McMaster University

McMaster University Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun working Environment
Multimedia Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 June 2016
Flexible work hours and encouraging environment for personal and career development. Well managed and filled with like-minded positive people.
Valuable management and research experience
Senior Graduate Student and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2016
- learned how to manage large group of students
- learned many basic science technical skills
- most enjoyable part is co-workers/peers
- most enjoyable is solving problems encountered in research project
An interdisciplinary workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 March 2016
This university has a character to engage staff/faculty and students to do projects and achieve the best of results. THe new board are putting an effort to make this place one of the highest ranked campuses in Canada.
McMaster University!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 January 2016
Opportunity knocks at McMaster University! working here opens up many avenues and opportunities. Any individual can enhance their careers whilst working F/T or P/T. Supervisors/Management are always eager to assist in career enhancement and appreciate employment eagerness and enthusiasm of their staff in doing so.
Productive and fun place to get a project completed
Student (Former Employee) –  1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Onatrio14 March 2016
This project was completed within our school labs and there were a lot of late nights trying to get everything working, but in the end our product was exceptional.
Great place to go to school
Research Student (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 April 2016
It is a great place to go to school and provides unique opportunities for all of its students. It is a very enjoyable place to be.
Relaxed and quiet corporate environment
IT Support (Co-op Placement) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 January 2016
I would get there every day at 8, have my coffee, check my e-mail and start knocking out tickets. It was quite a helpful environment that taught me many things about live networks and computer issues.
Pros
Workplace events were plentiful
Cons
Temporary position
Always interesting
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 December 2015
Relationships within academe are complex and political. As a professor on consecutive limited term contracts I enjoyed an excellent rapport with my tenured colleagues and with numerous students, within and beyond my department.
Pros
Supporting student growth, mentoring
Cons
Very long hours, attending to students needs and preparing classes
Place to learn
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 February 2016
Professors are always supporting you and helping you to achieve more.I had a fun time learning new things. The office was amazing and really flexible.
Great work environment, people are friendly and faculty are approachable
Graduate Student, Ph.D (Former Employee) –  Hamilton Ontario16 October 2015
A typical day at work would involve mostly deskwork on a computer. Hours were flexible, weekly colloquiums to break the tedium.

Hardest part of the job is the independent research required, which was also the most enjoyable aspect.
Pros
Amenities on campus, access to athletics and recreation, dental and health benefits etc
Cons
Very low pay
Student Placement Coordinator
Data Systems Coordinator, Nursing (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 January 2016
I was not very happy with the way things were run. There was next to no instruction, no training for the position I filled and felt very disrespected within the office as a newcomer.
Progressive university that isn't always stuck with ancient teaching methods
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 February 2016
There isn't much to complain about working at a public university. Good amenities such as gym, swimming pool, squash courts.
no room for advancement
custodian (Current Employee) –  hamilton hall19 January 2016
horrible working conditions. no benefits or sick time. no room for advancement.
most enjoyable part of my day is going home. You would think a big organization would treat their employees better.
A second home for me
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 October 2015
I have done different things at McMaster and it is the most environment I feel appreciated and responsible in. I have worked as a private tutor for different upper year courses. I am currently working as an instructional assistant for a first year course that prepares the students for the real life challenges that they are expected to face.
Good Place to work
Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 November 2015
Working for McMaster University is a very fast paced kind of work where you are expected to give 110% of your skills and effort, gives you the opportunity to keep yourself busy and wanting to improve all the time.
Pros
Clean, nice environment
Cons
Good place to conduct research in materials related field.
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 October 2015
Nice working place with supportive supervisors/faculty and intellectual colleagues. Effective team working enjoying the dynamic of colloborative effort to successfully execute our research project.
RLS Employment
House Programming Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 January 2016
Excellent work environment with an amazing group of co-workers. Great way to work while balancing demands of university.
Great, fun, educational and all out fun
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 June 2015
Working at McMaster University as a gardener was a great and unforgettable experience. I would recommend this job to anyone who is hardworking, willing to learn new things and loves to work in the dirt. I had plenty of fun in the summer not only because of my own love for nature but because of the supervisors love and dedication to McMaster's Garden as well. The supervisors were so kind, helpful and patient. I enjoyed my time working at McMaster University a lot.
Pros
great pay, helpful supervisors, great lunch times and bbq ocationally
Cons
The cuts from the thissles and rose gardens
Busy, productive working environment
Casual Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 June 2015
Typical day will consist of arriving for 6am to meet up with the lead-hand, who then delegates out the scheduled cleaning tasks to part time employees. Full time staff have set schedules.
Usually work alone. But if needed, lead-hand or manager will contact us via cell phone or pager.
Can be called off of schedule to tend to something that takes priority.
We do set up for exams in the gymnasiums.

I enjoy doing the set ups. I like the physicality of this job. Keeping myself moving, and learning new skills. Working alone and with coworkers. All around, a decent working environment.
Pros
Excellent manager to work for. Will acknowledge a job well done and reward with free lunch
Cons
Short staffed. Contract has restricted part time staff from working extra hours, even if we are available.
Productive and Challenging experience of scientific discovery
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 April 2015
Excellent place to work for someone with who loves challenges and innovation. I have learnt project management and leading a project with industrial partners. Management and co-workers are great. We share each other's expertise and we grow as a team. The hardest part comes when we face a burning challenge where no one to seek a help for- very common in a research environment. And the joy comes soon after when we manage to solve the problem and get the recognition.
Pros
Flexible hours

4.3