Mastermind Toys Employee Reviews

good
Cashier/Product Display Organizer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 June 2017
I only worked here for a month but it was very nice. I worked here during Christmas time when it was very busy, so it was stressful but I am very good at being calm under pressure.
pretty good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2017
not that many hours unless its Christmas, but its a great job for a student and could really help out with communication skills great entry level job!
Great environment to work in, fun, high energy
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2017
A great place to work. You are able to talk with all sorts of people coming in to look for toys. Every customer was excited to be there, especially the children. Stores have great teams working in them as well as good connections with other local stores.
Pros
Fun customers, exciting products, get to play with toys to learn about them
Cons
Inventory management can be tedious, store is always very messy at the end of the day
Highly engaging, friendly environment
Seasonal sales associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 May 2017
All the staff was a joy to work with and they trained the employees extensively. Extremely happy to have gotten the opportunity to have worked at such an awesome place with equally amazing people. Always went to work with a smile and left with a bigger one!
Fun Workplace
Seasonal Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 May 2017
Lots of Interactions with children and parents
Reorganizing Shelves
Cashier Roles
Welcoming Customers
Management is Approachable, Understandable, and Helpful
A good and fun workplace full of friendly people
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 April 2017
this was a good starting job as it offered a calm work environment. Management are nice to employees and work hours are reasonable and consistent. Easy breezy.
Pros
calm and reasonably paced workplace
Cons
working over holiday periods as business boom around Christmas
Shipper/Receiver/Packer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2017
This company is not organized........
when I was working there . one staff fell and broke her arm the next day they made her work so I had to tell her do not use the ladder ill help her, the owner didn't care
Pros
there is nothing about this compny is good
Cons
People are always fighting over packing and order picking.
Interactions with customers, up-selling products based on a description of the customers children.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON23 April 2017
A typical shift at Mastermind toys had me interacting with a wide arrange of customers. Having a face to face conversation with a customer developed my social skills, allowing me to exceed beyond my normal comfort zone. I would help customers find the perfect gift based on the description of the child. I would suggest various items and convince customers of what gift to buy.

The most challenging aspect of the job was to help the customer find a specific item. The most satisfying part of the job was actually finding that specific item. An average day would strengthen my social communication skills, increase my perseverance and dogged optimism. Management was fair and responsible. I understood what was required of me and I worked to the best of my ability to accomplish my task.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Slow Shifts
Do not work at mountpleasant
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2017
While most of the staff at Mount Pleasant is wonderful, the manager is an awful, mean individual. He talks down to staff, huffs and puffs through his shifts, has literally thrown tantrums and walked out of the store, is rude to customers and ignores staff if they ask for assistance. He is also known to write up staff members for things that never happened or things that he blew out of proportion that definitely did not need to be written up.
Mastermind expects their staff to live and breath for the company. They expect themselves to be the top priority in their staff's lives.
Moving up in the company is almost never an option and they will do whatever they can to pay you as little as possible for the large amount of work they expect from you.
I can't stress how emotionally draining it was to work for this company. I can't say if other locations are like this as well but my experience at Mount Pleasant was awful.
Do not work here I promise you can find something better.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Terrible Management
no money to be made
Temporary Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 April 2017
It is located in a area that was far from me. At first I thought this would be ok but after learning I only got paid min wage I soon realized how most of my paycheques would be used for gas to get to work. Really no money to be made unless your a manager or supervisor. Hours were not great either. Some weeks I would only work one day, other weeks I would not get a shift at all. Would only suggest this place to teenagers or other people who do not have bills to pay or a family to support.
Pros
cool toys all around you
Cons
no money to be made
Productive and Fun Fork Environment
Sales Associate & Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2017
Mastermind Toys is a great place to work. It is a productive, fun and overall great work environment with an amazing team. Working here has taught me great customer service skills, and has given me so many opportunities and chances to grow as a person.
Productive and generally fun workplace environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON20 March 2017
One typically has a 5 to 8 hour shift and during that time period one organized stock, replaces product, tests out the toys to improve knowledge for recommendations assists customers with their knowledge about the store and its' products.
Pros
Get to play with toys
Cons
Little to no wage benefits
Great place to work for asm
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 March 2017
Good workplace, head office I can generally stand behind, only interested in leaving because I am under positioned as assistant store manager and would like my own store again,
Awesome place to work!!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2017
I loved working for Mastermind for the Christmas season, was very sad when my time there ended! The management is so awesome and every person there is so much fun and welcoming
Sporadic hours with no consistency
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2017
The work is fun if you like toys, most shifts are only 5 hours and the hours are very sporadic and the managers pick favorites for who gets the hours and who doesn't its hard work for minimum wage pay and despite being told raises would happen after minimum wage was increased it did not happen.
Pros
30% discount, learn about new toys, meet great people
Cons
5 hours a week
Awesome Environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 February 2017
Even though I was only a seasonal at mastermind and only spent 2 months working there, it was an amazing experience. Working in a toy store during Christmas time can be very stressful but the staff there is excellent and know what they're doing.
Pros
You work in a toy store, duh, and you get a discount, cmon.
Cons
Working in a toy store makes grown adults buy an obscene amount of toys
Fun place
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 February 2017
Have a good time working the, people were awesome and the overall environment was amazing. Always felt welcomed and treated as an equal
Pros
Good hours
So much fun.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2017
It's a great company and you will have lots of fun here. Great as a seasonal job at the end of the year, specially if you are a Christmas enthusiast and enjoy wrapping presents.
Fun working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2017
Great working environment, fun employees. Not stable hours and minimum wage with no benefits...........................................................
Pros
Free toys
Cons
Minimum wage
Things got much worse...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham12 February 2017
This place was great at first, and I loved how lenient they were with schedules. However, things got worse fast. Mastermind is filthy, if you work there. We have a stupid sanitized water system that doesn't work to clean everything - meaning no lysol and no windex. We can't clean the cash screens at all and they took our Purell too! So our hands are always filthy. I always leave work with tingling lips because I tend to touch my face a lot. I feel so disgusting after work I have to take a shower immediately. A year into working there we were also suddenly reminded that we have a dress code besides aprons and nametags. Apparently shoulders and armpits are disruptive and forbidden in a place where 5 year olds run around in spaghetti straps. So they'd rather see my sweat stains on my shirt? I would be more okay with this if management told me on day 1, but I'd been wearing strappies and muscle shirts for a full year before they pressed down on this rule. Management turned things upside-down at the store I worked in. They don't inform you about the things you need to know when you need to know them, and then they get frustrayed when you make a mistake because you weren't informed. They seem to care more about their inventory, bothering people to sign up for e-mails, and selling their book and toy of the week, rather than good customer service - helping the customers over anything else and helping find exactly what they are looking for. Aprons must always be worn with nametags, yet the managers now tell us we must take off our aprons if we are doing inventory. And if a customer  more... still recognizes us and asks for help? Or if cash is swarmed? We'll apparently get in trouble if we stop inventory to help customers. Meanwhile, even when the floor is busy, the managers hide out in the back. This is not how things should be run and I was glaf to be leaving, along with 80% of the other staff that I worked with from day 1.  less
Pros
Booked off whatever days I wanted
Cons
Cleaning system, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mastermind Toys. Our community is ready to answer.