McMaster University Employee Reviews

Graduate student
M.A.Sc Mechincial Engineering (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 6, 2015
While grad studies is always a difficult endeavour McMaster university chooses to make it harder by having incredibly poor wages (bairly livable in Hamilton). This is countered by the reasonable benefits, which are far in excess of most other universities. However these benefits are being compromised by poor management and stagnant wages. As of right now all the medical benefits were on the cutting block due to stagnant student wages.

Furthermore if you are not industrially funded you will be unlikely to get a position. And even still the university is taking the lion's share of the money and the students are living below their means.

This system is not sustainable and labour action is inevitable. Now the conservative government no longer forcing favourable arbitration decisions on the union, it is unlike the university can continue.

Good luck.
Pros
flexible hours, good benifits, excellent relationship oppritunities
Cons
poor wages, inappropriate student work envirorments, poor support strucuture benifits going to get cut
no room for advancement
custodian (Current Employee) –  hamilton hallJanuary 19, 2016
horrible working conditions. no benefits or sick time. no room for advancement.
most enjoyable part of my day is going home. You would think a big organization would treat their employees better.
Great work environment, people are friendly and faculty are approachable
Graduate Student, Ph.D (Former Employee) –  Hamilton OntarioOctober 16, 2015
A typical day at work would involve mostly deskwork on a computer. Hours were flexible, weekly colloquiums to break the tedium.

Hardest part of the job is the independent research required, which was also the most enjoyable aspect.
Pros
Amenities on campus, access to athletics and recreation, dental and health benefits etc
Cons
Very low pay
Wonderful environment and outstanding facility
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 12, 2016
I have had the privilege of being a TA for an Engineering Design course and a biomechanics course in Mcmaster University. I dearly loved the classroom setting in which I was able to interact with students on a daily basis and assist them in their assignments. The most difficult part of the job had to be preparing a tutorial and the best part was showing up to class and teaching.
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
Long hours of preparation beforehand
Overall Good Employer for Student
McMaster Altitude Program Senior Leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 26, 2016
I worked during my time as a student. It had extremely flexible hours, but there was little opportunity for promotion, or raises. While well managed, there were a variety of levels of workers that you'd be working side by side with.
Pros
Free Lunches, Good Working Atmosphere, Flexible Hours and Time Off
Cons
Little opportunity for moving up
Productive and Challenging experience of scientific discovery
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 30, 2015
Excellent place to work for someone with who loves challenges and innovation. I have learnt project management and leading a project with industrial partners. Management and co-workers are great. We share each other's expertise and we grow as a team. The hardest part comes when we face a burning challenge where no one to seek a help for- very common in a research environment. And the joy comes soon after when we manage to solve the problem and get the recognition.
Pros
Flexible hours
It Was a Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 2, 2016
I used to love working at McMaster University. The staff was valued and felt that they contributed to the success of the department - then the management in the department changed and it became a job. We weren't valued, We didn't feel we mattered, and bullying took place. And the union was next to useless.
Pros
Good salary, good benefits
Cons
The management
McMaster University!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Opportunity knocks at McMaster University! working here opens up many avenues and opportunities. Any individual can enhance their careers whilst working F/T or P/T. Supervisors/Management are always eager to assist in career enhancement and appreciate employment eagerness and enthusiasm of their staff in doing so.
Job was great, co-workers were great.
Residency Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 27, 2016
It was an enjoyable, short contract position within the Dept. of Surgery and the Dept. of Otolaryngology. The job was great, co-workers were great. Had to leave for a permanent position elsewhere.
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 9, 2016
Worked seven hours daily.
Positive and rewarding enviornment to work in.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Hardest part was dealing with patients who can sometimes be temperamental.
Overall its good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  HamiltonSeptember 14, 2016
I like the overall environment. It is a nice place and people are friendly. Co-workers are nice as well and they help. You can find everything inside the campus so you rearlly leave the place
Very productive and a helpful aid for younger students
Co-op Mentorship Program Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 7, 2016
It was great mentoring younger students from first, second and third year at McMaster University that are looking for co-op placements as part of their Bachelor of Technology program. I guide and assist these students in finding these positions and helping with preparation for interviews and key aspects about certain employers worldwide.
ECE Dept full of lazy professors
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 13, 2016
Relaxed Environment, nice place to do your grad studies. However you have to work independently since most probably your supervisor will not care much about you.
Do not work for this Institution
I can't say (Former Employee) –  I can't sayNovember 27, 2014
Not a nice place to work
wide spread discrimination
many employees wrongfully terminate and escorted off the property
employees terminated while on sick leave
if your are an employee reporting to someone involved in an office romance watch out
Old culture
Faculty members are treated like gods, staff are treated disrespectfully
Women I know of have been harassed my tenured professors

Do not work there unless you are a student or wanting to start off your career. Trust me, few people make it to retirement at McMaster
Pros
great benefits
Cons
toxic and discriminatory work environment.
great place to work
Personal Support Worker Clinical Practicum (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 13, 2016
great company. love working there. I left because I went back to school to take my PSW course and wanted to work in my field. fabulous managers.
Pros
great workers
Cons
not enough overtime
Excellent people environment with co-workers and patients, above average compensation, exellent benefits and family-worklife balance
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OntarioOctober 9, 2014
McMaster University is one of the best employers in Ontario and the reason is obvious. A strong work-life balance, above average compensation and benefits, staff awards, lifetime learning in any area of choice.

Mangers are well trained to deal with any situation and everyone works as part of a strong team.

Dealing with patients in a professional manner is always critical but training is readily available.
Pros
staff awards and events, education for life
Cons
large staff population so there is not the chance to meet others out of your faculty
Excellent Instituition for Learning, growing, and working
Campus Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 6, 2016
McMaster University provided a wonderful environment for growth and learning, helping me build my skills, whilst being able to contribute to the University.
Productive and Fun working Environment
Multimedia Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 9, 2016
Flexible work hours and encouraging environment for personal and career development. Well managed and filled with like-minded positive people.
Inspiring environment with hardworking fellow students
VP Administrative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 7, 2016
 Demonstrated organizational and budgeting skills through planning events and performances which were delivered on time and on budget.
 Developed exceptional leadership skills through coordinating twenty-five club members which resulted in receiving four performance invitations from different organizations, as well as two sponsorships
Always interesting
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 1, 2015
Relationships within academe are complex and political. As a professor on consecutive limited term contracts I enjoyed an excellent rapport with my tenured colleagues and with numerous students, within and beyond my department.
Pros
Supporting student growth, mentoring
Cons
Very long hours, attending to students needs and preparing classes

4.2