McGill University

McGill University Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
Research Assistant (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 January 2017
I love the fact that I am treated as an equal with the researchers even though I am an undergraduate research assistant and they are PhD candidates or post-doctoral fellows.
Good research opportunity
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 January 2017
Worked as undergraduate researcher. Professors are resourceful, colleagues are insightful.

The library has a lot of collections, always a good place to go.
Good working environment. Management was very competent.
Health Unit Coordinator (Administrative Agent Cl (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 January 2017
Loved working for the MUHC. Not only did they treat all their employees fairly and well, but the employees that worked there were some of the most caring and fun people I've ever met. Would go back anytime.
Enjoyable and fun workplace with great atmosphere
Camp Monitor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 January 2017
The camp taught me a lot about initiative and stepping to of the comfort zone. The co-workers bonded very well and gave the feeling of having a "camp family". I was given the ability to build confidence and strength because of the need to communicate with the customer. I learned a good amount about myself and where I really belong.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
No time for yourself
Great Learning Experience
Chemical Engineering Researcher (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 December 2016
Working at McGill University as a researcher comprised of running experiments and analyzing the results most days. The work environment was enjoyable and the research work was interesting.
Good experience
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 December 2016
If you want to get a feel of how research is, SURE (Summer Undergraduate Research Program) is a great way to get started. You get to work directly with professors and learn a lot.
Associate Director, Project Management (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 December 2016
Very good work life balance. The team is excellent and the salry is OK. Advancement can be slow. Overall a good place to work.
Clinical Instructor
Clinical Instructor Ingram School of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 December 2016
Supports student learning by assessing the student’s learning style and providing the appropriate teaching strategy.

A sense of inquiry and ability to critically reflect on nursing practice

Most enjoyable part of my job is being apart of a world renowned university that strives for excellency in their curriculums. Also working alongside exceptionally talented and inspirational individuals in leading fields of research and teaching.
Good work/Life balnce
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 December 2016
.Great for work/life balance however growth opportunity is quasi non-existent.

Pay will not increase (aside from inflation adjustment) unless you actually move to another department altogether.

Promotion will only occur if your supervisor moves around or is promoted; which is very unlikely.
Great work place
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2016
Employed on a contract at McGill University as an Event Coordinator I worked towards the
2016 homecoming for alumni relations. I worked mainly on excel software creating event
pages, and alumni charts. During events I would hand out nametags to Alumni and answer
general questions.
Excellent environment to work and learn
Summer Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 November 2016
Good experience. Kind staff. Excellent learning experience. Would recommend to anyone looking to work and learn in equal measure.
Political etiquette prevents progression of culture to adapt to new people and societal changes
Housekeeping & Laundry Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 November 2016
Top down management system that dictates what needs to get done without consulting staff on the floor for valuable input.
Pros
Diverse culture
Cons
Sticks to status quo
Great work condition and friendly personnel
Building Director - Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 November 2016
The university is on the avant-garde on medical research, it was an exceptional experience working with researchers. Friendly administration personnel made the daily workload easier to accomplish.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
Over powering Senior Direction.
very good team to work with
Diagnostic imaging Technologist(stage) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 October 2016
a very clean and spacious hospital with talented technologists that your work will be fun and the service excellent. that is hospitals centers that covers Montreal general hospital , Montreal children hospital, Royal Victoria hospital . all the hospitals work together to serve better Montreal people
Seismic research group
Seismic Interpretation Researcher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 October 2016
The research group is a great place to start out as Geophysicist or Geologist. I loved the interactions with my fellow researches. Overall, it was a great place to learn, discover, and work.
Great institution to study in. Makes an individual better at whatever they do.
Research Assistant- Industrial Project (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 October 2016
I was enrolled in MEng(Thesis) program thus I had to manage my time for assignments, exam and research work. Initially, it took some time to get used to the workload but once I was into the system I really enjoyed the experience. Working with Prof.McClure as my supervisor helped me in becoming better at both engineering and management of activities. Currently, I am working on an industrial project with a Spanish company and Chinese supervisor. This international experience has grown my capabilities of understanding the client expectations and coordination.

The hardest part of my research work was understanding the science and mathematics involved in the problem. The problems we are dealing with were not part of regular civil engineering courses. Thus had to put an extra effort of taking courses(CFD) in other engineering departments.

The effort put in to solve such problems has developed my perspective of looking at new problems. Now I enjoy more while finding solutions to problems.
Cons
In French speaking state, so might have to leave Montreal if one don't know french
Interesting, but just a number
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 October 2016
Clinics always keep you on your toes and is a very interesting job but management and government make the job difficult. People are nice, hours uncertainan and unsteady if you do not have a permanant position.
Great Research Institute
Postdoc (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 September 2016
The RI-MUHC is a great research institute. You will find there experts from several different health/biology-related fields. The work environment is great and the facilities are amazing.
Pros
Cutting edge facilities; Experts
Cons
As a postdoc you will not get the same benefits other employees get
Productive, Innovative, Research Orientated
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 August 2016
As a Research Associate and a PhD candidate at McGill University I have had many rewarding experiences that enhanced my expertise in the field of water treatment and water resource management.
a very good place to work . Team work is required and the care for the patients are required
diagnostic imaging technologist (stage) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 August 2016
It is like every other radiology department. you call the patients in the room and do the examination and after that with great care you send them back home or to there rooms in the hospital.

4.3