Mastermind Toys Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work depending on management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
I worked as a Sales Associate/Cashier at Mastermind Toys for 2.5 years part-time while also in university. It was definitely easy to balance with school as I would get anywhere from 10-20 hours a week. In terms of management, for my first 1.5 years it was great! A super fun work environment where going to work was enjoyable. Unfortunately, management changed and everything went downhill. I think it is pretty typical for management to mold the enivornment in a retail environment and the turnover time is typically pretty quick in stores. Overall, working at Mastermind was enjoyable and co-workers were great! But, management has a big impact on how things can change!
Pros
great co-workers, usually pleasant customers
Cons
Christmas time is insane
Friendly place where you can meet new people and get paid to play with toys
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood ParkOctober 6, 2015
On a daily basis you are to work the cash desk, help customers with locating desired toys, fill the floor stock, be aware of any sales or store promotions, wrap presents and daily house keeping (sweeping, mopping, cleaning the bathrooms and windows).

You will learn about many different types of toys for different ages and what type of toy suites what age group and gender best.

Working with (usually) the same people each shift you will become close with most staff and management.

Most difficult part of the shift will be the random bursts of guest purchases and present wrapping with not enough coverage but management is willing to help if available.

The best part of the day will be finding the exact present a customer wanted to purchase and then wrapping that present complementary for them. It always makes me happy when I can help a guest purchase their present and then not have to worry about wrap when they have screaming children with them.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Staff discount
Fast-paced but joyful atmosphere. A toy store that cares.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 18, 2016
Working at Mastermind Toys was an enriching and rewarding experience. Nothing was better than finding exactly the right toy for a delighted child or a relieved adult. The professional environment was informal and fun and supportive. All in all, I'm sorry I had to leave.
Pros
Busy, fast-paced, lots of great product, chance to find customer solutions.
Cons
No break room, may have to occasionally clean up messes in bathrooms.
Fun work environment !
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 23, 2016
Masterminds is a wonderful place to work if you're looking for part time work.

The staff are great, the work itself is fun, customers are great! You gain great skills, get to implement them on a regular bases, and are treated with lots of respect.

Only downfall is that unless it is the Christmas season you really don't get any shifts which is why it is a good job for a couple extra bucks but there is not much room for growth in my experience.
Productive and Enjoyable Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Supervisors and co-workers were very welcoming and fun people to work with. I enjoyed working in a place where the people were supportive and educational. I learned a lot working here. The hardest part of the job was getting used to being around so many different products and trying to memorize where each one was located to better assist customers. The most enjoyable part was looking forward to attending shifts and helping customers find what they need and leave the store happy.
Pros
Snacks provided for breaks
Cons
Spending a lot of time on your feet
Overall a great place
Seasonal sales associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Back in October of 2015, I was a seasonal sales associate for Mastermind Toys. A typical day at work would usually just be stocking and organizing shelves, assisting customers, and keep the store tidy. One thing I learned which was great since it was around Christmas time, was how to properly wrap presents. I probably wrapped over 100 presents within 3 months. My managers were very nice, very friendly people. Some of my co-workers on the other hand.....I was the youngest person working at Mastermind Toys at the time so I think a lot of my co-workers thought they could get away with pushing me around. The hardest part of that job honestly, was reorganizing items on the shelves and moving them around so more/new items would fit when we got new shipments. The most enjoyable part was helping customers find what they were looking for. It was great to see their faces light up with joy when I could help them find the toy that they were looking for.
Pros
getting paid on a 15 minute break
Cons
working much later than scheduled
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 30, 2016
I enjoyed working at Mastermind Toys. As it was my first part-time seasonal job, I learned a lot about being a cashier and the skills needed. Management and co-workers were very friendly and understanding. Scheduling was accommodated according to the schedule of the workers. Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience with a friendly working environment.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Very Enjoyable!
Customer Service Representative - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONApril 4, 2016
Although my job term was short, just over the winter holidays, it was very enjoyable. The other staff were welcoming and the environment was positive. I very much enjoyed the interaction with the customers and assisting them with their purchases.
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
Insufficient hours, I would have liked to work more
Productive workplace with open concept
Sales Associate - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 12, 2016
Days are fast but productive
Management is on point and informative
Co-workers are cooperative
Hard Part: Reaching high places, finding correct products
Enjoyable Part: Providing kids enjoyment
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Hours not guaranteed
Terrible Manager
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 11, 2016
When I first started at the Terra Losa location for Mastermind in Edmonton, it was a new manager by the name of M. The store was brand new, and this was M's first time being a full manager, and even though we opened just before the Christmas season we were doing very well.
However, the upper management were having a few issues with another manager from our largest store in South Common. So they decided to do a manager shuffle; moving the manager, assistant manager and a shift leader to Terra Losa replacing M and the assistant manager, with another associate transferring at the same time.
Suddenly there were less shifts for everyone because the new arrivals were given priority full time hours; from the first day, the new manager (Ch) lied to me about how the new hours were going to be set up, causing me to lose a full day per week from my pay check and all my shifts were changed from day shifts to closing night shifts.

I should have transferred with M to the other store, because everything that was once positive became a negative; Ch was lazy, she allowed jobs to take days that once took a shift and she was very inclusive with the two women that followed her that she would always refer to her co-workers as the other store (she considered South Common her store still even though corporate moved her due to her terrible managing)

All my stress came back, and within two months I had to leave.
Pros
It's a toy store, and it was fun when the new manager goes home
Cons
The new manager was terrible, still is likely terrible
Mastermind Toys-Best place to work at!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 11, 2016
Great work environment
Amazing staff members
Training is very informational
You get experience in different areas of the store
Fun work place with enjoyable people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Great store manager, always open and willing to talk. Makes himself readily approachable and contactable and is willing to work around your schedule to meet your needs.

Co-workers ages varied, mainly high school teenagers, thus a lot of gossip happens, but the small number of co-workers is nice, everyone knows each other well and would mean you yourself would get a steady amount of shifts.

Hardest part of the job is the limited number of tills to cash customers out during peak times (Christmas or good sale events), having to ask for numbers and new email subscriptions
Pros
Paid breaks, perfect store hours, nice staff
Cons
Number of tills is low for outflow of customers + outdated system
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCDecember 3, 2015
I loved working at Mastermind toys because of the good management and getting great hours to work during the week. My co-workers also made this job a very enjoyable experience.
Pros
Getting to work with kids
Cons
Constantly on feet
djsdfjl skdljksdn ksdd
cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
good work enviroment alot way succeed and good respect that was earned, issues with co workers were solved in timely and well rounded manner
a fun relaxed workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONDecember 21, 2015
I love mastermind toys. Its fun, everyone is friendly and gets along very well. im glad i got the chance to work there. The managers are amazing, they work with your availability very well.
Pros
paid break
Learning experience
Web Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Milner and ProgressAugust 19, 2015
At Mastermind Toys was a great learning experience for those who are just starting out in a warehouse. I've never worked in a warehouse before and its overwhelming. But the staff trains you and after a few days your on your own. Just focus on what you are doing that is all that matters.
Pros
Love the bonus and free lunches
Cons
standing on your feet everyday. You'll get use to it.
Productive and fun workplace with welcoming environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 28, 2015
A typical day at work would involve a positive atmosphere where customers were on a first name basis with most of the workers. I learned how to handle difficult customers in a positive manner so that they would leave with a great experience and hopefully a product. Management was fantastic at tanning new staff members and making sure that everyone felt like a part of a family. Co-workers were fantastic to work with as well.
Very fun and friendly environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCFebruary 2, 2015
I still remember, on the day of my group interview the managers pulled out a remote controlled t-rex and played with him in order to ease the nervousness in the group. Everyone was fun and friendly to be around. Work schedules were sent 2am weeks in advanced, and they were never overwhelming. The managers were very kind and considerate - they trusted us employees whole heartedly; they never nagged us to complete anything or watch our every move, and the amount of trust they gave to us only motivated us to work harder.
Pros
very fun; got to test out many toys
Cons
tiring but what retail position isn't?
A nice place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  BramptonJune 24, 2015
Really fun people and the ability to trade shifts easily makes it a very easy job to love. Knowing all the products can be a little overwhelming at first but once you know where everything is it becomes like second nature.
Pros
fun, always surrounded by toys and bright colors, rarely gets boring
Cons
the music can get annoying, but thats about it
Productive and fun workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2015
I restocked shelves and assisted customers with their shopping. I learned how to deal with impatient or rude customers in a respectable and professional manner. My co-workers were friendly and respectable. The hardest part of the job was the long hours on my feet at all times. The most enjoyable part was working with kids, and being creative with gift ideas.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short breaks

4.2