Mastermind Toys Employee Reviews

very good first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 January 2017
This was my very first job and it was a blast. This grocery store is in town at my cottage and so I didn't really know anyone in town since I didn't live up there year round. But working at Valu Mart introduced me to so many interesting people that I hung out with all day in the summer. I am still friends with these people today! The job was a typical grocery store job but I liked it a lot because it was so small. The boss was really nice because we really liked my whole family, considering we were all working there. This job was definitely one of a good childhood memory for me.
Pros
very chilled relaxed summer even though I was working everyday
Productive and well organized work environment
Seasonal Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 January 2017
This job was very organized, as everyone in the workplace had a task to do every hour. I learned how to work quickly and get work done at a faster pace, and help customers with their needs. The co-workers were very friendly and happy to be at work. The hardest part of the job was finding all the products on the shelves, and choosing a product for customers who do not know that they are looking for. The most enjoyable part of the day was wrapping the gifts and working on cash.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Having to clean toilets
Fun, happy environment to work at
Cashier and Customer Service, sales associate (Former Employee) –  south common shopping center, edmonton3 January 2017
A typical day at work was helping customers have the best shopping experience, wrapping gifts, stocking shelves. I learned how to manage costumers, how to give the best service i could to customers . The hardest part of the job was being able to give the best advice at times for customers and finding the best products to fit a customers criteria that was very specific. The most enjoyable part of the job was wrapping gifts, being around the kids who would come into the store.
Nice place to work, co-workers are a hit or miss.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 November 2016
Typical day is to clock in, get the apron and name tag all set as well as put away your personal belongings and then get out on the floor. It differs on what section you are given each day (for example, cash and wrapping versus customer service and greeting) and expect to be called upon for other duties.

Team tends to be quite helpful, so make sure to ask questions if you need help! Be careful though, some co-workers may get annoyed (BUT there are some who are absolute sweethearts!).
Mastermind Cambridge
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON13 January 2017
I loved working at mastermind toys, I was only seasonal so I only got to work their for two months. It was a great experience, the staff we all amazing and very friendly. This is a great work environment. I would of loved to stay for a part time position but unfornutely it was only for christmas time.
Pros
great environment, great staff, fun
Enjoyable, comfortable working space
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 October 2016
All of my coworkers were happy and nice. It felt like a very professional yet laid back environment at the same time. I learned how to talk to and assist customers, how to reorganize and restock shelves and isles in an optimal fashion, and the very basics of the cash register. Typically, the store was moderately empty, except for the weekends and days coming close to the holidays. On those days the store was pretty full. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment that the store seemed to have. It never felt like a regular store - though that could be because it is a toy store.
Could have been a good place to work, but...
Temporary Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB31 January 2017
Management was absolutely horrendous. Myself and the other stock employees were constantly belittled and threatened with termination for not being able to accomplish an impossible job, with little to no help.
Job training consisted of the teenager who had been there for less than a week showing me what he knew and guessing the rest.
When the Alberta Employment Standards Code was cited for a reason I would not be participating in a specific task I was again threatened with termination.
An employee was strongly encouraged to quit through bullying after filing an HR complaint regarding managements inappropriate behavior.
The list goes on, but you get the idea. If you are looking for a welcoming team environment to work in, skip Mastermind Sherwood Park.
Pros
Easy work, consistant hours.
Cons
They don't care about their employees here.
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier/wrapper (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 January 2017
Very fun place to work, the staff is friendly and the hours go by fast when you reach the busy hours. plus you get to play with some of the toys. You can feel like a kid all over again walking into the store.
Pros
Awesome Staff
Cons
Paper Cuts.
Upbeat work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON23 January 2017
Working at Mastermind was an amazing and fulfilling job. There was always fun to be had and the people who worked there were always understanding and helpful when starting out.
Pros
Flexible Hours
As a sales/cashier
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
It was good some of the management was not as good, not all of them knew what they were doing. Working here was fun, we were always busy despite the ups and downs. The schedule was very flexible.
fun workplace
Web Associate (Former Employee) –  415 Milner Ave, Scarborough, ON M1B 2L126 November 2016
In Mastermind Toys it is very nice workplace. Supervisor and other co workers are very helpful. working as a Web Associate i learn so many new things.
Pros
Cons
8 hrs
Fast-paced but joyful atmosphere. A toy store that cares.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2016
Working at Mastermind Toys was an enriching and rewarding experience. Nothing was better than finding exactly the right toy for a delighted child or a relieved adult. The professional environment was informal and fun and supportive. All in all, I'm sorry I had to leave.
Pros
Busy, fast-paced, lots of great product, chance to find customer solutions.
Cons
No break room, may have to occasionally clean up messes in bathrooms.
Good
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON29 September 2016
Good company to work for as a seasonal worker. Enjoyed working with the staff and helping the customers when asked. Great learning experience and location.
Pros
hours
Cons
only seasonal
Great for a Seasonal Job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 July 2016
Excellent place to work if you are motivated by quotas and customer retention.
Opportunity to learn all areas of the store.
Very flexible and friendly staff
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Very little opportunity for FT employment
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON30 April 2016
I enjoyed working at Mastermind Toys. As it was my first part-time seasonal job, I learned a lot about being a cashier and the skills needed. Management and co-workers were very friendly and understanding. Scheduling was accommodated according to the schedule of the workers. Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience with a friendly working environment.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Fun work environment !
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 April 2016
Masterminds is a wonderful place to work if you're looking for part time work.

The staff are great, the work itself is fun, customers are great! You gain great skills, get to implement them on a regular bases, and are treated with lots of respect.

Only downfall is that unless it is the Christmas season you really don't get any shifts which is why it is a good job for a couple extra bucks but there is not much room for growth in my experience.
Fun place to work depending on management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2016
I worked as a Sales Associate/Cashier at Mastermind Toys for 2.5 years part-time while also in university. It was definitely easy to balance with school as I would get anywhere from 10-20 hours a week. In terms of management, for my first 1.5 years it was great! A super fun work environment where going to work was enjoyable. Unfortunately, management changed and everything went downhill. I think it is pretty typical for management to mold the enivornment in a retail environment and the turnover time is typically pretty quick in stores. Overall, working at Mastermind was enjoyable and co-workers were great! But, management has a big impact on how things can change!
Pros
great co-workers, usually pleasant customers
Cons
Christmas time is insane
Productive workplace with open concept
Sales Associate - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 May 2016
Days are fast but productive
Management is on point and informative
Co-workers are cooperative
Hard Part: Reaching high places, finding correct products
Enjoyable Part: Providing kids enjoyment
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Hours not guaranteed
Very Enjoyable!
Customer Service Representative - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 April 2016
Although my job term was short, just over the winter holidays, it was very enjoyable. The other staff were welcoming and the environment was positive. I very much enjoyed the interaction with the customers and assisting them with their purchases.
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
Insufficient hours, I would have liked to work more
Very energetic environment and welcoming coworkers!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 May 2016
It is a very fun place to work. It is full of wonderful people, good management, and awesome bonding moments. I would recommend working here to anyone who asked!

4.3