McGill University Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Admin Coordinator,Dean's Office,McGill University (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 25, 2016
McGill University is a great place to work if you are a permanent employee. Unfortunately I took on a maternity leave replacement which does not allows for any benefits of any kind.
Other that that, my experience here was amazing! Great people to work for. Great work environment.
I was given the opportunity to advance my experience and take several courses to benefit my HR skills, web development and management skills.
I've also been given the opportunity to work closely with the University Advancement team and have learned valuable event management, fundraising and networking skills.
Working for McGill is without a doubt a great place to work.
Pros
Great work schedule
Cons
No benefits
Post Doctoral Fellow
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 2, 2015
A multi cultural place with a flexible and balanced work schedule. Good co workers and good facilities. However, there is no room for advancement and the salary is relatively low. It is a good place to gain experience and learn new things.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Low salary, no benefits
Graduate life isn't forever!
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2016
Being a grad student isn't a classic job but I treated it as a job nonetheless. I was paid to complete my thesis and teaching was meant to help subsidize my funding for my PhD. Overall I learned a lot about scientific research and analysis, and what to do and what not to do as a team leader (and hopefully supervisor) in the future. I enjoyed collaborating with other professors at the University and I thrived under the supportive academic atmosphere in my program. The best part of being a grad student is the flexibility of my schedule. I was able to accommodate the requirements of my teaching responsibilities while going into lab to complete work on my own projects. However, it was also difficult to put much time and effort into one job (teaching vs. research), there was always a balance that needed to be met, or else I would fall behind in either side of my responsibilities. Time management is key in this situation!

I plan to keep what I learned at McGill in mind and try to recreate that supportive academic atmosphere in my next position.
Pros
flexible schedule, teaching undergrads, able to be creative
Cons
long hours, not much pay, no time to do anything else
I've had better university experiences
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 1, 2016
Perhaps I arrived in a bad funding climate, but the work environment was very toxic. This toxicity did not originate with my lab mates, but members of other labs on the floor. I purposefully chose not to attend an ivy league school as an undergraduate because I had heard to the rampant narcissism, belittling, sabotaging, and bad attitudes. It seems I found the Canadian version, sadly.

Also, they did not budget for machine maintenance, or personnel to maintain very expensive scientific equipment. American universities seem to have this better dealt with.
Pros
Montreal is a beautiful city.
Cons
Broken machines, toxic work environment
productive and fun
Post-doctoral, Mcgill University (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 7, 2016
Actually, the day is full of a lot to do. Although all are busy but once you need any advice you can find more than one around you. Team work is the most amazing thing which I like to. Co-works are providing always the new in the group meeting. I enjoyed to work here indeed.
Pros
fun events
Cons
busy
It is a very safe space, with all necessary equipements to perform my task. Moreover, I work and interact with other like minded researchers
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 9, 2016
My first day at work was full of mixed emotions. Challenging because I wasn't used to the system, and the environment. But I picked quickly through asking and observing carefully my coworkers.

the hardest and the enjoyable part of the job was when my boss who was also my direct supervisor went on vacation for three weeks and left me with full responsibilities of deciding and keeping everything move smoothly. At first it was not easy at all but as time went on I turned challenges into viable learning opportunities.
Great work environment
Sustainability and Waste Educator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 16, 2016
Students are given the ability to help students and see the impact of their effort on campus. Most duties centered around interacting with students and promoting composting on campus.
Pros
Free Lunches
Good research centre
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 30, 2016
As a Postdoctoral fellow is hard to balance work with life, the centre is good in equipment and there is usually good atmosphere with co-workers.
Pros
student
Cons
no benefits
Productive and lot of learning
Office of Student (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 18, 2016
School was excellent and the work culture was very good. I learnt a lot and made me grow as a person individually. I worked in different departments and everything taught me a lot
An excellent school for the research
Graduate Research Trainee (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 28, 2016
As a graduate research trainee I don't think I could have ask more. The job that was given to me was interesting and challenging at the same time. I had to work a lot but the results were outstanding.
fun workplace, sociable
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 2, 2016
I worked here for a few years.
Owners are very friendly. Comfortable working conditions. Got to leave early and still get payed if objectives were met.
Friendly co workers and staff.
Push for a lot of sales.
Amazing Place
Inter Residence Counsel (IRC) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 4, 2016
Awesome environment, the students are definitely the priority for the administration. I'm looking forward to spending my next three years in Montreal.
Great place for advanced scientific research
Project Leader - Undergraduate Mentorship (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 11, 2016
Spent 5 years conducting original research for a doctoral degree. In that time, I also had opportunities to teach students and mentor students in the lab.
Admin Coordinator
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 26, 2016
Best place to work. Advancements are encouraged as is higher education. Very good work arrangements and benefits. Very good work culture.
Productive, intellectually challenging and engaging
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 2, 2015
The experience in McGill University offered me the opportunity to greatly improve my analytical skills, problem solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills.

It offered me the opportunity to learn valuable softwares such as STATA and Crystal Ball and further utilise my knowledge with Microsoft Office.

Also, I was able to think and work independently as well as within multicultural teams in achieving defined projects with little or no supervisor under stated timelines.
One-time supervisory position of two student SLPs
Clinical Educator (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCAugust 22, 2015
Guided and evaluated two final year speech-language pathology students in completing their final practical experience. These students travelled from Montreal, QC to the rural Gaspe, QC for an experience to practice speech-language pathology in this area.
Pros
Excellent opportunity to demonstrate management skills for university
Cons
A one-time opportunity, no change for advancement or continuation in our rural area.
Productive workplace, great colleagues and culture
Administrative and Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 11, 2013
Great benefits; awesome managers and co-workers (this ofcourse all depends on your personality and how you view people). A place with many opportunities.
Pros
great benefits & management
Cons
no pay for overtime (underfunded).. so not fault of management i guess
Intern
internship (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 20, 2015
Intership provided by McGill University. Includes clinical rotation, community rotation and food service management rotation.
Top notch research university with big bureaucracy
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 4, 2012
McGill is one of Canada's top research universities--no longer the undisputed #1--and recruits excellent faculty and students. The bureaucracy is cumbersome, and much of the infrastructure leaves to be desired.
Pros
flexible hours, intellectual freedom, good benefits
Cons
too many bureaucrats
productive and a place to learn
Teaching Assistant, General Biology (Former Employee) –  mcgill universityJanuary 4, 2016
i learnt a lot from my boss and colleagues. the pay was very good. it was a wonderful experience. i also learned a great deal from the students i was assigned to.

4.4