McMaster University

McMaster University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent research culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 22, 2014
Pros: work culture, management, life balance
Excellent autonomy. I was able to come into the lab and work on my own schedule so long as tasks were completed. Coworkers were great. Opportunities for growth dependant on work completed.
Masters Degree
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 17, 2014
I am pursuing my Masters degree in Chemical Biology. Currently, I work on the determination of Aβ oligomers binding sites within HSA domains. The experimental protocol includes NMR and fluorescence experiments.
very productive
Support Staff (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 9, 2014
Pros: free snacks and lunch
Cons: walking distances
I am the Lead Floater for McMaster during the MCC medical exams. I delegate duties to other floaters during the day where we run documents from clinic to clinic throughout McMaster and other various duties.

This position is a very demanding role since it's important for the clinics to run as smoothly as possible from start to finish.

During these – more... exams I work close to 24 hours in 2 days.

The hardest part of this job is how many different areas there are to look after. Usually there are 8-10 different clinics happening at once. – less
A great universty to study Chemical egineering
Chemical Engineering Student (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 3, 2014
Pros: good education
Cons: ave to work really hard
McMaster university is a great place to study Chemical engineering. So far is one of the top university in chemical engineering because of its quality delivering of education and its unique choice of course materials that are basically industrial application based. Thus giving students a taste of the industry well in time.
Great working environment
Masters Candidate/ Invigilatior (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 17, 2014
A great reputable university with very distinctive degrees and programs. forward thinking initiatives in teaching and research and always aiming to achieve the highest standards of education and delivering solution.
McMaster Graduate Research Assistant
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 14, 2014
As a graduate research student in Physics I felt supported and encouraged to excel in my studies and research projects.
Busy but lots of opportunities to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee), HamiltonMarch 7, 2014
Pros: great place to learn
Cons: lots of work
Very busy, full of work, but management had provided the necessary support, and they showed appreciation toward the effort.
The University with a lake in its "back garden"
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 26, 2014
The TA experience was the most impressive one during my master's program. Multiple tasks are required to be finished within a limited time, including leading tutorials, marking assignments and discussing of essays. Through talking with the cute first year undergraduate students, we also developed valuable skills to communicate effectively with others – more... and learned to know the needs of the students. – less
Educational and enjoyable workplace
Social Psychology Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 25, 2014
I lead seminars of approximately 30 students to review and discuss materials from lecture. After that I hold an office hour for students with more complex questions that do not relate directly to the seminars. I've learned and improved on many skills doing so. These involve public speaking, presentation preparation, and keeping lines of steady communication – more... with my students. All of the teaching assistants are managed by professor Glavin. He does an excellent job of outlining what must be accomplished and gives us a great deal of flexibility in how we meet these goals. My co-workers are both knowledgeable and helpful. We are a team in helping each other to succeed. The most difficult part of the job is marking. It can be long and sometimes tedious. However, it is a small price to pay for the experience. The most enjoyable part by far is leading seminars. Interacting with students to solve problems is very rewarding. – less
Good part-time student employment
Teaching Assistant, Business (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 17, 2014
As a full-time student being a TA is great for developmental and monetary needs.
Intense but Successful Program in Financial Mathematics
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: wide coverage of quantitative finance topics, knowledgeable faculty
Cons: short period, too intense
worked on the theory and practice of financial mathematics, including statistical properties of financial time series, derivative pricing models in complete and incomplete markets, fixed interest rate models, and portfolio risk management.

More generally, problems from all areas of industrial mathematics were discussed. With top talented students and – more... knowledgeable, devoted faculty prepares students who have strong quantitative background to reach their dream jobs. – less
Productive and Supportive work enivronment
Administrative Support, Faculty of Health Sciences (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 1, 2014
As being a part of an administrative team, there are many areas of interest. As a new administrative assistant, there is room to learn and grow through experiences and training.
A little stressful. The supervisor is very helpful
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 7, 2013
Pros: learned a lot
Cons: stress
Very difficult at the beginning but the life was a lot better after I became productive and familiar with the routines and techniques.
A great entry level teaching job
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 2, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, good pay
Cons: high work load
Work is primarily carried out in the class room, it is therefore an independent work environment. High paced work and lots of it. The work is difficult for students to complete in conjunction with their own responsibilities as MA students, albeit rewarding.
Productive and collegial atmosphere
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 30, 2013
Pros: rewarding
As a teaching assistant, I taught undergraduate students in areas of physiology, reproduction, endocrinology, ecology, animal behaviour, and child development psychology. I learned how to teach undergraduate students, and facilitate group discussions.
alots to learn
MICROCOMPUTER SUPPORT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Hamilton, ON.November 28, 2013
the best part was that I had to learn everything by myself with no supervision so I was more busy with learning and applying my knowledge
VERY ACTIVE PRODUCTIVE ,VERY TALANTED
Trauma Fellow (Current Employee), HAMILTON,ON,HAMILTON GENERAL HOSPITALNovember 15, 2013
Pros: very punctual and to the point
Cons: shy, keep a very low profile, hate showbiz
I'M AN EXTREMELY ACTIVE PRODUCTIVE AND VERY FLEXIBLE PERSON WITH EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE AND GOOD LATERAL THINKING.
I WORK UNDER EXTREME PRESSURE CONDITIONS
I RESPECT MY SENIORS
I LOVE MY WORK AND PUT ALL MY TIME ONTO MY JOB
Good university job
Researcher (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 18, 2013
Loads to learn and helpful, intelligent people to support you during the process
A fun job to supplement my student work.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 1, 2013
Pros: convenient hours, convenient location, great pay, stimulating work
Cons: a lot of work especially during exam time. it was hard to balance everyones expectations
Working as a Teaching Assistant was a part-time position where I led two tutorial groups of first year students twice a week each. The tutorials including helping students understand the material from lectures, supplementary readings, group work, marking presentations, tests and exams. I also held office hours where I provided students with feedback – more... on their marks and rough drafts of papers. The professors I worked for were generally too busy with their own work to offer much over sight so the job was very independent. They usually answered any questions we had through E-mail and occasional meetings. The hardest part of the job was meeting expectations with little over sight. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting students to think outside the box and see things from new perspectives. – less
Excellent academic
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 25, 2013
Productive academic environment filled with talented people.

1 2 3 4