McGill University Employee Reviews

Mcgill University
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 May 2017
Hard work environment but very rewarding, involved supervisors and professors. The hardest part of the job is the work life balance, as McGill is entirely type-A personalities looking to get ahead.
Good from the outside
Compensation Advisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 May 2017
I went to work at McGill because it seemed like a dream job. They offer great perks like summer Fridays, 3 weeks' vacation from the start and an extra week at Christmas. These perks are not worth the politics, lack of job security, a toxic work culture and the bureaucracy that fills the offices.
Great people to work with
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 May 2017
My experience working at McGill was very rewarding, I learned so many new things and met some amazing people who I am still in contact with today. I enjoyed my job very much, it was challenging and I was always busy.
Pros
The people I worked with
Great place for students to work part time to get a foothold in the workplace
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Montreal Quebec10 May 2017
I worked in dry and wet labs during my work at McGill. I had to meet strict deadlines and work efficiently to meet them. However, the atmosphere in the lab was relaxed and geared towards not only getting results but also towards teaching students and helping them develop as young engineers. The most enjoyable part of the work was theorizing why some experiments did not give us the results we expected.
Good
Summer Research Student (Former Employee) –  McGill, QC8 May 2017
Very good principal investigator
Learned many lab technics such as cell culture, cell separation, whole tissue fixation, histology, immunofluorescence
Very demanding laboratory
Ambiance de travail très agréable
Stage de recherche ingénieur (Former Employee) –  Montreal CANADA5 May 2017
Ambiance de travail très agréable, personnes de nationalité et horizons différentes
Work culture was fine. There was problem of communications.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 May 2017
Work culture was fine. A typical work day was not stressful. Hardest part was the problem of communications. Everyday challenge and research work was enjoyable.
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 April 2017
Labs are well equipped. Peoples are fantastic. Resources in terms of equipment and persons are available. Very good work-life balance. Rules and regulations are the only barrier in terms of administrative execution.
Student Competition
Skate Transmission Designer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 April 2017
It was a student competition where multiple people competed. SNC-Lavalin was involved and you had to be like consultant and propose the best solution for the task.
Good place to grow
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Canada18 April 2017
I have worked there for more than 6 months. It is a good place to learn new techniques and explore different areas. My supervisor encouraged me to work on my own ideas.
Good opportunities for advancing knowledge as an undergraduate
Laboratory Helper (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 April 2017
Working in the labs of McGill University provides a great refresher for students during the summer. The manager that I worked with provided great training and clear expectations of work that needed to be done. He was also very understanding when it came to personal issues experienced by his employees.
Pros
Nice people, opportunity to advance learning
Productive and serious workplace
Journalist for Le Délit (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 April 2017
Le Délit Français is a great opportunity for the francophones to explore their language and develop their journalism skills in French. McGill is majorly anglophone so this is a great way to return to the roots of Quebec. Le Délit is an institution now , as it has been publoshing articles for over a decade. The Culture department helps in discovering weekly events and enabled me to further explore Canadian culture during my year on exchange. This experience helped me with ym writing skills in my area of interest: art.
Philanthropic Club
Volunteer, Student (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 March 2017
I was VP events for a philanthropic club whose main goal was to raise money to provide impoverished children in Pakistan with a free education. Worthwhile experience.
Teaching assistant job at McGill with Health Canada
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 March 2017
Being a teaching assistant at McGill university has been quite a rewarding experience. I have the opportunity to give corrective feedback to students and grade their oral production assignments.
Good
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  McGill, QC26 March 2017
Good work place , but not enough room for career advancement . A great environment for work and life balance with great advantages and retirement plan
Great place to work, surrounded by forward thinkers
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 March 2017
While working at McGill University, I was surrounded by others who share my curiosities about reproduction, molecular biology and science in general. The liberty of flex-hours encouraged me to complete my duties while allowing me to find a good work-life balance. Being part of such a forward-thinking community allowed me to learn something new everyday. Although many people in my department were working on similar topics, each had a different perspective, and we were all eager to share our methods and protocols with others.
Great working environment
Special Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 March 2017
- Friendly staff
- Easy to work with
- Career-driven individuals
- Everyone that works their that is above you is really nice and respectful, they do their best to help you.
Pros
Strong working environment
Cons
Long commute
Great learning experience with good support system
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 March 2017
As a research student a typical work day was predictable - you go to the lab and do your experiments. I learned how to conduct experiments. The management was great, there when you needed them but not constantly over your shoulder.
Research Assistant
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 March 2017
Being a PhD student at McGill is an enjoyable journey. You have work-life balance. The city is very affordable for students with plenty options for outdoor work.
productive and harmonious place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 March 2017
I really enjoy my work here. My daily job varies and depends on research progression. People are nice and easily accessible. I have learned a lot of lab techniques. Apart from laboratory experience, I also learned how to manage my time wisely and foresee outcomes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGill University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3