McMaster University

McMaster University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and Rewarding
Community Advisor (Former Employee), Hamilton, OnAugust 28, 2013
This role was fun and personally rewarding, however it required a great deal of time management skills from anyone in this role.
Great working environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 3, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: campus parking
Perfect place to build a career and work in an institution that cares about it's employees. Sorry I left in 2008.
mostly work alone easy work
Security Guard (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 26, 2013
Pros: easy work
Cons: low pay
This was my one of my first full time jobs , did a lot of walking of my route checking doors and buildings parking lots keeping a eye open for any troble
Amazing People, Good work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), HamiltonJuly 10, 2013
Pros: amazing people, fun work, great atmosphere
Cons: no lasting job security, no chance for further growth once out of school
My day to day operation in the department would be handling phone calls, emails. and other communications with both students and faculty. I would be required to do any number of additional tasks from booking of rooms, to the upkeep of equipment, to cataloging the department's library.
Patient Simulator
Patient Simulator (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 10, 2013
Pros: always stimulating
This casual position is such a refreshing and rewarding change. The support staff and tutors are so helpful and imaginative.
It is a very co-operative environment, with the more experienced simulators eager to share stories and ideas for different scenarios.
It is a friendly atmosphere to work.
The exams are good for the simulator, as we observe each – more... new student learning new skills in patient
interaction and communication. – less
Academic workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), HamiltonJuly 1, 2013
Working as a graduate research assistant under supervision of knowledgeable professors of university helped me toward getting my masters degree.
team work
Photographer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 6, 2013
A great experience with a great team. I love my co-workers because everyone tried to help other to improve their work.
Good Place
Teaching Assistant of Undergraduate Courses (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 15, 2013
It is of a lot of fun with the TA work. By giving tutorials, marking and leading labs, I have been more patient. My oral English and communication skills have been improved a lot.
Research Assistant/Technician (Immunology lab)
RESEARCH ASSISTANT/LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 7, 2013
- I have enjoyed my experience at McMaster University working in an immunological lab. A typical day involves assisting M.Sc. candidates with various protocols and other technical aspects involved in their specific projects, in addition to conducting and planning experiments that relate to my interests.
- I have learned many technical skills relating – more... to PCR, qPCR, ELISAs, flow cytometry, and mammalian cell culture. Many of these techniques require troubleshooting which I find is the most important aspect in fully understanding a technique. Although occasionaly I find experimental outcomes are unsuccessful, the process of optimizing a technique for its success is extremely beneficial and so experimental failure can be regarded as a positive rather than a negative.
- Management is conducted by my PI who is extremely helpful and patient.
- The co-workers change from time to time, with the influx of new students, which presents a fresh start for teaching techniques. I find this useful in furthering my understanding of a technique as well as promoting my teaching skills.
- The hardest part of the job is probably knowing how to efficiently manage your time and understanding how to conduct an experiment that will work correctly the first time.
- The most enjoyable part of the job for me is figuring out ways to ask specific questions experimentally. – less
Flexible hours
Web Developer - A University (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 20, 2013
Working at the McMaster while studying at the same university was a good experience. The departments are very considerate of students and realize that there are times when you may not be able to make it to work The hours are flexible and they set schedules according to your class schedule.
Community Director (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 19, 2013
Best university even been, I made a lot of friends here, people are welcome
Productive and organized place to work at
Invigilator (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: flexible shifts
Accommodating students such as answering questions, assisting professors and helping student for supplies, that are needed during exam time to create a stress free environment
Supervising students when writing exams, and maintaining the confidentiality of the students, professor, and exams. Also making sure no one cheats and plagiarizes. Moreover, collecting – more... the exams putting them in order according to the professor's requirements and handing them over to the professor at the end of the exam period. – less
productive and initiative
Student CCRA (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Organised.
disciplined
well established program.
competitive
fair
well paid
Great atmosphere with enthusiastic energy.
Leadership Program Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: limited hours
As a casual employee, a typical day would be working in between breaks from classes. Work to be done included coordinating with externals, attending meetings with other staff, and providing support to the program direct where needed.
Through this ongoing work experience, I have developed stronger communication skills both in oral and written.
Management – more... here is great. They are very flexible and understanding to the needs of a student.
Working along side other students is a bit challenging, however it allowed me to further develop my skills as a team player.
The hardest part of the job is the fact that there is no specific outcome, rather a mission to be followed to achieve the goal of the organization. Having no clear cut expectations is a challenge, but the open-ended opportunities allow me to be innovative and creative.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get to work with others. Having the opportunity to interact with students or faculty in a team setting provides a challenging yet energetic atmosphere. – less
Awesome place to work and amazing experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 22, 2013
To be a teaching assistant was the best job I ever had, helping other students with same level of problems that I have been through.
Doing presentations, labs, tutorials and marking tests, assignments.
My supervisor - Professor was really flexible. It was really comfortable working with him, he is an amazing professor as well as a mentor.
Nice environment
Research Assistant, Wireless Networking Lab (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 24, 2013
Nice environment to do research, helpful professors and staff.
Loved the job
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: best supervisor
Cons: not enough pay
- It was unique and new task and problem everyday everyday
- i learned a lot about vibration analysis
Warm environment with good study opportunities
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, OnJanuary 15, 2013
Distinguished faculty, Welcoming staff and nice place to work and learn :)
Great Co-workers and learning opportunities
Clinical Research Nurse (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 15, 2013
Significant variability in day-to day function. Difficult slow periods alternating with fast-paced busy periods. Highly unpredictable. Challenging.
Many learning opportunities.
Management of Clinical trials.
Gained practical knowledge of exercising and progression
Strength and Conditioning Coach Volunteer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 13, 2012
Pros: learned new exercise techniques every week
Cons: staff meetings where at 6 am, hard to balance with school
- A typical day at work was either on the field or in the weight room. In the field we would run sprinting, long distance running, and games to help improve cardiovascular fitness. In the weight room we would assist in athletes with their training program making sure technique is correct and also spotting athletes.
-I learned a bunch of exercises and – more... techniques and stretches for certain conditions, taping of ankles and apply them to athletes
-management was very energetic, they would host staff meetings everyweek to learn new exercises and techniques
-co-workers where all kinesiology student volunteer and part time.
- hardest part of the job was the early staff meetings that where at 6am on wednesdays.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experience. It was the fact that they would teach us many different things and we would train like athletes in order to help teach and coach the athletes their strength and conditioning program. – less

About McMaster University

McMaster University (commonly referred to as McMaster or Mac) is a public research university whose main campus is located in – Read more

McMaster University Photos