Maxxam Analytics Inc.

Maxxam Analytics Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace with excellent managemt, social culture and work time flexibility
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 13, 2013
A typical day at work starts with lots of things to organize before beginning to setup experimental batches. One has to make sure that the work environment is clean and free from any material that is potential cause for hazards. Everything that is reqiured for the job should be ready and in sufficient quantities for the day's activities.

It is important to prioritize the daily work according to rush, rework and regular samples. The management is supportive and gives guidance in all aspect of day to day activities.

I learned scientific procedures and principles for different types of analytical works in addition to social cultures and how to work within a team. I also learned how to deal with co-workers with difficult characters.

The hardest part of the job is when one has to repeat an experiment setup due to quality control failures. This doesn't happen so often. However, when that happens, it is time consuming to search for archived samples and to re-work all the way from the start.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is a team work. As a team everyone does the best to accomplish the task in due time.
Pros
job due date, meeting customer demands, free lunch, employee kids christmas party, employee christmas lunch, new year party.
Cons
work pressure to accomplish as much as possible during the work day.
Enjoyed being busy and establishing my own workflow
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 9, 2012
Established a prioritized daily work flow:
- record voice mail messages from clients and return calls
- sort new work orders from provincial government by Drinking Water Officer and scan/email to each officer daily
- sort new work orders by job number and file by date
- process credit card and cash payments for pre-paid work orders, scan all related documents to accounts receivable, record payments in tracking file
- run database report for new jobs requiring price approvals and do price approvals
- run database report for completed jobs requiring invoicing, do invoicing, print and mail invoices
- answer calls as they came in, providing information regarding company services, redirecting calls as required, researching information or services, providing information on job status, results of testing, invoicing information, locating and supplying clients with copies of prior job results or invoices
- assisting lab manager and project manager by locating documents they required or returning client calls for them
- assisting shipping & receiving department with data entry of new work orders, and filling client orders for testing supplies
- assisting lab assistants by disposal of their expired soil or water samples
Pros
working independently as well as the opportunity to demonstrate teamwork and flexability
Cons
management style
Excellent
Sample Reception Login Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 23, 2012
Maxxam Analytics is a great place to work. The people are absolutely wonderful. As well, the company offers an important and quality service to oil and gas clients. Maxxam is involved in the Environmental reclamation process of drill sites in northern Alberta and abroad. Maxxam's attention to detail and success through science is what propels this company to succeed in this industry niche.

A typical day at work consists of receiving environmental samples from clients, and inputting the required test codes into a custom software program for future laboratory analysis. Samples are stored in coolers, and kept available for analysis for several months. Hazardous waste is dealt with following WHMIS guidelines. Some heavy lifting is required.

The co-workers and management are phenomenal. Maxxam Sample Reception is a social team-oriented atmosphere with a stellar cast. The supervisors are phenomenal, and help the team to function to its absolute potential. There is always someone to ask if questions arise. It is a fast paced, and enjoyable atmosphere.
Pros
team building activities such as free lunches
Cons
long hours during the summer months
Good company with learning opportunties to start your career
Project Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 4, 2014
Maxxam Analytics is a good place to start your career or if you're looking for work experience. I worked for the company for two years and enjoyed my time there and the experience I gained. It was a great team environment and there are lots of learning opportunities available. Generally it was very busy and there was lots of work to do, but at times it could be stressful to meet specific deadlines. As a company they pay on the lower end of the scale compared to other companies in the same industry and I found there was a high turnover rate because of that. Most people eventually moved on to higher paying jobs, including those in senior management positions, which is unfortunate because I think it would be in the company's best interest to keep employees long term.
Pros
free lunches, paid vacation and benefits, positive team environment, learning and training opportunities.
Cons
low pay, high employee turnover
Average day as a Sample Support Technician
Food Sample Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 9, 2015
- Average day starts at work with inspecting samples, making sure they are okay to be processed, and adding test codes using a program called LIMS, which informs the laboratory what to process the sample for
- As a closing staff, I am one of the last person to leave work. This includes making sure all the samples are present in the lab, all the test codes are correct, and samples with any major problems are held over and the client is notified about it.
- Working at Maxxam Analytics has taught me how to work with CFIA level SOPs, GMPs. Also, working at the front end of the laboratory gives us the overall perspective of how an analytical laboratory operators as a whole.
- The hardest and the most enjoyable part of this position was always using problem solving skills as a lot of samples are received with wrong chain of custodies or with wrong test codes.
Productive, team work and culturally developed
Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 9, 2015
A typical work day would begin off by going to the sample fridge and grabbing the samples which are ready to analyzed by the instruments. once the samples are obtained they are then prioritized and run on the instruments according to importance and urgency. Once the samples have finished running the data would then be transferred to the desktop computer and analyzed and a complete analyzed package would be given to the management. Throughout the day some instruments would require maintenance if abnormalities arise in the chrome, in such case the samples would be removed from the particular instrument and run onto another while the other one is cooling.The hardest part of the job was the troubleshooting of instruments and/or samples sent by clients. This part was made easy due to an excellent work team and management.
A very good contract lab, good start to a career
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton environmentalSeptember 27, 2014
As contract labs go this is a very good one. Data quality is the top priority. They have become the go to lab for quality work in the Alberta market since the demise of Envirotest. Management and supervisors work long hours year round, analysts work long hours during busy season, and it gets boring during slow season. The company does try to minimize layoffs by using co-op students but some layoffs are unavoidable. Expect to be seasonal temp when first hired with no benefits, but if you get full time here, benefits are very good. Stay to learn new skills and pad your resume then move on, unless you love the fast pace. If you do, then stay and you will eventually get promoted.
Pros
fast pace, learn new technology, take pride in quality.
Cons
lots of overtime needed in busy season.
Healthy and friendly work environment, and lots of learning opportunities
Bottle Prep Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 9, 2014
Working with Maxxam Analytics has proven to be a very good experience. Eventhough I was a Bottle Prep Technician, My supervisor has always encouraged me and given me opportunities to learn in different parts of the department. I have also been trained in sample inspection as well as sample entry. I am not just constrained to work in bottle prep. When needed, I am always up as a helping hand in sample inspection as well as sample entry. This brought a change in my daily schedule as it was not just a typical repetation of work and I was allowed to do different kinds of tasks. All of my co-workers are very friendly and always ready to teach new things or give ideas to work faster and better.
Field Technician
Field Sampling Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 11, 2013
This position has been an introduction to the physical aspects of the oil and gas industry for me. As I have studied the logistics and environmental background of this industry, it was very interesting and enlightening to see these projects be put to life. Management has been very helpful and accommodating throughout all stages of this contract. The most challenging part of this position is working in severe weather conditions because the field technicians are doing sensitive testing that can be affected by the weather if the right measures are not taken. The most enjoyable part of this position is learning the various stages and procedures that go into oil production.
Incompetent management and low pay
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJune 18, 2014
Maxxam is a good place to work if you want a year of lab experience and contacts to provide you with a better job. They are a company who continue to exploit overqualified immigrants with low pay and long hours.

The only way to get promoted in this company is to be buddy buddy with your manager. Raises are the same.

General Manager is completely inept at making logical choices and continues to drive this location into the ground.

When maxxam realizes they can no longer get by giving only cost of living raises each year, they will be a good company to work for.
Pros
friendly culture, free lunches, great hr department
Cons
low pay, incompetent managers, constant passing of blame
Great people, terrible wages
Analyst 2 (Current Employee) –  EdmontonSeptember 3, 2014
The people there were all wonderful, but there are a lot of problems with advancement.
The hardest part of the job was fixing mistakes made by other people without information as to how to fix it as well as no way to contact said people.
A typical day would consist of sample prep, running a batch of samples and then spending the rest of the day trying to find samples that had not arrived for a variety of reasons.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of completing a ridiculous amount of work in a short amount of time.
I learned to be patient if a coworker does not understand what you are trying to tell them.
Pros
table tennis, free coffee
Cons
poor management
Great experience, learned great people skills and Independent work
Project Management/ Client Services (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 5, 2013
I dealt with over 500 companies doing environmental project management. Worked with all testing regulations in British Columbia Canada with respect to Industrial Hygiene, Water quality, asbestoes testing and Soil samples. I also worked with reclaimation and remediation in environmental standards and regulations in BC. My office was a great tool to learn from because I worked with Project Managers at all levels and they were a great fountain of knowledge. I enjoyed dealing with the clients and teaching new customers about the testing requirements and regulations.
Friendly Co-workers. Busy Atomshpere
Supervisor, Food Science & Safety Division (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 6, 2015
Sanitizing area before placing samples on the table, making sure no samples are contaminated. Unloading samples from the trucks ensuring that food samples are at accurate temperatures. Testing samples for various bacterias, eg) e-coli, salmonella listeria, yeast & mold and staph. Importing analysis into database. Co-workers were very friendly and helpful when needed. Hardiest part of the job was working overtime on a regular basis. Most enjoyable part was ensuring that not only myself was satisfied but the client as well with the analysis.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Overtime hours on a regular basis
Productive and engaging place to work
Senior Environmental Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 22, 2013
Productive and engaging place to work -
My typical day would involve managing client project submissions from receipt to data reporting.
I have learnt a great deal about project management & time management.
The management team seem quite on top of things; but at times seem a bit overbearing.
The hardest part of the job is effective time management in a heavily process oriented environment with high demands and evolving expectations.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be my co-workers. They are quite awesome individuals.
Pros
evolving and engaging
Cons
Not sure what you are asking here? Like mostly what I did & what I accomplished.
Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 24, 2013
Worked with many systems.
Excel, word, or whatever client was currently working with.
Preparing, printing reports. Sending them out thru email, mail & whatever customer requested.
Invoicing; preparing & sending invoicing out manually & Physically.
Helping with clients requests by phone, emails, etc.
Helping clients with ANY requests needed.
Updating & keeping client info up to date.
Doing each & every task required as per client.
Pros
satisfaction for a job well done. other than that, only client recognition.
Cons
long hours; but mostly satisfying.
Summary
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 21, 2013
We have free Tim horton party at the end of every month.

I learned so many skills like work under pressure, meet dead lines, priority of work, work independently as well as as a team player

Our management is very co-operative

I have very good relations with all co- worker. My co-workers always tell about me i am very quick learner, hard working, responsible and confident about my work.

we are focus on health and safety. We always think safety starts with me

Most enjoyable part of the job is my work. I am always enjoy with my work. I like to solve trouble shooting during work and like to accept challenges.
An enironment of challenges, and innovation.
lab technician-archiving, retreiving, amd disposal (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 30, 2013
I am sorry I have yet to use your sight to make a proper evaluation

A typical day at my work involved, answering e-mails and responding to queries . Samples of soil, water, and food were archived, and retrieved based on requests.

Management,at one level was responsive to innovations and good at communication feedback

My co-workers were excellent at team work.

The hardest part of the job was the lifting and the heat in the summer.

The most enjoyable part of the day was retrieving off the samples.
Pros
proximity
Cons
pay, heat in summer
Good teamwork and excellent professional skills
Environmental Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 15, 2015
My routing job include the verification of the pipette, balance , dispenser and hotblock , the extraction of soil , water and food sample, preparation of standard solution and maintenance of test instrument

My co-workers are good team workers, so I would like work with them. I enjoy doing any lab job except searching sample that share with other groups, so it is the hardest job for me to search a sample somewhere. I have known that following SOP is very important for a lab analyst to get right and reliable result.
A good working environment for budding as well as professional microbiologists
Food Microbiologist Trainee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 5, 2014
A typical day at work begins by collecting the samples and sampling it out. Then, the sample is put into media or vice-versa and kept at incubation at the required incubation conditions.

The skills involved include a knowledge of plating techniques, pouring techniques and analyzing the results for any kind of contamination that would be there in food.
Pros
an excellent working environment.
Cons
there is a table tennis in this company and everyone can practice in their break time
Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 30, 2014
I start with GC appropriate standard,after being passed,i will go to GC appropriate gas and oil samples.
I have learned different test that the gas Chromatography is the most important of them.
I will enjoy to work with my co-workers because they are awesome.
The hardest part of the job is to pass the standards.
The most enjoyable is to be with co-workers at work.
Pros
some time we have free lunches at work which is awesome.