McDonald's

41.6K reviews

McDonald's Employee Reviews

Found 2,576 reviews matching the search
Learned essential skills (responsibility, initiative, etc.) but they played favourites to a ridiculous extent
Crew (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CanadaMay 17, 2014
I've worked at McDonald's for over a year now, I have worked all over the front but never the back. In the front I have been a runner (brings food to customer), cashier and a person on drinks. The tasks themselves weren't complicated, cashier is simple to learn and I personally got good at it fast.But customers have no respect for you, they treat you like you're not a human being. It can be very frustrating when they speak to you as if you can't speak English, when I clearly can. It becomes very frustrating. As soon as you become a McDs employee people lose respect for you and forget that you are a human being. Drinks is easy as well but when it gets busy and you don't have enough staff- you're in trouble. Especially during dollar drink days and promotions. Running is quite easy, but when the back team is blocked up, the food doesn't come to you so you can't run it so the customers yell at you making your job harder and slower.

I did learn a lot about responsibility, initiative and team work. I'm always on time and prepared for work, and I learned the importance of being on time and prepared for not only work but day to day activities.

I've been through 4 store managers now, all except one have been nice. The other managers that help run the store are all nice but they play favourites with their friends and/or family members. The majority of the employees at my store are a certain race, and they speak in their own language and only help each other and it can be awkward and frustrating. If you're on a shift with only those people and they only speak in their language and your
  more... standing there while they're laughing at something you don't understand- it isn't that great. Because I don't have a very close relationship with any of the managers I'm always left doing the things no one else wants to do, (garbages, cleaning, working on cash). And the main reason is because of my race.. which is AWFUL. I have proved myself time after time that I am fast and efficient at what I do, but they still put me on the bad jobs.

I did make a lot of friends, I love a lot of my co-workers but they never put us in shifts together.

The hardest part of my job is the customers, most of them are beyond rude which makes your job very hard. On top of the the favouritism is crazy...

The only real pro I can think of is flexible hours.

I get 50% of most food, but my new manager is saying no to 50% off things that aren't extra value meals (big mac, quarter pounder, filet o fish etc). I'm really tired of this job but atm there is no where else to work except retail (which has no hours) and other fast food restaurants. I can't wait until my job at McDonalds is over, every shift I have I want to cry.
Pros
50% of discount, some good co-workers, flexible hours
Cons
favouritism, bad co-workers, no appreciation, sometimes you have awful hours, rude customers, ugly uniform, racism, bugs, low pay
Great place to be, respectable and fun. we were like one big family.
Team member/maintenance (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMarch 14, 2013
I worked night shift (10-6/11-7) And really enjoyed the lighter side of chaos. First I was re-trained in the food production to get my speed and skills back, then was trained on the tills and drive thru a few weeks later. Learned that a clean store is a happy store. Through the process of a year as a team member I stepped up to the plate and learned some of the machine maintenance. I was was taught the ropes and when the main maintenance person retired I had aquired all the skills needed to become the maintenance person myself. Even as this new tital and job change took place I was still a back up crew for when crazy rushes would happen.

My typical night was never the same. Mainly I'd come to work, start doing dishes, clean the dishwasher. take the vents out and sweep the back room. I would then start on morning food prep (as the inside store was still open - I couldnt doing any actual chemical cleaning yet). Once the inside closed, I'd clean the playplace and help clean the dining room. Then get started on the vats and shut down one grill. Normally I could get all the vats and both grills cleaned and operational in 2 hours. Sometimes it could take up to 4 depending on the night and how busy or short staffed it was. The rest of the team would help me out if they could with sweeping and mopping on those days. Then all the garbage was taken out at first light and an entire lot check - trash pick up was done. Everything was double checked to make sure it was breakfast ready and clean. Then if there was still time left in my shift I'd take off my cleaning apron and assist the morning
  more... team with back up support.

co-workers: I got along with most of the team (there were on 5, sometimes less) We'd joke around and laugh most the night, except in the hour or two when sometimes the police had to be called. (drunk drivers or ballergerant people). For the most part we were family, always looking out for one another and stepping in when someone needed assistance.

Hardest part: pulling out the 300 lb grill once a month to deep clean under it and around it. As well as hauling a heavy, leaking, huge garbage bag up 14 stairs and thrying to heave it into the big bin. Also, during the occasional rift with calling the police due to an offensive or dangerous person.

Best part: coming to work knowing that my night is going to be an adventure every single day.
Pros
built great friendships and free meals
Cons
miss communications between management, supervisors and staff.
Fast paced environment, always working, very productive, great people to work with; managers and coworkers
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 6, 2015
I have been working at McDonald's for a little over two years now and must I say, it has been a great experience. At times it will be hard here and there but overall, I am very proud to say that my first job is at McDonald's. A typical day at work would be making sure that all stations are clean and presentable, serving guests, taking order, preparing the food, and make sure that the store is running smoothly. As a Crew Trainer at McDonald's, one of the key roles that I deliver would be being a second pair of eyes to the manager working on the floor. For example, I would be assigned to watch Drive Thru. There are typically 3 crew members working Drive Thru and my job would be taking orders with a headset on while assembling the orders, and making sure that if there are any problems, I would be able to deal with it. McDonald's has taught me a lot about interacting with customers, being organized, thinking ahead, and making sure that goals are met at the end of the day. The skills I have developed during my time here at McDonald's will really benefit me not only a a person but also for future endeavours. One of the things that I really like about working at McDonald's is the management. Not only does they really care about the business and company itself but they also treat the crew like family. The management makes sure that everyone is happy and comfortable. They always work their hardest to make sure that everyone is satisfied including our guests. For these past two years that I've been working at McDonald's, I've met a lot of people. Not only have I developed friendships  more... with my coworkers but also some of our regular customers. I believe that being able to interact and bond with customers and coworkers is one of the most important things on the job. On a very busy day, the hardest part of the job would be making sure that we do not fall apart as a team. There are at least 10-15 people working on a very busy day, and sometimes that isn't enough. When it's very busy, it is seldom hard to keep up with all the orders and angry customers. But as a team, we always make sure that our guests are satisfied because that is most important. With the experience that I have obtained and learned from working at McDonald's, I am thrilled for more exciting opportunities!  less
Pros
meet a lot of people, flexible hours, great management, 50% off meals
Cons
it can be very tiring on a busy day
Fun, productive workplace, and amazing staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCApril 27, 2013
Working at McDonald's has been quite interesting. I started off while the training wage was still $6.75, which was very difficult. Although I worked many hours, and was able to complete my 500 hours within 4 months, it felt as if I was working for free. The graveyard shifts were also not very pleasing, as I was told I would only have to work 1 late night shift, and 1 opening shift each month, that was not the case. It became quite difficult for my mother to drop me off or pick me up after working an unusual shift. Some managers also had a hard time making sure you had the day you booked off free. For example, the worst case was when I went to Mexico in April 2010, and I told my managers I was going to be leaving for 2 weeks. I was told by my manager to book off all the days that I would be away. I questioned this, because at times the book off binder can get quite messy, but I did so anyways. I also went and spoke to the restaurant manager that I would be leaving, along with the manager that was in charge of scheduling. Unfortunately while I was on vacation, my mom at home kept receiving phone calls from McDonald's that I had a shift, as they were getting irritated that I wasn't there. I felt as if managers didn't always listen to the important things that you said to them, like scheduling, and thought that they can still schedule you and make you show up, even if you've booked it off (which has happened to me several times). Although some experiences at McDonalds weren't pleasing, there were some pros. The amazing staff I worked with, working at McDonalds was always fun, due  more... to the fact that all your co-workers were around the same age as you. It was a fast paced environment and it was very fun and exciting at times, along with very tiring and hard. Working at McDonalds taught me many beneficial skills that I will definitely keep with me throughout my entire life. My customer service skills have become phenomenal, and after working in such a busy McDonalds restaurant, I strongly believe I can take on any job without a problem.  less
Pros
flexible hours, fun workplace, amazing staff, learn amazing skills
Cons
graveyard shifts, doing lot check between 3:00-5:00 am (scarry, as i'm a girl), when managers don't schedule enough people during a late night, or opening shift, and you are stuck in drivethru all alone (taking oders, taking cash in deep end, bagging the food, and presenting)
A fun place to be, easy to make friends and build relationships while keeping busy. There is always something to be done which helps shifts pass fast.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 30, 2015
Working at McDonald's has been an awesome experience for me, thus far. When I was working part time I found it more stressful because of the energy part-time staff brings but having worked full-time for the last 8 months has allowed me to develop a better understanding of what needs to be done on each shift. I've learned how important it is to make sure that a customer has a good experience, I've learned a lot about talking to people and getting to know not only my coworkers but the customers as well. I've also learned a lot about working in the kitchen and how every station effects the other in some way.

Management has gone through some big changes during the duration of my employment, however, the majority of the management team has shown me respect and some even friendship. They know what needs to be done, how to get people to do it and they trust their staff to get things done.

Many of my coworkers work hard to get jobs done and often take on extra tasks if necessary. They're friendly even outside of the workplace and show respect to those higher up than themselves and are always willing to help each other out. In all honesty, McDonald's is a great place to make friends in the workplace.

The hardest part of the job is probably keeping it professional. Not in a bad way, its just that everyone becomes friends and gets really close so keeping those relationships out of the workplace can be difficult. But as it is the hardest part, it is also the best.

From an employee standpoint, sometimes the expectations are a little over the top for certain shifts where staff
  more... is lacking as well as making sure everyone holds the same standard for neatness in the stock room.

I personally enjoy seeing the same customers every day. They know me and are comfortable making jokes or asking how I'm doing. In an environment such as this you meet some very amazing people and it helps expand comfort zones by forcing wallflowers out of theirs.
Pros
Half price Canada wide, flexible shifts which are easy to trade, Night Shift: free meal, extra $1.
Cons
Must be willing to work one weekend night shift a month as a part time employee
Very good place to work overall although stressful when busy.
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONAugust 8, 2015
Each day I typically served customers through the drive thru or on counter, although I am also trained in kitchen and am placed in kitchen one shift a week. I am a crew trainer and have been for two years now, meaning I train new crew the priorities, expectations, and policies. I also coach the other crew on those as well. The management team does a very good job at keeping things running efficiently and making sure the crew are working together to achieve goals such as; food is always fresh, customers need to be greeted and served within a certain amount of time, that drive thru needs to make sure they are pulling cars up to Pick Up 3 (which happens when that car is waiting longer than the car behind it), although they yell at everyone and put them down when they get stressed and openly yell at the crew in front of the customers to feel like the bigger person and to show "authority" which is wrong. The crew works together very well although when things get hectic and we start falling behind due to the mass amount of customers or long orders, everyone starts snapping at each other and yelling and the work environment becomes very hostile for that certain period of time. My co-workers and I get along very well, we all have created a system where each of us meets the expectations of the others. The hardest part of the job is when it is the busy hour and we get overwhelmed with customers to the point where we are struggling to keep up. Customers are getting irritated to wait, we are getting irritated that we have to wait, and the managers are getting irritated that all of this  more... is happening in general and it reflects on them. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with all of the crew and getting to know the regular customers and creating that bond with them. I went camping recently and when I got back to work all of the regular customers asked me how my camping trip was even though I never told them I was leaving, which was nice because that means they cared enough about me to ask other employees where I was. It is moments like that, that make working there well worth it.  less
Pros
Half price Mcdonald's and regular customers.
Cons
Very busy hours.
Fun enviroment with lots of training to partake in
Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ONMay 3, 2013
A typical day at work for me in my managerial position would include counting the safe as I arrive, learning about the staff that are going to be on the floor for the duration of my shift along with the staff members who have not arrived for their shift. With the absence of a staff member my task would also include finding a replacment for their position or rearraging the staffing positions to compinsate for the missing member. Throughout the whole shift I would be responsible for maintining the policies and procedures that the resutaurant runs by as well as training and encouraging the staff I am working with. However the most important part of my shift was to gauruntee that the customers were given what they had orderd and served in a way that lives up to and beyond the standards put in place for us as McDonalds employees.

While working for McDonalds I have been able to learn alot of life skills and social skills. These skills involve problem solving, managerial training, compromising, working with frustraing customers in a calm and respectable fashion and many more valuable lessons that can become transferable to any furture job.

The co-workers I worked with at McDonalds were fun, energetic, and eager to work as a team to accomplish the task of serving our customers. Some times the goal became lost in the chatter about the weekend plans until the managers reminded the crew members of the task at hand.

The hardest part of my job would have had to be the hours. I am perfectly fine with long hours filled with hard work. However the nights where I would be leaving the resutaurant
  more... at 2am became overly daunting. I was worn out and began to burn out from the lack of day shifts I was given.

The most enjoyable part of my job for me would be working with so many people as I am definately a people person. I also thrived off of the fast paced tasks at hand during the peak hours. Not only that but I also loved how much training I was able to partake in as a part time employee throughout highschool.
Pros
free food as managers, able to have sundays off
Cons
long hours that were unreliable
Probably the Best Time of My Life
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Osoyoos, BCApril 13, 2015
In all the years I've been working, never once have I had such a good time working for the McDonald's in Osoyoos, BC. I made some really awesome friends while working at this job and if I hadn't had to move, I probably would have stayed for a longer period of time. The thing I love the most while working is I get to meet so many people I never would have been able to get to know. McDonald's bases its work environment around the crew, which is very vital to running a successful business, and I couldn't be in more agreement with this mentality.
A typical day at this job included taking and preparing more than 500+ meals in the time of span of 6 hours, and having strong multitasking skills is very key, as well as appropriate communication skills. My key element was in drive-thru and I received an award and acknowledgement for being very efficient in drive-thru, as I learned to create a system to process orders quickly to create less of a drag in our order times. Through this job I learned to enhance my multitasking skills and interpersonal skills, as well as better money handling and order taking skills in a very busy and fast-paced environment. Before my leave, I was being trained in the kitchen for preparation of meals which I wanted to do to be able to help out the kitchen crew if preparation was starting to fall a little behind during a rush.
As mentioned previously, the entire team, including management, was a blast to work with, and while the majority of the team have since gone their own ways, I appreciated and enjoyed working with everyone there. This was probably the
  more... most enjoyable part of the job; the only thing where there was room for improvement is better training on communicating with other crew members to better handle rushes and high volume of orders.
I had a wonderful time working for this company.
Pros
Free lunches if having to cover shifts, proper acknowledgement of a job well done, plenty of tasks to be completed during quiet times.
Cons
I have no cons to list.
Fast paced and often stressful environment
CSR (Current Employee) –  MuskokaMay 2, 2014
- Most shifts you are either serving customers or working in the production team, often with a list of tasks to be completed before your shift is over
- I learned very quickly how to work in a very fast paced and very busy environment
- Most of the management are fantastic. Some that have been there for 20+ years and are amazing to work with. Some that have been there for 20+ years and are miserable and hard to work with.
- 90% of the staff is students, which makes it a great environment to work in as a student/part time after school and on weekends. The full time/day staff have usually been there for most of their life and are also miserable and difficult to work with.
- The hardest part of the job is working 8-10 hour shifts with unpaid breaks, and often times MISSED breaks. And you have to pay for your food at 50% off while managers get all food free. You also have to have a very wide open availability or they do not give you any shifts you ask for. Also, working in customer service at a fast food job is difficult if you don't have the best people skills. Some customers are nasty, but a lot of my coworkers have such great people skills they can handle it and move on. Others are terrible and let it ruin their entire day. Work there if you have amazing people skills (customer service) or if you would like to join the production team, which is usually easier if you don't like to interact with customers.
- The most enjoyable part is meeting new people through customers or co-workers. Discounts on food. Going on crew trips. And usually having enough staff to help you cover a shift
  more... if you can't make it in.
Overall, its a fast paced busy environment, and if you don't like those types of settings, it isn't right for you. If you like that, then it's a great place to work for, it can be stressful at times, but it is good work experience, especially for students.
Pros
discounts, incentives, easy advancements
Cons
missed breaks, not enough full time hours, being on-call 24/7, open everyday except for christmas.
McDonald's teaches employees important skills needed for the future!
Crew Trainer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 14, 2014
Though working at McDonald's may not seem like the most enjoyable job in the world, I am grateful for my time at McDonald's and all of the people I was able to work with. As one of my first real, part-time jobs, I grew as an employee and an overall individual. My managers always pushed me to improve and showed me what I was capable of in the workplace. A typical day at work at McDonald's includes serving customers, ensuring stock levels are complete, stations are regularly cleaned, ensuring customers are happy with our service, and working as a team to get everything done.

The most enjoyable part of this job was working with my co-workers and getting to know the customers. I made many relationships with my co-workers and always enjoyed working with them! They made working at McDonald's fun. We all became a family and team, working together to make sure that our restaurant succeeded. The hardest part would be when it would be very busy and we were understaffed or had new people on the floor. Other than that, I would say working at McDonald's is a very good experience for everyone. It teaches you how to work with other people, how to provide excellent customer service, and how to multitask well.

The managers always knew how to handle the things that employees may not be completely sure of. As for my managers, I always enjoyed having them there. They were all hardworking, fun, fair, and caring. The employees were always taken care of by all of the managers at the store.

I learned many transferable skills such as how to provide excellent customer service, to be a strong leader,
  more... how to manage any problems, how to run a business, and how to work with co-workers of varying skills.  less
Pros
good team, recognition for hard work, free food/discounted food, fun managers, strong skills learned
Cons
tiring, long hours, rude customers (sometimes)
A year at McDonald's was time well spent in my personal and work place related development.
Attained Crew Trainer (Former Employee) –  Woodside SquareJuly 8, 2014
A typical day at work whether I was working window or drive-thru I always asked the manager on floor what they would like me to do. I in turn was assigned to count a til, relieve someone taking orders in drive-thru, or run food/make drinks. Through the course of my shift I would sweep and mop, stock up condiments, take countless orders, handle money and re-count my til at the end of my shift.

What I learned most at McDonald's was working in a fast-paced environment, using a screen to take orders, and having the responsibility of handling money. I always had to keep a smile on my face and it was not hard because I am usually a happy person, but even with picky and tough customers I never got a complaint. Over the course of the year that I worked at McDonald's I learned how patient I could be and positive I had to stay in order for everyone else to be consumed by the chaos. The location I worked at was open 24/7, 365 days a year and having to work and the hardest part was doing being scheduled an 8 hour shift where there would be hours in between that I would be alone in drive-thru. This entailed that I would have to take orders, money, run the food and make drinks in an expected time of 1 minute.

The most enjoyable part of the job I would say is similar to any other experience, it would have to be the people I worked with that got me through each shift. Also interacting with different customers and getting a satisfying feeling of helping a customer with a language barrier. Getting complements by customers and managers and overall being noticed for the work I did was always
  more... gratifying. Even if just a fellow employee gave me a nod of approval, it would make my day. A shift at McDonald's never went by quickly, however the little things made it worth it.  less
Pros
half price meals
Cons
long hours standing
Stressful, poor time management and they did not treat me very well
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCSeptember 2, 2014
First of all, I was referred by my best friend and she works at the same McDonalds location as well. In the beginning before I got hired, I was working at Starbucks in Target. My used to be restaurant manager wanted me to quit Starbucks and he promised he will give me 40hours/week like my best friend. He broke his promise. He never give me 40hrs every week. I always get 25 hours below.

Second, when I wasn't feeling good / I'm sick, they won't be able to send me home and let me work. One time, beginning summer, I vomit three time because of heat, I told to my manager I wasn't feeling good and I vomit, he didn't let me go home because we didn't have much people for evening shift and he couldn't find someone who can cover my shift. He told me I was just having a "Heat Stroke" because our Air conditioned was broken. So I suffer from 1pm - 9pm.

Third, Aug 14,2014 I didn't get my 30 minutes, I started at 9am, my manager told me I could get my break at 11 or 12 (we always get our break after 2-2.5 hours). Around 12pm, I started vomit blood and it was horrible! I told my manager I wasn't feeling good and told her I vomit blood, but it seemed like she didn't care about me and she told me its mystery shop time so she couldn't send me home. I vomit blood 3 times, still she didn't let me go home. So I suffered. At 3:30 pm, my shift manager started and let me go on my break because I'm off at 4:30. I waited 6.5 hours just to get my break and I was sick that time too. Then after my shift I went straight to the hospital and found out I have ulcer, heat and too much stress. After my surgery,
  more... my doctor recommended me to quit my job and wanted me not to go back at my workplace anymore. Also he gave an advice that I should prioritize my health than working at mcdonalds because managers don't even care about my health. So I quit mcdonalds.  less
Pros
free food when you did accomplishments
Cons
short hours
Productive, enjoyable and upbeat workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 17, 2014
A typical work day at McDonalds consisted of serving and interacting with various different customers of all ages, taking orders, and managing different tasks and responsibilities. I was either placed on the till where I had to process multiple orders, as a runner where I had to serve the correct orders to the correct customers, or as a fry/lobby worker where I had to make fries or clean the lobby.

Through my experience at McDonalds, I developed strong customer service and communication skills through interacting with a variety of different customers, as well as strong team work abilities since it was such a team based environment. Additionally, I learned how to effectively multi-task and work well under pressure, because it was such a fast paced, demanding environment.

My management was very kind, understanding, and helpful. they were always willing to answer your questions and help out whenever you needed it, and they maintained all of their tasks and duties in a responsible manner. My co-workers were also excellent and extremely helpful, and always worked with me in order to get tasks done in a responsible and efficient manner.

The hardest part of the job was how intensely busy it would get at times since it was such a high traffic location with a large play place, however by effectively working with my team members, we were always able to overcome any obstacles or barriers that got in our way.

The most enjoyable part or my job was being able to interact with a variety or different customers and personalities, and knowing that because of you the customers left the restaurant
  more... with a smile on their face.  less
Pros
interacting with different customers and making people happy
Cons
very high traffic location, however obstacles were always overcome with my team members
Every shift I become a better worker
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 3, 2015
At McDonald's, you will come across every customer possible out there: customers who try and scam you for free food, who complain about anything and everything just to make you feel bad, customers who will have conversations with you, very polite and nice customers who make you feel good about yourself, customers who scream at you for no reason and many more. How to handle an angry customer is the tricky part because what you say and how you handle it affects how you play your role, and whether or not you can hope for repeat business. Everyday at work I encounter angry and happy costumers, and I learn each day how to handle each situation differently, and how to be respectful to the customer. My management team helps me fulfill my Crew Trainer position and the McDonald's Brand Promise (crew satisfaction and quality, service, cleanliness and value). Each day they guide me through the shift to make sure it runs smoothly, and any bumps along the way are fixed and is something to learn from. The hardest part of the job is knowing how to play your role in a busy breakfast, lunch, or dinner rush. When things aren't going smoothly with fast service, it is hard to play your role properly (cleaning, stocking, giving updates, fast service etc.) which may frustrate some people, but it is always important to remember to make the most of what you have, and to fulfill your role the most effectively to ensure happy customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with such amazing staff. I can honestly say I have made so many new friends at McDonald's, and the crew I work with is what  more... makes each shift so enjoyable. I walk in to work excited to see who I work with and how I can make sure each shift runs well.  less
Pros
free food, amazing staff, good environment
Cons
long hours, angry customers
Fun Place to Start Off
Manager (Former Employee) –  Square OneFebruary 21, 2013
McDonald is a great place to start of your job career as a teenager. It teaches you so many skills that are beneficial later on in life when you get into other jobs. McDonalds has taught me a lot and I have gained a lot of experience with a variety of things here. I have worked at McDonalds for 2 years and 6 months. I have 2 years of management skills. As a manager at McDonald, I was responsible for my crew members. I made sure they all completed their tasks to the best of their ability and satisfied customers with their great customer service skills. I made sure crew members got their breaks on time and had a good shift. I handled customer complaints in the best manner possible and made sure they left the restaurant satisfied. As a manager, I gave customers the best quality food by doing food safety before serving the fried and grilled products. Also, I counted tills and took responsibility of the safe on my shift making sure there was the right amount of cash in the tills and safe. Working at McDonalds has taught me how to communicate with different people and how to handle different conflicts. I have learned how to work in a fast pace environment and keep up in the rush hours. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers but I overcame that by being patient and listening to them. This helped me a lot because I was able to find the reason for their anger and try to fix the problem to the best of my ability. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with crew. The crew of McDonald is always great, filled with joy and energy! It motivates you to work hard  more... and keep going. McDonald is a great place to work at and I am glad I was able to start my experience there.  less
Pros
free food, flexible hours, great staff
Cons
rush hours, angry customers, constant changes
Chaotic mess that usually ends in stressed out employees.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 8, 2014
A typical day at work starts out by throwing you in earlier than you should be starting to help out with the sudden rush that was unprepared for.
Over time I've learned to try and minimize the effect of being unprepared for rushed by honing the basic skills taught during training and teach others the same path. This allows others to help further minimize the effects of the chaos and commotion brought from being unprepared.
Management is usually a mess as well as they are also thrown into the chaotic days of endless people, whether it be problematic customers or employees calling in sick, their days have no end as there is always and excess of work for the amount of workers available.
Hardest part of the job would by far be doing a job that requires more than one person most of the time. For example, single-booth which requires the person to take customer orders, handle payments AND assemble orders all through the drive-thru lane which is usually a two person job at the least.
The most enjoyable part is being able to work with many people that you get to know really well and work well with over time. A second enjoyable part of the job is when there are actually people part of management that are actually there to assist or defend you with problems that arise through out the day. These moments are rare and few in between but when they happen they are much appreciated to raise morale and cohesion of an effective working crew.
Pros
50% off food, 100% off food on certain occasions, somewhat flexible and reliable schedules, teaches good core skills for customer services and speaking skills
Cons
stressful, more work than pay is worth, workload is usually more than staff can handle, poor management teams are common
Welcome to McDonald's, how can I help you?
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 2, 2015
It's everything you expect from food service. Hwever, it is a good job to start money management, and work on your customer service skills. Also, flexible hours during high school is not bad either.

A typical day at work includes:
- getting into uniform
- punching in/out
- serving customers
- ensuring quality in their food and hospitality
- ensuring cleanliness in the restaurant and the work areas

Management was very questionable. There are managers that are excellent at their jobs and some managers that my co-workers and I questioned their credibility and experience as well as their work manner and their qualifications to be a manager. Though regardless, management always tried to accommodate us and our schedules so that we could both work and carry out our personal duties as well.

Working at any job can be more for the co-workers than the job. Co-workers at McDonald's for example, become your family and they easily know parts of your life that others simply do not. They become invested into your life and some long lasting friendships are born. However, there is a generation gap in that many younger workers do not talk to the older employees. But in spite of this, there are many cross generation friendships that are very fruitful there as well.

The hardest part of this job was learning to satisfy management. There are so many issues regarding attention to detail and even though the major cleaning tasks were done, there was always something else to be done in the event headquarters would come and inspect the workplace for cleanliness.

The most enjoyable
  more... part of the job was solving problems regarding the customer. If they are happy, most of the time, you become happy as well.  less
Fast Paced, fun, and a good first job for teens or adults
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJanuary 4, 2013
It's generally the same thing each day, you come in, get some rushes, clean in between, make sure you have things prepped for the next crew to come on, then go home. But things can still take you by surprise, so be prepared for an early or sudden rush sometimes. It's almost like school, but you get paid to do it. Your co-workers are like your friends, some of the managers as well, and sometimes the 'teacher' or head of the store comes in for a bit and helps out or does other stuff. Some managers tend to get full of themselves, especially if they're younger, because they think that since they're one of the youngest managers they can do whatever they want because they're better than other people. There isn't really any hardest part of the job, every position has it's weak points. But if I had to pick, I would say brower where you unload product from the truck. I've never done one, but for the guys who are scheduled for it, their shift is over whenever they finish, so it could take three hours or six depending on how much is on the truck, how fast they are, and how many of them are scheduled for it. Some of my friends actually hurt themselves doing it, not badly, but they were sore for weeks after. The most enjoyable part of the job would be in between work like cleaning or breaks where you can just go at whatever pace you want and can talk to friends and such. All in all, it's a great place to work if you're low on cash or want something to build up some savings for.
Pros
50% off meals, sometimes free, shcedule around your life, generally gives you days you book off, tries to help out if you need more shifts by putting you on-call list
Cons
fast paced, can be stressful, drunk customers may fight, injuries can occur if not careful
Working in the ghetto when your not ghetto.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Downsview, ONAugust 19, 2015
_ Typical day at work would be clocking in, asking the manager where she needs me, I would either be on till taking orders, or running the orders on the screen. At times if their are to many people in the store working it gets hectic with everyone running around.

The people who go and order are always never listening to their orders which forces to have to put their orders elsewhere, then they come back from wherever they ran off to and require a new batch of their same order so we have to promo it so the kitchen knows. I am also required to check the lobby; clean tables, chairs, remove garbage and check Restrooms. Sweeping and mopping is also required of me.

I do not like talking badly about the management, but to say what I must in a positive manner, their are a few that need some more training in order to run and manage a group of people and how the store runs, some of them are unprofessional, it has to do with their age and maturity to handle stress but also experience wise they are not prepared.

Co-workers I recall someone robbed me on the first day I started they went into my bag and stole money from me. Some of them are full of drama and love to create conflict in the workplace. Things are looking better now a lot of them left the store and things are calmer then when I started.

The hardest part about my job is, dealing with the store being short staffed at times and having to struggle to make sure everyone leaves satisfied

I enjoy working to serve customers and put a smile on their face, I really do appreciate when I can make someone's day brighter.
Pros
Discount Meals, Flexible Schedule and Time and half on holidays
Cons
Having to deal with customers with attitude and rudeness
Fun work place and very supporting management team
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 15, 2013
Having worked at McDonald's for almost 4 years now, it is the crew and management team that has really kept me from quitting. Even through troubles that I have encountered during my shifts with the customers, managers guide you through without being too harsh or taking the situation too lightly either. Working here allows the employees to learn that problems we face are not the end of the world, but we do need to learn to make these mistakes less often next time. At McDonald's, the most important thing I have learned is patience and always facing problems with a positive attitude. Being in the food industry, we constantly encounter customers that may not be pleased with our performance, facing anger with more anger obviously does not solve the problem. However, speaking calmly and nicely to the customer may often allow them to calm down as well. Moving on, the scheduling of the managers are amazing, although there are many employees that work at this restaurant, managers always find a way to please the schedules of all the workers. The most enjoyable part of the job would be being able to work with people that bring a fun environment. This makes working a full 8 hour shift much more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job I would say would be meeting the time goals of each shift. More often than not, the reason we may sometimes not meet our time goal is because we cannot rush customers into finishing their order; hence, employees have to compensate this misused time by hurrying up with the preparation of the order and often, this can be a tough thing when there are many orders  more... coming in at once.  less
Pros
enjoyable work environment
Cons
missed breaks