McDonald's Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Productive place with hardworking people
Crew Member (Kitchen Staff) (Former Employee), Kanata, ONFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of preparing and cooking meals throughout the shift. I would clean and perform sanitary duties on the go, emphasizing the importance of keeping my workplace clean. I learned a lot from here, and developed lots of skills. Learned to work well under pressure and work well with a team. The managers were very nice, but they made sure that all our work was done effectively, correctly, and quickly. The co-workers were respectful and helpful, and always made sure to help out if their co-workers fell behind or made a mistake. The hardest part of the job is working during lunch, where it gets very busy. During this busy time, the food still has to be made quickly and effectively. The most enjoyable part of the job is receiving praise from co-workers, managers, and customers for my work.
Great place to learn
Manager (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCFebruary 4, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours, great co-workers
Cons: Understaffed, overworked, not enough compensation
A day at McDonald's would be the same. Taking orders and serving customers, clean up and stock up, cover for breaks and repeat. As a manager I would position crew members, delegate tasks and oversee all the above activities.

I learned the importance of communication. In order for a steady work flow, all members of the team must be communicating with each other, as well as with the customers, to ensure order accuracy and to deliver it in a time-efficient manner.

The hardest part of the job would be the scheduling. We would be constantly understaffed and would have to work twice as hard to keep the restaurant running.

The best part of the job would be the knowledge I gained there. I was able to advance positions and create a foundation to build my future career on.
Lots of Opportunity and Benefits
Manager (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 9, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours.
Cons: Can be stressful.
McDonald's is a very good place to work. It offers a lot of opportunity and benefits to its employees. There is room for advancement, it teaches you people skills, and how to handle working in stressful situations. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with your co-workers, usually it is a lot of fun and you end up becoming like a family. The hardest part is having to deal with angry customers. Management is usually good and really understanding. Overall McDonald's is a great place to work.
Good place for beginners
Crew Trainer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
Pros: Raise every year depending on your performance
Cons: Sometimes management don't listen to the crew
McDonalds was on okay place to work, I worked at better places but I wasn't the worse place. The hours were very flexible, so it was able to accommodate to my school.
However the managers did sometimes schedule people outside of their availability and when it was brought to their attention, it wasn't taken seriously and sometimes did nothing to help.
Of course this is only some managers and only the one McDonalds.
Worked with some of my closest friends, great benefits, room to grow
Swing Manager (Former Employee), Georgetown, ONMarch 9, 2016
Pros: 50% off, great staff, great benefits
Cons: Low pay
McDonald's was my first job, I started in high school and as a part time staff you could basically choose your hours, as long as you knew how to convince people to switch your shifts. In order to advance you really had to make yourself stand out from the pack, which could prove difficult, or you could just take matters into your own hands which is exactly what I did. Made myself versatile and a leader and they rewarded me. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, everything will fall into place. Teaches you a great work ethic and how to deal with people.
Work is easy, but fast-paced and usually disorganized.
Crew Member (Current Employee), Surrey, BCDecember 10, 2015
Pros: Relatively easy job and good to have on your resume; Good to have as a second side job.
Cons: A 24-hour restaurant means you can be scheduled graveyard shifts, customers can be really rude, management isn't great.
There are many positions available at McDonald's, I was on the Front Counter taking orders or running. The training is pretty horrible, pretty much just read over a bunch of stuff and they throw you out on the floor (usually during rush's). It's gotten better now, but that's what they did when I started. I was supposed to of received my Platinum Card (50% off all McDonald's food across Canada) when I started, one of the only benefits of working there and I still haven't received it. Even after mentioning it dozens of time, they always make excuses. Most of the "managers" can't solve anything.
Fun & Educating Food Industry Service
Crew Member (Former Employee), Orangeville, ONDecember 26, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits & Management Team
Cons: Short Breaks
Restock & communicate with coworkers (machinery, cleaning, garbage run, inspection)
Greet customers, take order, ensure cleanliness, efficiency and quick service
Clean when you can, preferably as you go
Learn how to be assertive and proactive in any given situation
Hardest part of the job is when communication fails and important knowledge is left out at shift change or opening.
Most enjoyable part is being able to be yourself, be happy, calm, and be judgement free. It is a huge sense of self peace.
Terrible Experience
Full time (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJanuary 2, 2016
Every day was extremely stressful. From difficult costumers, to horrible management and problem solving. Managers make their own rules instead of following store rules, which often lead costumers and employees with unfair solutions. Few managers actually have raised their voice, one in particular almost physically attacking a few of our employees. It took them 5 months to change my schedule availability and had to submit new ones multiple times. Only one or two managers willing to help or actually get things done but still not perfect. Issues never got resolved, got pushed off. A lot of favouritism and unprofessional and unfair behaviour towards the employees and others. If you don't mind being in a dramatic high school environment, this place will definitely provide it all for you. Especially having no time to yourself. Schedules are not flexible and expect you to work odd hours and nearly every day, including weekends and over night so during your time off you are basically sleeping all day and have no time for life outside. Keep in mind it is hard place to progress in/ get a promotion, it is all based off favouritism. Also gained no benefits , ripped me off.
provides a flexible schedule for students
Crew Trainer (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 15, 2016
Pros: Free food, flexible schedule, late hours
Cons: minimum wage, hard work
McDonald's as a corporation provides excellent scheduling flexibility which is a plus especially for a student in university or college. Advancement or working one's way up is not what many try to do since the benefits outweigh the costs. There will always be a job at McDonald's which is why job security is somewhat high but when your getting minimum wage, there isn't much to expect from working here.
expect to work for your money
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Port Elgin, ONJanuary 24, 2016
Pros: free food, good benefits, secure job
Cons: long hours all over the place and high turn over
15 years as a salaried manager you learn to do every aspect of the job . open to close not to forget overnight and month end. Lots of hard working friendly co-workers. Fun conventions. Hardest part of the job is doing all the shifts in the same week, open ,day ,close, day off, and open again.It ruins your sleeping. co-workers and customers are the best part of the job.
Flexible schedule, but poor pay and hours
cashier (Former Employee), QuebecJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Flexible schedule, 50% off discount, group trips, fun co-workers
Cons: Poor salary, not enough hours, management tries to cheat you out of money/overtime pay
Worked here while I was in school, so the flexible hours were important, and was pretty much the only reason I stayed. You were lucky if you got over 25 hours a week, but if you did do overtime they'd try to get out of paying it. I liked most of my co-workers, and we often covered each other's shifts. I wouldn't go back, but it was okay while I was in school.
Stressful but doable and enjoyable.
Overnight Crew Member (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Free food for overnight crew members.
Cons: Very demanding.
Facts: stressful, fast paced, very demanding and salary doesn't justify what you do over there. And that's why a lot of people quit working at Mcdonald's. But on the other hand, you find nice and funny people who would release some of the stress in the workplace. For me I find it kind of very demanding but doable. Because I really enjoy working with my overnight co-workers and laugh with them, but by the time I'm home my feet would be sore like h*ll.
Good first job to have
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 2, 2016
Pros: employee of the month benefits
Cons: minimum wage pay
I learned how to work as a team and work quickly but efficiently. the people are nice, I do not enjoy being yelled at during the day. The hardest part of the job is moving as fast as they expect you to and also making to food look as nice as they want it to look. the most enjoyable is that they are very flexible with hours while you are in school or doing extracurricular activities they will work around your schedule no problem.
good working enviornment, underpaid, work life balance good depending on responsibilities great benefits.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Surrey, BCFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Free food as a manager 50% off as a crew member, Team orientated workplace
Cons: underpaid always asking for more new appreaciative
overall a great place to work has world class training and is able to provide new employees with great benefits.

The constant shifting hours of a manager can be hard to bear and impossible to have a steady sleep cycle, money is not worth the hard fast paced work that is put in everyday.
not a good idea
general labourer (Former Employee), Fort Erie, ONMarch 21, 2016
Pros: decent staff, decent hours
Cons: low pay, no benefits
not a bad place to work, decent staff and somewhat decent managers, down side %90 of the employee's who work there don't really care about their job yet get promotions and rewards while the %10 that do and try their best to keep things going are usually the ones to that don't get recognized as good workers.
Productive and fast paced working enviroment at Mc Donalds
Crew Member/Cashier (Current Employee), North York, ONNovember 15, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours and half price on food
Cons: No benefits for part time and mimimum wage pay
Overall working for Mc Donalds is not easy. Many assume that the job doesn't require much but it requires a lot especially paitence, accuracy and skills. I typical day at work I deal with about 100-200 customers depending on how long my shift is. You must be able to keep a positive attitude, be friendly, multitask, be attentive, clean all at a fast pace. You learn to have good time meeting new people, making customers happy while building yourself and skills. Management and co-workers are cool because you build personal relationships withn people who also help your grow as a person while contributing to the resturant working as a team to perform and complete task successfully. The hardest part of the job is dealing with so much on a daily basis and not gaining much reward for your hard work based on your pay and benefits as a part time worker. The most enjoyable part is building friendship on the job and presenting good service for customers daily.