McMaster University Employee Reviews in Canada

very great environment
Sales Associate (Text Book Department) (Current Employee) –  hamiltonSeptember 8, 2014
good environment and management, i have learnt from here a lot,
but its a temporary job here.
Fun, productive, enjoyable workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 5, 2012
- A typical day would start off by me opening the lab, checking the pumps oil level, and turning on the machines. Once the machines were on I would calibrate then begin running samples, keeping an organized record of the samples ran (hard copy logbook, as well as a digital copy). Throughout the day I would receive a bunch of internal as well as external samples that I would then log into the "Sample Log Book". If we needed chemicals or supplies, I would then go to the McMaster Chemical or Supply store to purchase the required items. At the end of the day I would clean my work space and properly shut down my machine.

- The hardest part of the job was, when a sample didnt show the proper peak, knowing what to add to make the peak appear, while also not adding anything that would damage the sample.

- The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to work in a fun environment, while still being productive.
Pros
great working environment, feeling productive
Cons
machines would break down
A fun job to supplement my student work.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 1, 2013
Working as a Teaching Assistant was a part-time position where I led two tutorial groups of first year students twice a week each. The tutorials including helping students understand the material from lectures, supplementary readings, group work, marking presentations, tests and exams. I also held office hours where I provided students with feedback on their marks and rough drafts of papers. The professors I worked for were generally too busy with their own work to offer much over sight so the job was very independent. They usually answered any questions we had through E-mail and occasional meetings. The hardest part of the job was meeting expectations with little over sight. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting students to think outside the box and see things from new perspectives.
Pros
convenient hours, convenient location, great pay, stimulating work
Cons
a lot of work especially during exam time. it was hard to balance everyones expectations
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 6, 2014
One of the best research universities in Canada, perhaps the world. High tech laboratories and renowned faculties prepares one for a productive career ahead.
A very honourable place to work and to gain experience
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 21, 2012
I enjoyed every day of my job. But the problem is that once your contract is over you have no way to go.
Pros
excellent team and supervisors
Cons
no job security or further chances
Productive and fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 14, 2015
office hour; helped professor invigilate exam; marked students exams; assisted professor for teaching goals

learned a lot from this job and professor is nice
very productive
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 9, 2014
I am the Lead Floater for McMaster during the MCC medical exams. I delegate duties to other floaters during the day where we run documents from clinic to clinic throughout McMaster and other various duties.

This position is a very demanding role since it's important for the clinics to run as smoothly as possible from start to finish.

During these exams I work close to 24 hours in 2 days.

The hardest part of this job is how many different areas there are to look after. Usually there are 8-10 different clinics happening at once.
Pros
free snacks and lunch
Cons
walking distances
great environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 12, 2015
had fun learning in the lab. ran in to some problems with my research but learned how to tackle things head on. professors are great and well knowledgeable.
Senior Student Consultant
Senior Student Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 14, 2012
The Senior Student Consultant (SSC) is an hybrid position of both summer full time position and part-time position during the regular school term.
Summer
During the summer, the SSC team (5-7) develops projects which might help the students labs, University Technology Services (UTS), and managing the team of Student Consultants (SC) during the school year. The summer projects include lab machine monitoring system which monitors login activity and software usage of each user, digital display system which displays lab usage and status via Java/SQL/HTML. During the summer, the SSC team is responsible of representing UTS in various outreach events for new students. At the end of the summer, a training day will be held bt the SSC team and training will be provided to the SCs of group size up to 50.

School Term
During the school term, the team's main responsibility is to manage all of the SCs (up to 80) and keep student labs running smoothly. We provide on going assistance and training to any SCs that need help as well as customer service to professors. We work with the maintenance crew to keep the lab machines up to date and repair any hardware/software issues that arises during the term. The SSC team is also responsible to micromanage the SCs and host social events for team building. The SSC team is also involved in interviewing and picking out the SC team for the next year.
Pros
flexible work hours and project
Cons
constant change of management
Great working environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 3, 2013
Perfect place to build a career and work in an institution that cares about it's employees. Sorry I left in 2008.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
campus parking
Productive and organized place to work at
Invigilator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Accommodating students such as answering questions, assisting professors and helping student for supplies, that are needed during exam time to create a stress free environment
Supervising students when writing exams, and maintaining the confidentiality of the students, professor, and exams. Also making sure no one cheats and plagiarizes. Moreover, collecting the exams putting them in order according to the professor's requirements and handing them over to the professor at the end of the exam period.
Pros
flexible shifts
Challenging and rewarding work environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 8, 2015
I learned how to work in a team environment and lead project based teams. Ensured collaboration with stakeholders to deliver best solution to their needs. Organized mental health workshops. Assisted in solving business problems of the organization
Fun and Rewarding
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OnAugust 28, 2013
This role was fun and personally rewarding, however it required a great deal of time management skills from anyone in this role.
Fast Paced environment
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hamilton,OntarioMarch 1, 2015
Fun place to work,Excellent Co-Workers, Good place to learn new technologies. Successfully implemented ERP system.
Beautiful Campus
Work Place
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 29, 2012
Culture is different from Orient. I have learnt to endure the Work pattern over here.
Overall I have enjoyed my stay over here.
Project Management
Project Consultant/Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 16, 2012
A Project Management Assignment with renewable technology
Enjoyable place to work
Executive Assistant to the Vice President (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 23, 2014
There are always new and interesting things going on at the University, courses available to employees to further their education and help with their current position.

Co-workers are helpful and friendly, and were welcoming.
productive and initiative
Student CCRA (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Organised.
disciplined
well established program.
competitive
fair
well paid
It is a great university with lots of potential
Instructor (Current Employee) –  HamiltonOctober 2, 2014
It is a great place to learn about health economics. I really like the faculty, they are very knowledgeable and very much approachable. Almost everyone has open-door policy and the resources are made readily available for students to utilize in their research. I like the staff in the RDC; they are great and very friendly.
Great environment and great people, and good recreational facilities on campus.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 9, 2014
As a research assistant in process systems design, there is a lot of work on computer. Typical day involves staying in office for majority of day, while meeting with grad student and supervisor every few days. But it is manageable when there is an interest in research being done!
Pros
good environment

4.3