former Employee) –  HullMay 21, 2016
I worked at Mecca for over 6 years and to be honest the only thing keeping me there was loyalty to my friends that worked there. The hours can be anything from 8.30am straight through to midnight. You are expected to work from a rota put up 7 days beforehand so little time to yourself. The shifts are split so you usually finish by 4pm but then can be starting again at 5pm. Because the shifts are split management say you arent entitled to a break on your shift so you could be working 12 hours with only an hour for a break (in which time you are still expected to help with any customer queries if you are still in the building).
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Long hours, terrible management, little time for yourself
unprofessional, understaffed and no appreciation
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Acocks GreenSeptember 24, 2016
people talking about each other and clicks, team leaders are incompetent and take credit for team members work, management dont help out, its horrifically understaffed so you never get a break, everyone is sleeping with each other and you get no appreciation when you go out of your way and told off for irrelevant things. Honestly not even worth min wage. Double shifts are killer and you will have no social life.
Pros
you dont have to wash to get a job
Cons
wage, staff, management, shifts
Hello.
Team member (Former Employee) –  ManchesterSeptember 9, 2016
Working for mecca bingo was one of the hardest jobs ive done the work was hard but i did learn a lot in many different departments. The management was childish and bullied alot of the staff once it became my turn i decided to leave and take another job after more than a year of working there i became fed up of the team they were not a good team to work with but they did teach me the difference between a good team and good management.
Pros
Learning experience.
Cons
Management, team members.
Enjoyable and fun work place to be in
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  DagenhamJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed this job alot and got a lot of praise for the work i had done and had a great team to work with, with lots of help and understanding people.

a typical day would start with a polite hello to all team members and managers at work, then to go and get our floats to begin our shifts(depending on department) then waiting for customers to come in, great all customers kindly, help all customers with what ever they need, our jobs involved from checking bingo claims to making drinks, to cooking and serving food to customers, all regular customers always say about happy they are to see us and our bright smiley faces.

i learnt alot of bar skills and a small amount of silver service and i learnt alot about customer service and how to keep the customers coming back.

my co-workers where lovely people helpful and kind and always praising you for the good work you do and for going out of your way to help support a team.

the most enjoyable part of the job was to see my wounderful co-workers and our regular customers and having a nice little chat now and again with them.
Pros
50% discount of food and free main game of bingo each month
Cons
long hours, late shifts, long weekends, not very flexible.
Fun and friendly atmosphere
Team Member (Former Employee) –  OldburyApril 8, 2016
A typical day at work would vary from busy to non busy depending on the time of the day and the specific day. Being apart of the company however has helped me progress in confidence as I have had to do certain stuff I wouldn't of done before. For example, when a customer has won I would usually have to call the numbers out with a microphone which would have daunted me beforehand.
The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the themes they put on once a week which meant as staff we get to participate and dress up depending on the theme.
Pros
Half price meal and entertaining
Cons
Hours became difficult around sixth form
Hated it.
Receptionist/General Assistant (Former Employee) –  WolverhamptonMarch 30, 2016
The hours of work are all over the place which is not for me. I love having a structured routine. Also i had problems with certain people there. Made my life a misery. Let their position go to their head and used it to intimidate people. Not just myself but other younger girls who worked there at the time. Very catty atmosphere. Like being at school again. Not the same at all mecca bingos though as i know bilston mecca quite well and its nothing like it was at wolverhampton. Good thing about the job was variety. Very rarely nothing to do. Bar work, cafe work, sales, calling,reception duties etc.
Pros
Variety
Cons
Sparatic hours
Be prepared to be stuck at the level you start at for a long while
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  West YorkshireMay 18, 2016
No chance of advancement. In club Managers are a bit hit and miss very good at listening but not very good at actioning. Junior staff not very well respected. Company Managers who visit are very good, just wish they'd spend more time in club so they could form a more realistic view of what happens when Club Managers and Team Leaders aren't carefully escorting them around.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Lack of prospects
Management in my club are second to none
Cashier .. Admin (Current Employee) –  StaffordshireMay 4, 2015
I've been in Mecca for two weeks and got to say this is a complete change for me always worked a Monday to Friday 9to 5 but Mecca offers me the unsociable hours I need. My club is brilliant the management and staff are amazing, the training isn't as structured as liked but in a club with not a lot of staff and a lot to do there are not many people that can be spared to babysit the newbies but they understand we are new and help us out as much as humanly possible. My manager is brilliant and makes me feel totally at ease that I'm new and will make mistakes but not to beat myself up about it etc . Some reviews are awful but not all clubs are the same so please do not take the bad reviews as a generalisation . If you are considering a career in Mecca yes there are long shifts but the club and its team members are a family and if you can cope with the hours you will be welcomed with open arms .
Pros
Part of a team
Cons
Long hours (take some getting used to ..)
fun place to work, management not so great
team member (Former Employee) –  BeestonJanuary 20, 2016
you never get any training on any department so its difficult and stressful when you first start working there. theres no thanks given, if you give an inch they take a mile and continue to expect more all the time.
learned a fair bit in my time but thats all from making mistakes from not being shown anything.
Pros
lovely customers
Cons
no gratitude from management
over all
Maintenance/Handyman (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-TeesAugust 31, 2016
i worked for the mecca bingo in stockton for 15 years ,,the wage is poor , the management are the most under skilled people iv ever worked with , the opportunity to better your self is near zero ,,if you have any scene stay away ,,
Pros
Cons
very little
fun workplace
Team member (Former Employee) –  Chadwell HeathMarch 1, 2016
i learned that i could do anything that i put my mind to and take on new challenges, i got on well with my team members and management
productive and fun workplace
Cashline cashier (Current Employee) –  StevenageFebruary 9, 2016
Every day has new challenges, however the team are fantastic at working together, the best part of the job, getting to know the customers.
Pros
great company
not great.
Team Member - Full Time (Former Employee) –  ExeterJune 15, 2016
Apart from a hand full of staff this job was a constant disappointment. As a new team member being left on your own to fend for yourself is unacceptable, this employer is not recommended.
Pros
nice people
Cons
everything else
Good Job to start a career
Team Leader/ Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Luton, BedfordshireMay 11, 2015
A typical day at mecca for me is very long hours but most days rewarding and productive. Mecca keeps you on the go all the time.

I have lurnt so much in the 7 years i have worked here and started all the way at the bottom, from team member up to team leader, events manager and duty manager.

my co-workers when they are on the ball are such an amazing team with lots of different personalilties.

the hardest thing about my job is that its very long hours and dont spend alot of time at home but the reward thing is achiving all my goals individually and as a team.

my mind is always coming up with new iders and my office is full of projects i really want to try if i had the funding to deliver them

the 1 thing i can take from my career at mecca is i have made some brilliant friends along the way and i met my husbond here to
Pros
Achievements and team development
Cons
Long Hrs
fun place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  BroadstairsNovember 4, 2015
the admin at mecca where lovely and I couldt of worked with better people everyone was so friendly it was such a good envirment to work, because of the people they made me want to work hard in the team spirit a typical day was always the same bar work kitchen work running food or cleaning also helping customers, but the managers made me feel like I wasn't up to the job, the made me feel small even though I worked I done all the extra hours and helped them a lot.
Pros
free lunche and the staff
Cons
long hours and terrible managers
mecca
Cook/Chef (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-TeesJune 26, 2016
the management are great. the job is very challenging and I have improved on my skills on working well as a team. its helped my communication skills and made me more confide
awful company to work for
team member (Former Employee) –  north eastApril 30, 2015
I took this job after being advised by friends not to work for them, so wish I had listened, honestly this is the worst company I have ever worked for, you work long hours with split shifts and little to no training is given, and if you ask for additional training you get ignored then reprimanded for asking, I was very often left on the floor looking after 400+ people on my own with never anybody around to help, then I was pulled in the office to ask why I had missed hands that were up, lost count of the times staff were investigated or disciplined for the least little thing, team leaders on the other hand get away with everything and are very clicky. The management team including team leaders are a joke they don't respect there staff, talk down to you and don't listen, you never get any praise or thanks from managers or team leaders and managers are just bullies who will always back there management team(team leaders) every time when something happens and even told me that to my face, don't know where they get the managers from. Breaks if you were lucky you got a 10 minute break. Unless there was an artist on in the club you wouldn't see a manager after 9pm. Staff morale is very low and the turn over of staff is high, the only good thing about the job was the customers. Word of advice DONT WORK HERE.

Pros
customers
Cons
split shifts, long hours, lack of training, bullying management team
great place to work
Senior team member (Current Employee) –  IpswichMay 22, 2016
really good company and enjoyable place of work, great team in our branch. would easily recommend this company. very adaptable to your life in and out of mecca
Great Job and Environment to Work In.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  CwmbranMay 6, 2016
Physically demanding, but worth it. Customers make the job worth doing. Have had the opportunity to meet some truly lovely individuals along the way.