McGill University Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 April 2017
Labs are well equipped. Peoples are fantastic. Resources in terms of equipment and persons are available. Very good work-life balance. Rules and regulations are the only barrier in terms of administrative execution.
Student Competition
Skate Transmission Designer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 April 2017
It was a student competition where multiple people competed. SNC-Lavalin was involved and you had to be like consultant and propose the best solution for the task.
Good place to grow
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Canada18 April 2017
I have worked there for more than 6 months. It is a good place to learn new techniques and explore different areas. My supervisor encouraged me to work on my own ideas.
Good opportunities for advancing knowledge as an undergraduate
Laboratory Helper (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 April 2017
Working in the labs of McGill University provides a great refresher for students during the summer. The manager that I worked with provided great training and clear expectations of work that needed to be done. He was also very understanding when it came to personal issues experienced by his employees.
Pros
Nice people, opportunity to advance learning
Productive and serious workplace
Journalist for Le Délit (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 April 2017
Le Délit Français is a great opportunity for the francophones to explore their language and develop their journalism skills in French. McGill is majorly anglophone so this is a great way to return to the roots of Quebec. Le Délit is an institution now , as it has been publoshing articles for over a decade. The Culture department helps in discovering weekly events and enabled me to further explore Canadian culture during my year on exchange. This experience helped me with ym writing skills in my area of interest: art.
Philanthropic Club
Volunteer, Student (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 March 2017
I was VP events for a philanthropic club whose main goal was to raise money to provide impoverished children in Pakistan with a free education. Worthwhile experience.
Teaching assistant job at McGill with Health Canada
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 March 2017
Being a teaching assistant at McGill university has been quite a rewarding experience. I have the opportunity to give corrective feedback to students and grade their oral production assignments.
Good
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  McGill, QC26 March 2017
Good work place , but not enough room for career advancement . A great environment for work and life balance with great advantages and retirement plan
Great place to work, surrounded by forward thinkers
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 March 2017
While working at McGill University, I was surrounded by others who share my curiosities about reproduction, molecular biology and science in general. The liberty of flex-hours encouraged me to complete my duties while allowing me to find a good work-life balance. Being part of such a forward-thinking community allowed me to learn something new everyday. Although many people in my department were working on similar topics, each had a different perspective, and we were all eager to share our methods and protocols with others.
Great working environment
Special Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 March 2017
- Friendly staff
- Easy to work with
- Career-driven individuals
- Everyone that works their that is above you is really nice and respectful, they do their best to help you.
Pros
Strong working environment
Cons
Long commute
Great learning experience with good support system
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 March 2017
As a research student a typical work day was predictable - you go to the lab and do your experiments. I learned how to conduct experiments. The management was great, there when you needed them but not constantly over your shoulder.
Research Assistant
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 March 2017
Being a PhD student at McGill is an enjoyable journey. You have work-life balance. The city is very affordable for students with plenty options for outdoor work.
productive and harmonious place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 March 2017
I really enjoy my work here. My daily job varies and depends on research progression. People are nice and easily accessible. I have learned a lot of lab techniques. Apart from laboratory experience, I also learned how to manage my time wisely and foresee outcomes.
Company dedicated to the community
Building Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 March 2017
Daily interaction with employees is positive
Opportunity to move to other postings
Can be very demanding, although with Time Management very pleasant.
Pros
Pension Plan
Cons
Transportation can be frustrating
A difficult first jump into academic research
Undergraduate Research Trainee (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 March 2017
I worked in contact with a server, using the density functional theory based software VASP to predict material properties. It was difficult to work in a field so closely related to quantum mechanics which was unfamiliar at the time. A lot of independent research and studying was involved in order to understand the software and the nature of the research.
Nice place to work
Course Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 February 2017
Nice place to work, with nice faculty staff. Pay is reasonable, students are smart. A good place to grow professionally. Road works spoil the day, but overall is good.
The challenges
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 February 2017
Full morning care: hygiene, help with trays, tidy patient's area, help with transfers, help physio-therapist, help with patient's admission and discharge. The hardest part of the job is when there is no communication. Most enjoyable part of the job is when patient is healing and ready to be discharged.
Pros
recognition for Nurses Weel
Cons
last minute sick calls
Reputed university
Course Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 February 2017
A vibrant student community. Faculty members are highly reputed. The best university in Canada. Work and family life can easily be balanced. Very good for career development.
Great
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 February 2017
Was left to be independent in taking control of the course in which I was acting as teaching assistant. Was fun and interactive, with plenty of learning on a day to day basis.
Great workplace!
EVENT COORDINATOR (CASUAL) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 January 2017
Great workplace & great team! Being on a casual contract has its downfalls (no benefits, no path to permanency). Over all great environment, non-stressful and great pay. Overtime pay as well. Friendly staff, open and willing to help.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGill University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4