McDonald's Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,775 reviews matching the search
Productive place with hardworking people
Crew Member (Kitchen Staff) (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of preparing and cooking meals throughout the shift. I would clean and perform sanitary duties on the go, emphasizing the importance of keeping my workplace clean. I learned a lot from here, and developed lots of skills. Learned to work well under pressure and work well with a team. The managers were very nice, but they made sure that all our work was done effectively, correctly, and quickly. The co-workers were respectful and helpful, and always made sure to help out if their co-workers fell behind or made a mistake. The hardest part of the job is working during lunch, where it gets very busy. During this busy time, the food still has to be made quickly and effectively. The most enjoyable part of the job is receiving praise from co-workers, managers, and customers for my work.
Great place to learn
Manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 4, 2016
A day at McDonald's would be the same. Taking orders and serving customers, clean up and stock up, cover for breaks and repeat. As a manager I would position crew members, delegate tasks and oversee all the above activities.

I learned the importance of communication. In order for a steady work flow, all members of the team must be communicating with each other, as well as with the customers, to ensure order accuracy and to deliver it in a time-efficient manner.

The hardest part of the job would be the scheduling. We would be constantly understaffed and would have to work twice as hard to keep the restaurant running.

The best part of the job would be the knowledge I gained there. I was able to advance positions and create a foundation to build my future career on.
Pros
Flexible hours, great co-workers
Cons
Understaffed, overworked, not enough compensation
Lots of Opportunity and Benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 9, 2016
McDonald's is a very good place to work. It offers a lot of opportunity and benefits to its employees. There is room for advancement, it teaches you people skills, and how to handle working in stressful situations. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with your co-workers, usually it is a lot of fun and you end up becoming like a family. The hardest part is having to deal with angry customers. Management is usually good and really understanding. Overall McDonald's is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Can be stressful.
Good place for beginners
Crew Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
McDonalds was on okay place to work, I worked at better places but I wasn't the worse place. The hours were very flexible, so it was able to accommodate to my school.
However the managers did sometimes schedule people outside of their availability and when it was brought to their attention, it wasn't taken seriously and sometimes did nothing to help.
Of course this is only some managers and only the one McDonalds.
Pros
Raise every year depending on your performance
Cons
Sometimes management don't listen to the crew
Worked with some of my closest friends, great benefits, room to grow
Swing Manager (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ONMarch 9, 2016
McDonald's was my first job, I started in high school and as a part time staff you could basically choose your hours, as long as you knew how to convince people to switch your shifts. In order to advance you really had to make yourself stand out from the pack, which could prove difficult, or you could just take matters into your own hands which is exactly what I did. Made myself versatile and a leader and they rewarded me. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, everything will fall into place. Teaches you a great work ethic and how to deal with people.
Pros
50% off, great staff, great benefits
Cons
Low pay
Work is easy, but fast-paced and usually disorganized.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 10, 2015
There are many positions available at McDonald's, I was on the Front Counter taking orders or running. The training is pretty horrible, pretty much just read over a bunch of stuff and they throw you out on the floor (usually during rush's). It's gotten better now, but that's what they did when I started. I was supposed to of received my Platinum Card (50% off all McDonald's food across Canada) when I started, one of the only benefits of working there and I still haven't received it. Even after mentioning it dozens of time, they always make excuses. Most of the "managers" can't solve anything.
Pros
Relatively easy job and good to have on your resume; Good to have as a second side job.
Cons
A 24-hour restaurant means you can be scheduled graveyard shifts, customers can be really rude, management isn't great.
Terrible Experience
Full time (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJanuary 2, 2016
Every day was extremely stressful. From difficult costumers, to horrible management and problem solving. Managers make their own rules instead of following store rules, which often lead costumers and employees with unfair solutions. Few managers actually have raised their voice, one in particular almost physically attacking a few of our employees. It took them 5 months to change my schedule availability and had to submit new ones multiple times. Only one or two managers willing to help or actually get things done but still not perfect. Issues never got resolved, got pushed off. A lot of favouritism and unprofessional and unfair behaviour towards the employees and others. If you don't mind being in a dramatic high school environment, this place will definitely provide it all for you. Especially having no time to yourself. Schedules are not flexible and expect you to work odd hours and nearly every day, including weekends and over night so during your time off you are basically sleeping all day and have no time for life outside. Keep in mind it is hard place to progress in/ get a promotion, it is all based off favouritism. Also gained no benefits , ripped me off.
Fun & Educating Food Industry Service
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONDecember 26, 2015
Restock & communicate with coworkers (machinery, cleaning, garbage run, inspection)
Greet customers, take order, ensure cleanliness, efficiency and quick service
Clean when you can, preferably as you go
Learn how to be assertive and proactive in any given situation
Hardest part of the job is when communication fails and important knowledge is left out at shift change or opening.
Most enjoyable part is being able to be yourself, be happy, calm, and be judgement free. It is a huge sense of self peace.
Pros
Great Benefits & Management Team
Cons
Short Breaks
expect to work for your money
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Elgin, ONJanuary 24, 2016
15 years as a salaried manager you learn to do every aspect of the job . open to close not to forget overnight and month end. Lots of hard working friendly co-workers. Fun conventions. Hardest part of the job is doing all the shifts in the same week, open ,day ,close, day off, and open again.It ruins your sleeping. co-workers and customers are the best part of the job.
Pros
free food, good benefits, secure job
Cons
long hours all over the place and high turn over
provides a flexible schedule for students
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 15, 2016
McDonald's as a corporation provides excellent scheduling flexibility which is a plus especially for a student in university or college. Advancement or working one's way up is not what many try to do since the benefits outweigh the costs. There will always be a job at McDonald's which is why job security is somewhat high but when your getting minimum wage, there isn't much to expect from working here.
Pros
Free food, flexible schedule, late hours
Cons
minimum wage, hard work
Flexible schedule, but poor pay and hours
cashier (Former Employee) –  QuebecJanuary 13, 2016
Worked here while I was in school, so the flexible hours were important, and was pretty much the only reason I stayed. You were lucky if you got over 25 hours a week, but if you did do overtime they'd try to get out of paying it. I liked most of my co-workers, and we often covered each other's shifts. I wouldn't go back, but it was okay while I was in school.
Pros
Flexible schedule, 50% off discount, group trips, fun co-workers
Cons
Poor salary, not enough hours, management tries to cheat you out of money/overtime pay
Good first job to have
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 2, 2016
I learned how to work as a team and work quickly but efficiently. the people are nice, I do not enjoy being yelled at during the day. The hardest part of the job is moving as fast as they expect you to and also making to food look as nice as they want it to look. the most enjoyable is that they are very flexible with hours while you are in school or doing extracurricular activities they will work around your schedule no problem.