Maxxam Analytics Inc. Employee Reviews

Good company with learning opportunties to start your career
Project Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 July 2014
Maxxam Analytics is a good place to start your career or if you're looking for work experience. I worked for the company for two years and enjoyed my time there and the experience I gained. It was a great team environment and there are lots of learning opportunities available. Generally it was very busy and there was lots of work to do, but at times it could be stressful to meet specific deadlines. As a company they pay on the lower end of the scale compared to other companies in the same industry and I found there was a high turnover rate because of that. Most people eventually moved on to higher paying jobs, including those in senior management positions, which is unfortunate because I think it would be in the company's best interest to keep employees long term.
Pros
Free lunches, paid vacation and benefits, positive team environment, learning and training opportunities.
Cons
low pay, high employee turnover
Very good place to learn new technology, but avarage managment
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2015
Perform GC/MS analysis of air for full VOC list
Learn about GC/MS and Entech instrument
Management is very technically qualify but not "management" part
Very good team work with co-workers
The hardest part no technical suport for Entech instrument
The most enjoyable part learning new staff and make co-worker friends
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No job security
Friendly environment
Lab Technician (internship) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 March 2016
Maxxam is a Peaceful place to work and has friendly environment. However the salary offered even for the very experienced staffs is way bellow expectation.
Pros
Peaceful and friendly environment
Cons
low salary
Great people, terrible wages
Analyst 2 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton3 September 2014
The people there were all wonderful, but there are a lot of problems with advancement.
The hardest part of the job was fixing mistakes made by other people without information as to how to fix it as well as no way to contact said people.
A typical day would consist of sample prep, running a batch of samples and then spending the rest of the day trying to find samples that had not arrived for a variety of reasons.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of completing a ridiculous amount of work in a short amount of time.
I learned to be patient if a coworker does not understand what you are trying to tell them.
Pros
Table tennis, free coffee
Cons
Poor management
Productive and engaging place to work
Senior Environmental Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2013
Productive and engaging place to work -
My typical day would involve managing client project submissions from receipt to data reporting.
I have learnt a great deal about project management & time management.
The management team seem quite on top of things; but at times seem a bit overbearing.
The hardest part of the job is effective time management in a heavily process oriented environment with high demands and evolving expectations.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be my co-workers. They are quite awesome individuals.
Pros
Evolving and engaging
Friendly Co-workers. Busy Atomshpere
Supervisor, Food Science & Safety Division (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2015
Sanitizing area before placing samples on the table, making sure no samples are contaminated. Unloading samples from the trucks ensuring that food samples are at accurate temperatures. Testing samples for various bacterias, eg) e-coli, salmonella listeria, yeast & mold and staph. Importing analysis into database. Co-workers were very friendly and helpful when needed. Hardiest part of the job was working overtime on a regular basis. Most enjoyable part was ensuring that not only myself was satisfied but the client as well with the analysis.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Overtime hours on a regular basis
Excellent
Sample Reception Login Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 August 2012
Maxxam Analytics is a great place to work. The people are absolutely wonderful. As well, the company offers an important and quality service to oil and gas clients. Maxxam is involved in the Environmental reclamation process of drill sites in northern Alberta and abroad. Maxxam's attention to detail and success through science is what propels this company to succeed in this industry niche.

A typical day at work consists of receiving environmental samples from clients, and inputting the required test codes into a custom software program for future laboratory analysis. Samples are stored in coolers, and kept available for analysis for several months. Hazardous waste is dealt with following WHMIS guidelines. Some heavy lifting is required.

The co-workers and management are phenomenal. Maxxam Sample Reception is a social team-oriented atmosphere with a stellar cast. The supervisors are phenomenal, and help the team to function to its absolute potential. There is always someone to ask if questions arise. It is a fast paced, and enjoyable atmosphere.
Pros
team building activities such as free lunches
Cons
long hours during the summer months
Productive, team work and culturally developed
Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 July 2015
A typical work day would begin off by going to the sample fridge and grabbing the samples which are ready to analyzed by the instruments. once the samples are obtained they are then prioritized and run on the instruments according to importance and urgency. Once the samples have finished running the data would then be transferred to the desktop computer and analyzed and a complete analyzed package would be given to the management. Throughout the day some instruments would require maintenance if abnormalities arise in the chrome, in such case the samples would be removed from the particular instrument and run onto another while the other one is cooling.The hardest part of the job was the troubleshooting of instruments and/or samples sent by clients. This part was made easy due to an excellent work team and management.
Avoid This Company
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 October 2015
Supervisor was good however job was repetitive and boring. There is very little opportunity for advancement. Will make you do work above your pay grade and not pay you. The skills used for the job are something anyone can do, no need to go to university for them. I regret working here.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Boring, Repetitive, No advancement
Appreciated the people very much.
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB1 May 2013
Appreciated the opportunity to learn more about the environment lab industry. There was a big variety of positions to recruit for including those on the field, those in the lab, and office staff along with management.
Pros
Much opportunity for leadership and employee coaching
Cons
Too much administrative detail involved in the job, giving long hours
Good teamwork and excellent professional skills
Environmental Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 December 2015
My routing job include the verification of the pipette, balance , dispenser and hotblock , the extraction of soil , water and food sample, preparation of standard solution and maintenance of test instrument

My co-workers are good team workers, so I would like work with them. I enjoy doing any lab job except searching sample that share with other groups, so it is the hardest job for me to search a sample somewhere. I have known that following SOP is very important for a lab analyst to get right and reliable result.
A very good place to learn and gain experience.
Corporate Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 September 2015
A very good place to start, if you'd like to learn and gain experience. Lots of opportunities for career advancement. Maxxam also supports personal continuing education which will benefit both employees and the organization.
Field Technician
Field Sampling Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 September 2013
This position has been an introduction to the physical aspects of the oil and gas industry for me. As I have studied the logistics and environmental background of this industry, it was very interesting and enlightening to see these projects be put to life. Management has been very helpful and accommodating throughout all stages of this contract. The most challenging part of this position is working in severe weather conditions because the field technicians are doing sensitive testing that can be affected by the weather if the right measures are not taken. The most enjoyable part of this position is learning the various stages and procedures that go into oil production.
Great experience, learned great people skills and Independent work
Project Management/ Client Services (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 July 2013
I dealt with over 500 companies doing environmental project management. Worked with all testing regulations in British Columbia Canada with respect to Industrial Hygiene, Water quality, asbestoes testing and Soil samples. I also worked with reclaimation and remediation in environmental standards and regulations in BC. My office was a great tool to learn from because I worked with Project Managers at all levels and they were a great fountain of knowledge. I enjoyed dealing with the clients and teaching new customers about the testing requirements and regulations.
Productive and fun workplace with excellent managemt, social culture and work time flexibility
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 January 2013
A typical day at work starts with lots of things to organize before beginning to setup experimental batches. One has to make sure that the work environment is clean and free from any material that is potential cause for hazards. Everything that is reqiured for the job should be ready and in sufficient quantities for the day's activities.

It is important to prioritize the daily work according to rush, rework and regular samples. The management is supportive and gives guidance in all aspect of day to day activities.

I learned scientific procedures and principles for different types of analytical works in addition to social cultures and how to work within a team. I also learned how to deal with co-workers with difficult characters.

The hardest part of the job is when one has to repeat an experiment setup due to quality control failures. This doesn't happen so often. However, when that happens, it is time consuming to search for archived samples and to re-work all the way from the start.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is a team work. As a team everyone does the best to accomplish the task in due time.
Pros
job due date, meeting customer demands, free lunch, employee kids christmas party, employee christmas lunch, new year party.
Cons
work pressure to accomplish as much as possible during the work day.
Not sure what you are asking here? Like mostly what I did & what I accomplished.
Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2013
Worked with many systems.
Excel, word, or whatever client was currently working with.
Preparing, printing reports. Sending them out thru email, mail & whatever customer requested.
Invoicing; preparing & sending invoicing out manually & Physically.
Helping with clients requests by phone, emails, etc.
Helping clients with ANY requests needed.
Updating & keeping client info up to date.
Doing each & every task required as per client.
Pros
Satisfaction for a job well done. Other than that, only client recognition.
Cons
Long hours; but mostly satisfying.
Summary
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 August 2013
We have free Tim horton party at the end of every month.

I learned so many skills like work under pressure, meet dead lines, priority of work, work independently as well as as a team player

Our management is very co-operative

I have very good relations with all co- worker. My co-workers always tell about me i am very quick learner, hard working, responsible and confident about my work.

we are focus on health and safety. We always think safety starts with me

Most enjoyable part of the job is my work. I am always enjoy with my work. I like to solve trouble shooting during work and like to accept challenges.
An enironment of challenges, and innovation.
lab technician-archiving, retreiving, amd disposal (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 December 2013
I am sorry I have yet to use your sight to make a proper evaluation

A typical day at my work involved, answering e-mails and responding to queries . Samples of soil, water, and food were archived, and retrieved based on requests.

Management,at one level was responsive to innovations and good at communication feedback

My co-workers were excellent at team work.

The hardest part of the job was the lifting and the heat in the summer.

The most enjoyable part of the day was retrieving off the samples.
Pros
proximity
Cons
pay, heat in summer
Lower than competitors pay
Lab technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 January 2016
Lower than competitors pay, The overall company performance was good and satisfactory.

Life balance is good in this company. many people to work with and many new stuff to learn.
Pros
Life balance
Cons
Lower than competitors pay
good IT team
Computer systems specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary7 July 2015
I'm enjoying to work at Maxxam analytics. A typical day at work starts with a cup of coffee... and 10 telephone calls. First thing which I learned at Maxxam: "If it's working don't touch it " or "before you do change something make sure you don't break it". My manager is the best manager which I had during of my all career.

2.8