Mastermind Toys Employee Reviews

Nice place to work, co-workers are a hit or miss.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 November 2016
Typical day is to clock in, get the apron and name tag all set as well as put away your personal belongings and then get out on the floor. It differs on what section you are given each day (for example, cash and wrapping versus customer service and greeting) and expect to be called upon for other duties.

Team tends to be quite helpful, so make sure to ask questions if you need help! Be careful though, some co-workers may get annoyed (BUT there are some who are absolute sweethearts!).
Enjoyable, comfortable working space
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 October 2016
All of my coworkers were happy and nice. It felt like a very professional yet laid back environment at the same time. I learned how to talk to and assist customers, how to reorganize and restock shelves and isles in an optimal fashion, and the very basics of the cash register. Typically, the store was moderately empty, except for the weekends and days coming close to the holidays. On those days the store was pretty full. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment that the store seemed to have. It never felt like a regular store - though that could be because it is a toy store.
Fast-paced but joyful atmosphere. A toy store that cares.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2016
Working at Mastermind Toys was an enriching and rewarding experience. Nothing was better than finding exactly the right toy for a delighted child or a relieved adult. The professional environment was informal and fun and supportive. All in all, I'm sorry I had to leave.
Pros
Busy, fast-paced, lots of great product, chance to find customer solutions.
Cons
No break room, may have to occasionally clean up messes in bathrooms.
As a sales/cashier
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
It was good some of the management was not as good, not all of them knew what they were doing. Working here was fun, we were always busy despite the ups and downs. The schedule was very flexible.
Great for a Seasonal Job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 July 2016
Excellent place to work if you are motivated by quotas and customer retention.
Opportunity to learn all areas of the store.
Very flexible and friendly staff
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Very little opportunity for FT employment
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON30 April 2016
I enjoyed working at Mastermind Toys. As it was my first part-time seasonal job, I learned a lot about being a cashier and the skills needed. Management and co-workers were very friendly and understanding. Scheduling was accommodated according to the schedule of the workers. Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience with a friendly working environment.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Fun work environment !
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 April 2016
Masterminds is a wonderful place to work if you're looking for part time work.

The staff are great, the work itself is fun, customers are great! You gain great skills, get to implement them on a regular bases, and are treated with lots of respect.

Only downfall is that unless it is the Christmas season you really don't get any shifts which is why it is a good job for a couple extra bucks but there is not much room for growth in my experience.
Fun place to work depending on management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2016
I worked as a Sales Associate/Cashier at Mastermind Toys for 2.5 years part-time while also in university. It was definitely easy to balance with school as I would get anywhere from 10-20 hours a week. In terms of management, for my first 1.5 years it was great! A super fun work environment where going to work was enjoyable. Unfortunately, management changed and everything went downhill. I think it is pretty typical for management to mold the enivornment in a retail environment and the turnover time is typically pretty quick in stores. Overall, working at Mastermind was enjoyable and co-workers were great! But, management has a big impact on how things can change!
Pros
great co-workers, usually pleasant customers
Cons
Christmas time is insane
Good
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON29 September 2016
Good company to work for as a seasonal worker. Enjoyed working with the staff and helping the customers when asked. Great learning experience and location.
Pros
hours
Cons
only seasonal
Productive workplace with open concept
Sales Associate - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 May 2016
Days are fast but productive
Management is on point and informative
Co-workers are cooperative
Hard Part: Reaching high places, finding correct products
Enjoyable Part: Providing kids enjoyment
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Hours not guaranteed
Very Enjoyable!
Customer Service Representative - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 April 2016
Although my job term was short, just over the winter holidays, it was very enjoyable. The other staff were welcoming and the environment was positive. I very much enjoyed the interaction with the customers and assisting them with their purchases.
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
Insufficient hours, I would have liked to work more
Very energetic environment and welcoming coworkers!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 May 2016
It is a very fun place to work. It is full of wonderful people, good management, and awesome bonding moments. I would recommend working here to anyone who asked!
Productive and Enjoyable Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2016
Supervisors and co-workers were very welcoming and fun people to work with. I enjoyed working in a place where the people were supportive and educational. I learned a lot working here. The hardest part of the job was getting used to being around so many different products and trying to memorize where each one was located to better assist customers. The most enjoyable part was looking forward to attending shifts and helping customers find what they need and leave the store happy.
Pros
Snacks provided for breaks
Cons
Spending a lot of time on your feet
Mastermind Toys-Best place to work at!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON11 April 2016
Great work environment
Amazing staff members
Training is very informational
You get experience in different areas of the store
Overall a great place
Seasonal sales associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON9 January 2016
Back in October of 2015, I was a seasonal sales associate for Mastermind Toys. A typical day at work would usually just be stocking and organizing shelves, assisting customers, and keep the store tidy. One thing I learned which was great since it was around Christmas time, was how to properly wrap presents. I probably wrapped over 100 presents within 3 months. My managers were very nice, very friendly people. Some of my co-workers on the other hand.....I was the youngest person working at Mastermind Toys at the time so I think a lot of my co-workers thought they could get away with pushing me around. The hardest part of that job honestly, was reorganizing items on the shelves and moving them around so more/new items would fit when we got new shipments. The most enjoyable part was helping customers find what they were looking for. It was great to see their faces light up with joy when I could help them find the toy that they were looking for.
Pros
getting paid on a 15 minute break
Cons
working much later than scheduled
Fun work place with enjoyable people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 September 2015
Great store manager, always open and willing to talk. Makes himself readily approachable and contactable and is willing to work around your schedule to meet your needs.

Co-workers ages varied, mainly high school teenagers, thus a lot of gossip happens, but the small number of co-workers is nice, everyone knows each other well and would mean you yourself would get a steady amount of shifts.

Hardest part of the job is the limited number of tills to cash customers out during peak times (Christmas or good sale events), having to ask for numbers and new email subscriptions
Pros
Paid breaks, perfect store hours, nice staff
Cons
Number of tills is low for outflow of customers + outdated system
a fun relaxed workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 December 2015
I love mastermind toys. Its fun, everyone is friendly and gets along very well. im glad i got the chance to work there. The managers are amazing, they work with your availability very well.
Pros
paid break
djsdfjl skdljksdn ksdd
cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2016
good work enviroment alot way succeed and good respect that was earned, issues with co workers were solved in timely and well rounded manner
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC3 December 2015
I loved working at Mastermind toys because of the good management and getting great hours to work during the week. My co-workers also made this job a very enjoyable experience.
Pros
Getting to work with kids
Cons
Constantly on feet
Learning experience
Web Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Milner and Progress19 August 2015
At Mastermind Toys was a great learning experience for those who are just starting out in a warehouse. I've never worked in a warehouse before and its overwhelming. But the staff trains you and after a few days your on your own. Just focus on what you are doing that is all that matters.
Pros
Love the bonus and free lunches
Cons
standing on your feet everyday. You'll get use to it.

4.2