McMaster University Employee Reviews in Canada

Very productive and a helpful aid for younger students
Co-op Mentorship Program Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 7, 2016
It was great mentoring younger students from first, second and third year at McMaster University that are looking for co-op placements as part of their Bachelor of Technology program. I guide and assist these students in finding these positions and helping with preparation for interviews and key aspects about certain employers worldwide.
It Was a Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 2, 2016
I used to love working at McMaster University. The staff was valued and felt that they contributed to the success of the department - then the management in the department changed and it became a job. We weren't valued, We didn't feel we mattered, and bullying took place. And the union was next to useless.
Pros
Good salary, good benefits
Cons
The management
Inspiring environment with hardworking fellow students
VP Administrative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 7, 2016
 Demonstrated organizational and budgeting skills through planning events and performances which were delivered on time and on budget.
 Developed exceptional leadership skills through coordinating twenty-five club members which resulted in receiving four performance invitations from different organizations, as well as two sponsorships
McMaster University!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Opportunity knocks at McMaster University! working here opens up many avenues and opportunities. Any individual can enhance their careers whilst working F/T or P/T. Supervisors/Management are always eager to assist in career enhancement and appreciate employment eagerness and enthusiasm of their staff in doing so.
Valuable management and research experience
Senior Graduate Student and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 22, 2016
- learned how to manage large group of students
- learned many basic science technical skills
- most enjoyable part is co-workers/peers
- most enjoyable is solving problems encountered in research project
great place to work
Personal Support Worker Clinical Practicum (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 13, 2016
great company. love working there. I left because I went back to school to take my PSW course and wanted to work in my field. fabulous managers.
Pros
great workers
Cons
not enough overtime
An interdisciplinary workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 7, 2016
This university has a character to engage staff/faculty and students to do projects and achieve the best of results. THe new board are putting an effort to make this place one of the highest ranked campuses in Canada.
Excellent Instituition for Learning, growing, and working
Campus Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 6, 2016
McMaster University provided a wonderful environment for growth and learning, helping me build my skills, whilst being able to contribute to the University.
Relaxed and quiet corporate environment
IT Support (Co-op Placement) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 5, 2016
I would get there every day at 8, have my coffee, check my e-mail and start knocking out tickets. It was quite a helpful environment that taught me many things about live networks and computer issues.
Pros
Workplace events were plentiful
Cons
Temporary position
Always interesting
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 1, 2015
Relationships within academe are complex and political. As a professor on consecutive limited term contracts I enjoyed an excellent rapport with my tenured colleagues and with numerous students, within and beyond my department.
Pros
Supporting student growth, mentoring
Cons
Very long hours, attending to students needs and preparing classes
Productive and Fun working Environment
Multimedia Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 9, 2016
Flexible work hours and encouraging environment for personal and career development. Well managed and filled with like-minded positive people.
Productive and fun place to get a project completed
Student (Former Employee) –  1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, OnatrioMarch 14, 2016
This project was completed within our school labs and there were a lot of late nights trying to get everything working, but in the end our product was exceptional.
Student Placement Coordinator
Data Systems Coordinator, Nursing (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 21, 2016
I was not very happy with the way things were run. There was next to no instruction, no training for the position I filled and felt very disrespected within the office as a newcomer.
Great work environment, people are friendly and faculty are approachable
Graduate Student, Ph.D (Former Employee) –  Hamilton OntarioOctober 16, 2015
A typical day at work would involve mostly deskwork on a computer. Hours were flexible, weekly colloquiums to break the tedium.

Hardest part of the job is the independent research required, which was also the most enjoyable aspect.
Pros
Amenities on campus, access to athletics and recreation, dental and health benefits etc
Cons
Very low pay
Progressive university that isn't always stuck with ancient teaching methods
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 1, 2016
There isn't much to complain about working at a public university. Good amenities such as gym, swimming pool, squash courts.
Place to learn
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 25, 2016
Professors are always supporting you and helping you to achieve more.I had a fun time learning new things. The office was amazing and really flexible.
Great place to go to school
Research Student (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 17, 2016
It is a great place to go to school and provides unique opportunities for all of its students. It is a very enjoyable place to be.
no room for advancement
custodian (Current Employee) –  hamilton hallJanuary 19, 2016
horrible working conditions. no benefits or sick time. no room for advancement.
most enjoyable part of my day is going home. You would think a big organization would treat their employees better.
A second home for me
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 8, 2015
I have done different things at McMaster and it is the most environment I feel appreciated and responsible in. I have worked as a private tutor for different upper year courses. I am currently working as an instructional assistant for a first year course that prepares the students for the real life challenges that they are expected to face.
Good Place to work
Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 13, 2015
Working for McMaster University is a very fast paced kind of work where you are expected to give 110% of your skills and effort, gives you the opportunity to keep yourself busy and wanting to improve all the time.
Pros
Clean, nice environment

4.3