McMaster University Employee Reviews

Great
Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 May 2017
I enjoyed the school spirit as well as the personable professors and tutors. The school was quite disorganised however they are constantly striving to improve.
Productive and fun workplace
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 May 2017
Very flexible in terms of balancing the teaching and personal research aspects. A lot of fun events all year round. Management for training is very well done.
Friendly environment where research and teaching are of high standards
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 May 2017
One of the top 100 universities in the world, where high end research projects are carried out. The job included leading tutorials and lab demonstrations for undergraduate engineering students.
Pros
Career development courses and workshops
Cons
Sometimes it gets stressful to keep up
fun place
Mac Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 May 2017
very enjoyable and flexible work hours. It was a joy to work at McMaster University. I couldn't have asked for a better place to work at. I gained a lot of exposure with regards to customer service and hospitality by becoming a part of this institution.
Pros
amazing co-workers
Good place
Nuclear Reactor Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 May 2017
McMaster is a good place to work at, working as the nuclear reactor tour guide was a great experience. It helped me enhance my public speaking skills, and gained valuable experience talking with different people of different ages.
Very productice and engaging environment
Student Success Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK1 May 2017
I was able to really engage with the faculty and community at large in terms of student population and provide vital services for students seeking help in academic, social, and careers.
Pros
Great environment and amazing line of support.
Cons
Unbalanced hours.
Eng 1 ta
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 May 2017
I was an ENG 1 TA, the people I worked with were great and we were treated well by the course instructors.
As an ENG 1 TA my job focused on assisting students during AUTODESK labs and marking Autodesk submissions. There aren't a lot of hours but the pay is still pretty decent and that meant I had enough time to keep up with my other courses.
Pros
Great place to work over all
Great School
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 April 2017
McMaster is a really great university. It's not too big but big enough, the faculty is extremely helpful, and the campus itself is pretty beautiful. There are still come buildings that have been on campus since the birth of the Uni. The courses were transparent and if you had any problems, you were able to get in touch with a prof, if not, there were many informed teaching assistants nearby. There are also many extracurricular programs that you can join (whether in sports, or academic, or cultural, etc.).
Teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anthropology Department28 April 2017
Specifically as a teaching assistant, applied for as a graduate student- 3 consecutive semesters in this capacity.
Generally good supervision although I was a teaching assistant for an arts program and sometimes the professor for the course was ill-suited. You will be expected to keep regular office hours, usually a designated hour a week BUT you can get away with doing "appointment only" office hours if you have a busy schedule.
Students I worked with were either there to learn more or there to argue to the bitter end. It is important to have patience.
Grading can be tedious and a lot of students don't bother looking at the feedback so I kept it short and concise. Students did argue their grades and ask for another grade. If they had a compelling argument I would re-grade the assignment but let them know that this would not guarantee them a better mark if I found an error I had missed in my original grading. Professors were good about standing with the TA's decision and would take over if students got aggressive.
Pros
Pay is excellent, hours are not too demanding
Cons
Students arguing their grades after explaining why they received that grade, students thinking that they know more than teachers, when papers come in it can be a heavy workload for a few days
Scsn
Community Assistant, SCSN (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 April 2017
I have had several jobs at McMaster. They have all been contract positions. I find that overall the workload is very heavy and students are overworked and under paid.
Okay
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dept of Mathematics and Statistics5 April 2017
It was okay. Pay was poor. Guidance was minimum. My experience not good. I faced unfair distribution of work. Student's fees keep increasing scholarships dont.
Earning money while getting an education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 March 2017
McMaster provides great opportunities for graduate students to showcase their research. TA-ships are great for students looking to get into teaching and education.
Helping mold young minds while being compensated very well.
Student Researcher/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 March 2017
As a graduate teaching assistant I was responsible for helping my professor with some of the responsibilities of running an undergraduate level economics course. The work was fulfilling and the compensation was excellent. My most enjoyable position thus far.
Pros
Nearly everything
Cons
Only part-time, conditional on tenure as a graduate student
Well organized, organization
Parking Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2017
Forward thinking environment, encourages individual growth through collaborative group participation.
Multicultural environment
Educational opportunities open to all employees
Pros
Forward thinking environment
Productive with friendly colleagues and patient managers
Employee Clerk (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 March 2017
My daily work was Introducing the menu and prepared food for customers based on their need in a confident and pleasant manner, as well as introducing new employees to the organization and trained them individually.
Pros
free lunches
working at Macmaster is okay and good pay
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 March 2017
working at Macmaster is okay and good pay. you get pay for 15 minutes breaks and you only get a 30 minute lunch and the managers are okay not perfect no one is perfect
Engaing and interesting place to work,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 March 2017
This was only a temporary position, but I was often the first 'point of contact' for most customers coming into The Campus Store. I am a real 'people person', so I loved engaging with the University students.
Pros
People
Cons
Just a temporary job
Great opportunity to partake in research and work independently.
Research Nurse Hutterite Influenza Study (Former Employee) –  Canada22 February 2017
Recruitment of study participants, obtaining consent, completion of nasal pharyngeal testing and phlebotomy and a whole lot of paperwork. Organizational skills and integrity absolutely required.
Pros
Autonomy and working with the Hutterite community.
Cons
Management supervision of study nurse integrity questionable at times.
Its a job
General cafeteria wkrker (Former Employee) –  Quads15 February 2017
Could use salary update and benifets that meet the rigors of the job.s somewhat repetitive tasks.students need course in pleasantry
Pros
Job
Cons
Money is just above poverty line.
From the perspective of an Undergrad Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2017
In both cases was able to keep good relations with Teaching Assistants. Colleagues are typically nice. Supervisor was reasonable in both cases. Good way to get a reference when you graduate.

Easier to work and study full-time when you are closer to school. Can become difficult to TA when taking 6-7 courses per semester, especially when you have assessments with little time given (take home tests, for example).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3