Maxxam Analytics Inc.

Maxxam Analytics Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Overly Competitive out of touch Company
Senior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QCFebruary 25, 2016
I would strongly avoid this Company at all cost. The salary is way below expectations of a competitive market. You get little to no resources in regards to work load, basically you are expected to work the job of 3-4 people and the salary doesn't reflect the amount of work load. I would be told not asked to work at times 7 days straight with no rest. Many of my colleagues I had the pleasure of working with either had nervous breakdowns or had to take stress related leave. The company is highly competitive to the point where your personal time was never considered. Management would constantly talk negatively to the Regional Manager to give you a bad impression in the eyes of upper management. Any work related grievances with Human Resources never were resolved. Company moral was always on the down side due to aggressive supervisors with no idea of how to express themselves. If you enjoy being extremely over worked and under payed then consider this company but I strongly urge anyone to re-consider their career at this company.
Pros
Leaving the Company
Cons
Showing up for another day of abuse
Friendly environment
Lab Technician (internship) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 13, 2016
Maxxam is a Peaceful place to work and has friendly environment. However the salary offered even for the very experienced staffs is way bellow expectation.
Pros
Peaceful and friendly environment
Cons
low salary
Friendly Co-workers. Busy Atomshpere
Supervisor, Food Science & Safety Division (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 6, 2015
Sanitizing area before placing samples on the table, making sure no samples are contaminated. Unloading samples from the trucks ensuring that food samples are at accurate temperatures. Testing samples for various bacterias, eg) e-coli, salmonella listeria, yeast & mold and staph. Importing analysis into database. Co-workers were very friendly and helpful when needed. Hardiest part of the job was working overtime on a regular basis. Most enjoyable part was ensuring that not only myself was satisfied but the client as well with the analysis.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Overtime hours on a regular basis
Avoid This Company
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 16, 2015
Supervisor was good however job was repetitive and boring. There is very little opportunity for advancement. Will make you do work above your pay grade and not pay you. The skills used for the job are something anyone can do, no need to go to university for them. I regret working here.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Boring, Repetitive, No advancement
Great people.
Project manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 24, 2015
Maxxam has decent benefits and majority of the people are very friendly and their lab staff is very knowledgeable. Every month end they have bagel days and that is something everyone is looking forward to.
Good teamwork and excellent professional skills
Environmental Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 15, 2015
My routing job include the verification of the pipette, balance , dispenser and hotblock , the extraction of soil , water and food sample, preparation of standard solution and maintenance of test instrument

My co-workers are good team workers, so I would like work with them. I enjoy doing any lab job except searching sample that share with other groups, so it is the hardest job for me to search a sample somewhere. I have known that following SOP is very important for a lab analyst to get right and reliable result.
A very good contract lab, good start to a career
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton environmentalSeptember 27, 2014
As contract labs go this is a very good one. Data quality is the top priority. They have become the go to lab for quality work in the Alberta market since the demise of Envirotest. Management and supervisors work long hours year round, analysts work long hours during busy season, and it gets boring during slow season. The company does try to minimize layoffs by using co-op students but some layoffs are unavoidable. Expect to be seasonal temp when first hired with no benefits, but if you get full time here, benefits are very good. Stay to learn new skills and pad your resume then move on, unless you love the fast pace. If you do, then stay and you will eventually get promoted.
Pros
fast pace, learn new technology, take pride in quality.
Cons
lots of overtime needed in busy season.
friendly work environment
Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 27, 2016
A day start with checking summary of samples and priortise samples according to deadline. Manangement is very supporting, I have learned various instruments like ICP-OES, pH meter, EC meter.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
not good raise
Very good place to learn new technology, but avarage managment
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 6, 2015
Perform GC/MS analysis of air for full VOC list
Learn about GC/MS and Entech instrument
Management is very technically qualify but not "management" part
Very good team work with co-workers
The hardest part no technical suport for Entech instrument
The most enjoyable part learning new staff and make co-worker friends
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no job security
Incompetent management and low pay
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJune 18, 2014
Maxxam is a good place to work if you want a year of lab experience and contacts to provide you with a better job. They are a company who continue to exploit overqualified immigrants with low pay and long hours.

The only way to get promoted in this company is to be buddy buddy with your manager. Raises are the same.

General Manager is completely inept at making logical choices and continues to drive this location into the ground.

When maxxam realizes they can no longer get by giving only cost of living raises each year, they will be a good company to work for.
Pros
friendly culture, free lunches, great hr department
Cons
low pay, incompetent managers, constant passing of blame
Lower than competitors pay
Lab technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2016
Lower than competitors pay, The overall company performance was good and satisfactory.

Life balance is good in this company. many people to work with and many new stuff to learn.
Pros
Life balance
Cons
Lower than competitors pay
Good company with learning opportunties to start your career
Project Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 4, 2014
Maxxam Analytics is a good place to start your career or if you're looking for work experience. I worked for the company for two years and enjoyed my time there and the experience I gained. It was a great team environment and there are lots of learning opportunities available. Generally it was very busy and there was lots of work to do, but at times it could be stressful to meet specific deadlines. As a company they pay on the lower end of the scale compared to other companies in the same industry and I found there was a high turnover rate because of that. Most people eventually moved on to higher paying jobs, including those in senior management positions, which is unfortunate because I think it would be in the company's best interest to keep employees long term.
Pros
free lunches, paid vacation and benefits, positive team environment, learning and training opportunities.
Cons
low pay, high employee turnover
Great working environment
Sample Logistics Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 2, 2016
Good work experience for entry level experience. Poor salary and hours. Great people/coworkers and management. Very busy environment.
Productive, team work and culturally developed
Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 9, 2015
A typical work day would begin off by going to the sample fridge and grabbing the samples which are ready to analyzed by the instruments. once the samples are obtained they are then prioritized and run on the instruments according to importance and urgency. Once the samples have finished running the data would then be transferred to the desktop computer and analyzed and a complete analyzed package would be given to the management. Throughout the day some instruments would require maintenance if abnormalities arise in the chrome, in such case the samples would be removed from the particular instrument and run onto another while the other one is cooling.The hardest part of the job was the troubleshooting of instruments and/or samples sent by clients. This part was made easy due to an excellent work team and management.
A very good place to learn and gain experience.
Corporate Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 16, 2015
A very good place to start, if you'd like to learn and gain experience. Lots of opportunities for career advancement. Maxxam also supports personal continuing education which will benefit both employees and the organization.
Good learning experience
Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaAugust 4, 2015
Good team players with different backgrounds, Learned many soft skills that I was able to implemented in my new job.

It was also a fun place to work, lot of work , but this is expected of a big company
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
A good workplace to start a new career
LabTech (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 17, 2015
I started from an entry level position and was fortunate enough to move up the laboratory "ladder".

The working team members of my area meshed well and having work there for more than 10 years, great working relationships developed.

This was a very fast paced workplace and you were expected to keep up.
Pros
The worker community
Cons
Low pay
Fun, great people and good starting pay
IT System Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QCOctober 28, 2015
Great place supervisor is practically best buds and manager is awsome, love it, wish it was closer to my home, but other than that great place to work
Pros
Great Manager
Cons
Far
good IT team
Computer systems specialist (Current Employee) –  CalgaryJuly 7, 2015
I'm enjoying to work at Maxxam analytics. A typical day at work starts with a cup of coffee... and 10 telephone calls. First thing which I learned at Maxxam: "If it's working don't touch it " or "before you do change something make sure you don't break it". My manager is the best manager which I had during of my all career.
Good experience
Inorganics (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 14, 2015
Expanded my experience. Made me appreciate Maxxam's dedication towards quality and customer service. A lot of quality people work there.