McGill University Employee Reviews

Political etiquette prevents progression of culture to adapt to new people and societal changes
Housekeeping & Laundry Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 November 2016
Top down management system that dictates what needs to get done without consulting staff on the floor for valuable input.
Pros
Diverse culture
Cons
Sticks to status quo
Great place to work!
Admin Coordinator,Dean's Office,McGill University (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 January 2016
McGill University is a great place to work if you are a permanent employee. Unfortunately I took on a maternity leave replacement which does not allows for any benefits of any kind.
Other that that, my experience here was amazing! Great people to work for. Great work environment.
I was given the opportunity to advance my experience and take several courses to benefit my HR skills, web development and management skills.
I've also been given the opportunity to work closely with the University Advancement team and have learned valuable event management, fundraising and networking skills.
Working for McGill is without a doubt a great place to work.
Pros
Great work schedule
Cons
No benefits
Great institution to study in. Makes an individual better at whatever they do.
Research Assistant- Industrial Project (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 October 2016
I was enrolled in MEng(Thesis) program thus I had to manage my time for assignments, exam and research work. Initially, it took some time to get used to the workload but once I was into the system I really enjoyed the experience. Working with Prof.McClure as my supervisor helped me in becoming better at both engineering and management of activities. Currently, I am working on an industrial project with a Spanish company and Chinese supervisor. This international experience has grown my capabilities of understanding the client expectations and coordination.

The hardest part of my research work was understanding the science and mathematics involved in the problem. The problems we are dealing with were not part of regular civil engineering courses. Thus had to put an extra effort of taking courses(CFD) in other engineering departments.

The effort put in to solve such problems has developed my perspective of looking at new problems. Now I enjoy more while finding solutions to problems.
Cons
In French speaking state, so might have to leave Montreal if one don't know french
Admin Coordinator
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 April 2016
Best place to work. Advancements are encouraged as is higher education. Very good work arrangements and benefits. Very good work culture.
Great Research Institute
Postdoc (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 September 2016
The RI-MUHC is a great research institute. You will find there experts from several different health/biology-related fields. The work environment is great and the facilities are amazing.
Pros
Cutting edge facilities; Experts
Cons
As a postdoc you will not get the same benefits other employees get
Effective Management and Flexible Hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 July 2016
I enjoy working at the McGill University bookstore because it is a well-managed environment, with flexible hours and a dedicated staff. All employees are helpful and considerate, and the management staff successfully delegates tasks to each worker during shifts. The job has given the ability to multitask when needed and work with customers.
Interesting, but just a number
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 October 2016
Clinics always keep you on your toes and is a very interesting job but management and government make the job difficult. People are nice, hours uncertainan and unsteady if you do not have a permanant position.
Productive, Innovative, Research Orientated
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 August 2016
As a Research Associate and a PhD candidate at McGill University I have had many rewarding experiences that enhanced my expertise in the field of water treatment and water resource management.
The days are very productive and you'are mostly on the phone or behind a computer
Assistant de recherche (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 March 2016
A typical day at work would either involve me listening to interview recordings to then type it into a computer as a dialogue or of me explaining the questionnaires to potential participants. The interviews were interesting to listen to and i learned the importance of being clear in your communications. the hardest parts of the job were that I worked alone for the most part and the quality of the tape recordings made it difficult to understand at times. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about different cultures.
Pros
You learn about many different cultures
Cons
You work alone and the quality of tape recordings are sometimes hard to understand
Was fun and full of new experiences
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 August 2016
Had a great team, I learned plenty during my stage/internship. Working in the hospital was fun. You would start off your day by looking through the support tickets and call users if you cannot solve the problem by calling you show up and fix it. There was a lot of upgrading of computer systems and creating and restoring data backups. Network problems arise which is bad, but is solved within resonable times.
Pros
good team, great people working at the hospital, most of them are very understanding.
Cons
don't really have any cons to talk about.
Graduate life isn't forever!
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 January 2016
Being a grad student isn't a classic job but I treated it as a job nonetheless. I was paid to complete my thesis and teaching was meant to help subsidize my funding for my PhD. Overall I learned a lot about scientific research and analysis, and what to do and what not to do as a team leader (and hopefully supervisor) in the future. I enjoyed collaborating with other professors at the University and I thrived under the supportive academic atmosphere in my program. The best part of being a grad student is the flexibility of my schedule. I was able to accommodate the requirements of my teaching responsibilities while going into lab to complete work on my own projects. However, it was also difficult to put much time and effort into one job (teaching vs. research), there was always a balance that needed to be met, or else I would fall behind in either side of my responsibilities. Time management is key in this situation!

I plan to keep what I learned at McGill in mind and try to recreate that supportive academic atmosphere in my next position.
Pros
flexible schedule, teaching undergrads, able to be creative
Cons
long hours, not much pay, no time to do anything else
Productive and lot of learning
Office of Student (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 June 2016
School was excellent and the work culture was very good. I learnt a lot and made me grow as a person individually. I worked in different departments and everything taught me a lot
Good research centre
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 June 2016
As a Postdoctoral fellow is hard to balance work with life, the centre is good in equipment and there is usually good atmosphere with co-workers.
Pros
student
Cons
no benefits
very good team to work with
Diagnostic imaging Technologist(stage) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 October 2016
a very clean and spacious hospital with talented technologists that your work will be fun and the service excellent. that is hospitals centers that covers Montreal general hospital , Montreal children hospital, Royal Victoria hospital . all the hospitals work together to serve better Montreal people
Great work condition and friendly personnel
Building Director - Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 November 2016
The university is on the avant-garde on medical research, it was an exceptional experience working with researchers. Friendly administration personnel made the daily workload easier to accomplish.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
Over powering Senior Direction.
Great work place
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2016
Employed on a contract at McGill University as an Event Coordinator I worked towards the
2016 homecoming for alumni relations. I worked mainly on excel software creating event
pages, and alumni charts. During events I would hand out nametags to Alumni and answer
general questions.
Seismic research group
Seismic Interpretation Researcher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 October 2016
The research group is a great place to start out as Geophysicist or Geologist. I loved the interactions with my fellow researches. Overall, it was a great place to learn, discover, and work.
Excellent environment to work and learn
Summer Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 November 2016
Good experience. Kind staff. Excellent learning experience. Would recommend to anyone looking to work and learn in equal measure.
productive and fun
Post-doctoral, Mcgill University (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 August 2016
Actually, the day is full of a lot to do. Although all are busy but once you need any advice you can find more than one around you. Team work is the most amazing thing which I like to. Co-works are providing always the new in the group meeting. I enjoyed to work here indeed.
Pros
fun events
Cons
busy
a very good place to work . Team work is required and the care for the patients are required
diagnostic imaging technologist (stage) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 August 2016
It is like every other radiology department. you call the patients in the room and do the examination and after that with great care you send them back home or to there rooms in the hospital.

4.3