McMaster University Employee Review

View all McMaster University reviews

A fun job to supplement my student work.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 October 2013
Working as a Teaching Assistant was a part-time position where I led two tutorial groups of first year students twice a week each. The tutorials including helping students understand the material from lectures, supplementary readings, group work, marking presentations, tests and exams. I also held office hours where I provided students with feedback on their marks and rough drafts of papers. The professors I worked for were generally too busy with their own work to offer much over sight so the job was very independent. They usually answered any questions we had through E-mail and occasional meetings. The hardest part of the job was meeting expectations with little over sight. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting students to think outside the box and see things from new perspectives.
Pros
Convenient hours, convenient location, great pay, stimulating work
Cons
A lot of work especially during exam time. It was hard to balance everyones expectations

Other McMaster University Employee Reviews

Two to three long trips every week to Hamlton and back.
Chief Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 February 2018
It has been a godsend to many students over the years.

Beautiful in design and the students are normally great.

Expensive to travel and really poor wages again.

Ex students, now teachers in their own rights, run the program now going on almost 25 years.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
Cons
A long way to travel so many times per week.
A Great Community - but if you want management you will need a Master's degree
Marketing & Communications (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 January 2018
I worked at McMaster for 15 years and have loved the community, the organization and my jobs. I learned and grew so much while there and have found that so many wonderful people work there. Working with students is a great experience and the campus is a wonderful place to spend your work days.

Unfortunately, if you start out as unionized staff, the only way into management is with a master's degree and by using "strategic politics" or to leave Mac and come back into a Management position later. I used to hear this and believed it was a myth until I saw it happen again and again. While Mac is a great place to work, all Universities are big organizations, and change is not always embraced, and when it is, it can be very slowly accepted. Bottom line is still dollars. It is a business and sometimes people forget that.
Pros
Great atmosphere, colleagues, beautiful campus, learning opportunities, tuition bursaries
Cons
Lack of promotion to management, difficult to accept that although women are the majority of the staff, and many female faculty members, the boys club still thrives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3