McMaster University Employee Reviews

Busy, productive working environment
Casual Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 June 2015
Typical day will consist of arriving for 6am to meet up with the lead-hand, who then delegates out the scheduled cleaning tasks to part time employees. Full time staff have set schedules.
Usually work alone. But if needed, lead-hand or manager will contact us via cell phone or pager.
Can be called off of schedule to tend to something that takes priority.
We do set up for exams in the gymnasiums.

I enjoy doing the set ups. I like the physicality of this job. Keeping myself moving, and learning new skills. Working alone and with coworkers. All around, a decent working environment.
Pros
Excellent manager to work for. Will acknowledge a job well done and reward with free lunch
Cons
Short staffed. Contract has restricted part time staff from working extra hours, even if we are available.
A second home for me
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 October 2015
I have done different things at McMaster and it is the most environment I feel appreciated and responsible in. I have worked as a private tutor for different upper year courses. I am currently working as an instructional assistant for a first year course that prepares the students for the real life challenges that they are expected to face.
Intense but Successful Program in Financial Mathematics
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 January 2014
worked on the theory and practice of financial mathematics, including statistical properties of financial time series, derivative pricing models in complete and incomplete markets, fixed interest rate models, and portfolio risk management.

More generally, problems from all areas of industrial mathematics were discussed. With top talented students and knowledgeable, devoted faculty prepares students who have strong quantitative background to reach their dream jobs.
Pros
wide coverage of quantitative finance topics, knowledgeable faculty
Cons
short period, too intense
Good Place to work
Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 November 2015
Working for McMaster University is a very fast paced kind of work where you are expected to give 110% of your skills and effort, gives you the opportunity to keep yourself busy and wanting to improve all the time.
Pros
Clean, nice environment
Cons
a black hole of innovation
Administrative work (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 January 2015
The structure of the University means no departments communicate with each other. Often, people in different departments are doing the exact same projects, but not communicating with each other. Very inefficient!
Just look at how outdated the webiste is...that will give you a good idea of how fractured this institution is.
Pros
a lively environment
Cons
poor culture, poor management
Great, fun, educational and all out fun
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 June 2015
Working at McMaster University as a gardener was a great and unforgettable experience. I would recommend this job to anyone who is hardworking, willing to learn new things and loves to work in the dirt. I had plenty of fun in the summer not only because of my own love for nature but because of the supervisors love and dedication to McMaster's Garden as well. The supervisors were so kind, helpful and patient. I enjoyed my time working at McMaster University a lot.
Pros
great pay, helpful supervisors, great lunch times and bbq ocationally
Cons
The cuts from the thissles and rose gardens
Good place to conduct research in materials related field.
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 October 2015
Nice working place with supportive supervisors/faculty and intellectual colleagues. Effective team working enjoying the dynamic of colloborative effort to successfully execute our research project.
University
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 November 2015
This job was filled with experiences that are hard to come by which allowed me to learn a lot and gave me opportunities to mature my self in an peer to peer environment.
Great atmosphere with enthusiastic energy.
Leadership Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2013
As a casual employee, a typical day would be working in between breaks from classes. Work to be done included coordinating with externals, attending meetings with other staff, and providing support to the program direct where needed.
Through this ongoing work experience, I have developed stronger communication skills both in oral and written.
Management here is great. They are very flexible and understanding to the needs of a student.
Working along side other students is a bit challenging, however it allowed me to further develop my skills as a team player.
The hardest part of the job is the fact that there is no specific outcome, rather a mission to be followed to achieve the goal of the organization. Having no clear cut expectations is a challenge, but the open-ended opportunities allow me to be innovative and creative.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get to work with others. Having the opportunity to interact with students or faculty in a team setting provides a challenging yet energetic atmosphere.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
limited hours
Gained practical knowledge of exercising and progression
Strength and Conditioning Coach Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 December 2012
- A typical day at work was either on the field or in the weight room. In the field we would run sprinting, long distance running, and games to help improve cardiovascular fitness. In the weight room we would assist in athletes with their training program making sure technique is correct and also spotting athletes.
-I learned a bunch of exercises and techniques and stretches for certain conditions, taping of ankles and apply them to athletes
-management was very energetic, they would host staff meetings everyweek to learn new exercises and techniques
-co-workers where all kinesiology student volunteer and part time.
- hardest part of the job was the early staff meetings that where at 6am on wednesdays.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experience. It was the fact that they would teach us many different things and we would train like athletes in order to help teach and coach the athletes their strength and conditioning program.
Pros
learned new exercise techniques every week
Cons
staff meetings where at 6 am, hard to balance with school
Allows for creativity
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 July 2014
I loved working with talented 3rd and 4th year students.
I fully appreciated the complexities of the task with
respect to the student culture, the faculty needs
and the supervisor's dual role.
I wasn't a fan of the parking authority. I also felt
the online part of the job posed too big a risk to
both my students and myself.
Also, they need a job center for music students--also
debt counselling.
And finally, the commute was ugly on so many days--hardest
winter ever.

Otherwise, music students, faculty and admin at McMaster U.
kick some ****!
Pros
great food on campus
Cons
parking services
Great way to gain valuable skills and leaves time for one's own education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 September 2012
The best part of running tutorials was interacting with the students. This was a great way of not only learning in a class setting but also connecting with fellow students. I learned that I was able to communicate effectively and teach them something; most of the students had positive results. My co-workers, also students, were always helpful if I had questions about something, and the professor who oversaw the class was very informative and helpful with the material we ourselves had to teach the students. The hours were excellent; there was always time to do my own work as well as to attend to my tutorial responsibilities. This is definitely a position which I'll miss.
Pros
great hours, fun setting, informative sessions, very rewarding experience
Cons
some students do not get involved in discussion (tough to motivate some students)
Competitive work environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 July 2014
A challenging and engaging work environment. Highly competitive and rewarding.
Pros
Free Dinners
McMaster Program
Project Management Program (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 July 2015
Excellent Program, Highly Recommend it

Covers all a diverse range of project management material.

Instructors are intelligent, informative and bring a wealth of professional experience.
Very productive and fun workplace to volunteer
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 May 2015
Three hours of volunteer.
Learned how to solve problems on my own.
Very good management.
Very friendly co-workers.
It is hard to be in front of the computer for three hours straight.
Everyone is very friendly and fun to work with.
Pros
Meet engineers
Cons
To much time on the computer
Amazing People, Good work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton10 July 2013
My day to day operation in the department would be handling phone calls, emails. and other communications with both students and faculty. I would be required to do any number of additional tasks from booking of rooms, to the upkeep of equipment, to cataloging the department's library.
Pros
Amazing People, Fun work, Great atmosphere
Cons
No lasting job security, no chance for further growth once out of school
Educational and enjoyable workplace
Social Psychology Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 February 2014
I lead seminars of approximately 30 students to review and discuss materials from lecture. After that I hold an office hour for students with more complex questions that do not relate directly to the seminars. I've learned and improved on many skills doing so. These involve public speaking, presentation preparation, and keeping lines of steady communication with my students. All of the teaching assistants are managed by professor Glavin. He does an excellent job of outlining what must be accomplished and gives us a great deal of flexibility in how we meet these goals. My co-workers are both knowledgeable and helpful. We are a team in helping each other to succeed. The most difficult part of the job is marking. It can be long and sometimes tedious. However, it is a small price to pay for the experience. The most enjoyable part by far is leading seminars. Interacting with students to solve problems is very rewarding.
Excellent research culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2014
Excellent autonomy. I was able to come into the lab and work on my own schedule so long as tasks were completed. Coworkers were great. Opportunities for growth dependant on work completed.
Pros
Work Culture, Management, Life Balance
Fun, productive, enjoyable workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 November 2012
- A typical day would start off by me opening the lab, checking the pumps oil level, and turning on the machines. Once the machines were on I would calibrate then begin running samples, keeping an organized record of the samples ran (hard copy logbook, as well as a digital copy). Throughout the day I would receive a bunch of internal as well as external samples that I would then log into the "Sample Log Book". If we needed chemicals or supplies, I would then go to the McMaster Chemical or Supply store to purchase the required items. At the end of the day I would clean my work space and properly shut down my machine.

- The hardest part of the job was, when a sample didnt show the proper peak, knowing what to add to make the peak appear, while also not adding anything that would damage the sample.

- The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to work in a fun environment, while still being productive.
Pros
great working environment, feeling productive
Cons
machines would break down
A fun job to supplement my student work.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 October 2013
Working as a Teaching Assistant was a part-time position where I led two tutorial groups of first year students twice a week each. The tutorials including helping students understand the material from lectures, supplementary readings, group work, marking presentations, tests and exams. I also held office hours where I provided students with feedback on their marks and rough drafts of papers. The professors I worked for were generally too busy with their own work to offer much over sight so the job was very independent. They usually answered any questions we had through E-mail and occasional meetings. The hardest part of the job was meeting expectations with little over sight. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting students to think outside the box and see things from new perspectives.
Pros
Convenient hours, convenient location, great pay, stimulating work
Cons
A lot of work especially during exam time. It was hard to balance everyones expectations

4.3