Massage Heights Employee Reviews

Not worth it
Lifestyle Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB28 December 2017
Very poorly managed and disorganized company. My pay cheques were wrong more often than not and they always “forgot” to give me vacation pay for working stat holidays. Hours were all over the place and it was difficult to have a life outside of work.
I worked there for 6 months and by the time I quit I was the most senior Lifestyle Consultant. There isn’t much value placed in staff and it shows with the high turnover rate. There is a lot of pressure to make sales and the techniques you are taught to use are pretty questionable and dishonest. A large part of the job was calling current and past members trying to get them back into the retreat. The amount of phone calls got to be ridiculous and made us look desperate. Keep your dignity and just don’t bother with this company.
Pros
Discounted massage
Cons
Low pay, high sales pressure
They ask alot for very little pay
LIfestyle Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2017
A typical day consisted of a lot of phone calls, SO many phone calls. Almost to the point of harassing guests. The upper management is VERY pushy with sales, expecting 50% conversion (how many non-members you get to sign up)
The hardest part about the job, is dealing with angry guests ( mostly about the phone calls) and the pressure put on by management for sales.
The training process is long and drawn out, and includes a lot of 'role-playing' with scripts to learn the exact wording and technique they want you to use to sell programs.
The job is basically a typical reception job, but with the extreme pressure from sales.
The pay is minimum, with potential for commission and bonuses (doesn't happen often)
Pros
Amazing RMT team
Cons
Very unpredictable hours, low pay, high expectations, untrained and young upper mangement
Won’t hire you for who you may, or may not know.
Prospective massage therapist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 October 2017
Massage heights wouldn’t I hire me due to me working with one of their past employees, whome I’m assuming they left on bad terms with. Not even giving me the opportunity to show them MY standards and ethics. Do not work for a company that doesn’t care for their therapists and makes judgements based on other situations.
wouldnt recommend
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2017
Therapists are expected to work long hour (sometimes 6-7 days a week)
Management guilt trips you if you are not fully booked, sick or need a day off
They claim to give you vacation time, but then expect the employee to find people to cover the shifts you will miss
The pay is FAR below industry standard (70-30 split, 70 going to the company not the therapist)
Therapists receive a commission for add-ons, requests, and new members signing up, but you have to dillegently check your paycheque to ensure that you are actually receiving all of your commissions
Pros
You are an employee so you do recieve minimum wage if you have open appointments
Cons
Over worked, underpaid, no respect, treated like you are expendable
Horrible management with pay that you can barely live off of with long hours.
Lifestyle Consultant/Reception (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2017
The management is horrible, treats you like you're nothing to them. The pay is ridiculously low for how much work you have to do within that job that they do not tell you within training and interview.
Pros
massage discounts
Cons
long hours, small pay, no breaks
Poor, poor company to work for
Lifestyle Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2017
I have worked for Massage Heights for a couple months, and it has been awful. I'm usually the type of person who will stay at their job for years, but this one doesn't make the cut.
Management is less than mediocre - they always leave the retreat early, nor do they work at the front desk with their associates like they are supposed to. If a confliction arises, they are always quick to judge and do not always ask both stories beforehand.
There is literally ZERO opportunity to move up within the company, especially because they don't really have any new retreats opening up and anyone moving in to new positions.
The pay is awful. $13/hour. You are a receptionist AND a sales associate, not including all of the other tasks that you need to do during your shift. They do however give hourly bonuses if your retreat has a high appointment booking percentage, but it is extremely unfair that it is not based on performance.
Your hours are also not guaranteed. Even if you were hired as a full-time associate, it will be less than 30 hrs/week
They do not do performance reviews or raises, which is definitely a must if they want to see any staff retention.
Pros
Discount on massage and prodict
Cons
Poor pay, awful management, no room for advancement
Poor Management
R.M.T (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 June 2016
The management is disorganized, biased, and don't know how to resolve conflict. The team leads have no real qualifications or experience with human resource skills, if someone doesn't like you - regardless of your personal performance, client feedback you'll be fired with no opportunity for conflict resolution or process.

One of the team leads seems to have a bias with race and gender and will overstep the boundaries of professionalism when he is speaking to you.

The pay is not impressive when weighed against industry standards and therapists are also charged with laundry duty in most locations, which breeds stress and bickering between team members.

To accommodate their massages marketed as one hour, clients actually receive 50 mins, so that they can book in as many clients as possible. Some clients don't mind, others do and find it misleading.

The only location I would recommend is on 4th Street where the team seems at ease, they have laundry service, and the team leaders actually care about their staff.
Pros
Incentives, health spending account
Cons
Management and human resources
Not the best.
Lifestyle Consultant/Receptionist/ (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2016
I worked for them for over a year and alot changed when the district manager left for maternity leave and is now currently being run by someone else. I loved/enjoyed working at massage heights but when the fill-in district manager took over, the compassion that this company had is now non-existing. I wouldn't of left if the company actually took care of their employees and the actual potential they have instead of basing that off of "sales performance". I had to train my own manager at the time on how to do her job because the district manager didn't "have time" and felt very sure she was ready when that said manager told me herself she wasn't ready. Honestly, if you can work somewhere else, do it. Anyone who has worked there will tell you the exact same thing if not worse.
Pros
Staff members
Cons
management, Inequality, abused.
Fun environment
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Old Strathcona6 May 2016
Working at Massage heights was a good experience, everyone was fun to work with, exception of the change in management. Once the management changed a lot of good employees were getting fired and leaving which made the experience not so much fun. It would not be a place i would stay for a long duration but its a place to start.
Fun happy environment; needs more support for staff
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  9737 MacLeod Trail SW #620, Calgary, AB T2J 0P62 May 2016
a typical day at work consisted of opening the store, checking the till balance is still at 200. Then the lights music get turned on. Set up the files for the massage therapists. Then as guests come in for their massage you must speak with them and get an idea of what their needs are and how we can best help them feel better.
collect all payments of services rendered. as new guest come in for their massage you must attempt find out if the guest is interested in coming for massage more regularly then attempt to make a membership sale.

Then you must do call calls to confirm appointments for the next day. make next day, 3 month, and 6 month call backs to guests who haven't booked back in and check how the massage experience was for them.

Then you hand make all receipts for the next day and pull all files as well. you file all files from the current day as the day goes on.

What I learned was how to work on my own even when it is busy and still get everything finished and done properly. my co-workers were amazing and work hard but there simply was not enough staff to get everything done in time and still make enough sales and focus enough energy on clients needs. I would say that is the hardest part of the job is fighting for more support from the company.

the best part of the job was the fact you get to meet a lot of nice people and form friendships with your guests, all while helping them lead a more healthy lifestyle.
Pros
Massage benefits
Cons
unpaid lunches and full time hours is only 32 a week
good environment for therapists to work in.
Register Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2016
Swedish Massage;Deep Tissue;Hot Stone Massage;
Warm atmosphere with true camaradarie amongst professional team members
Pros
Ergonomic work environment including hydraulic massage tables
Cons
lower salary
not a good place to work if you're looking for a job that doesn't conflict with your life.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 December 2015
always drama with the owner, and most of the other girls there. under pay their therapists and also do not treat their emplyees fairly. They will also accuse of things based on things they only heard and have never seen, i did enjoy when i worked alone though and there was no one around to pressure me to make more sales, or make me feel inadequit.
Pros
prizes for hitting quota.
Cons
long hours, workplace drama, pressured sales to hit quota, terrible managment.
Make your own hours
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Calgary26 February 2015
Great place to work if you like being busy. Flexible hours, great team, you choose how many massages you want to do in a day, clients are booked for you without you needing to find your own clientele, and you can be hired after your 1st year of massage school.

Commission for massages at the beginning is $12.50/30 minute $25/60 min, $37.50/90 min $50/2 hours.

Downfalls-
-if you do not have an appointment then you make an hourly rate, which is minimum wage. The company pays you the higher of the two-your commissions from massaging, OR your hourly rate for the amount of hours you worked. Ex: If you work a 7 hour shift, but you only have two 1 hour massages ($50 in commission), then you only get paid your minimum hourly rate, because it is more than you made in commission for the 2 massages you did.. $10.20 x7 hours=$71.40. Although rare that you only have 2 massages in your day, it does happen from time to time.
-Clients can not show up for their appointment 3 times before they get charged. If they don't show up, or if they cancel last minute, you don't get paid the commission.

Added bonus's-
If a client requests you as a therapist you get an additional $3 added to your commission, hot stones-additional $5, foot scrub and cold stone face massage-add $3 for each
Full benefits after 3 months
Pay Raises and awards for high performance, and after you reach a certain amount of massage hours with the company
Calm environment
Lifestyle Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2014
Great place to work. I learned a lot from this place. Learned how to listen to customers needs rather than just sell memberships this is one of the most important lessons i took away . Learned how to make people feel comfortable and valued. Learned to disarm negative energy with kindness.
Very very busy retreat
Registered Massage therapist (Current Employee) –  Calgary29 May 2014
Very busy retreat, lots of repeat clients but the salary not the best.
Pros
Provide laundry and materials
Cons
I choose to work 12 hour shifts
not great place
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2013
when requesting a raise in pay the company didnt want to give it ti the therpist ...they require you to provide ur own insurance so that they can us it so they can make money off of u ...the managament is disorganized an dosnt now how to treat ther employee right or treat ther therpist right
Pros
great equipment to work with
Cons
they dont pay u enuf