McMaster University

McMaster University Employee Reviews

RLS Employment
House Programming Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 January 2016
Excellent work environment with an amazing group of co-workers. Great way to work while balancing demands of university.
world-leading medical institute
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 November 2012
Being in Basic Research the hours are unforgiving but gratifying
Pros
incredible learning experience professionally (and academically)
Cons
highly competitive atmosphere
Neurology Research Fellow; McMaster University
Co- Principal investigator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 January 2015
- patient interaction (History taking, Examination, Discussion with supervisor)
- Formulating patient management plan
- Interaction with team workers
- Phone calls and discussion with the multidisciplinary teams
Pros
Not applicable
Cons
Not applicable
Great, fun, educational and all out fun
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 June 2015
Working at McMaster University as a gardener was a great and unforgettable experience. I would recommend this job to anyone who is hardworking, willing to learn new things and loves to work in the dirt. I had plenty of fun in the summer not only because of my own love for nature but because of the supervisors love and dedication to McMaster's Garden as well. The supervisors were so kind, helpful and patient. I enjoyed my time working at McMaster University a lot.
Pros
great pay, helpful supervisors, great lunch times and bbq ocationally
Cons
The cuts from the thissles and rose gardens
Great way to gain valuable skills and leaves time for one's own education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 September 2012
The best part of running tutorials was interacting with the students. This was a great way of not only learning in a class setting but also connecting with fellow students. I learned that I was able to communicate effectively and teach them something; most of the students had positive results. My co-workers, also students, were always helpful if I had questions about something, and the professor who oversaw the class was very informative and helpful with the material we ourselves had to teach the students. The hours were excellent; there was always time to do my own work as well as to attend to my tutorial responsibilities. This is definitely a position which I'll miss.
Pros
great hours, fun setting, informative sessions, very rewarding experience
Cons
some students do not get involved in discussion (tough to motivate some students)
Great Co-workers and learning opportunities
Clinical Research Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 January 2013
Significant variability in day-to day function. Difficult slow periods alternating with fast-paced busy periods. Highly unpredictable. Challenging.
Many learning opportunities.
Management of Clinical trials.
A second home for me
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 October 2015
I have done different things at McMaster and it is the most environment I feel appreciated and responsible in. I have worked as a private tutor for different upper year courses. I am currently working as an instructional assistant for a first year course that prepares the students for the real life challenges that they are expected to face.
Educational and enjoyable workplace
Social Psychology Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 February 2014
I lead seminars of approximately 30 students to review and discuss materials from lecture. After that I hold an office hour for students with more complex questions that do not relate directly to the seminars. I've learned and improved on many skills doing so. These involve public speaking, presentation preparation, and keeping lines of steady communication with my students. All of the teaching assistants are managed by professor Glavin. He does an excellent job of outlining what must be accomplished and gives us a great deal of flexibility in how we meet these goals. My co-workers are both knowledgeable and helpful. We are a team in helping each other to succeed. The most difficult part of the job is marking. It can be long and sometimes tedious. However, it is a small price to pay for the experience. The most enjoyable part by far is leading seminars. Interacting with students to solve problems is very rewarding.
Busy but lots of opportunities to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton7 March 2014
Very busy, full of work, but management had provided the necessary support, and they showed appreciation toward the effort.
Pros
Great place to learn
Cons
Lots of work
Excellent place to work for.
EXAMINATION STAFF (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Ontario11 July 2014
This position was very structured with great co-workers that worked very well as a team. Management was great to everyone which the job very enjoyable.
Fun, productive, enjoyable workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 November 2012
- A typical day would start off by me opening the lab, checking the pumps oil level, and turning on the machines. Once the machines were on I would calibrate then begin running samples, keeping an organized record of the samples ran (hard copy logbook, as well as a digital copy). Throughout the day I would receive a bunch of internal as well as external samples that I would then log into the "Sample Log Book". If we needed chemicals or supplies, I would then go to the McMaster Chemical or Supply store to purchase the required items. At the end of the day I would clean my work space and properly shut down my machine.

- The hardest part of the job was, when a sample didnt show the proper peak, knowing what to add to make the peak appear, while also not adding anything that would damage the sample.

- The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to work in a fun environment, while still being productive.
Pros
great working environment, feeling productive
Cons
machines would break down
A fun job to supplement my student work.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 October 2013
Working as a Teaching Assistant was a part-time position where I led two tutorial groups of first year students twice a week each. The tutorials including helping students understand the material from lectures, supplementary readings, group work, marking presentations, tests and exams. I also held office hours where I provided students with feedback on their marks and rough drafts of papers. The professors I worked for were generally too busy with their own work to offer much over sight so the job was very independent. They usually answered any questions we had through E-mail and occasional meetings. The hardest part of the job was meeting expectations with little over sight. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting students to think outside the box and see things from new perspectives.
Pros
Convenient hours, convenient location, great pay, stimulating work
Cons
A lot of work especially during exam time. It was hard to balance everyones expectations
Good place to conduct research in materials related field.
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 October 2015
Nice working place with supportive supervisors/faculty and intellectual colleagues. Effective team working enjoying the dynamic of colloborative effort to successfully execute our research project.
A very honourable place to work and to gain experience
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 September 2012
I enjoyed every day of my job. But the problem is that once your contract is over you have no way to go.
Pros
excellent team and supervisors
Cons
no job security or further chances
Good Place to work
Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 November 2015
Working for McMaster University is a very fast paced kind of work where you are expected to give 110% of your skills and effort, gives you the opportunity to keep yourself busy and wanting to improve all the time.
Pros
Clean, nice environment
University
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 November 2015
This job was filled with experiences that are hard to come by which allowed me to learn a lot and gave me opportunities to mature my self in an peer to peer environment.
Senior Student Consultant
Senior Student Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 June 2012
The Senior Student Consultant (SSC) is an hybrid position of both summer full time position and part-time position during the regular school term.
Summer
During the summer, the SSC team (5-7) develops projects which might help the students labs, University Technology Services (UTS), and managing the team of Student Consultants (SC) during the school year. The summer projects include lab machine monitoring system which monitors login activity and software usage of each user, digital display system which displays lab usage and status via Java/SQL/HTML. During the summer, the SSC team is responsible of representing UTS in various outreach events for new students. At the end of the summer, a training day will be held bt the SSC team and training will be provided to the SCs of group size up to 50.

School Term
During the school term, the team's main responsibility is to manage all of the SCs (up to 80) and keep student labs running smoothly. We provide on going assistance and training to any SCs that need help as well as customer service to professors. We work with the maintenance crew to keep the lab machines up to date and repair any hardware/software issues that arises during the term. The SSC team is also responsible to micromanage the SCs and host social events for team building. The SSC team is also involved in interviewing and picking out the SC team for the next year.
Pros
flexible work hours and project
Cons
constant change of management
very productive
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 April 2014
I am the Lead Floater for McMaster during the MCC medical exams. I delegate duties to other floaters during the day where we run documents from clinic to clinic throughout McMaster and other various duties.

This position is a very demanding role since it's important for the clinics to run as smoothly as possible from start to finish.

During these exams I work close to 24 hours in 2 days.

The hardest part of this job is how many different areas there are to look after. Usually there are 8-10 different clinics happening at once.
Pros
free snacks and lunch
Cons
walking distances
Great working environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 August 2013
Perfect place to build a career and work in an institution that cares about it's employees. Sorry I left in 2008.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Campus Parking
Productive and organized place to work at
Invigilator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 February 2013
Accommodating students such as answering questions, assisting professors and helping student for supplies, that are needed during exam time to create a stress free environment
Supervising students when writing exams, and maintaining the confidentiality of the students, professor, and exams. Also making sure no one cheats and plagiarizes. Moreover, collecting the exams putting them in order according to the professor's requirements and handing them over to the professor at the end of the exam period.
Pros
flexible shifts

4.3