McMaster University Employee Reviews

All right place to work
Developer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 November 2016
Mac is a large organization, so it would really depend on where you works, but overall it provides absolutely fantastic work/life balance, but management culture is lacking.
Pros
Work/life balance, education opportunities
Cons
Management and communication
Great Place to Work
Assistant Manager -Centro@Commons, La Piazza (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 December 2016
Learned an incredible amount about managing multi tiered unionized workforce.
Had some amazing experiences.
Opportunity to work in a variety of food service operations.
Served anywhere from 100-5000 transactions per day.
Multi-million dollar operations.
Pros
One in a lifetime experiences
Cons
Long Hours. High Management turnover--13 in 15 months.
Overall Good Employer for Student
McMaster Altitude Program Senior Leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 September 2016
I worked during my time as a student. It had extremely flexible hours, but there was little opportunity for promotion, or raises. While well managed, there were a variety of levels of workers that you'd be working side by side with.
Pros
Free Lunches, Good Working Atmosphere, Flexible Hours and Time Off
Cons
Little opportunity for moving up
Great opportunity to partake in research and work independently.
Research Nurse Hutterite Influenza Study (Former Employee) –  Canada22 February 2017
Recruitment of study participants, obtaining consent, completion of nasal pharyngeal testing and phlebotomy and a whole lot of paperwork. Organizational skills and integrity absolutely required.
Pros
Autonomy and working with the Hutterite community.
Cons
Management supervision of study nurse integrity questionable at times.
Overall Satisfied
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 January 2017
I was overall satisfied with my job and salary.I have worked both as Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant in McMaster. The Research Assistant job gave me a lot of exposure on my filed of interest and the Teaching Assistant job helped me teach students and brush up my basics.
Self-learning, self management and productive
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 October 2016
Working as a research assistant in Rehablitation Science department was a good opportunity for me to get involved in the clinical research field.
From data collection to the final thesis paper writing, I finished all the procedure by myself. My thesis is a motion analysis project. I have learned a motion analysis software, Dartfish, to extract body movement from a two dimensional video. For the data analysis, both Stata and SPSS have been used.
Additionally, all memebers in my research group communicated quite well during the project. We enjoyed the moment when we solved diffcult question together.
Pros
Self learning, productive
Cons
Everything should be accomplished by myself. Too much pressure.
Great
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 December 2016
Great place to work, work life balance. Students and professors are wery nice. Other staff is supporting. Students are very well behaved.
Great facilities
Mechanical Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 November 2016
It is a great place to work. Friendly staff. Location is also good, considering the city transit. Benefits are great too.
It Was a Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 June 2016
I used to love working at McMaster University. The staff was valued and felt that they contributed to the success of the department - then the management in the department changed and it became a job. We weren't valued, We didn't feel we mattered, and bullying took place. And the union was next to useless.
Pros
Good salary, good benefits
Cons
The management
From the perspective of an Undergrad Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2017
In both cases was able to keep good relations with Teaching Assistants. Colleagues are typically nice. Supervisor was reasonable in both cases. Good way to get a reference when you graduate.

Easier to work and study full-time when you are closer to school. Can become difficult to TA when taking 6-7 courses per semester, especially when you have assessments with little time given (take home tests, for example).
Well organized, organization
Parking Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2017
Forward thinking environment, encourages individual growth through collaborative group participation.
Multicultural environment
Educational opportunities open to all employees
Pros
Forward thinking environment
Wonderful environment and outstanding facility
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 July 2016
I have had the privilege of being a TA for an Engineering Design course and a biomechanics course in Mcmaster University. I dearly loved the classroom setting in which I was able to interact with students on a daily basis and assist them in their assignments. The most difficult part of the job had to be preparing a tutorial and the best part was showing up to class and teaching.
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
Long hours of preparation beforehand
Comfortable and supportive work environment
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 January 2017
I enjoyed working on the campus of Mcmaster university. The offices are filled with open, and easy to work with people and they have a great sense of community.
the work load was also reasonable and enjoyable, considering the potentially repetitive nature of the data entry position.
Best work experience for a student
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 January 2017
Event Staff is very welcoming and it is very easy to make personal connections with top managers. The hardest part of the job however, was dealing with disgruntled customers. It is a very fun environment that every individual would love to be apart of.
working at Macmaster is okay and good pay
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 March 2017
working at Macmaster is okay and good pay. you get pay for 15 minutes breaks and you only get a 30 minute lunch and the managers are okay not perfect no one is perfect
Extremely fun and relaxing environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 December 2016
The job as a research assistant is challenging, and fun. In 4 months, you gain valuable research experience, get to use a wide range of equipments, and perform research.
fun work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2017
Working in the research labs at the university, you have access to a wide range of facilities and have many opportunities to work collaborative on projects with individuals from different research groups.
Good workplace with friendly people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 December 2016
typical day at work was to help students with any problems they were having, gave quick lessons on ways of coding in MATLAB such as making matrices and doing matrix operations.
Job was great, co-workers were great.
Residency Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 September 2016
It was an enjoyable, short contract position within the Dept. of Surgery and the Dept. of Otolaryngology. The job was great, co-workers were great. Had to leave for a permanent position elsewhere.
Graduate student
M.A.Sc Mechincial Engineering (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 November 2015
While grad studies is always a difficult endeavour McMaster university chooses to make it harder by having incredibly poor wages (bairly livable in Hamilton). This is countered by the reasonable benefits, which are far in excess of most other universities. However these benefits are being compromised by poor management and stagnant wages. As of right now all the medical benefits were on the cutting block due to stagnant student wages.

Furthermore if you are not industrially funded you will be unlikely to get a position. And even still the university is taking the lion's share of the money and the students are living below their means.

This system is not sustainable and labour action is inevitable. Now the conservative government no longer forcing favourable arbitration decisions on the union, it is unlike the university can continue.

Good luck.
Pros
flexible hours, good benifits, excellent relationship oppritunities
Cons
poor wages, inappropriate student work envirorments, poor support strucuture benifits going to get cut

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3