McMaster University Employee Reviews

Inspiring environment with hardworking fellow students
VP Administrative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 March 2016
 Demonstrated organizational and budgeting skills through planning events and performances which were delivered on time and on budget.
 Developed exceptional leadership skills through coordinating twenty-five club members which resulted in receiving four performance invitations from different organizations, as well as two sponsorships
Great place to go to school
Research Student (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 April 2016
It is a great place to go to school and provides unique opportunities for all of its students. It is a very enjoyable place to be.
Always interesting
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 December 2015
Relationships within academe are complex and political. As a professor on consecutive limited term contracts I enjoyed an excellent rapport with my tenured colleagues and with numerous students, within and beyond my department.
Pros
Supporting student growth, mentoring
Cons
Very long hours, attending to students needs and preparing classes
Productive and fun place to get a project completed
Student (Former Employee) –  1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Onatrio14 March 2016
This project was completed within our school labs and there were a lot of late nights trying to get everything working, but in the end our product was exceptional.
An interdisciplinary workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 March 2016
This university has a character to engage staff/faculty and students to do projects and achieve the best of results. THe new board are putting an effort to make this place one of the highest ranked campuses in Canada.
Valuable management and research experience
Senior Graduate Student and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2016
- learned how to manage large group of students
- learned many basic science technical skills
- most enjoyable part is co-workers/peers
- most enjoyable is solving problems encountered in research project
Postdoctoral Fellow
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 July 2014
My rating is in reference to a postdoctoral fellow position at McMaster, not necessarily of the University as an employer.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long hours, no benefits, little pay
Place to learn
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 February 2016
Professors are always supporting you and helping you to achieve more.I had a fun time learning new things. The office was amazing and really flexible.
Progressive university that isn't always stuck with ancient teaching methods
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 February 2016
There isn't much to complain about working at a public university. Good amenities such as gym, swimming pool, squash courts.
Relaxed and quiet corporate environment
IT Support (Co-op Placement) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 January 2016
I would get there every day at 8, have my coffee, check my e-mail and start knocking out tickets. It was quite a helpful environment that taught me many things about live networks and computer issues.
Pros
Workplace events were plentiful
Cons
Temporary position
Student Placement Coordinator
Data Systems Coordinator, Nursing (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 January 2016
I was not very happy with the way things were run. There was next to no instruction, no training for the position I filled and felt very disrespected within the office as a newcomer.
A great experience
Assembler (temporary position) (Former Employee) –  David Braley Institute, Hamilton, ON8 October 2012
This was a temporary position. The position evolved from a assembling Lab kits for on ongoing international study, to a data entry clerk, This was a wonderful opportunity to learn something very different from my field of study in education and psychology. I learned how to do invoicing with the shipping and receiving department and to follow strict protocols when assembling medical supplies. I also spent a vast amount of time learning new data entry tables, and entering in a large amount of data efficiently. I am always eager to learn about new things, and this job provided that window. The most difficult part of this particular job was the extended time sitting in front of a computer. Also, knowing that it was a temporary position, it did not provide any job security in the long run. All the personnel were friendly and helpful to the new data entry staff and I would welcome an opportunity to work there again
Pros
intelligent staff, beautiful facility, opportunity to learn new things
Cons
long hours spent at the computer, repetitive
RLS Employment
House Programming Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 January 2016
Excellent work environment with an amazing group of co-workers. Great way to work while balancing demands of university.
Current HR is a farce
Employment Administrator, Human Resources Services (Former Employee) –  Human Resources19 May 2012
Long service employees rarely get to see retirement if they are in the Management group. Current culture if the HR department isn't getting ride of older employees the big guy is not happy. I know of so may people that have been screwed over by the current management that it scares me. Only the lucky few that were already at their rule of 80 are able to retire. My suggestion is if you wish to work at McMaster University get into a Union job, that was the first thing my lawyer asked me was if my job was union an because it wasn't he told me that an employer can say any reason for release as long as they pay you enough
A second home for me
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 October 2015
I have done different things at McMaster and it is the most environment I feel appreciated and responsible in. I have worked as a private tutor for different upper year courses. I am currently working as an instructional assistant for a first year course that prepares the students for the real life challenges that they are expected to face.
Busy, productive working environment
Casual Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 June 2015
Typical day will consist of arriving for 6am to meet up with the lead-hand, who then delegates out the scheduled cleaning tasks to part time employees. Full time staff have set schedules.
Usually work alone. But if needed, lead-hand or manager will contact us via cell phone or pager.
Can be called off of schedule to tend to something that takes priority.
We do set up for exams in the gymnasiums.

I enjoy doing the set ups. I like the physicality of this job. Keeping myself moving, and learning new skills. Working alone and with coworkers. All around, a decent working environment.
Pros
Excellent manager to work for. Will acknowledge a job well done and reward with free lunch
Cons
Short staffed. Contract has restricted part time staff from working extra hours, even if we are available.
Good Place to work
Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 November 2015
Working for McMaster University is a very fast paced kind of work where you are expected to give 110% of your skills and effort, gives you the opportunity to keep yourself busy and wanting to improve all the time.
Pros
Clean, nice environment
Cons
Good place to conduct research in materials related field.
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 October 2015
Nice working place with supportive supervisors/faculty and intellectual colleagues. Effective team working enjoying the dynamic of colloborative effort to successfully execute our research project.
University
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 November 2015
This job was filled with experiences that are hard to come by which allowed me to learn a lot and gave me opportunities to mature my self in an peer to peer environment.
Productive and Fun to work at with flexible hours
Research Assistant, Photonic & Plasmonic Devices (Current Employee) –  Hamiton, ON28 November 2012
A typical day would involve research innovative ideas in the field of work, modelling and documenting the findings and results.

I continuously learn about new ideas in modelling and design techniques, theoretical aspects, presentations, and the ability to convey your idea clearly.

The supervisor is helpful with various ideas that, as a research assistant, you can build on. Co-workers are fun to be around and do not mind having a few chats to ease the stress.

The hardest part is also the most enjoyable part and that is developing an idea and seeing it grow and flourish
Pros
flexible hours, flexible management, and ability to explore
Cons
low pay, little experimental work, little interaction with industry or customers

4.3