Maxxam Analytics Inc.

Maxxam Analytics Inc. Employee Reviews

Overly Competitive out of touch Company
Senior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC25 February 2016
I would strongly avoid this Company at all cost. The salary is way below expectations of a competitive market. You get little to no resources in regards to work load, basically you are expected to work the job of 3-4 people and the salary doesn't reflect the amount of work load. I would be told not asked to work at times 7 days straight with no rest. Many of my colleagues I had the pleasure of working with either had nervous breakdowns or had to take stress related leave. The company is highly competitive to the point where your personal time was never considered. Management would constantly talk negatively to the Regional Manager to give you a bad impression in the eyes of upper management. Any work related grievances with Human Resources never were resolved. Company moral was always on the down side due to aggressive supervisors with no idea of how to express themselves. If you enjoy being extremely over worked and under payed then consider this company but I strongly urge anyone to re-consider their career at this company.
Pros
Leaving the Company
Cons
Showing up for another day of abuse
NOT a nice place to work.
Project Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 October 2016
Good management was lacking. Supervisor too busy to ask for help when needed. HR department made their own assumptions so was wrongly accused. Was let go without chance to explain. Did not maintain confidentiality at all, so was made to look bad to fellow employees. Job duties were okay, but wage didn't match the job. Other employees agreed. Terrible experience.
Pros
Fellow employees were nice.
Cons
Not enough pay for type of work.
Analysis
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sladview25 November 2016
Average knowledge level is low, , you also need follow theirs method of test, can't believe their test result, if you want keep the entry labour job, also need follow the wrong test & report method,
thank the sladview manager to lay off me, I had another choice, opened my own business, now more relax & happy with my professional knowledge.
Pros
Entry experience, for freshman
Cons
Skill labor with low salary without future
Very Productive and able to learn so much through trainings
Environmental Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 July 2016
A very wonderful organization to work with. Being in the Environmental Field, traveling is fun as you get to visit every single site of major oil and gas plants within Canada. Training for staff is a key for a carrier beginner and it never ends. The manager is such an understanding minded and very easy going. I worked with Maxxam both in Calgary and Edmonton offices and I would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
free dinner after long good job over a week
Cons
Long hours in field
Was a job I thought I could do forever
Field Technician II (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB30 July 2016
Job was fine at first due to it being my first full-time job that was not retail. Then everything went downhill with the company being bought out overseas, change of leadership then the layoff of over half the employees.
Pros
It was a job with good pay.
Cons
Long hours, staff was disposable, interoffice animosity and favoritism
Great working environment
Sample Logistics Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 June 2016
Good work experience for entry level experience. Poor salary and hours. Great people/coworkers and management. Very busy environment.
friendly work environment
Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2016
A day start with checking summary of samples and priortise samples according to deadline. Manangement is very supporting, I have learned various instruments like ICP-OES, pH meter, EC meter.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
not good raise
very bad company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 August 2016
this company has very bad management and people do the daily jobs such as machine without brain. Most employee have no chemical background. The pay is very low. unbelievable it is in canada.
hard job and heavy duty
Sample Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 July 2016
heavy duty and required a lot of lifting and carrying food sample
multi-tasking work place
communication is improving
dealing with multiple customers
management skills
Pros
free lunches
Cons
heavy
Great place to work and get laboratory experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 October 2016
I was fortunate to work in the mobile laboratory. Maxxam has an Excellent QA system, wonderful people to work with, lots of fun. Great place to get experience.
Pros
Free coffee, lunches sometimes, overall good environment to work
Cons
Too much paper work and documentation, unable to focus on productivity
fun lab
Environmental Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2016
A company you can learn a lot and spend your days working with amazing people. Unfortunately due to utility and government regulations we've gone through lots of ups and downs which i decided to look for other opportunities.
was fun with table tenis
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 November 2016
good working with people, nice environment and stable job depend on supervisor and your knowledge and experience
Company is fast growing
Great company to start your career with
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2016
Maxxam was a great place to work at. I've made many long lasting professional and personal relationships while working there. I was respected and my opinion was valued.
Incompetent management and low pay
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton18 June 2014
Maxxam is a good place to work if you want a year of lab experience and contacts to provide you with a better job. They are a company who continue to exploit overqualified immigrants with low pay and long hours.

The only way to get promoted in this company is to be buddy buddy with your manager. Raises are the same.

General Manager is completely inept at making logical choices and continues to drive this location into the ground.

When maxxam realizes they can no longer get by giving only cost of living raises each year, they will be a good company to work for.
Pros
Friendly culture, free lunches, great HR department
Cons
low pay, incompetent managers, constant passing of blame
Friendly environment
Lab Technician (internship) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 March 2016
Maxxam is a Peaceful place to work and has friendly environment. However the salary offered even for the very experienced staffs is way bellow expectation.
Pros
Peaceful and friendly environment
Cons
low salary
A very good contract lab, good start to a career
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton environmental27 September 2014
As contract labs go this is a very good one. Data quality is the top priority. They have become the go to lab for quality work in the Alberta market since the demise of Envirotest. Management and supervisors work long hours year round, analysts work long hours during busy season, and it gets boring during slow season. The company does try to minimize layoffs by using co-op students but some layoffs are unavoidable. Expect to be seasonal temp when first hired with no benefits, but if you get full time here, benefits are very good. Stay to learn new skills and pad your resume then move on, unless you love the fast pace. If you do, then stay and you will eventually get promoted.
Pros
Fast pace, learn new technology, take pride in quality.
Cons
Lots of overtime needed in busy season.
Good company with learning opportunties to start your career
Project Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 July 2014
Maxxam Analytics is a good place to start your career or if you're looking for work experience. I worked for the company for two years and enjoyed my time there and the experience I gained. It was a great team environment and there are lots of learning opportunities available. Generally it was very busy and there was lots of work to do, but at times it could be stressful to meet specific deadlines. As a company they pay on the lower end of the scale compared to other companies in the same industry and I found there was a high turnover rate because of that. Most people eventually moved on to higher paying jobs, including those in senior management positions, which is unfortunate because I think it would be in the company's best interest to keep employees long term.
Pros
Free lunches, paid vacation and benefits, positive team environment, learning and training opportunities.
Cons
low pay, high employee turnover
Very good place to learn new technology, but avarage managment
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2015
Perform GC/MS analysis of air for full VOC list
Learn about GC/MS and Entech instrument
Management is very technically qualify but not "management" part
Very good team work with co-workers
The hardest part no technical suport for Entech instrument
The most enjoyable part learning new staff and make co-worker friends
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No job security
Friendly Co-workers. Busy Atomshpere
Supervisor, Food Science & Safety Division (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2015
Sanitizing area before placing samples on the table, making sure no samples are contaminated. Unloading samples from the trucks ensuring that food samples are at accurate temperatures. Testing samples for various bacterias, eg) e-coli, salmonella listeria, yeast & mold and staph. Importing analysis into database. Co-workers were very friendly and helpful when needed. Hardiest part of the job was working overtime on a regular basis. Most enjoyable part was ensuring that not only myself was satisfied but the client as well with the analysis.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Overtime hours on a regular basis
Great people, terrible wages
Analyst 2 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton3 September 2014
The people there were all wonderful, but there are a lot of problems with advancement.
The hardest part of the job was fixing mistakes made by other people without information as to how to fix it as well as no way to contact said people.
A typical day would consist of sample prep, running a batch of samples and then spending the rest of the day trying to find samples that had not arrived for a variety of reasons.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of completing a ridiculous amount of work in a short amount of time.
I learned to be patient if a coworker does not understand what you are trying to tell them.
Pros
Table tennis, free coffee
Cons
Poor management

2.8