McMaster University Employee Reviews

Intense but Successful Program in Financial Mathematics
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 12, 2014
worked on the theory and practice of financial mathematics, including statistical properties of financial time series, derivative pricing models in complete and incomplete markets, fixed interest rate models, and portfolio risk management.

More generally, problems from all areas of industrial mathematics were discussed. With top talented students and knowledgeable, devoted faculty prepares students who have strong quantitative background to reach their dream jobs.
Pros
wide coverage of quantitative finance topics, knowledgeable faculty
Cons
short period, too intense
study here for 2 years, very impression experience.
Project management training (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 6, 2015
The professor is very professional and the students can have a great live and study balance.study here for 7 years, very impression experience.
Great atmosphere with enthusiastic energy.
Leadership Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 22, 2013
As a casual employee, a typical day would be working in between breaks from classes. Work to be done included coordinating with externals, attending meetings with other staff, and providing support to the program direct where needed.
Through this ongoing work experience, I have developed stronger communication skills both in oral and written.
Management here is great. They are very flexible and understanding to the needs of a student.
Working along side other students is a bit challenging, however it allowed me to further develop my skills as a team player.
The hardest part of the job is the fact that there is no specific outcome, rather a mission to be followed to achieve the goal of the organization. Having no clear cut expectations is a challenge, but the open-ended opportunities allow me to be innovative and creative.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get to work with others. Having the opportunity to interact with students or faculty in a team setting provides a challenging yet energetic atmosphere.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
limited hours
Good environment to work in.
Teacher (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 5, 2015
I am a part-time teacher at McMaster University.
I spend only a few hours each day at the University.
The staff, at any level, is very skilled and happy to help at any moment.
The management and my colleagues are helpful and fun to work with.
It is a really pleasure to work in this environment and to try to add my skills to form the future specialists.
Gained practical knowledge of exercising and progression
Strength and Conditioning Coach Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 13, 2012
- A typical day at work was either on the field or in the weight room. In the field we would run sprinting, long distance running, and games to help improve cardiovascular fitness. In the weight room we would assist in athletes with their training program making sure technique is correct and also spotting athletes.
-I learned a bunch of exercises and techniques and stretches for certain conditions, taping of ankles and apply them to athletes
-management was very energetic, they would host staff meetings everyweek to learn new exercises and techniques
-co-workers where all kinesiology student volunteer and part time.
- hardest part of the job was the early staff meetings that where at 6am on wednesdays.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experience. It was the fact that they would teach us many different things and we would train like athletes in order to help teach and coach the athletes their strength and conditioning program.
Pros
learned new exercise techniques every week
Cons
staff meetings where at 6 am, hard to balance with school
Allows for creativity
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 2, 2014
I loved working with talented 3rd and 4th year students.
I fully appreciated the complexities of the task with
respect to the student culture, the faculty needs
and the supervisor's dual role.
I wasn't a fan of the parking authority. I also felt
the online part of the job posed too big a risk to
both my students and myself.
Also, they need a job center for music students--also
debt counselling.
And finally, the commute was ugly on so many days--hardest
winter ever.

Otherwise, music students, faculty and admin at McMaster U.
kick some ****!
Pros
great food on campus
Cons
parking services
Competitive work environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 20, 2014
A challenging and engaging work environment. Highly competitive and rewarding.
Pros
free dinners
Cons
Great way to gain valuable skills and leaves time for one's own education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 14, 2012
The best part of running tutorials was interacting with the students. This was a great way of not only learning in a class setting but also connecting with fellow students. I learned that I was able to communicate effectively and teach them something; most of the students had positive results. My co-workers, also students, were always helpful if I had questions about something, and the professor who oversaw the class was very informative and helpful with the material we ourselves had to teach the students. The hours were excellent; there was always time to do my own work as well as to attend to my tutorial responsibilities. This is definitely a position which I'll miss.
Pros
great hours, fun setting, informative sessions, very rewarding experience
Cons
some students do not get involved in discussion (tough to motivate some students)
Great place
Presider, Invigilator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2015
Get to work before time, to sign in, and set-up
co-workers are great
the hardest part is standing at one spot, or walking around depending on where you are, the floor makes a lot of sound
helping the students with certain questions
Educational and enjoyable workplace
Social Psychology Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 25, 2014
I lead seminars of approximately 30 students to review and discuss materials from lecture. After that I hold an office hour for students with more complex questions that do not relate directly to the seminars. I've learned and improved on many skills doing so. These involve public speaking, presentation preparation, and keeping lines of steady communication with my students. All of the teaching assistants are managed by professor Glavin. He does an excellent job of outlining what must be accomplished and gives us a great deal of flexibility in how we meet these goals. My co-workers are both knowledgeable and helpful. We are a team in helping each other to succeed. The most difficult part of the job is marking. It can be long and sometimes tedious. However, it is a small price to pay for the experience. The most enjoyable part by far is leading seminars. Interacting with students to solve problems is very rewarding.
Amazing People, Good work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  HamiltonJuly 10, 2013
My day to day operation in the department would be handling phone calls, emails. and other communications with both students and faculty. I would be required to do any number of additional tasks from booking of rooms, to the upkeep of equipment, to cataloging the department's library.
Pros
amazing people, fun work, great atmosphere
Cons
no lasting job security, no chance for further growth once out of school
Excellent research culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 22, 2014
Excellent autonomy. I was able to come into the lab and work on my own schedule so long as tasks were completed. Coworkers were great. Opportunities for growth dependant on work completed.
Pros
work culture, management, life balance
Fun, productive, enjoyable workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 5, 2012
- A typical day would start off by me opening the lab, checking the pumps oil level, and turning on the machines. Once the machines were on I would calibrate then begin running samples, keeping an organized record of the samples ran (hard copy logbook, as well as a digital copy). Throughout the day I would receive a bunch of internal as well as external samples that I would then log into the "Sample Log Book". If we needed chemicals or supplies, I would then go to the McMaster Chemical or Supply store to purchase the required items. At the end of the day I would clean my work space and properly shut down my machine.

- The hardest part of the job was, when a sample didnt show the proper peak, knowing what to add to make the peak appear, while also not adding anything that would damage the sample.

- The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to work in a fun environment, while still being productive.
Pros
great working environment, feeling productive
Cons
machines would break down
Neurology Research Fellow; McMaster University
Co- Principal investigator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 13, 2015
- patient interaction (History taking, Examination, Discussion with supervisor)
- Formulating patient management plan
- Interaction with team workers
- Phone calls and discussion with the multidisciplinary teams
Pros
not applicable
Cons
not applicable
A fun job to supplement my student work.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 1, 2013
Working as a Teaching Assistant was a part-time position where I led two tutorial groups of first year students twice a week each. The tutorials including helping students understand the material from lectures, supplementary readings, group work, marking presentations, tests and exams. I also held office hours where I provided students with feedback on their marks and rough drafts of papers. The professors I worked for were generally too busy with their own work to offer much over sight so the job was very independent. They usually answered any questions we had through E-mail and occasional meetings. The hardest part of the job was meeting expectations with little over sight. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting students to think outside the box and see things from new perspectives.
Pros
convenient hours, convenient location, great pay, stimulating work
Cons
a lot of work especially during exam time. it was hard to balance everyones expectations
very productive
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 9, 2014
I am the Lead Floater for McMaster during the MCC medical exams. I delegate duties to other floaters during the day where we run documents from clinic to clinic throughout McMaster and other various duties.

This position is a very demanding role since it's important for the clinics to run as smoothly as possible from start to finish.

During these exams I work close to 24 hours in 2 days.

The hardest part of this job is how many different areas there are to look after. Usually there are 8-10 different clinics happening at once.
Pros
free snacks and lunch
Cons
walking distances
PhD Student
Teaching Assistant for these undergraduate courses (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 25, 2015
Excellent research environment, professors are good, Hamilton is a good city and cost of living is average. A good place to interact with people and get PhD degree.
Productive and organized place to work at
Invigilator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Accommodating students such as answering questions, assisting professors and helping student for supplies, that are needed during exam time to create a stress free environment
Supervising students when writing exams, and maintaining the confidentiality of the students, professor, and exams. Also making sure no one cheats and plagiarizes. Moreover, collecting the exams putting them in order according to the professor's requirements and handing them over to the professor at the end of the exam period.
Pros
flexible shifts
Research Assistant/Technician (Immunology lab)
RESEARCH ASSISTANT/LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 7, 2013
- I have enjoyed my experience at McMaster University working in an immunological lab. A typical day involves assisting M.Sc. candidates with various protocols and other technical aspects involved in their specific projects, in addition to conducting and planning experiments that relate to my interests.
- I have learned many technical skills relating to PCR, qPCR, ELISAs, flow cytometry, and mammalian cell culture. Many of these techniques require troubleshooting which I find is the most important aspect in fully understanding a technique. Although occasionaly I find experimental outcomes are unsuccessful, the process of optimizing a technique for its success is extremely beneficial and so experimental failure can be regarded as a positive rather than a negative.
- Management is conducted by my PI who is extremely helpful and patient.
- The co-workers change from time to time, with the influx of new students, which presents a fresh start for teaching techniques. I find this useful in furthering my understanding of a technique as well as promoting my teaching skills.
- The hardest part of the job is probably knowing how to efficiently manage your time and understanding how to conduct an experiment that will work correctly the first time.
- The most enjoyable part of the job for me is figuring out ways to ask specific questions experimentally.
A great place to learn new skills
Student Support Therapist (Former Employee) –  McMaster Hamilton OntarioApril 22, 2015
This was a good learning experience. My responsibilities grew over the years and I was able to network with many great minds in the field.

4.2