McMaster University Employee Reviews

RLS Employment
House Programming Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 January 2016
Excellent work environment with an amazing group of co-workers. Great way to work while balancing demands of university.
Busy, productive working environment
Casual Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 June 2015
Typical day will consist of arriving for 6am to meet up with the lead-hand, who then delegates out the scheduled cleaning tasks to part time employees. Full time staff have set schedules.
Usually work alone. But if needed, lead-hand or manager will contact us via cell phone or pager.
Can be called off of schedule to tend to something that takes priority.
We do set up for exams in the gymnasiums.

I enjoy doing the set ups. I like the physicality of this job. Keeping myself moving, and learning new skills. Working alone and with coworkers. All around, a decent working environment.
Pros
Excellent manager to work for. Will acknowledge a job well done and reward with free lunch
Cons
Short staffed. Contract has restricted part time staff from working extra hours, even if we are available.
Productive and Challenging experience of scientific discovery
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 April 2015
Excellent place to work for someone with who loves challenges and innovation. I have learnt project management and leading a project with industrial partners. Management and co-workers are great. We share each other's expertise and we grow as a team. The hardest part comes when we face a burning challenge where no one to seek a help for- very common in a research environment. And the joy comes soon after when we manage to solve the problem and get the recognition.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Do not work for this Institution
I can't say (Former Employee) –  I can't say27 November 2014
Not a nice place to work
wide spread discrimination
many employees wrongfully terminate and escorted off the property
employees terminated while on sick leave
if your are an employee reporting to someone involved in an office romance watch out
Old culture
Faculty members are treated like gods, staff are treated disrespectfully
Women I know of have been harassed my tenured professors

Do not work there unless you are a student or wanting to start off your career. Trust me, few people make it to retirement at McMaster
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Toxic and discriminatory work environment.
a black hole of innovation
Administrative work (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 January 2015
The structure of the University means no departments communicate with each other. Often, people in different departments are doing the exact same projects, but not communicating with each other. Very inefficient!
Just look at how outdated the webiste is...that will give you a good idea of how fractured this institution is.
Pros
a lively environment
Cons
poor culture, poor management
Excellent people environment with co-workers and patients, above average compensation, exellent benefits and family-worklife balance
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Ontario9 October 2014
McMaster University is one of the best employers in Ontario and the reason is obvious. A strong work-life balance, above average compensation and benefits, staff awards, lifetime learning in any area of choice.

Mangers are well trained to deal with any situation and everyone works as part of a strong team.

Dealing with patients in a professional manner is always critical but training is readily available.
Pros
staff awards and events, education for life
Cons
large staff population so there is not the chance to meet others out of your faculty
Graduate student
M.A.Sc Mechincial Engineering (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 November 2015
While grad studies is always a difficult endeavour McMaster university chooses to make it harder by having incredibly poor wages (bairly livable in Hamilton). This is countered by the reasonable benefits, which are far in excess of most other universities. However these benefits are being compromised by poor management and stagnant wages. As of right now all the medical benefits were on the cutting block due to stagnant student wages.

Furthermore if you are not industrially funded you will be unlikely to get a position. And even still the university is taking the lion's share of the money and the students are living below their means.

This system is not sustainable and labour action is inevitable. Now the conservative government no longer forcing favourable arbitration decisions on the union, it is unlike the university can continue.

Good luck.
Pros
flexible hours, good benifits, excellent relationship oppritunities
Cons
poor wages, inappropriate student work envirorments, poor support strucuture benifits going to get cut
Allows for creativity
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 July 2014
I loved working with talented 3rd and 4th year students.
I fully appreciated the complexities of the task with
respect to the student culture, the faculty needs
and the supervisor's dual role.
I wasn't a fan of the parking authority. I also felt
the online part of the job posed too big a risk to
both my students and myself.
Also, they need a job center for music students--also
debt counselling.
And finally, the commute was ugly on so many days--hardest
winter ever.

Otherwise, music students, faculty and admin at McMaster U.
kick some ****!
Pros
great food on campus
Cons
parking services
very productive
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 April 2014
I am the Lead Floater for McMaster during the MCC medical exams. I delegate duties to other floaters during the day where we run documents from clinic to clinic throughout McMaster and other various duties.

This position is a very demanding role since it's important for the clinics to run as smoothly as possible from start to finish.

During these exams I work close to 24 hours in 2 days.

The hardest part of this job is how many different areas there are to look after. Usually there are 8-10 different clinics happening at once.
Pros
free snacks and lunch
Cons
walking distances
Intense but Successful Program in Financial Mathematics
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 January 2014
worked on the theory and practice of financial mathematics, including statistical properties of financial time series, derivative pricing models in complete and incomplete markets, fixed interest rate models, and portfolio risk management.

More generally, problems from all areas of industrial mathematics were discussed. With top talented students and knowledgeable, devoted faculty prepares students who have strong quantitative background to reach their dream jobs.
Pros
wide coverage of quantitative finance topics, knowledgeable faculty
Cons
short period, too intense
Current HR is a farce
Employment Administrator, Human Resources Services (Former Employee) –  Human Resources19 May 2012
Long service employees rarely get to see retirement if they are in the Management group. Current culture if the HR department isn't getting ride of older employees the big guy is not happy. I know of so may people that have been screwed over by the current management that it scares me. Only the lucky few that were already at their rule of 80 are able to retire. My suggestion is if you wish to work at McMaster University get into a Union job, that was the first thing my lawyer asked me was if my job was union an because it wasn't he told me that an employer can say any reason for release as long as they pay you enough
Productive and organized place to work at
Invigilator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 February 2013
Accommodating students such as answering questions, assisting professors and helping student for supplies, that are needed during exam time to create a stress free environment
Supervising students when writing exams, and maintaining the confidentiality of the students, professor, and exams. Also making sure no one cheats and plagiarizes. Moreover, collecting the exams putting them in order according to the professor's requirements and handing them over to the professor at the end of the exam period.
Pros
flexible shifts
Patient Simulator
Patient Simulator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 July 2013
This casual position is such a refreshing and rewarding change. The support staff and tutors are so helpful and imaginative.
It is a very co-operative environment, with the more experienced simulators eager to share stories and ideas for different scenarios.
It is a friendly atmosphere to work.
The exams are good for the simulator, as we observe each new student learning new skills in patient
interaction and communication.
Pros
Always stimulating
The University with a lake in its "back garden"
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 February 2014
The TA experience was the most impressive one during my master's program. Multiple tasks are required to be finished within a limited time, including leading tutorials, marking assignments and discussing of essays. Through talking with the cute first year undergraduate students, we also developed valuable skills to communicate effectively with others and learned to know the needs of the students.
A great universty to study Chemical egineering
Chemical Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 April 2014
McMaster university is a great place to study Chemical engineering. So far is one of the top university in chemical engineering because of its quality delivering of education and its unique choice of course materials that are basically industrial application based. Thus giving students a taste of the industry well in time.
Pros
good education
Cons
ave to work really hard
Amazing People, Good work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton10 July 2013
My day to day operation in the department would be handling phone calls, emails. and other communications with both students and faculty. I would be required to do any number of additional tasks from booking of rooms, to the upkeep of equipment, to cataloging the department's library.
Pros
Amazing People, Fun work, Great atmosphere
Cons
No lasting job security, no chance for further growth once out of school
Good environment to work in.
Teacher (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 February 2015
I am a part-time teacher at McMaster University.
I spend only a few hours each day at the University.
The staff, at any level, is very skilled and happy to help at any moment.
The management and my colleagues are helpful and fun to work with.
It is a really pleasure to work in this environment and to try to add my skills to form the future specialists.
Very productive and fun workplace to volunteer
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 May 2015
Three hours of volunteer.
Learned how to solve problems on my own.
Very good management.
Very friendly co-workers.
It is hard to be in front of the computer for three hours straight.
Everyone is very friendly and fun to work with.
Pros
Meet engineers
Cons
To much time on the computer
Productive and Fun to work at with flexible hours
Research Assistant, Photonic & Plasmonic Devices (Current Employee) –  Hamiton, ON28 November 2012
A typical day would involve research innovative ideas in the field of work, modelling and documenting the findings and results.

I continuously learn about new ideas in modelling and design techniques, theoretical aspects, presentations, and the ability to convey your idea clearly.

The supervisor is helpful with various ideas that, as a research assistant, you can build on. Co-workers are fun to be around and do not mind having a few chats to ease the stress.

The hardest part is also the most enjoyable part and that is developing an idea and seeing it grow and flourish
Pros
flexible hours, flexible management, and ability to explore
Cons
low pay, little experimental work, little interaction with industry or customers
University
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 November 2015
This job was filled with experiences that are hard to come by which allowed me to learn a lot and gave me opportunities to mature my self in an peer to peer environment.

4.3