McDonald's Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
not a good idea
general labourer (Former Employee), Fort Erie, ONMarch 21, 2016
Pros: decent staff, decent hours
Cons: low pay, no benefits
not a bad place to work, decent staff and somewhat decent managers, down side %90 of the employee's who work there don't really care about their job yet get promotions and rewards while the %10 that do and try their best to keep things going are usually the ones to that don't get recognized as good workers.
free meals for managers
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCMarch 10, 2016
Pros: free meals for managers
Cons: franchisees are becoming too cheap towards their staff
Too much office politics and less action. Everything from salary to productivity to quality is negatively affected as a result. Crew are not motivated and turn over rate is high.
Productive and skill based with good and bad days
Laborer (Current Employee), Stratford, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: Great people, Great skills learned
Cons: Long hours, some management issues
A typical day at work could be fantastic, or horribly wrong. It all would depend on the workers, time, and length of shift. Management and my co-workers were relatively great to work with, and I learned many great skills from them.
bussy, fast paced
Drive through cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2016
Pros: hours
Cons: management
days were busy, management was okay not the best co workers made work go by easily hardest part was long hours and the customers which would argue about the food not being prepared properly, taking orders and preparing beverages at the front. the fact that time went by fast because there was always something to do
Career growth at McDonald's
2ième Assistant Gérant (Former Employee), MontrealOctober 1, 2015
I have worked for McDonald's for 8 years and going, and has been my first job. They have always been flexible in terms of availability, and they're always there to help you with whatever you need. They have taught me many new skills and helped me grow as a person.
Yes it is a stressful job. However, you make friends working for McDonald's, and they make the job more fun and easier. I have moved up the ranks slowly,and each new position came with new challenges and new responsibilities.
I would definitely recommend working for McDonald's if you're a student looking to make pocket money, or even to finance your studies; I would also recommend it if you're looking for a stable career. You really need to put yourself into the job, dedicate yourself and work hard at improving yourself. The opportunities will come as it is a global company.
productive and fun work place
crew trainer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: benifits
i get to work with some of my friends, time goes by fast because of how busy we get. the management team treats everyone the same, the hardest part of the job is when the customers complain. a typical work day would be having to clean the lobby and help out at the counter, or im either stuck at drive thru
Fast-paced, high energy workplace
CREW MEMBER (Current Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 6, 2016
Pros: Employee discounts on food, regular crew events
Cons: Long hours, physical demands
I am currently working full-time at McDonald's, which has been quite a change from working part-time. A typical day consists of seemingly non-stop customer traffic, with the added pressure of speed and accuracy being a necessity in order for everything to run smoothly. The management team at my location has undergone significant changes within the past few months, but everyone makes themselves available to hear your concerns/complaints, and does their best to make your schedule accommodate your lifestyle. The co-workers are likely the best part of working at McDonald's, and I feel like I'm a part of a big family. These are the people I see eight hours a day Monday to Friday, which is why we've all grown very close. The hardest part of the job would be both the physical and mental demands. You're required to stay on your feet for long periods of time, life heavy boxes, risk burns with either the coffee, fry station heating lamps, or boiling water for tea (all of which I've experienced). However managers are extremely concerned when it comes to injuries, and if anyone has sustained an injury in the workplace they are most-often sent home to recover and sometimes even given a free cookie. I sincerely love working at McDonald's.
Productive and fun workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Unfriendly Management
A typical day at work would be to make food and stock the fridge with products for quick and easy access. I learned how to work in a team based environment. Management thought they were gods and put themselves and their needs above yours, when trying to bring attention to problems in the workplace they simply said OK and nothing was done about it. co-workers were mostly friendly except for the ones that spoke about you in their native tongue and laughed when you ask them to speak in English. The hardest part of the job was working with people who seemed like they didn't want to be working so work felt kind of awkward. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility in hours, I was able to have my life outside of work without being too tired.
great place to work, lots of opportunity to learn and grown within
First Assistant Salary Manager (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 10, 2015
Pros: benefits
best part of working at McDonald's is being part of a huge family that you get to see everyday. There's lots of room to grow and learn as they offer many courses throughout advancement. Many people look down on McDonald's but the truth is that it opens so many doors no matter how long your career there lasts.
I learned lots about hard work at McDonald's i also have gotten experience in the work force.
Crew (Current Employee), Delta, BCJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: 50% off your food, also your end up making lots of friends.
Cons: The fast intensity and the amount of speed and efficiency required tires you out after long hours.
A typical day consists of me clocking in and going to my manager to see what duties i will be doing and then from there i will be assigned to many different tasks. The tasks consisted of me batch cooking, putting the food together, cleaning the tables outside or clearing the empty boxes of food into the dumpster. I learned that i making money is not as easy as it seems also i have learned that you need to preform 110% of your abilities all the time. My management was very nice and understanding yet i always had the desire to impress them. My co-workers had a great relationship with me i was a team player and never put anyone down for poor performance yet i pushed them to do well. The hardest part of working at McDonald's was that you are under continues pressure to preform well and not mess up also the intensity is quite fast and hard but i have mastered it over time. The most enjoyable part of working at McDonald's is that you get to interact with many other social co-workers, and you can have lots of productive fun at work like races of production.
Unreasonable Scheduling for Part-time Students
CREW MEMBER (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 3, 2016
Pros: Free Drinks
Cons: Unreasonable Scheduling
I'm currently a highschool student and approaching my first week of grade 12 I received my weekly schedule. It turned out I was given 40 hours during my first week of school. I talked to the manager asking if it was a mistake and she disagreed. She told me to 'deal with it' and I did for that week, my next schedule was then 37 hours - as a student my maximum amount of hours was 20. This continued for weeks until I eventually started failing my classes and had to leave my job. The crew I worked with was the only thing I looked forward to, but the management was very poor. Managers frequently became frustrated and backlashed on customers and employees. I gained many skills from this experience but would not recommend working here
Daily Work
Kitchen Worker (Former Employee), 1600 Highway 7 CONCORD ON L4K 4J8September 22, 2015
Pros: free coffee, and discounts
Cons: long hours
Started my shift by changing, then signing in at the front. I try to show up at least 5 minutes early so I can get an idea how busy it might be, and what needs to be prepped. The management and co-workers are very friendly and I find it helps to have good communication with them.

Hardest part of the job is working at when the place is messy and busy, and trying to keep up with the orders, while doing the rest of the small things, like tiding up and getting stock. The funnest part of the day is knowing when I made someone's job easier, and cheering people up when they're stressing.

I learned that you have always have to be ready for the busiest day, which means getting your vitamins and sleep. Also planning ahead so you don't get out of stock at a critical time, and having good communication with co-workers on what needs to be done.
Fun and Demanding Job, Great Atmosphere
Crew Trainer (Former Employee), Listowel, ONAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Guarenteed Breaks, Employee Gold Card (50% Off McDonald's Accross Canada), Great People
Cons: Long Hours, Hot Conditions
McDonald's is a great place to work.

While a lot of your job will involve standing around and working for long hours (up to 8), the atmosphere and the overall experience gained makes up for it.

While you will likely initially be earning minimum wage, there is a lot of opportunity for advancement and higher wages for those who put the effort in. You get what you put in with this job.

While there are many challenges associated with this job, such as the long hours and sometimes hot working conditions, the satisfaction at the end of the day makes it all worth it.

The Crew Trainer aspect only raises that satisfaction, as you are responsible for training new staff on a variety of different stations. Knowing that you've made an impact within the business because of your training is a great feeling, and provides a lot of experience for future jobs and positions.

McDonald's is a great place to work for a part time or starting job. I would recommend it to almost anyone.
Productive job with amazing co-workers
Kitchen Crew Member (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: Employee discount, flexible hours.
Cons: Not enough hours.
Typical day at work consisted of preparation and assembly of product, while maintaining cleanliness of the work environment, as well as assisting other staff members in their tasks. I learned multi-tasking and team membership. The management was not outstanding nor were they particularly terrible. My co-workers were fantastic. I believe they made the job far more enjoyable. The job was never difficult. Every aspect was manageable and reasonable. The most enjoyable part of the job was being in an environment with fantastic co-workers that made you laugh and smile while working.
Co-workers are fun to work with
Cashier (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 4, 2016
Pros: half price food, regular outings after work
Cons: stressful and fast-paced
A typical day at McDonalds includes taking orders, suggesting items to customers, preparing food and drinks and multitasking. This is the job where I've learned to multitask - while one person has completed their order, I have to take the next one while preparing the order of the previous customer.The management was mostly friendly but under stress they can be very hard on you. Co-workers made it so much easier to deal with the stress. The hardest part of the job was dealing with rude and inconsiderate customers, but I was able to handle it by talking through solutions with them or ignoring their rudeness. The most enjoyable aspects were the planned outings we had with managers and co-workers, like going to the movies or the beach.
Worked with some of my closest friends, great benefits, room to grow
Swing Manager (Former Employee), Georgetown, ONMarch 9, 2016
Pros: 50% off, great staff, great benefits
Cons: Low pay
McDonald's was my first job, I started in high school and as a part time staff you could basically choose your hours, as long as you knew how to convince people to switch your shifts. In order to advance you really had to make yourself stand out from the pack, which could prove difficult, or you could just take matters into your own hands which is exactly what I did. Made myself versatile and a leader and they rewarded me. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it