McKenzie Towne Council is looking for a Parks Manager to join our team of maintenance personal. You will be able to dress casually and work with a small team of professionals. This is an excellent opening to work with a team focused on creating a positive community experience.
The Parks Manager must have strong organizational, problem solving skills and experience in working in a facility and parks setting. The Parks Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day landscaping of the McKenzie Towne Grounds, Parks, and, other areas under the umbrella of McKenzie Towne Council, including the City of Calgary Maintenance Agreement. They will ensure that the maintenance of all parks equipment is being done.
The Parks Manager reports directly to the Properties Manager and is responsible for the areas outlined herein, and sundry duties as assigned.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Parks Manager will be responsible for:
- Assists the General Manager and Properties Manager in preparing, administrating and monitoring the maintenance/parks operating budget
- Purchase of equipment and supplies within approved limits
- General horticulture practices (trimming, weed pulling, cutting grass, snow removal, etc.)
- Maintain, repair and clean the maintenance equipment (checking oil, tire pressures, air filters, etc.
- Installation of the outdoor recreational ice areas/fire pit; water feature
- Assists with a variety of operational duties including general maintenance (such as painting, drywall repair, and carpentry, tile work and minor electrical and plumbing), construction, upgrading, etc.
- Oversee recording of maintenance/vehicle logs
The Parks Manager in cooperation with the Properties Manager will interview, hire and terminate parks department staff and is responsible for:
- Supervision and scheduling of parks staff (full time, part time and seasonal)
- Ensure that the maintenance staff is educated in work place safety and are working in a safe manner
- Ensure that the maintenance staff is properly trained to use all equipment
The Parks Manager will be required to assist with supplemental watering, pathway cleaning, snow removal, irrigation start up and blow out, turf fertilization and weed control, electrical and plumbing services.
Duties include developing and reviewing the parks and landscaping plan to ensure that the parks and landscaping is maintained to a standard acceptable to the board, ensure that the requirements of the City of Calgary Maintenance Agreement is being followed, and maintain other areas of the community as required by the board.
- Post-secondary education in Horticulture, Turf Management, Landscaping, Golf Course experience, or closely related field of study and/or equivalent work experience
- Pool Operators Level 1 Course
- Irrigation Experience
- Education in Workplace Health and Safety practices
- Sound computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, ability to learn new programs
- Demonstrated ability in staff management and supervision
- Leadership, management and training skills along with a basic working knowledge of financial and project management
- Problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution skills are required with interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- CPR and First Aid Training
- Bondable, valid Alberta driver’s license, clean drivers abstract (must provide proof)
The maintenance department works 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday with some evening and weekend work on rotation/on call. McKenzie Towne Council offers an excellent benefit package.
Please forward your resume with references and salary expectations to:
Only those contacted will be granted an interview.