McGill University

McGill University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
McGill ranks as one of the best universities in North America, and 17th in the world.
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 9, 2014
- People from across the globe.
- Enjoy the summer vibe and McGill’s green space.
fun productive
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), sainte anneJuly 8, 2014
typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Good university
Project Leader (Former Employee), Sainte-anne-de-bellevue, QCJune 16, 2014
It was a very good university and has lots of serious researchers. Feeling good working in it.
Fantastic University in one of the Best Cities!
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMay 5, 2014
Pros: educated and brilliant professors
Amazing Universities - a school that has a culture that is hard to explain to those that have never attended or visited Montreal. Something you can only experience yourself!
professional environment
Water Quality Specialist (Former Employee), Montréal, QCApril 9, 2014
Professional environment, Good place to learn, low salary
Graduate School
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Montreal, QCMarch 20, 2014
Good learning experience, intense competition and great scientific environment.
Accounting Technician
Accountant, Contract (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 19, 2014
Transfer 13 school cycles accounting information into 12 monthly accounting cycles.

CPE which has 13 Milieu Familial
Kids 0-6 months
kids older than 6 months
Many Variances
Excel Macros
exciting position where I learned to work both independently and in collaboration with others
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 1, 2014
To identify the valuable research topic for the research projects and to make contributions to the literature is so far the most challenging task I've ever had. I reviewed hundreds of interested papers and books for more than 10 months, took notes on the existing contributions of published papers, summarized the established results and tried to think – more... about possible improvement on them. It happened that I started to work on something I though was new but found out later on that someone else had already done similar research on it. It was frustrating sometimes but it also rang an alarm that literature review is an important and constant job for researchers. It is only through my strong interest in conducting research and determination that I finally found the interesting research questions that lead to my research topics and innovative analysis methodologies. – less
Clerk
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), Montreal, QCFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: not enough hours
Went through all the pay and calculated the extra time. It was during the ice storm, so it opened my eyes to the cost of a somewhat mild natural disaster.
Principle Gardener (Facilities Management)
Principle Gardener (Facilities Management) (Former Employee), Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QCFebruary 5, 2014
• Design, establishment and maintenance of McGill (Macdonald Campus) and John Abbott Campus gardens and lawns
• Source and purchase materials
• Management and supervision of a three person crew
Efficient and Policy Driven
Senior Adm Coordinator (Accounting Manager) (Current Employee), McGill UniversityDecember 28, 2013
Pros: summer fridays
I enjoy working with a diverse set of individuals whose skills and attributes vary and compliment one another.
Great place to learn and grow personnally and professionally
Graduate Researcher (M.Sc Student) (Former Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 16, 2013
Pros: develop many skills and abilities
Cons: long hours of work
Under the supervision of my supervisor, I was able to get my masters degree while facing real life challenges, managing several projects and meeting deadlines.
This is about work at McGill University as a student staff employee, particularly as a teacher: Stimulating work environment with little job security
Course Lecturer for German as a Foreign Language (Current Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 28, 2013
Basically it's your typical grad school experience, just the employment side of it, which is fun while it last, but unfortunately it never lasts long, meaning that every year anew you and your co-students/co-workers scramble over the few teaching or research assistance contracts that are available. Teaching (not only at McGill) is a lot of fun though! – more... For me, the most rewarding aspect is to work with young people who are eager to expand their minds and improve themselves as persons. The hardest part, aside from the daily stress of having to juggle classes of sometimes enormous size and your own research agenda, is the job insecurity, so that on top of effectively two highly demanding jobs (teaching and research) you also constantly have to keep applying for the next job and/or scholarship. Of course this is, like I said at the beginning, a general fact of grad school experience, but as such I believe it adequately describes the life as a student staff employee at McGill University. – less
Network Admin Knowledge (Former Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 14, 2013
Pros: access to networking equipment
Cons: not paid for it
Project work
I learnt a lot in the team of network professionals on how to setup Network equipment and monitoring
I learned a lot
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 22, 2013
Pros: flexible and friendly
Working with McGill University, I really learned a lot. My supervisor was responsive and patient. I easily communicated with the reviewers and professors at the university. The hours were flexible as well.
Not really there for long enough to tell
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 9, 2013
Unfortunately, my experience at McGill was too short to provide a helpful review. (This is a required field to set up a profile here.)
Fun workplace with amazing and innovative staff
Student Therapist (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 23, 2013
Covering practise or meets began with checking into the Windsor Clinic to retrieve the travel pack. This required ensuring the that pack was filled with gloves, band-aids, atheletic tape, scissors etc. Afterwards we would follow the team to the grounds where they would practice and/or compete. If during this time any athlete required additional stretching – more... or massage we would act accordingly. After the meet or practice is over we would return to the clinic where sometimes ice baths would be needed or further assisted stretching and massage. There would normally be two student therapists around and one head therapist, a small yet manageable team. The hardest part of the job was making sure that all athletes were given adequate attention while still attempting to stay within the clinics opening hours. The most enjoyable part of the experience was the incredible amount of hands on learning that was available, and always being able to learn new techniques from your superiors. – less
Expect to work long hours
Undergraduate Research Associate (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 7, 2013
If you go in knowing you are going to work a lot, that's great. Love what you do, and this place will be perfect for you. The culture is one of academic excellence and professionalism.
Employment Summary
Assistant to Senior Human Resources Professional (Former Employee), Montreal, QcApril 14, 2013
• Recruitment (triage of resume’s, setting up interviews, conducting reference checks, setting up standardized testing appointments, putting together welcome folder’s, etc.)
• Interpreting collective agreements.
• Summarizing and working through grievance cases.
• Government Training (Bill 90)- tracking.
• Administrative duties.
• Employee engagement – more... project: completed a forty-page research paper on the topic, one hundred and sixty hours of work in addition to my regular course load, and my research contributed towards the selection of an appropriate tool to measure employee engagement at the at School of Continuing Studies at McGill University. – less
University environment
Staffing Assistant (Former Employee), MontrealApril 4, 2013
Pros: flexible environment, great managers
Cons: conservative cultures
McGill has a conservative culture and a lot of history combined with a unionized environment that painted the scene for workplace environment in Human Resources. I had a great team, supportive managers and enjoyed a flexible schedule so that I could pursue a degree while working.

1 2 3

About McGill University

McGill University is a public research university located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The university bears the name of James – Read more