McDonald's Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,752 reviews matching the search
Lots of Opportunity and Benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 9, 2016
McDonald's is a very good place to work. It offers a lot of opportunity and benefits to its employees. There is room for advancement, it teaches you people skills, and how to handle working in stressful situations. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with your co-workers, usually it is a lot of fun and you end up becoming like a family. The hardest part is having to deal with angry customers. Management is usually good and really understanding. Overall McDonald's is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Can be stressful.
Good place for beginners
Crew Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
McDonalds was on okay place to work, I worked at better places but I wasn't the worse place. The hours were very flexible, so it was able to accommodate to my school.
However the managers did sometimes schedule people outside of their availability and when it was brought to their attention, it wasn't taken seriously and sometimes did nothing to help.
Of course this is only some managers and only the one McDonalds.
Pros
Raise every year depending on your performance
Cons
Sometimes management don't listen to the crew
Over-worked and under paid
Overnight Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ONMarch 11, 2016
Many tasks to keep you busy throughout the night so time goes by fast it may be too much for one person to handle however. I rarely leave before 7:30AM although I am scheduled until 7AM and I never receive a break.

This job requires a lot of heavy lifting, working with chemicals, hot oil and grills. I leave very sore, tired and have gotten a lot of scars despite using protection equipment.

Management and co-workers are young which leads to a lot of gossip and complaining. Many student employees do the bare minimum, leaving extra work for full-time staff.

Hours are great Sunday-Thursday, weekends off and work while only drive-thru is open with one manager.

You work HARD for your money with this position.
Pros
Time flies, independent work
Cons
Physically demanding, no breaks, young staff & management = ALOT of drama
Productive place with hardworking people
Crew Member (Kitchen Staff) (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of preparing and cooking meals throughout the shift. I would clean and perform sanitary duties on the go, emphasizing the importance of keeping my workplace clean. I learned a lot from here, and developed lots of skills. Learned to work well under pressure and work well with a team. The managers were very nice, but they made sure that all our work was done effectively, correctly, and quickly. The co-workers were respectful and helpful, and always made sure to help out if their co-workers fell behind or made a mistake. The hardest part of the job is working during lunch, where it gets very busy. During this busy time, the food still has to be made quickly and effectively. The most enjoyable part of the job is receiving praise from co-workers, managers, and customers for my work.
Great place to start out
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2016
my typical day at work is usually busy. I've learned how to multitask in a fast pace environment developed more interpersonal skills. Management can put a little more effort in running the store and scheduling people good hours and working around each other's schedule. My co-workers are friendly and we work great as a team and putting aside our differences. The most hardest part in the job is communicating with each other in a face flow where as everybody's trying to keep up with each other everybody's talking over on another to get the items for the order. the most enjoyable part is meeting new people and building relationships with costumers especially the ones who are regulars. I believe that McDonald's Restaurant has help developed me more as a person to view and see certain things and that's what is exciting to know what other jobs are about and how i'd be able to perform and becoming a more skilled and advanced employee.
Pros
50% discounts on food
Great place to learn
Manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 4, 2016
A day at McDonald's would be the same. Taking orders and serving customers, clean up and stock up, cover for breaks and repeat. As a manager I would position crew members, delegate tasks and oversee all the above activities.

I learned the importance of communication. In order for a steady work flow, all members of the team must be communicating with each other, as well as with the customers, to ensure order accuracy and to deliver it in a time-efficient manner.

The hardest part of the job would be the scheduling. We would be constantly understaffed and would have to work twice as hard to keep the restaurant running.

The best part of the job would be the knowledge I gained there. I was able to advance positions and create a foundation to build my future career on.
Pros
Flexible hours, great co-workers
Cons
Understaffed, overworked, not enough compensation
Free Coffee Week (day 1)
Swing(Shift) Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrisburg, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Lots of fun and excitement in the atmosphere, everyone smiles and laughs, looks to be a good day.
Customers begin to get difficult but the good guests outweigh the difficult ones.
Encouraging the crew to stay positive and keep up the hard work, motivate them as much as possible in order to keep the day running smoothly.
Review my sales, my shift, my success and losses. Speak with the next manager starting work about how the day was (how busy it was, organized, what extra duties were performed if any, any product we may be out of, and to remind them of any promotions.
Speak to upper management about my performance (2/year)

Hardest part of the job is never being able to make 100% of everything 100%. We are optimistic and try our absolute hardest each and every day either way.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the crew/manager appreciation outings. The amount of fun, the friendships we build during those times is unbeatable.
Pros
discounts, free uniform
Cons
shift work, varied hours
Terrible Experience
Full time (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJanuary 2, 2016
Every day was extremely stressful. From difficult costumers, to horrible management and problem solving. Managers make their own rules instead of following store rules, which often lead costumers and employees with unfair solutions. Few managers actually have raised their voice, one in particular almost physically attacking a few of our employees. It took them 5 months to change my schedule availability and had to submit new ones multiple times. Only one or two managers willing to help or actually get things done but still not perfect. Issues never got resolved, got pushed off. A lot of favouritism and unprofessional and unfair behaviour towards the employees and others. If you don't mind being in a dramatic high school environment, this place will definitely provide it all for you. Especially having no time to yourself. Schedules are not flexible and expect you to work odd hours and nearly every day, including weekends and over night so during your time off you are basically sleeping all day and have no time for life outside. Keep in mind it is hard place to progress in/ get a promotion, it is all based off favouritism. Also gained no benefits , ripped me off.
Productive and a fast-paced work environment.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 31, 2016
Usual shift involves with a sales goal each hour, communicating with everyone and keeping calm under a certain pressure. Manager would give us different tasks a secondary option. When it's not busy, multi-tasking is involved, making sure preparation is complete. I am cross-trained so I'm usually everywhere (front counter, back, or drive-thru) so usual productive things to do i.e. serving customers, making coffee, or making food or greeting them a good day.I really don't have a personal opinion on my management team except that they do their job well as much as I respect them for their professionalism. The hardest part about the job is satisfying customers, we get different kinds of customers and I enjoy that. We get "difficult" customers that are very handy to handle. But overall, I like the fast-paced environment, very productive, flexible hours and working with everyone
Pros
Discounted meals, flexible hours
Cons
Long hours of standing, lifting majority of food products, burns and cuts
Work is easy, but fast-paced and usually disorganized.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 10, 2015
There are many positions available at McDonald's, I was on the Front Counter taking orders or running. The training is pretty horrible, pretty much just read over a bunch of stuff and they throw you out on the floor (usually during rush's). It's gotten better now, but that's what they did when I started. I was supposed to of received my Platinum Card (50% off all McDonald's food across Canada) when I started, one of the only benefits of working there and I still haven't received it. Even after mentioning it dozens of time, they always make excuses. Most of the "managers" can't solve anything.
Pros
Relatively easy job and good to have on your resume; Good to have as a second side job.
Cons
A 24-hour restaurant means you can be scheduled graveyard shifts, customers can be really rude, management isn't great.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
customer service / front counter (Former Employee) –  London, ON - 61 Oxford St EDecember 13, 2015
- log in, get dressed and go right to floor and get to work
- great customer service skills, working in a team
- management was awesome, very understanding and lenient towards crew members when it came to school and other priorities.
- my coworkers are and we're what made me love going to work, they treated me like family right away when I started, everyone got along and treated everyone fairly and respectfully
- Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner rushes, those were my favourite parts of the day even though they we'er the most difficult because, it was very busy and fast paced and time just flew by!
Pros
good amount of shifts/hours, work environment, managers
Cons
long hours - but went by fast, rude customers
Fun & Educating Food Industry Service