McMaster University Employee Reviews

Great place to work with great people
University Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 April 2014
Working as a Teaching Assistant for McMaster university was a great experience. The team I worked with was highly professional, and full of wonderful people to work.
I would recommend McMaster university for any of my fellow co-workers looking for a job without a second thought
A great entry level teaching job
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 December 2013
Work is primarily carried out in the class room, it is therefore an independent work environment. High paced work and lots of it. The work is difficult for students to complete in conjunction with their own responsibilities as MA students, albeit rewarding.
Pros
flexible hours, good pay
Cons
high work load
VERY ACTIVE PRODUCTIVE ,VERY TALANTED
Trauma Fellow (Current Employee) –  HAMILTON,ON,HAMILTON GENERAL HOSPITAL15 November 2013
I'M AN EXTREMELY ACTIVE PRODUCTIVE AND VERY FLEXIBLE PERSON WITH EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE AND GOOD LATERAL THINKING.
I WORK UNDER EXTREME PRESSURE CONDITIONS
I RESPECT MY SENIORS
I LOVE MY WORK AND PUT ALL MY TIME ONTO MY JOB
Pros
VERY PUNCTUAL AND TO THE POINT
Cons
SHY, KEEP A VERY LOW PROFILE, HATE SHOWBIZ
Great way to gain valuable skills and leaves time for one's own education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 September 2012
The best part of running tutorials was interacting with the students. This was a great way of not only learning in a class setting but also connecting with fellow students. I learned that I was able to communicate effectively and teach them something; most of the students had positive results. My co-workers, also students, were always helpful if I had questions about something, and the professor who oversaw the class was very informative and helpful with the material we ourselves had to teach the students. The hours were excellent; there was always time to do my own work as well as to attend to my tutorial responsibilities. This is definitely a position which I'll miss.
Pros
great hours, fun setting, informative sessions, very rewarding experience
Cons
some students do not get involved in discussion (tough to motivate some students)
PhD Student
Teaching Assistant for these undergraduate courses (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 May 2015
Excellent research environment, professors are good, Hamilton is a good city and cost of living is average. A good place to interact with people and get PhD degree.
Flexible hours
Web Developer - A University (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 March 2013
Working at the McMaster while studying at the same university was a good experience. The departments are very considerate of students and realize that there are times when you may not be able to make it to work The hours are flexible and they set schedules according to your class schedule.
Productive and collegial atmosphere
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 November 2013
As a teaching assistant, I taught undergraduate students in areas of physiology, reproduction, endocrinology, ecology, animal behaviour, and child development psychology. I learned how to teach undergraduate students, and facilitate group discussions.
Pros
Rewarding
It was a lot of fun and great environment for learning
Senior Student Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 September 2013
I would go to work after classes or in between classes and help patrons with computer related problems. It was always fulfilling to see the joy of a satisfied client.
Pros
It was a great opportunity to gain technical know-how
Cons
You could only be a student
Enjoyable place to work
Executive Assistant to the Vice President (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 December 2014
There are always new and interesting things going on at the University, courses available to employees to further their education and help with their current position.

Co-workers are helpful and friendly, and were welcoming.
Relaxed work environment with good focus on exploring solutions
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 August 2012
A typical day usually involves many hours of programming to work on a project. It is easy and encouraged to spend a generous amount of time finding alternative solutions and looking for research to help in the design of solutions.
Great working environment
Masters Candidate/ Invigilatior (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 March 2014
A great reputable university with very distinctive degrees and programs. forward thinking initiatives in teaching and research and always aiming to achieve the highest standards of education and delivering solution.
Educational and enjoyable workplace
Social Psychology Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 February 2014
I lead seminars of approximately 30 students to review and discuss materials from lecture. After that I hold an office hour for students with more complex questions that do not relate directly to the seminars. I've learned and improved on many skills doing so. These involve public speaking, presentation preparation, and keeping lines of steady communication with my students. All of the teaching assistants are managed by professor Glavin. He does an excellent job of outlining what must be accomplished and gives us a great deal of flexibility in how we meet these goals. My co-workers are both knowledgeable and helpful. We are a team in helping each other to succeed. The most difficult part of the job is marking. It can be long and sometimes tedious. However, it is a small price to pay for the experience. The most enjoyable part by far is leading seminars. Interacting with students to solve problems is very rewarding.
Great Co-workers and learning opportunities
Clinical Research Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 January 2013
Significant variability in day-to day function. Difficult slow periods alternating with fast-paced busy periods. Highly unpredictable. Challenging.
Many learning opportunities.
Management of Clinical trials.
fun professional environment
Human resources assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 November 2014
learned a lot about myself as well as individuals I worked with. Demanding job environment but rewarding. Learned various clerical and administrative duties that will assist me in future positions
Excellent research culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2014
Excellent autonomy. I was able to come into the lab and work on my own schedule so long as tasks were completed. Coworkers were great. Opportunities for growth dependant on work completed.
Pros
Work Culture, Management, Life Balance
Productive and Supportive work enivronment
Administrative Support, Faculty of Health Sciences (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 January 2014
As being a part of an administrative team, there are many areas of interest. As a new administrative assistant, there is room to learn and grow through experiences and training.
very good opportunity to learn
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton,ontario24 April 2012
very less time to finish the project. so to finish work we have to work late nights(they have provision to pay only for eight hours)
but my instructor and me work for twelve hours just to finish projects
Pros
never give up
Cons
spelling mistake
Fun, productive, enjoyable workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 November 2012
- A typical day would start off by me opening the lab, checking the pumps oil level, and turning on the machines. Once the machines were on I would calibrate then begin running samples, keeping an organized record of the samples ran (hard copy logbook, as well as a digital copy). Throughout the day I would receive a bunch of internal as well as external samples that I would then log into the "Sample Log Book". If we needed chemicals or supplies, I would then go to the McMaster Chemical or Supply store to purchase the required items. At the end of the day I would clean my work space and properly shut down my machine.

- The hardest part of the job was, when a sample didnt show the proper peak, knowing what to add to make the peak appear, while also not adding anything that would damage the sample.

- The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to work in a fun environment, while still being productive.
Pros
great working environment, feeling productive
Cons
machines would break down
A great place to learn new skills
Student Support Therapist (Former Employee) –  McMaster Hamilton Ontario22 April 2015
This was a good learning experience. My responsibilities grew over the years and I was able to network with many great minds in the field.
Productive and fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2015
office hour; helped professor invigilate exam; marked students exams; assisted professor for teaching goals

learned a lot from this job and professor is nice

4.3