McMaster University

McMaster University Employee Reviews

Fun, productive, enjoyable workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 November 2012
- A typical day would start off by me opening the lab, checking the pumps oil level, and turning on the machines. Once the machines were on I would calibrate then begin running samples, keeping an organized record of the samples ran (hard copy logbook, as well as a digital copy). Throughout the day I would receive a bunch of internal as well as external samples that I would then log into the "Sample Log Book". If we needed chemicals or supplies, I would then go to the McMaster Chemical or Supply store to purchase the required items. At the end of the day I would clean my work space and properly shut down my machine.

- The hardest part of the job was, when a sample didnt show the proper peak, knowing what to add to make the peak appear, while also not adding anything that would damage the sample.

- The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to work in a fun environment, while still being productive.
Pros
great working environment, feeling productive
Cons
machines would break down
A fun job to supplement my student work.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 October 2013
Working as a Teaching Assistant was a part-time position where I led two tutorial groups of first year students twice a week each. The tutorials including helping students understand the material from lectures, supplementary readings, group work, marking presentations, tests and exams. I also held office hours where I provided students with feedback on their marks and rough drafts of papers. The professors I worked for were generally too busy with their own work to offer much over sight so the job was very independent. They usually answered any questions we had through E-mail and occasional meetings. The hardest part of the job was meeting expectations with little over sight. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting students to think outside the box and see things from new perspectives.
Pros
Convenient hours, convenient location, great pay, stimulating work
Cons
A lot of work especially during exam time. It was hard to balance everyones expectations
Very productive and fun workplace to volunteer
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 May 2015
Three hours of volunteer.
Learned how to solve problems on my own.
Very good management.
Very friendly co-workers.
It is hard to be in front of the computer for three hours straight.
Everyone is very friendly and fun to work with.
Pros
Meet engineers
Cons
To much time on the computer
McMaster Program
Project Management Program (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 July 2015
Excellent Program, Highly Recommend it

Covers all a diverse range of project management material.

Instructors are intelligent, informative and bring a wealth of professional experience.
Good environment to work in.
Teacher (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 February 2015
I am a part-time teacher at McMaster University.
I spend only a few hours each day at the University.
The staff, at any level, is very skilled and happy to help at any moment.
The management and my colleagues are helpful and fun to work with.
It is a really pleasure to work in this environment and to try to add my skills to form the future specialists.
very productive
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 April 2014
I am the Lead Floater for McMaster during the MCC medical exams. I delegate duties to other floaters during the day where we run documents from clinic to clinic throughout McMaster and other various duties.

This position is a very demanding role since it's important for the clinics to run as smoothly as possible from start to finish.

During these exams I work close to 24 hours in 2 days.

The hardest part of this job is how many different areas there are to look after. Usually there are 8-10 different clinics happening at once.
Pros
free snacks and lunch
Cons
walking distances
Productive and organized place to work at
Invigilator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 February 2013
Accommodating students such as answering questions, assisting professors and helping student for supplies, that are needed during exam time to create a stress free environment
Supervising students when writing exams, and maintaining the confidentiality of the students, professor, and exams. Also making sure no one cheats and plagiarizes. Moreover, collecting the exams putting them in order according to the professor's requirements and handing them over to the professor at the end of the exam period.
Pros
flexible shifts
Research Assistant/Technician (Immunology lab)
RESEARCH ASSISTANT/LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 April 2013
- I have enjoyed my experience at McMaster University working in an immunological lab. A typical day involves assisting M.Sc. candidates with various protocols and other technical aspects involved in their specific projects, in addition to conducting and planning experiments that relate to my interests.
- I have learned many technical skills relating to PCR, qPCR, ELISAs, flow cytometry, and mammalian cell culture. Many of these techniques require troubleshooting which I find is the most important aspect in fully understanding a technique. Although occasionaly I find experimental outcomes are unsuccessful, the process of optimizing a technique for its success is extremely beneficial and so experimental failure can be regarded as a positive rather than a negative.
- Management is conducted by my PI who is extremely helpful and patient.
- The co-workers change from time to time, with the influx of new students, which presents a fresh start for teaching techniques. I find this useful in furthering my understanding of a technique as well as promoting my teaching skills.
- The hardest part of the job is probably knowing how to efficiently manage your time and understanding how to conduct an experiment that will work correctly the first time.
- The most enjoyable part of the job for me is figuring out ways to ask specific questions experimentally.
Neurology Research Fellow; McMaster University
Co- Principal investigator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 January 2015
- patient interaction (History taking, Examination, Discussion with supervisor)
- Formulating patient management plan
- Interaction with team workers
- Phone calls and discussion with the multidisciplinary teams
Pros
Not applicable
Cons
Not applicable
Good school to complete Ph.D.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 September 2015
I have done my Ph.D. from this University. It is a small but very eminent university in Canada. All the facilities and GSA's support for students is awesome.
Patient Simulator
Patient Simulator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 July 2013
This casual position is such a refreshing and rewarding change. The support staff and tutors are so helpful and imaginative.
It is a very co-operative environment, with the more experienced simulators eager to share stories and ideas for different scenarios.
It is a friendly atmosphere to work.
The exams are good for the simulator, as we observe each new student learning new skills in patient
interaction and communication.
Pros
Always stimulating
Great Co-workers and learning opportunities
Clinical Research Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 January 2013
Significant variability in day-to day function. Difficult slow periods alternating with fast-paced busy periods. Highly unpredictable. Challenging.
Many learning opportunities.
Management of Clinical trials.
The University with a lake in its "back garden"
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 February 2014
The TA experience was the most impressive one during my master's program. Multiple tasks are required to be finished within a limited time, including leading tutorials, marking assignments and discussing of essays. Through talking with the cute first year undergraduate students, we also developed valuable skills to communicate effectively with others and learned to know the needs of the students.
A very honourable place to work and to gain experience
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 September 2012
I enjoyed every day of my job. But the problem is that once your contract is over you have no way to go.
Pros
excellent team and supervisors
Cons
no job security or further chances
A great universty to study Chemical egineering
Chemical Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 April 2014
McMaster university is a great place to study Chemical engineering. So far is one of the top university in chemical engineering because of its quality delivering of education and its unique choice of course materials that are basically industrial application based. Thus giving students a taste of the industry well in time.
Pros
good education
Cons
ave to work really hard
study here for 2 years, very impression experience.
Project management training (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 August 2015
The professor is very professional and the students can have a great live and study balance.study here for 7 years, very impression experience.
Great place
Presider, Invigilator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 June 2015
Get to work before time, to sign in, and set-up
co-workers are great
the hardest part is standing at one spot, or walking around depending on where you are, the floor makes a lot of sound
helping the students with certain questions
Great working environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 August 2013
Perfect place to build a career and work in an institution that cares about it's employees. Sorry I left in 2008.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Campus Parking
Busy but lots of opportunities to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton7 March 2014
Very busy, full of work, but management had provided the necessary support, and they showed appreciation toward the effort.
Pros
Great place to learn
Cons
Lots of work
world-leading medical institute
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 November 2012
Being in Basic Research the hours are unforgiving but gratifying
Pros
incredible learning experience professionally (and academically)
Cons
highly competitive atmosphere

4.3