McGill University Employee Reviews

fun working
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC19 June 2017
I enjoyed working at this company .Now I need to do something else ,like driving a bus .the culture is great ,a nice place to work .Nice colleagues .I learn how to protect the students and the company
Pros
free lunch
Cons
working night
Progressive and fun
BITS Promotional Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 June 2017
You have a formation and they will tell you what is the task. You soon learn to be independent and give the best of you ! I enjoyed learning. The best part is to see the changes or progress you bring to the team.
Interesting workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Montreal11 June 2017
Very good team and volunteer supervisors.They were very attentive and ready to help. The hospital is very new and is interesting to see. I enjoyed helping people find their way around the hospital.
Good staff support, healthy working environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 June 2017
As a teaching assistant at McGill I enjoyed the support of senior staff and administration when it came it integrating into the work environment. I was given independence, but help was available when I needed it.
Mcgill University
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 May 2017
Hard work environment but very rewarding, involved supervisors and professors. The hardest part of the job is the work life balance, as McGill is entirely type-A personalities looking to get ahead.
Good from the outside
Compensation Advisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 May 2017
I went to work at McGill because it seemed like a dream job. They offer great perks like summer Fridays, 3 weeks' vacation from the start and an extra week at Christmas. These perks are not worth the politics, lack of job security, a toxic work culture and the bureaucracy that fills the offices.
Great people to work with
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 May 2017
My experience working at McGill was very rewarding, I learned so many new things and met some amazing people who I am still in contact with today. I enjoyed my job very much, it was challenging and I was always busy.
Pros
The people I worked with
Great place for students to work part time to get a foothold in the workplace
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Montreal Quebec10 May 2017
I worked in dry and wet labs during my work at McGill. I had to meet strict deadlines and work efficiently to meet them. However, the atmosphere in the lab was relaxed and geared towards not only getting results but also towards teaching students and helping them develop as young engineers. The most enjoyable part of the work was theorizing why some experiments did not give us the results we expected.
Good
Summer Research Student (Former Employee) –  McGill, QC8 May 2017
Very good principal investigator
Learned many lab technics such as cell culture, cell separation, whole tissue fixation, histology, immunofluorescence
Very demanding laboratory
Ambiance de travail très agréable
Stage de recherche ingénieur (Former Employee) –  Montreal CANADA5 May 2017
Ambiance de travail très agréable, personnes de nationalité et horizons différentes
Work culture was fine. There was problem of communications.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 May 2017
Work culture was fine. A typical work day was not stressful. Hardest part was the problem of communications. Everyday challenge and research work was enjoyable.
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 April 2017
Labs are well equipped. Peoples are fantastic. Resources in terms of equipment and persons are available. Very good work-life balance. Rules and regulations are the only barrier in terms of administrative execution.
Student Competition
Skate Transmission Designer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 April 2017
It was a student competition where multiple people competed. SNC-Lavalin was involved and you had to be like consultant and propose the best solution for the task.
Good place to grow
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Canada18 April 2017
I have worked there for more than 6 months. It is a good place to learn new techniques and explore different areas. My supervisor encouraged me to work on my own ideas.
Good opportunities for advancing knowledge as an undergraduate
Laboratory Helper (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 April 2017
Working in the labs of McGill University provides a great refresher for students during the summer. The manager that I worked with provided great training and clear expectations of work that needed to be done. He was also very understanding when it came to personal issues experienced by his employees.
Pros
Nice people, opportunity to advance learning
Productive and serious workplace
Journalist for Le Délit (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 April 2017
Le Délit Français is a great opportunity for the francophones to explore their language and develop their journalism skills in French. McGill is majorly anglophone so this is a great way to return to the roots of Quebec. Le Délit is an institution now , as it has been publoshing articles for over a decade. The Culture department helps in discovering weekly events and enabled me to further explore Canadian culture during my year on exchange. This experience helped me with ym writing skills in my area of interest: art.
Philanthropic Club
Volunteer, Student (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 March 2017
I was VP events for a philanthropic club whose main goal was to raise money to provide impoverished children in Pakistan with a free education. Worthwhile experience.
Teaching assistant job at McGill with Health Canada
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 March 2017
Being a teaching assistant at McGill university has been quite a rewarding experience. I have the opportunity to give corrective feedback to students and grade their oral production assignments.
Good
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  McGill, QC26 March 2017
Good work place , but not enough room for career advancement . A great environment for work and life balance with great advantages and retirement plan
Great place to work, surrounded by forward thinkers
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 March 2017
While working at McGill University, I was surrounded by others who share my curiosities about reproduction, molecular biology and science in general. The liberty of flex-hours encouraged me to complete my duties while allowing me to find a good work-life balance. Being part of such a forward-thinking community allowed me to learn something new everyday. Although many people in my department were working on similar topics, each had a different perspective, and we were all eager to share our methods and protocols with others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGill University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3