McMaster University

McMaster University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A little stressful. The supervisor is very helpful
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 7, 2013
Pros: learned a lot
Cons: stress
Very difficult at the beginning but the life was a lot better after I became productive and familiar with the routines and techniques.
A great entry level teaching job
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 2, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, good pay
Cons: high work load
Work is primarily carried out in the class room, it is therefore an independent work environment. High paced work and lots of it. The work is difficult for students to complete in conjunction with their own responsibilities as MA students, albeit rewarding.
Productive and collegial atmosphere
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 30, 2013
Pros: rewarding
As a teaching assistant, I taught undergraduate students in areas of physiology, reproduction, endocrinology, ecology, animal behaviour, and child development psychology. I learned how to teach undergraduate students, and facilitate group discussions.
alots to learn
MICROCOMPUTER SUPPORT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Hamilton, ON.November 28, 2013
the best part was that I had to learn everything by myself with no supervision so I was more busy with learning and applying my knowledge
VERY ACTIVE PRODUCTIVE ,VERY TALANTED
Trauma Fellow (Current Employee), HAMILTON,ON,HAMILTON GENERAL HOSPITALNovember 15, 2013
Pros: very punctual and to the point
Cons: shy, keep a very low profile, hate showbiz
I'M AN EXTREMELY ACTIVE PRODUCTIVE AND VERY FLEXIBLE PERSON WITH EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE AND GOOD LATERAL THINKING.
I WORK UNDER EXTREME PRESSURE CONDITIONS
I RESPECT MY SENIORS
I LOVE MY WORK AND PUT ALL MY TIME ONTO MY JOB
Good university job
Researcher (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 18, 2013
Loads to learn and helpful, intelligent people to support you during the process
Part time work
MBA Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 5, 2013
A lot of take home work for 3 hrs a week. But the hourly pay more than makes up for that.
A fun job to supplement my student work.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 1, 2013
Pros: convenient hours, convenient location, great pay, stimulating work
Cons: a lot of work especially during exam time. it was hard to balance everyones expectations
Working as a Teaching Assistant was a part-time position where I led two tutorial groups of first year students twice a week each. The tutorials including helping students understand the material from lectures, supplementary readings, group work, marking presentations, tests and exams. I also held office hours where I provided students with feedback – more... on their marks and rough drafts of papers. The professors I worked for were generally too busy with their own work to offer much over sight so the job was very independent. They usually answered any questions we had through E-mail and occasional meetings. The hardest part of the job was meeting expectations with little over sight. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting students to think outside the box and see things from new perspectives. – less
Excellent academic
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 25, 2013
Productive academic environment filled with talented people.
It was a lot of fun and great environment for learning
Senior Student Consultant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: it was a great opportunity to gain technical know-how
Cons: you could only be a student
I would go to work after classes or in between classes and help patrons with computer related problems. It was always fulfilling to see the joy of a satisfied client.
Fun and Rewarding
Community Advisor (Former Employee), Hamilton, OnAugust 28, 2013
This role was fun and personally rewarding, however it required a great deal of time management skills from anyone in this role.
Great working environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 3, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: campus parking
Perfect place to build a career and work in an institution that cares about it's employees. Sorry I left in 2008.
mostly work alone easy work
Security Guard (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 26, 2013
Pros: easy work
Cons: low pay
This was my one of my first full time jobs , did a lot of walking of my route checking doors and buildings parking lots keeping a eye open for any troble
Amazing People, Good work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), HamiltonJuly 10, 2013
Pros: amazing people, fun work, great atmosphere
Cons: no lasting job security, no chance for further growth once out of school
My day to day operation in the department would be handling phone calls, emails. and other communications with both students and faculty. I would be required to do any number of additional tasks from booking of rooms, to the upkeep of equipment, to cataloging the department's library.
Patient Simulator
Patient Simulator (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 10, 2013
Pros: always stimulating
This casual position is such a refreshing and rewarding change. The support staff and tutors are so helpful and imaginative.
It is a very co-operative environment, with the more experienced simulators eager to share stories and ideas for different scenarios.
It is a friendly atmosphere to work.
The exams are good for the simulator, as we observe each – more... new student learning new skills in patient
interaction and communication. – less
Academic workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), HamiltonJuly 1, 2013
Working as a graduate research assistant under supervision of knowledgeable professors of university helped me toward getting my masters degree.
team work
Photographer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 6, 2013
A great experience with a great team. I love my co-workers because everyone tried to help other to improve their work.
Good Place
Teaching Assistant of Undergraduate Courses (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 15, 2013
It is of a lot of fun with the TA work. By giving tutorials, marking and leading labs, I have been more patient. My oral English and communication skills have been improved a lot.
Research Assistant/Technician (Immunology lab)
RESEARCH ASSISTANT/LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 7, 2013
- I have enjoyed my experience at McMaster University working in an immunological lab. A typical day involves assisting M.Sc. candidates with various protocols and other technical aspects involved in their specific projects, in addition to conducting and planning experiments that relate to my interests.
- I have learned many technical skills relating – more... to PCR, qPCR, ELISAs, flow cytometry, and mammalian cell culture. Many of these techniques require troubleshooting which I find is the most important aspect in fully understanding a technique. Although occasionaly I find experimental outcomes are unsuccessful, the process of optimizing a technique for its success is extremely beneficial and so experimental failure can be regarded as a positive rather than a negative.
- Management is conducted by my PI who is extremely helpful and patient.
- The co-workers change from time to time, with the influx of new students, which presents a fresh start for teaching techniques. I find this useful in furthering my understanding of a technique as well as promoting my teaching skills.
- The hardest part of the job is probably knowing how to efficiently manage your time and understanding how to conduct an experiment that will work correctly the first time.
- The most enjoyable part of the job for me is figuring out ways to ask specific questions experimentally. – less
Flexible hours
Web Developer - A University (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 20, 2013
Working at the McMaster while studying at the same university was a good experience. The departments are very considerate of students and realize that there are times when you may not be able to make it to work The hours are flexible and they set schedules according to your class schedule.

About McMaster University

McMaster University (commonly referred to as McMaster or Mac) is a public research university whose main campus is located in – Read more

McMaster University Photos