McMaster University

McMaster University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Nice environment
Research Assistant, Wireless Networking Lab (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 24, 2013
Nice environment to do research, helpful professors and staff.
Loved the job
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: best supervisor
Cons: not enough pay
- It was unique and new task and problem everyday everyday
- i learned a lot about vibration analysis
Warm environment with good study opportunities
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, OnJanuary 15, 2013
Distinguished faculty, Welcoming staff and nice place to work and learn :)
Great Co-workers and learning opportunities
Clinical Research Nurse (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 15, 2013
Significant variability in day-to day function. Difficult slow periods alternating with fast-paced busy periods. Highly unpredictable. Challenging.
Many learning opportunities.
Management of Clinical trials.
Gained practical knowledge of exercising and progression
Strength and Conditioning Coach Volunteer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 13, 2012
Pros: learned new exercise techniques every week
Cons: staff meetings where at 6 am, hard to balance with school
- A typical day at work was either on the field or in the weight room. In the field we would run sprinting, long distance running, and games to help improve cardiovascular fitness. In the weight room we would assist in athletes with their training program making sure technique is correct and also spotting athletes.
-I learned a bunch of exercises and – more... techniques and stretches for certain conditions, taping of ankles and apply them to athletes
-management was very energetic, they would host staff meetings everyweek to learn new exercises and techniques
-co-workers where all kinesiology student volunteer and part time.
- hardest part of the job was the early staff meetings that where at 6am on wednesdays.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experience. It was the fact that they would teach us many different things and we would train like athletes in order to help teach and coach the athletes their strength and conditioning program. – less
Productive and Fun to work at with flexible hours
Research Assistant, Photonic & Plasmonic Devices (Current Employee), Hamiton, ONNovember 28, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, flexible management, and ability to explore
Cons: low pay, little experimental work, little interaction with industry or customers
A typical day would involve research innovative ideas in the field of work, modelling and documenting the findings and results.

I continuously learn about new ideas in modelling and design techniques, theoretical aspects, presentations, and the ability to convey your idea clearly.

The supervisor is helpful with various ideas that, as a research assistant, – more... you can build on. Co-workers are fun to be around and do not mind having a few chats to ease the stress.

The hardest part is also the most enjoyable part and that is developing an idea and seeing it grow and flourish – less
world-leading medical institute
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 18, 2012
Pros: incredible learning experience professionally (and academically)
Cons: highly competitive atmosphere
Being in Basic Research the hours are unforgiving but gratifying
Fun, productive, enjoyable workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 5, 2012
Pros: great working environment, feeling productive
Cons: machines would break down
- A typical day would start off by me opening the lab, checking the pumps oil level, and turning on the machines. Once the machines were on I would calibrate then begin running samples, keeping an organized record of the samples ran (hard copy logbook, as well as a digital copy). Throughout the day I would receive a bunch of internal as well as external – more... samples that I would then log into the "Sample Log Book". If we needed chemicals or supplies, I would then go to the McMaster Chemical or Supply store to purchase the required items. At the end of the day I would clean my work space and properly shut down my machine.

- The hardest part of the job was, when a sample didnt show the proper peak, knowing what to add to make the peak appear, while also not adding anything that would damage the sample.

- The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to work in a fun environment, while still being productive. – less
McMaster is a very good university
Teacher assistant (Current Employee), Faculty HumanitiesOctober 31, 2012
McMaster is a very good university, we do not have too many classes per week for each teacher so that we can take good care of our students.
Work Place
Instructor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 29, 2012
Culture is different from Orient. I have learnt to endure the Work pattern over here.
Overall I have enjoyed my stay over here.
Good place for student working experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 28, 2012
very good payment and benefit for employees, I worked at McMaster as a teaching and research assistant, I am satisfied with the work experience at the University.
fast paced environment. There is always something to do.
cashier/ cafeteria attendant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 18, 2012
Pros: great wages, et..
Cons: part time positions only
I enjoyed doing various jobs and working with people. I like that it was a fast pace. I like to keep busy.
First opportunity for management role and responsibilities
Hospitality Services Manager (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 17, 2012
Pros: free lunches, good pay
Cons: work is demanding, a lot of responsibilities
Great location, on-campus, good for students
Very lively and social
Cool atmosphere
A great experience
Assembler (temporary position) (Former Employee), David Braley Institute, Hamilton, ONOctober 8, 2012
Pros: intelligent staff, beautiful facility, opportunity to learn new things
Cons: long hours spent at the computer, repetitive
This was a temporary position. The position evolved from a assembling Lab kits for on ongoing international study, to a data entry clerk, This was a wonderful opportunity to learn something very different from my field of study in education and psychology. I learned how to do invoicing with the shipping and receiving department and to follow strict – more... protocols when assembling medical supplies. I also spent a vast amount of time learning new data entry tables, and entering in a large amount of data efficiently. I am always eager to learn about new things, and this job provided that window. The most difficult part of this particular job was the extended time sitting in front of a computer. Also, knowing that it was a temporary position, it did not provide any job security in the long run. All the personnel were friendly and helpful to the new data entry staff and I would welcome an opportunity to work there again – less
Good hours
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), HamiltonOctober 2, 2012
administrative duties such as marking tests, reports and quizzes, compiling grades.
It was fun working with students
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 24, 2012
-Enjoyed working with students.
-Had to solve different assignments for the students.
-The hardest part was to check assignments and exam scripts.
A very honourable place to work and to gain experience
Research Associate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: excellent team and supervisors
Cons: no job security or further chances
I enjoyed every day of my job. But the problem is that once your contract is over you have no way to go.
Great way to gain valuable skills and leaves time for one's own education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: great hours, fun setting, informative sessions, very rewarding experience
Cons: some students do not get involved in discussion (tough to motivate some students)
The best part of running tutorials was interacting with the students. This was a great way of not only learning in a class setting but also connecting with fellow students. I learned that I was able to communicate effectively and teach them something; most of the students had positive results. My co-workers, also students, were always helpful if I had – more... questions about something, and the professor who oversaw the class was very informative and helpful with the material we ourselves had to teach the students. The hours were excellent; there was always time to do my own work as well as to attend to my tutorial responsibilities. This is definitely a position which I'll miss. – less
Relaxed work environment with good focus on exploring solutions
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 18, 2012
A typical day usually involves many hours of programming to work on a project. It is easy and encouraged to spend a generous amount of time finding alternative solutions and looking for research to help in the design of solutions.
Good University
Teaching-Assistant/Research-Grad-Student (Former Employee), CanadaAugust 6, 2012
Pros: .
Cons: .
A good atmosphere, the school supports many different studies

About McMaster University

McMaster University (commonly referred to as McMaster or Mac) is a public research university whose main campus is located in – Read more

McMaster University Photos