McMaster University Employee Review

View all McMaster University reviews

Excellent academic
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 September 2013
Productive academic environment filled with talented people.

Other McMaster University Employee Reviews

Two to three long trips every week to Hamlton and back.
Chief Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 February 2018
It has been a godsend to many students over the years.

Beautiful in design and the students are normally great.

Expensive to travel and really poor wages again.

Ex students, now teachers in their own rights, run the program now going on almost 25 years.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
Cons
A long way to travel so many times per week.
A Great Community - but if you want management you will need a Master's degree
Marketing & Communications (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 January 2018
I worked at McMaster for 15 years and have loved the community, the organization and my jobs. I learned and grew so much while there and have found that so many wonderful people work there. Working with students is a great experience and the campus is a wonderful place to spend your work days.

Unfortunately, if you start out as unionized staff, the only way into management is with a master's degree and by using "strategic politics" or to leave Mac and come back into a Management position later. I used to hear this and believed it was a myth until I saw it happen again and again. While Mac is a great place to work, all Universities are big organizations, and change is not always embraced, and when it is, it can be very slowly accepted. Bottom line is still dollars. It is a business and sometimes people forget that.
Pros
Great atmosphere, colleagues, beautiful campus, learning opportunities, tuition bursaries
Cons
Lack of promotion to management, difficult to accept that although women are the majority of the staff, and many female faculty members, the boys club still thrives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3