McMaster University

McMaster University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Academic workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), HamiltonJuly 1, 2013
Working as a graduate research assistant under supervision of knowledgeable professors of university helped me toward getting my masters degree.
team work
Photographer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 6, 2013
A great experience with a great team. I love my co-workers because everyone tried to help other to improve their work.
Good Place
Teaching Assistant of Undergraduate Courses (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 15, 2013
It is of a lot of fun with the TA work. By giving tutorials, marking and leading labs, I have been more patient. My oral English and communication skills have been improved a lot.
Research Assistant/Technician (Immunology lab)
RESEARCH ASSISTANT/LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 7, 2013
- I have enjoyed my experience at McMaster University working in an immunological lab. A typical day involves assisting M.Sc. candidates with various protocols and other technical aspects involved in their specific projects, in addition to conducting and planning experiments that relate to my interests.
- I have learned many technical skills relating – more... to PCR, qPCR, ELISAs, flow cytometry, and mammalian cell culture. Many of these techniques require troubleshooting which I find is the most important aspect in fully understanding a technique. Although occasionaly I find experimental outcomes are unsuccessful, the process of optimizing a technique for its success is extremely beneficial and so experimental failure can be regarded as a positive rather than a negative.
- Management is conducted by my PI who is extremely helpful and patient.
- The co-workers change from time to time, with the influx of new students, which presents a fresh start for teaching techniques. I find this useful in furthering my understanding of a technique as well as promoting my teaching skills.
- The hardest part of the job is probably knowing how to efficiently manage your time and understanding how to conduct an experiment that will work correctly the first time.
- The most enjoyable part of the job for me is figuring out ways to ask specific questions experimentally. – less
Flexible hours
Web Developer - A University (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 20, 2013
Working at the McMaster while studying at the same university was a good experience. The departments are very considerate of students and realize that there are times when you may not be able to make it to work The hours are flexible and they set schedules according to your class schedule.
Community Director (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 19, 2013
Best university even been, I made a lot of friends here, people are welcome
Productive and organized place to work at
Invigilator (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: flexible shifts
Accommodating students such as answering questions, assisting professors and helping student for supplies, that are needed during exam time to create a stress free environment
Supervising students when writing exams, and maintaining the confidentiality of the students, professor, and exams. Also making sure no one cheats and plagiarizes. Moreover, collecting – more... the exams putting them in order according to the professor's requirements and handing them over to the professor at the end of the exam period. – less
productive and initiative
Student CCRA (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Organised.
disciplined
well established program.
competitive
fair
well paid
Great atmosphere with enthusiastic energy.
Leadership Program Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: limited hours
As a casual employee, a typical day would be working in between breaks from classes. Work to be done included coordinating with externals, attending meetings with other staff, and providing support to the program direct where needed.
Through this ongoing work experience, I have developed stronger communication skills both in oral and written.
Management – more... here is great. They are very flexible and understanding to the needs of a student.
Working along side other students is a bit challenging, however it allowed me to further develop my skills as a team player.
The hardest part of the job is the fact that there is no specific outcome, rather a mission to be followed to achieve the goal of the organization. Having no clear cut expectations is a challenge, but the open-ended opportunities allow me to be innovative and creative.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get to work with others. Having the opportunity to interact with students or faculty in a team setting provides a challenging yet energetic atmosphere. – less
Awesome place to work and amazing experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 22, 2013
To be a teaching assistant was the best job I ever had, helping other students with same level of problems that I have been through.
Doing presentations, labs, tutorials and marking tests, assignments.
My supervisor - Professor was really flexible. It was really comfortable working with him, he is an amazing professor as well as a mentor.
Nice environment
Research Assistant, Wireless Networking Lab (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 24, 2013
Nice environment to do research, helpful professors and staff.
Loved the job
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: best supervisor
Cons: not enough pay
- It was unique and new task and problem everyday everyday
- i learned a lot about vibration analysis
Warm environment with good study opportunities
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, OnJanuary 15, 2013
Distinguished faculty, Welcoming staff and nice place to work and learn :)
Great Co-workers and learning opportunities
Clinical Research Nurse (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 15, 2013
Significant variability in day-to day function. Difficult slow periods alternating with fast-paced busy periods. Highly unpredictable. Challenging.
Many learning opportunities.
Management of Clinical trials.
Gained practical knowledge of exercising and progression
Strength and Conditioning Coach Volunteer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 13, 2012
Pros: learned new exercise techniques every week
Cons: staff meetings where at 6 am, hard to balance with school
- A typical day at work was either on the field or in the weight room. In the field we would run sprinting, long distance running, and games to help improve cardiovascular fitness. In the weight room we would assist in athletes with their training program making sure technique is correct and also spotting athletes.
-I learned a bunch of exercises and – more... techniques and stretches for certain conditions, taping of ankles and apply them to athletes
-management was very energetic, they would host staff meetings everyweek to learn new exercises and techniques
-co-workers where all kinesiology student volunteer and part time.
- hardest part of the job was the early staff meetings that where at 6am on wednesdays.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experience. It was the fact that they would teach us many different things and we would train like athletes in order to help teach and coach the athletes their strength and conditioning program. – less
Productive and Fun to work at with flexible hours
Research Assistant, Photonic & Plasmonic Devices (Current Employee), Hamiton, ONNovember 28, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, flexible management, and ability to explore
Cons: low pay, little experimental work, little interaction with industry or customers
A typical day would involve research innovative ideas in the field of work, modelling and documenting the findings and results.

I continuously learn about new ideas in modelling and design techniques, theoretical aspects, presentations, and the ability to convey your idea clearly.

The supervisor is helpful with various ideas that, as a research assistant, – more... you can build on. Co-workers are fun to be around and do not mind having a few chats to ease the stress.

The hardest part is also the most enjoyable part and that is developing an idea and seeing it grow and flourish – less
world-leading medical institute
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 18, 2012
Pros: incredible learning experience professionally (and academically)
Cons: highly competitive atmosphere
Being in Basic Research the hours are unforgiving but gratifying
Fun, productive, enjoyable workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 5, 2012
Pros: great working environment, feeling productive
Cons: machines would break down
- A typical day would start off by me opening the lab, checking the pumps oil level, and turning on the machines. Once the machines were on I would calibrate then begin running samples, keeping an organized record of the samples ran (hard copy logbook, as well as a digital copy). Throughout the day I would receive a bunch of internal as well as external – more... samples that I would then log into the "Sample Log Book". If we needed chemicals or supplies, I would then go to the McMaster Chemical or Supply store to purchase the required items. At the end of the day I would clean my work space and properly shut down my machine.

- The hardest part of the job was, when a sample didnt show the proper peak, knowing what to add to make the peak appear, while also not adding anything that would damage the sample.

- The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to work in a fun environment, while still being productive. – less
McMaster is a very good university
Teacher assistant (Current Employee), Faculty HumanitiesOctober 31, 2012
McMaster is a very good university, we do not have too many classes per week for each teacher so that we can take good care of our students.
Work Place
Instructor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 29, 2012
Culture is different from Orient. I have learnt to endure the Work pattern over here.
Overall I have enjoyed my stay over here.

About McMaster University

McMaster University (commonly referred to as McMaster or Mac) is a public research university whose main campus is located in – Read more

McMaster University Photos