McMaster University Employee Reviews

Great School
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 April 2017
McMaster is a really great university. It's not too big but big enough, the faculty is extremely helpful, and the campus itself is pretty beautiful. There are still come buildings that have been on campus since the birth of the Uni. The courses were transparent and if you had any problems, you were able to get in touch with a prof, if not, there were many informed teaching assistants nearby. There are also many extracurricular programs that you can join (whether in sports, or academic, or cultural, etc.).
Teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anthropology Department28 April 2017
Specifically as a teaching assistant, applied for as a graduate student- 3 consecutive semesters in this capacity.
Generally good supervision although I was a teaching assistant for an arts program and sometimes the professor for the course was ill-suited. You will be expected to keep regular office hours, usually a designated hour a week BUT you can get away with doing "appointment only" office hours if you have a busy schedule.
Students I worked with were either there to learn more or there to argue to the bitter end. It is important to have patience.
Grading can be tedious and a lot of students don't bother looking at the feedback so I kept it short and concise. Students did argue their grades and ask for another grade. If they had a compelling argument I would re-grade the assignment but let them know that this would not guarantee them a better mark if I found an error I had missed in my original grading. Professors were good about standing with the TA's decision and would take over if students got aggressive.
Pros
Pay is excellent, hours are not too demanding
Cons
Students arguing their grades after explaining why they received that grade, students thinking that they know more than teachers, when papers come in it can be a heavy workload for a few days
Scsn
Community Assistant, SCSN (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 April 2017
I have had several jobs at McMaster. They have all been contract positions. I find that overall the workload is very heavy and students are overworked and under paid.
Earning money while getting an education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 March 2017
McMaster provides great opportunities for graduate students to showcase their research. TA-ships are great for students looking to get into teaching and education.
Helping mold young minds while being compensated very well.
Student Researcher/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 March 2017
As a graduate teaching assistant I was responsible for helping my professor with some of the responsibilities of running an undergraduate level economics course. The work was fulfilling and the compensation was excellent. My most enjoyable position thus far.
Pros
Nearly everything
Cons
Only part-time, conditional on tenure as a graduate student
Well organized, organization
Parking Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2017
Forward thinking environment, encourages individual growth through collaborative group participation.
Multicultural environment
Educational opportunities open to all employees
Pros
Forward thinking environment
working at Macmaster is okay and good pay
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 March 2017
working at Macmaster is okay and good pay. you get pay for 15 minutes breaks and you only get a 30 minute lunch and the managers are okay not perfect no one is perfect
Great opportunity to partake in research and work independently.
Research Nurse Hutterite Influenza Study (Former Employee) –  Canada22 February 2017
Recruitment of study participants, obtaining consent, completion of nasal pharyngeal testing and phlebotomy and a whole lot of paperwork. Organizational skills and integrity absolutely required.
Pros
Autonomy and working with the Hutterite community.
Cons
Management supervision of study nurse integrity questionable at times.
From the perspective of an Undergrad Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2017
In both cases was able to keep good relations with Teaching Assistants. Colleagues are typically nice. Supervisor was reasonable in both cases. Good way to get a reference when you graduate.

Easier to work and study full-time when you are closer to school. Can become difficult to TA when taking 6-7 courses per semester, especially when you have assessments with little time given (take home tests, for example).
Overall Satisfied
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 January 2017
I was overall satisfied with my job and salary.I have worked both as Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant in McMaster. The Research Assistant job gave me a lot of exposure on my filed of interest and the Teaching Assistant job helped me teach students and brush up my basics.
Comfortable and supportive work environment
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 January 2017
I enjoyed working on the campus of Mcmaster university. The offices are filled with open, and easy to work with people and they have a great sense of community.
the work load was also reasonable and enjoyable, considering the potentially repetitive nature of the data entry position.
Best work experience for a student
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 January 2017
Event Staff is very welcoming and it is very easy to make personal connections with top managers. The hardest part of the job however, was dealing with disgruntled customers. It is a very fun environment that every individual would love to be apart of.
fun work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2017
Working in the research labs at the university, you have access to a wide range of facilities and have many opportunities to work collaborative on projects with individuals from different research groups.
Extremely fun and relaxing environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 December 2016
The job as a research assistant is challenging, and fun. In 4 months, you gain valuable research experience, get to use a wide range of equipments, and perform research.
Great
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 December 2016
Great place to work, work life balance. Students and professors are wery nice. Other staff is supporting. Students are very well behaved.
Great facilities
Good workplace with friendly people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 December 2016
typical day at work was to help students with any problems they were having, gave quick lessons on ways of coding in MATLAB such as making matrices and doing matrix operations.
Great Place to Work
Assistant Manager -Centro@Commons, La Piazza (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 December 2016
Learned an incredible amount about managing multi tiered unionized workforce.
Had some amazing experiences.
Opportunity to work in a variety of food service operations.
Served anywhere from 100-5000 transactions per day.
Multi-million dollar operations.
Pros
One in a lifetime experiences
Cons
Long Hours. High Management turnover--13 in 15 months.
Mechanical Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 November 2016
It is a great place to work. Friendly staff. Location is also good, considering the city transit. Benefits are great too.
All right place to work
Developer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 November 2016
Mac is a large organization, so it would really depend on where you works, but overall it provides absolutely fantastic work/life balance, but management culture is lacking.
Pros
Work/life balance, education opportunities
Cons
Management and communication
Self-learning, self management and productive
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 October 2016
Working as a research assistant in Rehablitation Science department was a good opportunity for me to get involved in the clinical research field.
From data collection to the final thesis paper writing, I finished all the procedure by myself. My thesis is a motion analysis project. I have learned a motion analysis software, Dartfish, to extract body movement from a two dimensional video. For the data analysis, both Stata and SPSS have been used.
Additionally, all memebers in my research group communicated quite well during the project. We enjoyed the moment when we solved diffcult question together.
Pros
Self learning, productive
Cons
Everything should be accomplished by myself. Too much pressure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3