McGill University

McGill University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
This is about work at McGill University as a student staff employee, particularly as a teacher: Stimulating work environment with little job security
Course Lecturer for German as a Foreign Language (Current Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 28, 2013
Basically it's your typical grad school experience, just the employment side of it, which is fun while it last, but unfortunately it never lasts long, meaning that every year anew you and your co-students/co-workers scramble over the few teaching or research assistance contracts that are available. Teaching (not only at McGill) is a lot of fun though! For me, the most rewarding aspect is to work with young people who are eager to expand their minds and improve themselves as persons. The hardest part, aside from the daily stress of having to juggle classes of sometimes enormous size and your own research agenda, is the job insecurity, so that on top of effectively two highly demanding jobs (teaching and research) you also constantly have to keep applying for the next job and/or scholarship. Of course this is, like I said at the beginning, a general fact of grad school experience, but as such I believe it adequately describes the life as a student staff employee at McGill University.
Graduate life isn't forever!
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee), Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: flexible schedule, teaching undergrads, able to be creative
Cons: long hours, not much pay, no time to do anything else
Being a grad student isn't a classic job but I treated it as a job nonetheless. I was paid to complete my thesis and teaching was meant to help subsidize my funding for my PhD. Overall I learned a lot about scientific research and analysis, and what to do and what not to do as a team leader (and hopefully supervisor) in the future. I enjoyed collaborating with other professors at the University and I thrived under the supportive academic atmosphere in my program. The best part of being a grad student is the flexibility of my schedule. I was able to accommodate the requirements of my teaching responsibilities while going into lab to complete work on my own projects. However, it was also difficult to put much time and effort into one job (teaching vs. research), there was always a balance that needed to be met, or else I would fall behind in either side of my responsibilities. Time management is key in this situation!

I plan to keep what I learned at McGill in mind and try to recreate that supportive academic atmosphere in my next position.
Fun workplace with amazing and innovative staff
Student Therapist (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 23, 2013
Covering practise or meets began with checking into the Windsor Clinic to retrieve the travel pack. This required ensuring the that pack was filled with gloves, band-aids, atheletic tape, scissors etc. Afterwards we would follow the team to the grounds where they would practice and/or compete. If during this time any athlete required additional stretching or massage we would act accordingly. After the meet or practice is over we would return to the clinic where sometimes ice baths would be needed or further assisted stretching and massage. There would normally be two student therapists around and one head therapist, a small yet manageable team. The hardest part of the job was making sure that all athletes were given adequate attention while still attempting to stay within the clinics opening hours. The most enjoyable part of the experience was the incredible amount of hands on learning that was available, and always being able to learn new techniques from your superiors.
exciting position where I learned to work both independently and in collaboration with others
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 1, 2014
To identify the valuable research topic for the research projects and to make contributions to the literature is so far the most challenging task I've ever had. I reviewed hundreds of interested papers and books for more than 10 months, took notes on the existing contributions of published papers, summarized the established results and tried to think about possible improvement on them. It happened that I started to work on something I though was new but found out later on that someone else had already done similar research on it. It was frustrating sometimes but it also rang an alarm that literature review is an important and constant job for researchers. It is only through my strong interest in conducting research and determination that I finally found the interesting research questions that lead to my research topics and innovative analysis methodologies.
Productive workplace and many things to learn.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 25, 2012
Pros: travel grants
Cons: untimely working hours
Working as research assistant in the food science plant at McGill University was truly an enriching experience. As a graduate student it helped me broaden my horizons in the aspects of food quality, food safety, food microbiology and analytical techniques.
Working with a team of highly qualified individuals in their aspect of study ranging from food processing, food chemistry and product, sky was just a limit.
As I was working on an Industrial project, we had to perform to deliver. Managing my courses with lab at times was tedious, but instilled in me to think quick and act smart. I realized to be the best in the business, you have to deliver.

I was awarded the graduate excellence scholarship for my work.
I hope my education and research experience has laid down a foundation as to apply my knowledge in the industrial sector.
Great working environment, working on things that matter. Too abstract, not enough day-to-day results for my taste.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 2, 2012
Pros: work when you want, as long as the job is done.
Cons: boring meetings, reporting to many people, very abstract work.
A typical day at the office would consist of analyzing data, writing computer codes, producing graphics and attend meetings.
I learned a great deal about teamwork, computer programming, solving problems, redacting scientific texts.
Supervisor was very laid back and relaxed, but focused when it came to the job.
The least enjoyable part of the job were the often long meetings.
I did enjoy the working hours, my colleagues and most of the project I was working on.
Employment Summary
Assistant to Senior Human Resources Professional (Former Employee), Montreal, QcApril 14, 2013
• Recruitment (triage of resume’s, setting up interviews, conducting reference checks, setting up standardized testing appointments, putting together welcome folder’s, etc.)
• Interpreting collective agreements.
• Summarizing and working through grievance cases.
• Government Training (Bill 90)- tracking.
• Administrative duties.
• Employee engagement project: completed a forty-page research paper on the topic, one hundred and sixty hours of work in addition to my regular course load, and my research contributed towards the selection of an appropriate tool to measure employee engagement at the at School of Continuing Studies at McGill University.
Flexible hours, constructive and supportive environment
Intramural soccer coordinator and head referee (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good pay, flexible hours
Part time work included hours that fit with school schedule, working mainly on weeknights and weekends. Duties included setting up matches and effectively managing the games while in progress. As a coordinator, my job included weekly consultation with the department head, as well as frequent communication with co-workers with regards to schedule writing and game management. While coordination required almost constant connection to the job, it also enhanced my time management and communication skills.
Good way to get paid fast, but very tiresome and lots of work!
INVIGILATOR (Current Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 3, 2015
The supervisors are very friendly. Unfortunately, the job is not publicized well, so fewer people than needed work, so most of the time everyone receives overtime. It's a benefit, but highly stressful as invigilations start at 7:00am and can end after 6:00pm. As a graduate student, working a full day while completing course requirements or teaching can be challenging and tiresome.
Health care assistant for human or animal
Animal Care Worker (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 8, 2014
Pros: rather not to work in a group
Cons: i can learn fast and willing to take over or help other to accomplish the task
I have a tendency to work for people who are not able to do daily tasks as well as animals. My goal is to make it easier for them to do tasks and make some small changes in their life. That will be my dream job as a person to give attention love and care for those needed.
Productive, intellectually challenging and engaging
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 2, 2015
The experience in McGill University offered me the opportunity to greatly improve my analytical skills, problem solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills.

It offered me the opportunity to learn valuable softwares such as STATA and Crystal Ball and further utilise my knowledge with Microsoft Office.

Also, I was able to think and work independently as well as within multicultural teams in achieving defined projects with little or no supervisor under stated timelines.
Fun and challenging
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee), Montreal QCMarch 21, 2013
Pros: great lectures
Cons: academic nepotism
A nest of exuberance where youth and wisdom intermix. Working at McGill as a postdoc with loose if not inexistent supervision from an absent supervisor gave me the self assurance needed later as a chemistry director. During this time I managed to publish my work in the most cited journals and increase my scientific impact factor.
The work environment in broadband communications group here in the department of ECE in McGill University is awesome.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMay 29, 2015
I work as a postdoctoral fellow under the supervision of Prof. Tho Le-Ngoc. At present, I am working on device-to-device communications, where the devices are capable of harvesting renewable energies from the environment. I develop algorithms to optimize the system resources with the help of optimization and machine learning tools. I enjoy working with our professor as well as with fellow colleagues.
McGill University
Client Service Representative (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 11, 2013
My job consists of helping students with any inquiries they may have while performing daily tasks and keeping a positive atmosphere in the office. During my time at McGill University I have learned a great deal regarding government and educational processing obtaining legal document as well as other certain documents needed for students further their educational careers. I work in a great positive environment with very helpful colleagues.
Ensure exam processes and procedures are adhered to
Exam Invigilator (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMay 5, 2015
Pros: I can study during exams
Cons: It isnt as frequent as i would like it to be
The job is not frequent as I am only required when students are writing exams. I set up examinations hall after receiving the exams. I register all students, ensure they are settled in and attend to any questions or issues. We are normally paired to ensure that the hall never left unattended to.
One-time supervisory position of two student SLPs
Clinical Educator (Former Employee), Montreal, QCAugust 22, 2015
Pros: Excellent opportunity to demonstrate management skills for university
Cons: A one-time opportunity, no change for advancement or continuation in our rural area.
Guided and evaluated two final year speech-language pathology students in completing their final practical experience. These students travelled from Montreal, QC to the rural Gaspe, QC for an experience to practice speech-language pathology in this area.
The lab has amazing machines with latest technology
Computational fluid dynamics engineer (Former Employee), MontrealSeptember 14, 2015
I worked in modelling of slurry flowing in pipes to predict wear using ANSYS program. I created 3d model of a pipe geometry. I changed the parameters in ANSYS FLUENT and then simulated the velocity fields of slurry as well as pressure distribution within pipe.
very productive.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 24, 2015
I already submitted the answer before, I had talked about that its basicly the same tasks every day, only in spring and summer its abit more of a detail.

such as stripping the floor back to the bare, then re waxing the floors to the standards of the building.
McGill University is Great.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Montreal, QCAugust 3, 2015
McGill University is a diverse and very reach community in the heart of one the most vibrant cities in North America.

Studying at McGill gave me the opportunity of expanding my experiences, getting to know many professionals in my field and learning a lot by contacting so many talented individuals.
Fun work environment
Member of the Concrete Canoe (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMay 9, 2015
We works as a team to build a canoe out of concrete. I've learned how to use different materials to mix concrete. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning the different ratios in order to make sure the canoe is strong enough but at the same time, it can float.