McMaster University Employee Reviews

A Great Community - but if you want management you will need a Master's degree
Marketing & Communications (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 January 2018
I worked at McMaster for 15 years and have loved the community, the organization and my jobs. I learned and grew so much while there and have found that so many wonderful people work there. Working with students is a great experience and the campus is a wonderful place to spend your work days.

Unfortunately, if you start out as unionized staff, the only way into management is with a master's degree and by using "strategic politics" or to leave Mac and come back into a Management position later. I used to hear this and believed it was a myth until I saw it happen again and again. While Mac is a great place to work, all Universities are big organizations, and change is not always embraced, and when it is, it can be very slowly accepted. Bottom line is still dollars. It is a business and sometimes people forget that.
Pros
Great atmosphere, colleagues, beautiful campus, learning opportunities, tuition bursaries
Cons
Lack of promotion to management, difficult to accept that although women are the majority of the staff, and many female faculty members, the boys club still thrives
Amazing place to work and study
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 January 2018
McMaster University is perfect for students who would like to study during the fall and winter terms, while performing, or assisting in research over the summer.
Great opportunity to support young careers
Web Application developer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton23 January 2018
I had the pleasure of working for McMaster University all throughout my University career and I loved it. I worked for many departments and each department provided me support and opportunity to grow. I made some really good friends here and they really cared about me.
Pros
Good Institutions
Academic excellence
Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 January 2018
Typically this is a place of learning. However, students are given too much leeway of not attending classes and skipping exams. As a result, academic integrity suffers. Academia is not a place where you pass exams, it is a place where you develop skills to go forward in life. By allowing laxity in academic discipline, low quality students are created, and teachers get disheartened. The most enjoyable part of the job beyond this is to be able to teach what you know, interact with young minds and feel energized about research.
Autonomous productivity machine
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 January 2018
Came to work whenever I wanted, lab-mates were great and nothing mattered so long as the work was done well. This was 100% the best job I've ever had.
Cons
Could be awesome...depends on you coworkers
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON10 January 2018
Not a great place to work.
Tonnes if favouritism...women are caddy and backstabbing. Depends who you work with. Some are great..watch your back.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
People you work
Highly dependent on supervisor
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 January 2018
Amazing experience, highly dependent on your supervisor and type of research done. Personally I learned a lot but my supervisor was basically absent and I had no guidance or mentoring, but I know others who had different supervisors and had a different experience than mine.
no comment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2018
didn't have much comment for this organization since I am only doing a volunteer work...

Seems great organization and great workplace culture. sorry no inside information.
Good learning environment
Research Associate/Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 January 2018
Great workplace for collaborative research in health care area.
Many leading methodologists in the health care area.
Working is a fun in collaborative projects.
productive, good for soft skill development
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 December 2017
good work environment, managers are friendly and good role models. useful for development of soft skills and becoming comfortable in a leadership role despite being still a student.
Great School
First Year Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 December 2017
I was a first year Teaching Assistant at McMaster as well as a student researcher. Both work experiences were amazing! The salary was more than you would expect for an undergraduate student with great supervisors.
Great place to work, learn a lot
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 December 2017
My time pursuing a Master's degree was well worth it. I got to do both field and lab work which really helps with finding an employer later on down the road.
Positive and multicultural workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 November 2017
People around are very nice and friendly. The working environment is great. There are many opportunities to learn new technical skills and work on great, challenging research projects.
Fun place to work and innovate
Ph.D. Researcher (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 November 2017
Great place to grow in scientific research. Well-equipped with state-of-the-art instruments required to answer exciting scientific research questions. The student care for graduate students could improve especially the cashier department staff can be very rude to a needy graduate student.
Pros
well-equipped university
Cons
less care for graduate students
Brilliant and fun times
A.C.A.D.R.E. Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 November 2017
Really enjoyed my temporary positions at McMaster.
Enjoyed all the opportunity to participate in conferences and life long learning.
Nice to be surrounded by brilliance!
Pros
Life long learning culture
Cons
temporary positions
Decent
Teacher Assistant (Financial Accounting I) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 October 2017
Its a good place to work as a student. You get to teach other students and learn about your own skills and capabilities. I would recommend landing a job like this.
good school
Golden Key International Honours Society Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 October 2017
it was a good school to go to. i learned lots and loved my life there. i was a student not an employee i don't why i have to write a review on this but lets just go with it
Awesome Experience !
Great Work Culture
Great Management
Great Days at work
Everything was fantastic
Pros
its great
Cons
no Cons
Productive workplace to conduct research
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 September 2017
Although research was quite challenging, it was so enjoyable when I could obtain the satisfying results. I learnt how to manage time more efficiently to meet the deadlines.
Working with people in group projects was another fantastic opportunity I experienced.
Productive workspace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 September 2017
Enjoyable environment with a lot of support from the professor. The pay and benefits were very good. Would have liked more support during the training period.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3