Mastermind Toys Employee Reviews

Sporadic hours with no consistency
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2017
The work is fun if you like toys, most shifts are only 5 hours and the hours are very sporadic and the managers pick favorites for who gets the hours and who doesn't its hard work for minimum wage pay and despite being told raises would happen after minimum wage was increased it did not happen.
Pros
30% discount, learn about new toys, meet great people
Cons
5 hours a week
Productive and generally fun workplace environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON20 March 2017
One typically has a 5 to 8 hour shift and during that time period one organized stock, replaces product, tests out the toys to improve knowledge for recommendations assists customers with their knowledge about the store and its' products.
Pros
Get to play with toys
Cons
Little to no wage benefits
Fun working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2017
Great working environment, fun employees. Not stable hours and minimum wage with no benefits...........................................................
Pros
Free toys
Cons
Minimum wage
Could have been a good place to work, but...
Temporary Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB31 January 2017
Management was absolutely horrendous. Myself and the other stock employees were constantly belittled and threatened with termination for not being able to accomplish an impossible job, with little to no help.
Job training consisted of the teenager who had been there for less than a week showing me what he knew and guessing the rest.
When the Alberta Employment Standards Code was cited for a reason I would not be participating in a specific task I was again threatened with termination.
An employee was strongly encouraged to quit through bullying after filing an HR complaint regarding managements inappropriate behavior.
The list goes on, but you get the idea. If you are looking for a welcoming team environment to work in, skip Mastermind Sherwood Park.
Pros
Easy work, consistant hours.
Cons
They don't care about their employees here.
very good first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 January 2017
This was my very first job and it was a blast. This grocery store is in town at my cottage and so I didn't really know anyone in town since I didn't live up there year round. But working at Valu Mart introduced me to so many interesting people that I hung out with all day in the summer. I am still friends with these people today! The job was a typical grocery store job but I liked it a lot because it was so small. The boss was really nice because we really liked my whole family, considering we were all working there. This job was definitely one of a good childhood memory for me.
Pros
very chilled relaxed summer even though I was working everyday
Productive and well organized work environment
Seasonal Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 January 2017
This job was very organized, as everyone in the workplace had a task to do every hour. I learned how to work quickly and get work done at a faster pace, and help customers with their needs. The co-workers were very friendly and happy to be at work. The hardest part of the job was finding all the products on the shelves, and choosing a product for customers who do not know that they are looking for. The most enjoyable part of the day was wrapping the gifts and working on cash.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Having to clean toilets
Fun, happy environment to work at
Cashier and Customer Service, sales associate (Former Employee) –  south common shopping center, edmonton3 January 2017
A typical day at work was helping customers have the best shopping experience, wrapping gifts, stocking shelves. I learned how to manage costumers, how to give the best service i could to customers . The hardest part of the job was being able to give the best advice at times for customers and finding the best products to fit a customers criteria that was very specific. The most enjoyable part of the job was wrapping gifts, being around the kids who would come into the store.
Enjoyable, comfortable working space
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 October 2016
All of my coworkers were happy and nice. It felt like a very professional yet laid back environment at the same time. I learned how to talk to and assist customers, how to reorganize and restock shelves and isles in an optimal fashion, and the very basics of the cash register. Typically, the store was moderately empty, except for the weekends and days coming close to the holidays. On those days the store was pretty full. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment that the store seemed to have. It never felt like a regular store - though that could be because it is a toy store.
Nice place to work, co-workers are a hit or miss.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 November 2016
Typical day is to clock in, get the apron and name tag all set as well as put away your personal belongings and then get out on the floor. It differs on what section you are given each day (for example, cash and wrapping versus customer service and greeting) and expect to be called upon for other duties.

Team tends to be quite helpful, so make sure to ask questions if you need help! Be careful though, some co-workers may get annoyed (BUT there are some who are absolute sweethearts!).
Awesome Environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 February 2017
Even though I was only a seasonal at mastermind and only spent 2 months working there, it was an amazing experience. Working in a toy store during Christmas time can be very stressful but the staff there is excellent and know what they're doing.
Pros
You work in a toy store, duh, and you get a discount, cmon.
Cons
Working in a toy store makes grown adults buy an obscene amount of toys
Awesome place to work!!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2017
I loved working for Mastermind for the Christmas season, was very sad when my time there ended! The management is so awesome and every person there is so much fun and welcoming
Mastermind Cambridge
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON13 January 2017
I loved working at mastermind toys, I was only seasonal so I only got to work their for two months. It was a great experience, the staff we all amazing and very friendly. This is a great work environment. I would of loved to stay for a part time position but unfornutely it was only for christmas time.
Pros
great environment, great staff, fun
As a sales/cashier
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
It was good some of the management was not as good, not all of them knew what they were doing. Working here was fun, we were always busy despite the ups and downs. The schedule was very flexible.
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier/wrapper (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 January 2017
Very fun place to work, the staff is friendly and the hours go by fast when you reach the busy hours. plus you get to play with some of the toys. You can feel like a kid all over again walking into the store.
Pros
Awesome Staff
Cons
Paper Cuts.
Upbeat work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON23 January 2017
Working at Mastermind was an amazing and fulfilling job. There was always fun to be had and the people who worked there were always understanding and helpful when starting out.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Fun place
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 February 2017
Have a good time working the, people were awesome and the overall environment was amazing. Always felt welcomed and treated as an equal
Pros
Good hours
So much fun.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2017
It's a great company and you will have lots of fun here. Great as a seasonal job at the end of the year, specially if you are a Christmas enthusiast and enjoy wrapping presents.
Things got much worse...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham12 February 2017
This place was great at first, and I loved how lenient they were with schedules. However, things got worse fast. Mastermind is filthy, if you work there. We have a stupid sanitized water system that doesn't work to clean everything - meaning no lysol and no windex. We can't clean the cash screens at all and they took our Purell too! So our hands are always filthy. I always leave work with tingling lips because I tend to touch my face a lot. I feel so disgusting after work I have to take a shower immediately. A year into working there we were also suddenly reminded that we have a dress code besides aprons and nametags. Apparently shoulders and armpits are disruptive and forbidden in a place where 5 year olds run around in spaghetti straps. So they'd rather see my sweat stains on my shirt? I would be more okay with this if management told me on day 1, but I'd been wearing strappies and muscle shirts for a full year before they pressed down on this rule. Management turned things upside-down at the store I worked in. They don't inform you about the things you need to know when you need to know them, and then they get frustrayed when you make a mistake because you weren't informed. They seem to care more about their inventory, bothering people to sign up for e-mails, and selling their book and toy of the week, rather than good customer service - helping the customers over anything else and helping find exactly what they are looking for. Aprons must always be worn with nametags, yet the managers now tell us we must take off our aprons if we are doing inventory. And if a customer  more... still recognizes us and asks for help? Or if cash is swarmed? We'll apparently get in trouble if we stop inventory to help customers. Meanwhile, even when the floor is busy, the managers hide out in the back. This is not how things should be run and I was glaf to be leaving, along with 80% of the other staff that I worked with from day 1.  less
Pros
Booked off whatever days I wanted
Cons
Cleaning system, management
fun workplace
Web Associate (Former Employee) –  415 Milner Ave, Scarborough, ON M1B 2L126 November 2016
In Mastermind Toys it is very nice workplace. Supervisor and other co workers are very helpful. working as a Web Associate i learn so many new things.
Pros
Cons
8 hrs
Fun place to work depending on management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2016
I worked as a Sales Associate/Cashier at Mastermind Toys for 2.5 years part-time while also in university. It was definitely easy to balance with school as I would get anywhere from 10-20 hours a week. In terms of management, for my first 1.5 years it was great! A super fun work environment where going to work was enjoyable. Unfortunately, management changed and everything went downhill. I think it is pretty typical for management to mold the enivornment in a retail environment and the turnover time is typically pretty quick in stores. Overall, working at Mastermind was enjoyable and co-workers were great! But, management has a big impact on how things can change!
Pros
great co-workers, usually pleasant customers
Cons
Christmas time is insane

4.3