McGill University Employee Reviews in Canada

Amazing Place
Inter Residence Counsel (IRC) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 4, 2016
Awesome environment, the students are definitely the priority for the administration. I'm looking forward to spending my next three years in Montreal.
fun workplace, sociable
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 2, 2016
I worked here for a few years.
Owners are very friendly. Comfortable working conditions. Got to leave early and still get payed if objectives were met.
Friendly co workers and staff.
Push for a lot of sales.
An excellent school for the research
Graduate Research Trainee (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 28, 2016
As a graduate research trainee I don't think I could have ask more. The job that was given to me was interesting and challenging at the same time. I had to work a lot but the results were outstanding.
Admin Coordinator
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 26, 2016
Best place to work. Advancements are encouraged as is higher education. Very good work arrangements and benefits. Very good work culture.
Great place for advanced scientific research
Project Leader - Undergraduate Mentorship (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 11, 2016
Spent 5 years conducting original research for a doctoral degree. In that time, I also had opportunities to teach students and mentor students in the lab.
I've had better university experiences
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 1, 2016
Perhaps I arrived in a bad funding climate, but the work environment was very toxic. This toxicity did not originate with my lab mates, but members of other labs on the floor. I purposefully chose not to attend an ivy league school as an undergraduate because I had heard to the rampant narcissism, belittling, sabotaging, and bad attitudes. It seems I found the Canadian version, sadly.

Also, they did not budget for machine maintenance, or personnel to maintain very expensive scientific equipment. American universities seem to have this better dealt with.
Pros
Montreal is a beautiful city.
Cons
Broken machines, toxic work environment
It is a very safe space, with all necessary equipements to perform my task. Moreover, I work and interact with other like minded researchers
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 9, 2016
My first day at work was full of mixed emotions. Challenging because I wasn't used to the system, and the environment. But I picked quickly through asking and observing carefully my coworkers.

the hardest and the enjoyable part of the job was when my boss who was also my direct supervisor went on vacation for three weeks and left me with full responsibilities of deciding and keeping everything move smoothly. At first it was not easy at all but as time went on I turned challenges into viable learning opportunities.
Great place to work!
Admin Coordinator,Dean's Office,McGill University (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 25, 2016
McGill University is a great place to work if you are a permanent employee. Unfortunately I took on a maternity leave replacement which does not allows for any benefits of any kind.
Other that that, my experience here was amazing! Great people to work for. Great work environment.
I was given the opportunity to advance my experience and take several courses to benefit my HR skills, web development and management skills.
I've also been given the opportunity to work closely with the University Advancement team and have learned valuable event management, fundraising and networking skills.
Working for McGill is without a doubt a great place to work.
Pros
Great work schedule
Cons
No benefits
Graduate life isn't forever!
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2016
Being a grad student isn't a classic job but I treated it as a job nonetheless. I was paid to complete my thesis and teaching was meant to help subsidize my funding for my PhD. Overall I learned a lot about scientific research and analysis, and what to do and what not to do as a team leader (and hopefully supervisor) in the future. I enjoyed collaborating with other professors at the University and I thrived under the supportive academic atmosphere in my program. The best part of being a grad student is the flexibility of my schedule. I was able to accommodate the requirements of my teaching responsibilities while going into lab to complete work on my own projects. However, it was also difficult to put much time and effort into one job (teaching vs. research), there was always a balance that needed to be met, or else I would fall behind in either side of my responsibilities. Time management is key in this situation!

I plan to keep what I learned at McGill in mind and try to recreate that supportive academic atmosphere in my next position.
Pros
flexible schedule, teaching undergrads, able to be creative
Cons
long hours, not much pay, no time to do anything else
productive and a place to learn
Teaching Assistant, General Biology (Former Employee) –  mcgill universityJanuary 4, 2016
i learnt a lot from my boss and colleagues. the pay was very good. it was a wonderful experience. i also learned a great deal from the students i was assigned to.
Intern
internship (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 20, 2015
Intership provided by McGill University. Includes clinical rotation, community rotation and food service management rotation.
Productive, intellectually challenging and engaging
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 2, 2015
The experience in McGill University offered me the opportunity to greatly improve my analytical skills, problem solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills.

It offered me the opportunity to learn valuable softwares such as STATA and Crystal Ball and further utilise my knowledge with Microsoft Office.

Also, I was able to think and work independently as well as within multicultural teams in achieving defined projects with little or no supervisor under stated timelines.
Productive and fun workplace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 12, 2015
Conducive environment and excellent research community to work with renown scholars. Opportune to work with friendly colleagues who are ready to provide all the needed assistance professionally and morally.
Post Doctoral Fellow
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 2, 2015
A multi cultural place with a flexible and balanced work schedule. Good co workers and good facilities. However, there is no room for advancement and the salary is relatively low. It is a good place to gain experience and learn new things.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Low salary, no benefits
very productive.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 24, 2015
I already submitted the answer before, I had talked about that its basicly the same tasks every day, only in spring and summer its abit more of a detail.

such as stripping the floor back to the bare, then re waxing the floors to the standards of the building.
Good work environment and advantages
Research Data Administrator (Part-Time Contract) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 21, 2015
I appreciate working there a lot. Good work environment and excellent advantages. Reasonable supervisors in general. Encouraging good work/life balance.
The lab has amazing machines with latest technology
Computational fluid dynamics engineer (Former Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 14, 2015
I worked in modelling of slurry flowing in pipes to predict wear using ANSYS program. I created 3d model of a pipe geometry. I changed the parameters in ANSYS FLUENT and then simulated the velocity fields of slurry as well as pressure distribution within pipe.
Nice environment to work and to cooperate with the other researchers/students
Post Doc. (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 11, 2015
Nice environment to work and to cooperate with the other researchers/students

McGill is one of the best Universities in the world with the rank lower than 100 and in Canada between 1 to 3.
great colleagues
Head Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 10, 2015
- great to be around fellow students, leads to always interesting conversations
- this is a school environment so administration can be difficult to deal with sometimes
One-time supervisory position of two student SLPs
Clinical Educator (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCAugust 22, 2015
Guided and evaluated two final year speech-language pathology students in completing their final practical experience. These students travelled from Montreal, QC to the rural Gaspe, QC for an experience to practice speech-language pathology in this area.
Pros
Excellent opportunity to demonstrate management skills for university
Cons
A one-time opportunity, no change for advancement or continuation in our rural area.

4.3