Maxxam Analytics Inc.

Maxxam Analytics Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits

Healthy and friendly work environment, and lots of learning opportunities
Bottle Prep Technician (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 9, 2014
Working with Maxxam Analytics has proven to be a very good experience. Eventhough I was a Bottle Prep Technician, My supervisor has always encouraged me and given me opportunities to learn in different parts of the department. I have also been trained in sample inspection as well as sample entry. I am not just constrained to work in bottle prep. When – more... needed, I am always up as a helping hand in sample inspection as well as sample entry. This brought a change in my daily schedule as it was not just a typical repetation of work and I was allowed to do different kinds of tasks. All of my co-workers are very friendly and always ready to teach new things or give ideas to work faster and better. – less
Excellent place to learn
Environmental Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2014
Pros: good place to learn
My typical day include preparing and testing soil and water samples from mostly oilfields. Management is very easy going. Some co worker get away with lazing around.
A very good contract lab, good start to a career
Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton environmentalSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: fast pace, learn new technology, take pride in quality.
Cons: lots of overtime needed in busy season.
As contract labs go this is a very good one. Data quality is the top priority. They have become the go to lab for quality work in the Alberta market since the demise of Envirotest. Management and supervisors work long hours year round, analysts work long hours during busy season, and it gets boring during slow season. The company does try to minimize – more... layoffs by using co-op students but some layoffs are unavoidable. Expect to be seasonal temp when first hired with no benefits, but if you get full time here, benefits are very good. Stay to learn new skills and pad your resume then move on, unless you love the fast pace. If you do, then stay and you will eventually get promoted. – less
Great First Job
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: low wages
-Go to work and conduct the analysis on the samples one is given
-Learn how a lab operates
-Hard working and motivated on keeping you safe
-Nice
-Receiving late coming samples that are due the next day
-Conducting the analysis
Great people, terrible wages
Analyst 2 (Current Employee), EdmontonSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: table tennis, free coffee
Cons: poor management
The people there were all wonderful, but there are a lot of problems with advancement.
The hardest part of the job was fixing mistakes made by other people without information as to how to fix it as well as no way to contact said people.
A typical day would consist of sample prep, running a batch of samples and then spending the rest of the day trying – more... to find samples that had not arrived for a variety of reasons.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of completing a ridiculous amount of work in a short amount of time.
I learned to be patient if a coworker does not understand what you are trying to tell them. – less
there is a table tennis in this company and everyone can practice in their break time
Technician (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 30, 2014
Pros: some time we have free lunches at work which is awesome.
I start with GC appropriate standard,after being passed,i will go to GC appropriate gas and oil samples.
I have learned different test that the gas Chromatography is the most important of them.
I will enjoy to work with my co-workers because they are awesome.
The hardest part of the job is to pass the standards.
The most enjoyable is to be with co-workers – more... at work. – less
Good company with learning opportunties to start your career
Project Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 4, 2014
Pros: free lunches, paid vacation and benefits, positive team environment, learning and training opportunities.
Cons: low pay, high employee turnover
Maxxam Analytics is a good place to start your career or if you're looking for work experience. I worked for the company for two years and enjoyed my time there and the experience I gained. It was a great team environment and there are lots of learning opportunities available. Generally it was very busy and there was lots of work to do, but at times – more... it could be stressful to meet specific deadlines. As a company they pay on the lower end of the scale compared to other companies in the same industry and I found there was a high turnover rate because of that. Most people eventually moved on to higher paying jobs, including those in senior management positions, which is unfortunate because I think it would be in the company's best interest to keep employees long term. – less
PSD
Technician (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 19, 2014
Satisfied
Good in all with working crew
Everyone work hard
Good Laboratory Equipments
Keep on getting better with company system
awesome place to work
Field Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 18, 2014
Pros: no boss breathing down your neck
Cons: pay is not good
great place to work but the pay is not the best. The managers are awesome, staff is like no other, but if you cant pay rent in the end than its not worth it
Incompetent management and low pay
Supervisor (Current Employee), EdmontonJune 18, 2014
Pros: friendly culture, free lunches, great hr department
Cons: low pay, incompetent managers, constant passing of blame
Maxxam is a good place to work if you want a year of lab experience and contacts to provide you with a better job. They are a company who continue to exploit overqualified immigrants with low pay and long hours.

The only way to get promoted in this company is to be buddy buddy with your manager. Raises are the same.

General Manager is completely inept – more... at making logical choices and continues to drive this location into the ground.

When maxxam realizes they can no longer get by giving only cost of living raises each year, they will be a good company to work for. – less
good opportunity to learn
Laboratory Analyst I (Former Employee), kearl oil-sands (imperial oil)June 12, 2014
it was wonderful working with on different stations in labs and to learn about different methods which i have already mentioned in my resume
Great learning experience
Team Leader (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 3, 2014
Pros: amazing people
Cons: commercial science
Maxxam was a good place to learn. Everyday was a challenge, and staff were amazing. I appreciate the time spent.
Fun Work Enviroment
Lab Technician (Former Employee), MississaugaMay 13, 2014
Pros: events, experience
Cons: long hours
I really recommend it because of its friendly staff and environment.
Good place to start the career
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), MissisaugaMay 5, 2014
Worked Maxxam Analytics and enjoyed my job. Overall good pace to work but slow advancement
A good working environment for budding as well as professional microbiologists
Food Microbiologist Trainee (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 5, 2014
Pros: an excellent working environment.
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work begins by collecting the samples and sampling it out. Then, the sample is put into media or vice-versa and kept at incubation at the required incubation conditions.

The skills involved include a knowledge of plating techniques, pouring techniques and analyzing the results for any kind of contamination that would be there in food.
Flexable hours with good benefit.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 3, 2014
I enjoyed working with my coworkers and typical day work is busy and productive.
Excellent place to work
Sample Reception and Login Technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: nice work environment
Cons: slow progress
EXCELLENT WORK CULTURE
Co-op placement (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 14, 2014
The company has a good management and co-workers.It was really nice working with them.The staff followed team work,respect and integrity to reach target.There was a play way method to inspire the staff to put an extra effort to achieve success.I highly appreciate this effort.
An enironment of challenges, and innovation.
lab technician-archiving, retreiving, amd disposal (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 30, 2013
Pros: proximity
Cons: pay, heat in summer
I am sorry I have yet to use your sight to make a proper evaluation

A typical day at my work involved, answering e-mails and responding to queries . Samples of soil, water, and food were archived, and retrieved based on requests.

Management,at one level was responsive to innovations and good at communication feedback

My co-workers were excellent – more... at team work.

The hardest part of the job was the lifting and the heat in the summer.

The most enjoyable part of the day was retrieving off the samples. – less
Productive and engaging place to work
Senior Environmental Project Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 22, 2013
Pros: evolving and engaging
Cons: long hours
Productive and engaging place to work -
My typical day would involve managing client project submissions from receipt to data reporting.
I have learnt a great deal about project management & time management.
The management team seem quite on top of things; but at times seem a bit overbearing.
The hardest part of the job is effective time management – more... in a heavily process oriented environment with high demands and evolving expectations.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be my co-workers. They are quite awesome individuals. – less

About Maxxam Analytics Inc.

Founded over 40 years ago, Maxxam has developed into Canada’s leader in analytical services and solutions to the energy, – Read more

Maxxam Analytics Inc. Photos