Maxxam Analytics Inc.

Maxxam Analytics Inc. Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent place to work
Sample Reception and Login Technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: nice work environment
Cons: slow progress
Worked Maxxam Analytics and enjoyed my job. Overall good pace to work but slow advancement
EXCELLENT WORK CULTURE
Co-op placement (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 14, 2014
The company has a good management and co-workers.It was really nice working with them.The staff followed team work,respect and integrity to reach target.There was a play way method to inspire the staff to put an extra effort to achieve success.I highly appreciate this effort.
An enironment of challenges, and innovation.
lab technician-archiving, retreiving, amd disposal (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 30, 2013
Pros: proximity
Cons: pay, heat in summer
I am sorry I have yet to use your sight to make a proper evaluation

A typical day at my work involved, answering e-mails and responding to queries . Samples of soil, water, and food were archived, and retrieved based on requests.

Management,at one level was responsive to innovations and good at communication feedback

My co-workers were excellent – more... at team work.

The hardest part of the job was the lifting and the heat in the summer.

The most enjoyable part of the day was retrieving off the samples. – less
reasonable benefit plan, Terrible management
Analyst (Former Employee), AlbertaOctober 29, 2013
Pros: benefit plan
Cons: terrible pay and employees are not appreciated
This company is a great place to start, but a terrible place to end. It will get your career starting, please don't learn anything.. just make few contacts and start applying for work at better companies. Again, never learn anything, basic scientific principles are not applied in this company.
Productive and engaging place to work
Senior Environmental Project Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 22, 2013
Pros: evolving and engaging
Cons: long hours
Productive and engaging place to work -
My typical day would involve managing client project submissions from receipt to data reporting.
I have learnt a great deal about project management & time management.
The management team seem quite on top of things; but at times seem a bit overbearing.
The hardest part of the job is effective time management – more... in a heavily process oriented environment with high demands and evolving expectations.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be my co-workers. They are quite awesome individuals. – less
Things you should know before you apply
Analyst I (Former Employee), Edmonton EnvironmentalOctober 1, 2013
Pros: there are some good people there but few and far between.
Cons: constant corporate indoctrination
I did meet a few good people working for Maxxam but overall the experience was a poor one. Here are a few things I didn't know before I started working there.

-Poorly managed
-High expectations for low wages
-Hire people who I'm not even sure could pass an ESL course making workplace communication extremely difficult.
-They are a yes company to their – more... clients so even if things aren't possible, they will accept work and management will blame lower ranks for failure to complete.
-Privately run company owned by Ontario pension, thus leaving no incentive for regular employees to work harder, so you get a bunch of lazy people. i.e no bonuses, 1 degree inclined corporate ladder, no ability to reinvest with the company.
-3% matched RRSP contributions after 1 year with the company if you can last that long.
-mediocre health/dental insurance.

on a last note I will say it time and time again, if you're working for a company and they have to tell you things like "we were voted one of the 10 best managed companies in 2012" that doesn't mean it's a good company to work for. Companies like Walmart are voted best managed because they know how to slave drive their employees, pay the bear minimum of wages to keep people there just long enough. When you see a company like Maxxam that constantly has multiple job postings it's not because of exponential growth. It's simply because they have a business model that promotes high employee turnover. Companies these days estimate a dollar figure for training a new employee lets say 60k and then they pay their employee 30k per year if they train that new employee and keep them for a year that's 90k worth of tax write offs to the company so that's 90k worth of income that the company is not paying tax on. So that 30k they were paying their employee. it's more like only 5k in the long run. This is why it's voted a top managed company. Not because it's a good company to work for, at Maxxam you are not going for and are as expendable as they come. – less
Field Technician
Field Sampling Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 11, 2013
This position has been an introduction to the physical aspects of the oil and gas industry for me. As I have studied the logistics and environmental background of this industry, it was very interesting and enlightening to see these projects be put to life. Management has been very helpful and accommodating throughout all stages of this contract. The – more... most challenging part of this position is working in severe weather conditions because the field technicians are doing sensitive testing that can be affected by the weather if the right measures are not taken. The most enjoyable part of this position is learning the various stages and procedures that go into oil production. – less
Not sure what you are asking here? Like mostly what I did & what I accomplished.
Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 24, 2013
Pros: satisfaction for a job well done. other than that, only client recognition.
Cons: long hours; but mostly satisfying.
Worked with many systems.
Excel, word, or whatever client was currently working with.
Preparing, printing reports. Sending them out thru email, mail & whatever customer requested.
Invoicing; preparing & sending invoicing out manually & Physically.
Helping with clients requests by phone, emails, etc.
Helping clients with ANY requests needed.
Updating – more... & keeping client info up to date.
Doing each & every task required as per client. – less
Summary
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 21, 2013
We have free Tim horton party at the end of every month.

I learned so many skills like work under pressure, meet dead lines, priority of work, work independently as well as as a team player

Our management is very co-operative

I have very good relations with all co- worker. My co-workers always tell about me i am very quick learner, hard working, – more... responsible and confident about my work.

we are focus on health and safety. We always think safety starts with me

Most enjoyable part of the job is my work. I am always enjoy with my work. I like to solve trouble shooting during work and like to accept challenges. – less
Good introduction to commercial chemistry
Senior Environmental Chemist (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 10, 2013
Pros: good introduction to techniques, field work
Cons: poor management, favourtism, lack of opportunity, long hours, low pay
Maxxam was founded in 1995 after a merger between Chemex Labs
Alberta and two labs from Toronto and Montreal.
I was one of three original employees that started the environmental
section in Calgary, AB in the mid 1970's. Most of my early duties
included wet chemistry, basic instrumentation, and field work.
During the early 1980's, I expanded my role – more... in inorganic chemistry
by utlilizing AA, FIAS, Technicon, and IC. By the late 1980's my
expertise in spectral analysis including ICP and GTA was complete.
I was at that time senior chemist specializing in heavy metal
analysis in water and soil chemistry. I also instructed other chemists
in techniques, safety and lab operations. Many of the new chemists
technicians and management were woefully unprepared for the rigors
of commercial chemistry. Some were placed into positions of
authority where they failed miserably. Many seasoned employees
with years of experience either quit in frustration or were forced out.
I was selected in 1998 to travel to Bangkok, Thailand and set up a
Spectral 700 AA in early 1999 for one of partner laboratories. The
project was cancelled due to a regional currency crisis.
They tried to force me out but I endured their disrespect and
professional misconduct. They laid me off in November, 1999
without warning or proper cause.
I sued for Wrongful Dismissal and within a week had won a out
of court settlement for a hefty sum. The legal action begun by
my lawyer created havoc in the head offices in Toronto as
everyone from the CEO to the board of directors, the Western
Regional Manager, and my immediate manager were liable for
damages.
I'll be starting my own consulting business in 2014 related to
commercial chemistry.
I'd recommend another line of work, perhaps something with the
Oil Sands – less
Good place to learn
Analyst 1 (Former Employee), CalgaryMay 29, 2013
there are opportunities all over the company to move and to learn about everything.
Great place to work with multicultural environment
Microbiology Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 19, 2013
Easy going and multicultural environment
Great place to enhance knowledge
Very helpful co-workers
Appreciated the people very much.
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee), Calgary ABMay 1, 2013
Pros: much opportunity for leadership and employee coaching
Cons: too much administrative detail involved in the job, giving long hours
Appreciated the opportunity to learn more about the environment lab industry. There was a big variety of positions to recruit for including those on the field, those in the lab, and office staff along with management.
Worst workpace ever!!
Technician (Former Employee), MississaugaMarch 23, 2013
Pros: nothing!
Cons: everything!
The only work place I have ever regretted working! Favortism, disrespect for employees are the highlights! I am glad I decided to walk out!
Maxxam provides an excellent overall work environment
Operations Manager, Environmental Division (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 4, 2013
Pros: great team
Cons: none that i have experienced during my 19 years of employment.
I was employed with Maxxam for 19 years and I have a lot of fun, was provided a lot of room for growth. I would recommend Maxxam to anyone who wants to work in a progressive environment.
Productive and fun workplace with excellent managemt, social culture and work time flexibility
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: job due date, meeting customer demands, free lunch, employee kids christmas party, employee christmas lunch, new year party.
Cons: work pressure to accomplish as much as possible during the work day.
A typical day at work starts with lots of things to organize before beginning to setup experimental batches. One has to make sure that the work environment is clean and free from any material that is potential cause for hazards. Everything that is reqiured for the job should be ready and in sufficient quantities for the day's activities.

It is important – more... to prioritize the daily work according to rush, rework and regular samples. The management is supportive and gives guidance in all aspect of day to day activities.

I learned scientific procedures and principles for different types of analytical works in addition to social cultures and how to work within a team. I also learned how to deal with co-workers with difficult characters.

The hardest part of the job is when one has to repeat an experiment setup due to quality control failures. This doesn't happen so often. However, when that happens, it is time consuming to search for archived samples and to re-work all the way from the start.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is a team work. As a team everyone does the best to accomplish the task in due time. – less
Enjoyed being busy and establishing my own workflow
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 9, 2012
Pros: working independently as well as the opportunity to demonstrate teamwork and flexability
Cons: management style
Established a prioritized daily work flow:
- record voice mail messages from clients and return calls
- sort new work orders from provincial government by Drinking Water Officer and scan/email to each officer daily
- sort new work orders by job number and file by date
- process credit card and cash payments for pre-paid work orders, scan all related – more... documents to accounts receivable, record payments in tracking file
- run database report for new jobs requiring price approvals and do price approvals
- run database report for completed jobs requiring invoicing, do invoicing, print and mail invoices
- answer calls as they came in, providing information regarding company services, redirecting calls as required, researching information or services, providing information on job status, results of testing, invoicing information, locating and supplying clients with copies of prior job results or invoices
- assisting lab manager and project manager by locating documents they required or returning client calls for them
- assisting shipping & receiving department with data entry of new work orders, and filling client orders for testing supplies
- assisting lab assistants by disposal of their expired soil or water samples – less
A TYPICAL LAB ENVIRONMENT PLACE
Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 6, 2012
I WORKED IN LABORATORY FOR EXTRACTION VOLATILE SUBSTANCES FROM SOIL AND WATER AND ANALYSIS WITH HPLC.
Excellent
Sample Reception Login Technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 23, 2012
Pros: team building activities such as free lunches
Cons: long hours during the summer months
Maxxam Analytics is a great place to work. The people are absolutely wonderful. As well, the company offers an important and quality service to oil and gas clients. Maxxam is involved in the Environmental reclamation process of drill sites in northern Alberta and abroad. Maxxam's attention to detail and success through science is what propels this company – more... to succeed in this industry niche.

A typical day at work consists of receiving environmental samples from clients, and inputting the required test codes into a custom software program for future laboratory analysis. Samples are stored in coolers, and kept available for analysis for several months. Hazardous waste is dealt with following WHMIS guidelines. Some heavy lifting is required.

The co-workers and management are phenomenal. Maxxam Sample Reception is a social team-oriented atmosphere with a stellar cast. The supervisors are phenomenal, and help the team to function to its absolute potential. There is always someone to ask if questions arise. It is a fast paced, and enjoyable atmosphere. – less
Just no
Analyst I (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 11, 2012
Cons: long hours
The job was mentally challenging. This is a very fast paced work environment. You are always expected to be busy. Good luck negoitating your wage. There is no negotiation. Expect that co-workers hired 4 months ago will be making more than you after years of service and will have started at a higher wage to begin with.

About Maxxam Analytics Inc.

Founded over 40 years ago, Maxxam has developed into Canada’s leader in analytical services and solutions to the energy, – Read more

Maxxam Analytics Inc. Photos