McMaster University Employee Review

View all McMaster University reviews

A fun job to supplement my student work.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 October 2013
Working as a Teaching Assistant was a part-time position where I led two tutorial groups of first year students twice a week each. The tutorials including helping students understand the material from lectures, supplementary readings, group work, marking presentations, tests and exams. I also held office hours where I provided students with feedback on their marks and rough drafts of papers. The professors I worked for were generally too busy with their own work to offer much over sight so the job was very independent. They usually answered any questions we had through E-mail and occasional meetings. The hardest part of the job was meeting expectations with little over sight. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting students to think outside the box and see things from new perspectives.
Pros
Convenient hours, convenient location, great pay, stimulating work
Cons
A lot of work especially during exam time. It was hard to balance everyones expectations

Other McMaster University Employee Reviews

Positive and multicultural workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 November 2017
People around are very nice and friendly. The working environment is great. There are many opportunities to learn new technical skills and work on great, challenging research projects.
Fun place to work and innovate
Ph.D. Researcher (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 November 2017
Great place to grow in scientific research. Well-equipped with state-of-the-art instruments required to answer exciting scientific research questions. The student care for graduate students could improve especially the cashier department staff can be very rude to a needy graduate student.
Pros
well-equipped university
Cons
less care for graduate students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3