McMaster University

McMaster University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun, productive, enjoyable workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 5, 2012
Pros: great working environment, feeling productive
Cons: machines would break down
- A typical day would start off by me opening the lab, checking the pumps oil level, and turning on the machines. Once the machines were on I would calibrate then begin running samples, keeping an organized record of the samples ran (hard copy logbook, as well as a digital copy). Throughout the day I would receive a bunch of internal as well as external – more... samples that I would then log into the "Sample Log Book". If we needed chemicals or supplies, I would then go to the McMaster Chemical or Supply store to purchase the required items. At the end of the day I would clean my work space and properly shut down my machine.

- The hardest part of the job was, when a sample didnt show the proper peak, knowing what to add to make the peak appear, while also not adding anything that would damage the sample.

- The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to work in a fun environment, while still being productive. – less
McMaster is a very good university
Teacher assistant (Current Employee), Faculty HumanitiesOctober 31, 2012
McMaster is a very good university, we do not have too many classes per week for each teacher so that we can take good care of our students.
Work Place
Instructor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 29, 2012
Culture is different from Orient. I have learnt to endure the Work pattern over here.
Overall I have enjoyed my stay over here.
Good place for student working experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 28, 2012
very good payment and benefit for employees, I worked at McMaster as a teaching and research assistant, I am satisfied with the work experience at the University.
fast paced environment. There is always something to do.
cashier/ cafeteria attendant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 18, 2012
Pros: great wages, et..
Cons: part time positions only
I enjoyed doing various jobs and working with people. I like that it was a fast pace. I like to keep busy.
First opportunity for management role and responsibilities
Hospitality Services Manager (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 17, 2012
Pros: free lunches, good pay
Cons: work is demanding, a lot of responsibilities
Great location, on-campus, good for students
Very lively and social
Cool atmosphere
A great experience
Assembler (temporary position) (Former Employee), David Braley Institute, Hamilton, ONOctober 8, 2012
Pros: intelligent staff, beautiful facility, opportunity to learn new things
Cons: long hours spent at the computer, repetitive
This was a temporary position. The position evolved from a assembling Lab kits for on ongoing international study, to a data entry clerk, This was a wonderful opportunity to learn something very different from my field of study in education and psychology. I learned how to do invoicing with the shipping and receiving department and to follow strict – more... protocols when assembling medical supplies. I also spent a vast amount of time learning new data entry tables, and entering in a large amount of data efficiently. I am always eager to learn about new things, and this job provided that window. The most difficult part of this particular job was the extended time sitting in front of a computer. Also, knowing that it was a temporary position, it did not provide any job security in the long run. All the personnel were friendly and helpful to the new data entry staff and I would welcome an opportunity to work there again – less
Good hours
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), HamiltonOctober 2, 2012
administrative duties such as marking tests, reports and quizzes, compiling grades.
It was fun working with students
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 24, 2012
-Enjoyed working with students.
-Had to solve different assignments for the students.
-The hardest part was to check assignments and exam scripts.
A very honourable place to work and to gain experience
Research Associate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: excellent team and supervisors
Cons: no job security or further chances
I enjoyed every day of my job. But the problem is that once your contract is over you have no way to go.
Great way to gain valuable skills and leaves time for one's own education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: great hours, fun setting, informative sessions, very rewarding experience
Cons: some students do not get involved in discussion (tough to motivate some students)
The best part of running tutorials was interacting with the students. This was a great way of not only learning in a class setting but also connecting with fellow students. I learned that I was able to communicate effectively and teach them something; most of the students had positive results. My co-workers, also students, were always helpful if I had – more... questions about something, and the professor who oversaw the class was very informative and helpful with the material we ourselves had to teach the students. The hours were excellent; there was always time to do my own work as well as to attend to my tutorial responsibilities. This is definitely a position which I'll miss. – less
Relaxed work environment with good focus on exploring solutions
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 18, 2012
A typical day usually involves many hours of programming to work on a project. It is easy and encouraged to spend a generous amount of time finding alternative solutions and looking for research to help in the design of solutions.
Good University
Teaching-Assistant/Research-Grad-Student (Former Employee), CanadaAugust 6, 2012
Pros: .
Cons: .
A good atmosphere, the school supports many different studies
Project Management
Project Consultant/Manager (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 16, 2012
A Project Management Assignment with renewable technology
For students it's not the best place.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 7, 2012
For students it's not the best place, because of the very low payment and high expetations from some of the supervisours.
Senior Student Consultant
Senior Student Consultant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 14, 2012
Pros: flexible work hours and project
Cons: constant change of management
The Senior Student Consultant (SSC) is an hybrid position of both summer full time position and part-time position during the regular school term.
Summer
During the summer, the SSC team (5-7) develops projects which might help the students labs, University Technology Services (UTS), and managing the team of Student Consultants (SC) during the school – more... year. The summer projects include lab machine monitoring system which monitors login activity and software usage of each user, digital display system which displays lab usage and status via Java/SQL/HTML. During the summer, the SSC team is responsible of representing UTS in various outreach events for new students. At the end of the summer, a training day will be held bt the SSC team and training will be provided to the SCs of group size up to 50.

School Term
During the school term, the team's main responsibility is to manage all of the SCs (up to 80) and keep student labs running smoothly. We provide on going assistance and training to any SCs that need help as well as customer service to professors. We work with the maintenance crew to keep the lab machines up to date and repair any hardware/software issues that arises during the term. The SSC team is also responsible to micromanage the SCs and host social events for team building. The SSC team is also involved in interviewing and picking out the SC team for the next year. – less
Excellent workplace
Researcher (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 11, 2012
McMaster provides project opportunities for new researchers and offers terrific mentoring and coaching support.
Current HR is a farce
Employment Administrator, Human Resources Services (Former Employee), Human ResourcesMay 19, 2012
Long service employees rarely get to see retirement if they are in the Management group. Current culture if the HR department isn't getting ride of older employees the big guy is not happy. I know of so may people that have been screwed over by the current management that it scares me. Only the lucky few that were already at their rule of 80 are able – more... to retire. My suggestion is if you wish to work at McMaster University get into a Union job, that was the first thing my lawyer asked me was if my job was union an because it wasn't he told me that an employer can say any reason for release as long as they pay you enough – less
very good opportunity to learn
CNC Operator (Former Employee), Hamilton,ontarioApril 24, 2012
Pros: never give up
Cons: spelling mistake
very less time to finish the project. so to finish work we have to work late nights(they have provision to pay only for eight hours)
but my instructor and me work for twelve hours just to finish projects
Flexible hours
Web Developer - A University (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 20, 2013
Working at the McMaster while studying at the same university was a good experience. The departments are very considerate of students and realize that there are times when you may not be able to make it to work The hours are flexible and they set schedules according to your class schedule.