Mecca Bingo Employee Reviews

Enjoyable and fun work place to be in
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  DagenhamJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed this job alot and got a lot of praise for the work i had done and had a great team to work with, with lots of help and understanding people.

a typical day would start with a polite hello to all team members and managers at work, then to go and get our floats to begin our shifts(depending on department) then waiting for customers to come in, great all customers kindly, help all customers with what ever they need, our jobs involved from checking bingo claims to making drinks, to cooking and serving food to customers, all regular customers always say about happy they are to see us and our bright smiley faces.

i learnt alot of bar skills and a small amount of silver service and i learnt alot about customer service and how to keep the customers coming back.

my co-workers where lovely people helpful and kind and always praising you for the good work you do and for going out of your way to help support a team.

the most enjoyable part of the job was to see my wounderful co-workers and our regular customers and having a nice little chat now and again with them.
Pros
50% discount of food and free main game of bingo each month
Cons
long hours, late shifts, long weekends, not very flexible.
mecca
Cook/Chef (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-TeesJune 26, 2016
the management are great. the job is very challenging and I have improved on my skills on working well as a team. its helped my communication skills and made me more confide
not great.
Team Member - Full Time (Former Employee) –  ExeterJune 15, 2016
Apart from a hand full of staff this job was a constant disappointment. As a new team member being left on your own to fend for yourself is unacceptable, this employer is not recommended.
Pros
nice people
Cons
everything else
great place to work
Senior team member (Current Employee) –  IpswichMay 22, 2016
really good company and enjoyable place of work, great team in our branch. would easily recommend this company. very adaptable to your life in and out of mecca
Wouldnt recommend
Admin/ Senior Team Member (Former Employee) –  HullMay 21, 2016
I worked at Mecca for over 6 years and to be honest the only thing keeping me there was loyalty to my friends that worked there. The hours can be anything from 8.30am straight through to midnight. You are expected to work from a rota put up 7 days beforehand so little time to yourself. The shifts are split so you usually finish by 4pm but then can be starting again at 5pm. Because the shifts are split management say you arent entitled to a break on your shift so you could be working 12 hours with only an hour for a break (in which time you are still expected to help with any customer queries if you are still in the building).
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Long hours, terrible management, little time for yourself
Be prepared to be stuck at the level you start at for a long while
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  West YorkshireMay 18, 2016
No chance of advancement. In club Managers are a bit hit and miss very good at listening but not very good at actioning. Junior staff not very well respected. Company Managers who visit are very good, just wish they'd spend more time in club so they could form a more realistic view of what happens when Club Managers and Team Leaders aren't carefully escorting them around.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Lack of prospects
Great Job and Environment to Work In.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  CwmbranMay 6, 2016
Physically demanding, but worth it. Customers make the job worth doing. Have had the opportunity to meet some truly lovely individuals along the way.
Fun and friendly atmosphere
Team Member (Former Employee) –  OldburyApril 8, 2016
A typical day at work would vary from busy to non busy depending on the time of the day and the specific day. Being apart of the company however has helped me progress in confidence as I have had to do certain stuff I wouldn't of done before. For example, when a customer has won I would usually have to call the numbers out with a microphone which would have daunted me beforehand.
The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the themes they put on once a week which meant as staff we get to participate and dress up depending on the theme.
Pros
Half price meal and entertaining
Cons
Hours became difficult around sixth form
Hated it.
Receptionist/General Assistant (Former Employee) –  WolverhamptonMarch 30, 2016
The hours of work are all over the place which is not for me. I love having a structured routine. Also i had problems with certain people there. Made my life a misery. Let their position go to their head and used it to intimidate people. Not just myself but other younger girls who worked there at the time. Very catty atmosphere. Like being at school again. Not the same at all mecca bingos though as i know bilston mecca quite well and its nothing like it was at wolverhampton. Good thing about the job was variety. Very rarely nothing to do. Bar work, cafe work, sales, calling,reception duties etc.
Pros
Variety
Cons
Sparatic hours
Senior Team Member (Former Employee) –  SouthportMarch 9, 2016
Good place to work but if you have a family the hours are too long and management are inflexible, I learned a lot at my time and I was close to being a manager as I knew all departments and could run them without any help, my co-workers where like family to me so much as it was like being at home but could be a pain as everyone knew each others business, hardest part of the job was the 8 hours - 12 hours none stop running around shifts with little break in-between,
most enjoyable part of the job was the staff when we got on it was the best place to work and also customers could be very nice
Pros
could be really rewarding job
Cons
no rewards, manager like dictator
fun workplace
Team member (Former Employee) –  Chadwell HeathMarch 1, 2016
i learned that i could do anything that i put my mind to and take on new challenges, i got on well with my team members and management
productive and fun workplace
Cashline cashier (Current Employee) –  StevenageFebruary 9, 2016
Every day has new challenges, however the team are fantastic at working together, the best part of the job, getting to know the customers.
Pros
great company
First Job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, ENGJanuary 25, 2016
I worked within a large team on a day to day basis where communication with colleagues and managers as well as various customer types was key to working at a professional level. I gained skills in communication and teamwork which I learn to suit to the circumstances which I was to be faced with.
I was also required to work alone, this allowed me to set myself objectives to hit sales targets for specific times of the day.
fun place to work, management not so great
team member (Former Employee) –  BeestonJanuary 20, 2016
you never get any training on any department so its difficult and stressful when you first start working there. theres no thanks given, if you give an inch they take a mile and continue to expect more all the time.
learned a fair bit in my time but thats all from making mistakes from not being shown anything.
Pros
lovely customers
Cons
no gratitude from management
loved it
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, ENGJanuary 10, 2016
call numbers check tickets help customers work the bar work the restraunt do front of house money checks safe checks wish i could of stayed longer
Each day is very diverse.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Romford, ENGDecember 3, 2015
I enjoy working at Mecca because the variety of my role.

I am involved with working on every department, from book-sales, reception, bar, kitchen and cashline on a daily basis.

I also deal with complaints, staffing issues and figure reporting.

I was able to use my creative thinking to make for a better staff and customer experience.

The staff are the heart of the club.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
unsociable hours
fun place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  BroadstairsNovember 4, 2015
the admin at mecca where lovely and I couldt of worked with better people everyone was so friendly it was such a good envirment to work, because of the people they made me want to work hard in the team spirit a typical day was always the same bar work kitchen work running food or cleaning also helping customers, but the managers made me feel like I wasn't up to the job, the made me feel small even though I worked I done all the extra hours and helped them a lot.
Pros
free lunche and the staff
Cons
long hours and terrible managers
stressful, long unsociable hours, bad comunication, unprofessional management,
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  leedsSeptember 19, 2015
Mecca is not a place for people who wish to continue their "normal" life. There is absolutely no balance between work and home life. Management promote this life style also. Work is a flexible rota and you may be working 7 days+ in a row. There is not an actual training scheme put in place, you learn on the job and if you are there years later, you will most likely still be learning. As for hourly rate, it is above average, but there are no bonuses. Communication amongst management to staff is minimal and they are very unapproachable. Please be prepared to forget about your children if you get a job here, because the business needs are far greater than your families. As a team member/cleaner, you will be expected to work days similar to 8:30am -10:45 11:15-4:00pm 5pm -11pm + (this is just an example of one day that got rotad to me in the past) also if you are comfortable with working all day till midnight then starting early in the morning for another full day, this company will be suited to you, as the law of having 11 hours between daily shifts, they certainly do not adhere to.
Working there you are likely to witness a massive staff turnover regularly, staff come and go all the time. The rate of people going on sick due to stress is extremely high and those with mental related illnesses such as depression is also.
Mecca does not recognise a trade union.
The four weekly in advance rotas are generally always just two weeks in advance. Management dont seem to have any continuity in regards to the way they talk and treat all members of staff, they like to operate on a "if
  more... your face fits" policy, and rules for one person may be very different to those for another.
The general role working here is a good one, its easy, but sadly the business as a company and the management, its horrendous and for that reason i would not recommended it to anyone. Unless you enjoy being brought down, run into the ground and not supported.
Cons
everything
Good fun place to work
front of house (Former Employee) –  BrightonSeptember 16, 2015
Front of house. Taking payments for bingo cards, communicating with the public. I learned good communication and people skills. I found no hard parts to the job. I enjoyed working for Mecca.
Pros
Different job roles available
Cons
can be long hours
productive work place
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Leicester, ENGSeptember 8, 2015
fun work place and a good environment and friendly co workers to work with duties in this role was cleaning toilets and wipeing tables and hoovering the floors