McDonald's Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,973 reviews matching the search
Sr. Manager, Project Management Office (Current Employee) –  TorontoAugust 26, 2015
Not a bad place to start your career. You get the opportunity to learn by doing. There are a ton of barriers for advancement. The company is built on the shoulders of young people who're humble and have no career ambitions aside from making it at McDonald's.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Zero work/life balance. Always under pressure to perform and produce more.
fun work envirorment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 18, 2016
it is a good job for base salary. most managers are easy to get along with. co-workers were always easy to work with everyday
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
long days
Awful Workplace Enviroment with Horrid Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NSJuly 30, 2015
At my local Amherst McDonald's the management was horrible with little hours; nothing improved with time or effort to fix issues. By the end of it I was getting 3 hours a week with mainly lobby shifts and hardly got called in.

On another positive note almost all of the co-workers were very friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand.

The hardest part of the job was knowing I was getting lesser treatment from management (and some trainers) than my coworkers, mainly through respect and the # of hours.
Pros
Amazing coworkers, 50% off a meals and other platinum card benefits and free uniforms
Cons
Horrid management (lesser treatment) and little hours.
Tough but rewarding
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2015
Tough physical and mental job but due their management training it was a very rewarding job. The job offered decent benefits as well.
Pros
training
Cons
long hours with sometimes no breaks
Easy but fast paced.
Back crew (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONOctober 14, 2015
Worked mostly the night shifts with nobody else helping kitchen. On a quiet night you can talk to the coworkers casually. On a busy night there was no time to make sandwiches, and no time to make mistakes. Coworkers were friendly, and the manager tried their best to help you when in need. The salary wasn't amazing but you learn how to work under stress, pressure and at a high speed.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Extremely fast paced.
Fun place to work with amazing co-workers
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 4, 2016
This was my first job and I definitely think it was a great experience. I got to meet amazing people and had such kind and fun co-workers. The management was great, they were all very supportive and always there to help whenever you didn't understand something. The only issue I had was with switching shifts with another co-worker or taking days off because they were sometimes not given to you and sometimes the store manager could be quite rude when you wanted to give your shift away or switch with someone else. They actually stopped shift switches all together at one point so if, for example, you only had one shift that week but you cannot make it that day, you would have to give away your shift altogether and not work at all. I just thought it was dumb that we wouldn't be able to switch shifts when your co-worker wants too.
Pros
50% off at McDonalds and discounts at other places as well. (Payless, Marks, Goodlife, Apple, etc.)
Cons
Weird about shift changes
Productive and enjoyable workplace
customer service / front counter (Former Employee) –  London, ON - 61 Oxford St EDecember 13, 2015
- log in, get dressed and go right to floor and get to work
- great customer service skills, working in a team
- management was awesome, very understanding and lenient towards crew members when it came to school and other priorities.
- my coworkers are and we're what made me love going to work, they treated me like family right away when I started, everyone got along and treated everyone fairly and respectfully
- Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner rushes, those were my favourite parts of the day even though they we'er the most difficult because, it was very busy and fast paced and time just flew by!
Pros
good amount of shifts/hours, work environment, managers
Cons
long hours - but went by fast, rude customers
Experience varies where you work
SHIFT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Since all McDonald's in Ottawa (and most in the rest of Canada) are now franchises, your experience will really vary upon who you work on. In my 5+ years of working there, I'd say the experience was generally positive, but unfortunately declined as the years went on and that was why I choose to leave. The store went through five store managers while I was there and it was very different under each one. Some were amazing and some were incompetent. I will say that McDonald's has a very good training program and working here will make you more desirable for jobs in the same area (other fast food, restaurants, retail...) I learned a lot of skills there that are transferable to other jobs. It is an easy job once you learn it (both kitchen and cashier jobs, even management, I worked every level and every station), but it is a fast paced and stressful environment which isn't a good fit for everyone. Unfortunately as time went on the owner and store manager became more obsessed with saving money and cutting costs that the quality of service went down and it made employees unhappy. They became very stingy with wages and increases (while still claiming to be generous compared to similar jobs, not true). If you tried to get benefits, which according to policy was available to all full time employees who had worked full time for 1 year, you would be given the run around. I was denied them even though I had worked the required time. It was also hard to get promoted where I worked as it was a tiny store (although I have heard it is easier at larger stores). Crew members started getting their  more... hours cut and would only get one three hour shift a week while we would still get new employees. I ultimately choose to leave to work at a sit down restaurant where the starting pay is higher than I had as a manager. Despite this, the first 3.5ish years of my time there was fantastic and I really think this is a good starting job for teenagers and college students who really need flexible hours while in school and learn valuable skills.  less